The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: cellardoor on June 03, 2005, 09:44:05 am

Title: everyone within reason is invited - 3rd June 05
Post by: cellardoor on June 03, 2005, 09:44:05 am
See, once more Onstad has irrevocably changed a phrase I use quite a lot!
He's like Shakespeare, in so far as he's adding to the ol' lexicon.
Also loving Ray's smirk when Beef puts on the medallion.
Ray is basically a good guy.
Title: everyone within reason is invited - 3rd June 05
Post by: lloyd on June 03, 2005, 11:48:36 am
I love how Onstad manages to tell so much about Beef's change of temperament just through Ray's reaction:

"Okay, uh huh, right. I, uh... Ray loves you too."

This basically implies that Beef is so mellow at this point that he would actually say not only that he loves Ray, but that he would refer to himself in the third person in order to do so.

I see tears of joy streaming down Beef's face, all welling up with previously unacknowledged emotion. Inevitably too sweet for Beef.
Title: everyone within reason is invited - 3rd June 05
Post by: CortJstr on June 03, 2005, 02:15:16 pm
Everyone within reason is invited? I wonder if that includes Todd.

Also, I first read that as "if Queen woke you up" and I can't decide if that would be more special or less than "the Queen"
Title: everyone within reason is invited - 3rd June 05
Post by: cellardoor on June 03, 2005, 02:22:35 pm
Zombie Freddie Mercury!
Brian May punishing his axe, his amps tied to your bedposts, blood dribbling fom your nose.
Title: everyone within reason is invited - 3rd June 05
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on June 03, 2005, 02:33:07 pm
Quote from: "lloyd"
I love how Onstad manages to tell so much about Beef's change of temperament just through Ray's reaction:

"Okay, uh huh, right. I, uh... Ray loves you too."

This basically implies that Beef is so mellow at this point that he would actually say not only that he loves Ray, but that he would refer to himself in the third person in order to do so.

I see tears of joy streaming down Beef's face, all welling up with previously unacknowledged emotion. Inevitably too sweet for Beef.


I thought the 'Ray loves you too' was just because Ray likes to refer to himself in the third person.

Agreee that the smirk on panel 9 is awesome, but I like the little look of anticipation in panel 4.
Title: everyone within reason is invited - 3rd June 05
Post by: AugustWest on June 03, 2005, 03:12:01 pm
I'll admit to being pretty much underwhelmed with this arc.  However, this is a great strip.
Title: everyone within reason is invited - 3rd June 05
Post by: Doc on June 03, 2005, 03:16:45 pm
Quote from: "lloyd"
I love how Onstad manages to tell so much about Beef's change of temperament just through Ray's reaction:

I have to agree, Onstad's writing elevates the 'talking head' style comic to a new level.  I also like the sense from the change of angles that Ray is kind of pacing around, slightly jittery, it holds still while he is happy that Beef is going to be ok, but starts again once it gets, well, Too Special.

I'm suprised it had such a profound effect on Beef though, but maybe its just the result of his hella-depression, when he goes the other way he goes all the way.

This (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=09122002) is certainly what Beef must look like right now though.
Title: everyone within reason is invited - 3rd June 05
Post by: cellardoor on June 03, 2005, 03:32:02 pm
AHA!
So, Achewood = Cheers.
Therefore if I find a "which Cheer's character are you most like?" 'net quiz then i'll have found and Achewood personality quiz as well.
Hurrah!

http://selectsmart.com/FREE/select.php?client=phoebegirl

Shit! I'm Diane.
Title: the medallion might fall out of Beef's pocket?
Post by: gearnest on June 03, 2005, 04:05:38 pm
I didn't think he had any clothes (and therefore no pockets) except when he's wearing the short-sleeved dress shirt and tie, writing code. . .  :?:
Title: Re: the medallion might fall out of Beef's pocket?
Post by: andalucia on June 03, 2005, 04:12:32 pm
Quote from: "gearnest"
I didn't think he had any clothes (and therefore no pockets) except when he's wearing the short-sleeved dress shirt and tie, writing code. . .  :?:


You have a point, and more importantly, a website about vintage banjos.  As such, I think you will fit in well here.  Hi!
Title: everyone within reason is invited - 3rd June 05
Post by: wombat on June 03, 2005, 04:22:05 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
.
Also, I first read that as "if Queen woke you up" and I can't decide if that would be more special or less than "the Queen"


Me too, and I was definitely disappointed when I noticed the 'the'.
Title: Re: the medallion might fall out of Beef's pocket?
Post by: gearnest on June 03, 2005, 04:23:26 pm
Wow. . . that must mean I typed in my URL correctly!  Amazing. . .
Thanks for the welcome.  I discovered Achewood a little less than a year ago and it has become a part of my daily routine.  I e-mailed Onstad a while back when the banjo was featured in one of the arcs and found out that he is a budding player himself.
Title: everyone within reason is invited - 3rd June 05
Post by: V-Adore on June 03, 2005, 04:50:58 pm
Welcome, gearnest. You'll fit in fine.

Anyway, this is a good strip. I particularly like that we're not actually seeing Chochaco-Possessed Beef, because the mental images are way more precious than anything 'stad could have actually written. I am still not sure whether or not this is all based on an art error, but hey.
Title: everyone within reason is invited - 3rd June 05
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on June 03, 2005, 05:37:14 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Welcome, gearnest. You'll fit in fine.

Anyway, this is a good strip. I particularly like that we're not actually seeing Chochaco-Possessed Beef, because the mental images are way more precious than anything 'stad could have actually written. I am still not sure whether or not this is all based on an art error, but hey.


Chochacho doesn't possess. He merely facilitates a good time.
Title: everyone within reason is invited - 3rd June 05
Post by: AlohaDawg on June 03, 2005, 06:07:28 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Everyone within reason is invited? I wonder if that includes Todd.

Also, I first read that as "if Queen woke you up" and I can't decide if that would be more special or less than "the Queen"


It's really special when "A Queen" wakes you up. Especially when you don't remember going to sleep. Or where you are.
Title: everyone within reason is invited - 3rd June 05
Post by: bdeth dot com on June 03, 2005, 06:08:57 pm
1. Ray looks like he's about to crap his thong because of how sad he is while having to tell Beef about the Queen.

2. Stiller (looking like the Scarecrow (http://www.imdb.com/gallery/mptv/1089/Mptv/1089/3823-0045.jpg?path=pgallery&path_key=Bolger,%20Ray)) must be quite upset with Beef for wearing the Chochacho.

3. Where are Beef's nipples if he is truly naked? I suggest that he is always wearing a full-body leotard.
Title: everyone within reason is invited - 3rd June 05
Post by: Formica on June 04, 2005, 12:00:43 am
Epiphany:

Beef is acting like an ecstacy newb on his first roll, after the rush has hit and he's started to settle down onto the plateau, but before his eyes have started twitching.

I wonder if that is how Ray feels, perpetually.
Title: everyone within reason is invited - 3rd June 05
Post by: Noah on June 04, 2005, 04:11:26 am
"be completely a dick"

god i love the way ray words things
Title: Re: the medallion might fall out of Beef's pocket?
Post by: Bozack on June 06, 2005, 07:42:21 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"

You have a point, and more importantly, a website about vintage banjos.  As such, I think you will fit in well here.  Hi!


This needs to be on an Official TOUAMB shirt.

TOUAMB- You have a point, and more importantly, a website about vintage banjos. As such, I think you will fit in well here.
Title: Re: the medallion might fall out of Beef's pocket?
Post by: St_Zartan on June 06, 2005, 08:19:47 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
This needs to be on an Official TOUAMB shirt.

TOUAMB- You have a point, and more importantly, a website about vintage banjos. As such, I think you will fit in well here.


Yeah, you know, I think I get enough beatings at recess without actually fuck*ng provoking them.