The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: Bobby Isosceles on May 25, 2005, 03:02:16 pm

Title: Minimal Cuntz-Krieger Dilation
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on May 25, 2005, 03:02:16 pm
It turns out there is a way to minimally dilate a generator of a Cuntz-Krieger algebera. That's fantastic!

http://arxiv.org/abs/math.OA/0505499

I, too, prefer my Cuntz-Krieger minimally dilated
Title: Minimal Cuntz-Krieger Dilation
Post by: V-Adore on May 25, 2005, 03:46:09 pm
Eh, this don't have nothin' on The Sun, Our Shiny Friend. (http://francis.williams.edu/search/cQB3+.W5+1992+R43/cqb++++3+w5+1992+r43/-2%2C-1%2C0%2CE/frameset&FF=cqb++++3+w5+1992+r43&1%2C1%2C)
Title: Minimal Cuntz-Krieger Dilation
Post by: CortJstr on May 25, 2005, 04:31:08 pm
Is this like when Calvin wrote a book report on Dick and Jane that he had apparently run through an Infitite Pretention Engine (aka my company's "HR" department)?

[edit: unforgivable grammar error]
Title: Minimal Cuntz-Krieger Dilation
Post by: V-Adore on May 25, 2005, 05:11:02 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Is this like when Calvin wrote a book report on Dick and Jane that he had apparently run through an Infitite Pretention Engine (aka my companies "HR" department)?

Actually, I've been told that the thesis itself is competent enough. The story behind it is that the author worked with a fairly prominent astronomy professor here who, in addition to being an internationally-prominent astronomer, is also a Pat-level dick. The student got pretty fed up (dull surprise) and, as revenge, changed the title to "The Sun, Our Shiny Friend" between the prof's final approval and submitting the thesis to the library. Much like the case of scurvy here, it's a story I would have expected to be an urban legend were the evidence of it not obvious. Maybe I'll check it out this summer.
Title: Minimal Cuntz-Krieger Dilation
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on May 25, 2005, 07:45:27 pm
How could one live with the name "Cuntz?"
Title: Minimal Cuntz-Krieger Dilation
Post by: St_Zartan on May 25, 2005, 08:14:16 pm
Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
How could one live with the name "Cuntz?"


Preferably in a non-English speaking country.

Without access to the Internet.

Or telephones.
Title: Minimal Cuntz-Krieger Dilation
Post by: CortJstr on May 25, 2005, 08:48:04 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
How could one live with the name "Cuntz?"

Preferably in a non-English speaking country.

Without access to the Internet.

Or telephones.

Plus it wouldn't hurt to look like Bolo Yeung (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001866/) (Bloodsport, Enter the Dragon).
Title: Minimal Cuntz-Krieger Dilation
Post by: AlohaDawg on May 25, 2005, 11:37:38 pm
Ironic that his IMDB profile has no picture, though.

For those of you not knowing, Bolo (http://images.google.com/images?q=Bolo%20Yeung&hl=en&lr=&sa=N&tab=wi)
Title: Minimal Cuntz-Krieger Dilation
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on May 26, 2005, 12:44:48 am
Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
How could one live with the name "Cuntz?"


What if this mathematician Cuntz wrote a paper with the Chinaman mathematician Wang?

The Cuntz-Wang hypothesis would rock the mathematical world.

EDIT: There is a Belgian Mathematician Jacques Tits. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacques_Tits)

CUNTZ-TITS!!!
Title: Minimal Cuntz-Krieger Dilation
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on May 26, 2005, 01:34:34 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
For those of you not knowing, Bolo (http://images.google.com/images?q=Bolo%20Yeung&hl=en&lr=&sa=N&tab=wi)


It's motherfuck*ng Chong Li!

I actually knew a girl in college who had the last name Kuntz.  Pronounced "Koontz."  She got married shortly after college and took her husband's name.  Big surprise, there.

Our mathemeticians could also hang out with Cleveland Indians pitching coach Dick Pole.
Title: Minimal Cuntz-Krieger Dilation
Post by: andalucia on May 26, 2005, 01:48:01 pm
Sometimes People Have Names That Are Similar to Terms For Genitalia.
Title: Minimal Cuntz-Krieger Dilation
Post by: St_Zartan on May 26, 2005, 02:15:58 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
Sometimes People Have Names That Are Similar to Terms For Genitalia.


You could have just said S.P.H.N.T.A.S.T.F.G. and we would have known what you meant.

We're not babies.
Title: Minimal Cuntz-Krieger Dilation
Post by: andalucia on May 26, 2005, 02:19:24 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Quote from: "andalucia"
Sometimes People Have Names That Are Similar to Terms For Genitalia.


You could have just said S.P.H.N.T.A.S.T.F.G. and we would have known what you meant.

We're not babies.


I actually really like that; it sounds sort of like a variant on "fantastic": sphantastfg!  Or maybe not so much.
Title: Minimal Cuntz-Krieger Dilation
Post by: CortJstr on May 26, 2005, 02:25:27 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
Sometimes People Have Names That Are Similar to Terms For Genitalia.

Schoolhouse Rock: The Lost Episodes.
Title: Minimal Cuntz-Krieger Dilation
Post by: AugustWest on May 26, 2005, 03:08:56 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "andalucia"
Sometimes People Have Names That Are Similar to Terms For Genitalia.

Schoolhouse Rock: The Lost Episodes.


/Golf claps
Title: Minimal Cuntz-Krieger Dilation
Post by: miles on May 26, 2005, 04:41:06 pm
Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
I actually knew a girl in college who had the last name Kuntz.  Pronounced "Koontz."  She got married shortly after college and took her husband's name.  Big surprise, there.


Knew a dude with the last name Kuntz, pronounced "CUNTS."  He would correct you, because of course you would say "Koontz."
Title: Minimal Cuntz-Krieger Dilation
Post by: V-Adore on May 26, 2005, 05:10:29 pm
I have a little bit less sympathy for guys named "Dick," because by and large they could just go by "Richard" or one of its many other socially-acceptable nicknames if they really wanted to. The best of these I've seen lately was a finance company that was attempting to recruit on my campus -- "Dick Flood Financial Services," run by the eponymous Mr. Flood. It was all I could do to keep from making money shot jokes all week.
Title: Minimal Cuntz-Krieger Dilation
Post by: AlohaDawg on May 26, 2005, 05:24:11 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "andalucia"
Sometimes People Have Names That Are Similar to Terms For Genitalia.

Schoolhouse Rock: The Lost Episodes.


It sounds like a fairly credible late 1970's After School Special too. A very sincere effort by Meredith Baxter-Birney and David Birney to educate us about this social issue, with help from Kristy McNichol and maybe Greg Evigan.

Remember Greg Evigan (http://timstvshowcase.com/bj.html)?
Title: Minimal Cuntz-Krieger Dilation
Post by: miles on May 26, 2005, 05:24:18 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I have a little bit less sympathy for guys named "Dick," because by and large they could just go by "Richard" or one of its many other socially-acceptable nicknames if they really wanted to. The best of these I've seen lately was a finance company that was attempting to recruit on my campus -- "Dick Flood Financial Services," run by the eponymous Mr. Flood. It was all I could do to keep from making money shot jokes all week.


OK, sorry, but I didn't start this game.

There is a realtor in the Tucson area named Dick Surges.  Google it, but skip the first couple sites.

Dick isn't such a bad name, I think.

Edit:  That is, it's normal enough that when I hear it I don't think of a c*ck, unless it's combined with Surges.  Then, frankly, I think of a boner or ejaculation.  I CAN'T HELP IT.
Title: Minimal Cuntz-Krieger Dilation
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on May 26, 2005, 06:06:22 pm
Quote from: "miles"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I have a little bit less sympathy for guys named "Dick," because by and large they could just go by "Richard" or one of its many other socially-acceptable nicknames if they really wanted to. The best of these I've seen lately was a finance company that was attempting to recruit on my campus -- "Dick Flood Financial Services," run by the eponymous Mr. Flood. It was all I could do to keep from making money shot jokes all week.


OK, sorry, but I didn't start this game.

There is a realtor in the Tucson area named Dick Surges.  Google it, but skip the first couple sites.

Dick isn't such a bad name, I think.

Edit:  That is, it's normal enough that when I hear it I don't think of a c*ck, unless it's combined with Surges.  Then, frankly, I think of a boner or ejaculation.  I CAN'T HELP IT.


I have a picture of a realtor's office. Her name is Bonnie Jo Morecock.

That's right. BJ Morecock realty.

I will get a scanner one of these days.
Title: Minimal Cuntz-Krieger Dilation
Post by: CortJstr on May 26, 2005, 06:49:34 pm
This one isn't sexual but it always makes me laugh: Wilma P. Mankiller Health Center. There must be a Dr. Payne there. I will extremely disappointed in the universe if there isn't a Dr. Payne.
Title: Minimal Cuntz-Krieger Dilation
Post by: Gimpson on May 26, 2005, 06:57:22 pm
If we're making with the genitalia jokes, I guess I have to post this picture:

(http://www.gimpysoft.com/images/randompics/holmes.jpg)

I took a picture of that truck in a Hooters parking lot.[/img]