The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: CortJstr on June 05, 2005, 05:26:55 pm

Title: June bugs? No, June blogs.
Post by: CortJstr on June 05, 2005, 05:26:55 pm
Great. Now Pat's posting his poetry. Great job, Onstad. Look what you've subjected us to.
Title: June bugs? No, June blogs.
Post by: jough on June 05, 2005, 10:21:45 pm
Man, I can't believe Onstad has kept up the blogs this long.  I haven't read them in a few months although I did check out Pat's poem - I was going to lay down some hardcore explication here but then I remembered that I had more important things to do, like lay on my futon and really listen to the Killers's "Hot Fuss" because I was told that the reason I thought it was derivative dreck was because I didn't really listen to it.  It gets one more listen before it gets deep sixed into erased bit oblivion.
Title: June bugs? No, June blogs.
Post by: Golfhaus on June 06, 2005, 04:24:20 am
Quote from: "Lyle"

ENGLISH MAAAAAAAAAAAAAN
GARBAGE CAAAAAAAAAAAAAN

LIMEY BROOOOOOOAAAAAAAD
EELS AN' COOOOOOOOOOOOOD

EAT A FUCKIN PASTRY PIE
AIN'T TOO SOON THAT YOU WOULD DIE

WHATCHA GOT
WHATCHA GOT


That is about the PERFECT chant for a soccer match, right there. I would maybe say "WHATCHA GOT" three times, but picture yourself inside some 1930's-era stadium, with crappy seats because they put them in 50 years later when they were forced to, chanting that with 50,000 others, and tell me you don't want to go bash some cheeky bastard's face in with a bottle because YOU 'ORE THA WRONG COLORS ON THIS DAY, MATE.
Title: June bugs? No, June blogs.
Post by: Choop on June 06, 2005, 05:28:41 am
Dude, I want to see Teodor's pilot. It sounds just good/bad enough for some studio exec to get his hands (paws?) on it and ruin/fix it.
Title: June bugs? No, June blogs.
Post by: Golfhaus on June 06, 2005, 06:57:44 am
I agree totally - I don't watch cooking shows, but that sounds hell of awesome. My boy Cornelius just got it plain wrong here.
Title: June bugs? No, June blogs.
Post by: CortJstr on June 06, 2005, 12:55:19 pm
I just can't imagine white wine shooting out of a fountain that used to be for Sprite.
Title: June bugs? No, June blogs.
Post by: andalucia on June 06, 2005, 01:24:02 pm
"and hundreds more are to follow"

Also, Burlington?  Wouldn't have thought that was a Patlike place.
Title: June bugs? No, June blogs.
Post by: Emergent_C on June 06, 2005, 02:41:40 pm
How sublime is an old soft drink dispenser that now shoots such as chicken stock and olive oil?! Take that, Alton Brown, you hack!
Title: June bugs? No, June blogs.
Post by: CortJstr on June 06, 2005, 04:46:10 pm
Quote from: "Emergent_C"
How sublime is an old soft drink dispenser that now shoots such as chicken stock and olive oil?! Take that, Alton Brown, you hack!

And a fire extiguisher is a multitasker because you can use it to chill a six-pack in 3 minutes.
Title: June bugs? No, June blogs.
Post by: Turbo Ninja on June 06, 2005, 09:24:58 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "Emergent_C"
How sublime is an old soft drink dispenser that now shoots such as chicken stock and olive oil?! Take that, Alton Brown, you hack!

And a fire extiguisher is a multitasker because you can use it to chill a six-pack in 3 minutes.


Thanks, Mythbusters!
Title: June bugs? No, June blogs.
Post by: Null on June 10, 2005, 08:12:49 pm
Philippe is the greatest poet of the 21st century.   Other poets are still scrambling over the wreckage of the language they trashed, and they will never catch up to Philippe since he is now very far ahead of them.  Too far ahead of them, in the view of many.
Title: June bugs? No, June blogs.
Post by: CortJstr on June 12, 2005, 12:13:33 am
Ray's theory on the creation of the Russian alphabet is glorious. That will make me chuckle for a while. But I totally didn't need that mental image of Spongebath.
Title: June bugs? No, June blogs.
Post by: Lister on June 12, 2005, 09:24:52 am
You have to admit that it does need to be one hell of a party for that to happen to such a per...
stuf...
ca...
being.
Title: June bugs? No, June blogs.
Post by: CortJstr on June 13, 2005, 12:43:15 pm
It's like the Risotto Wars except we have to read Pat's poetry. In other words this is much much worse.
Title: June bugs? No, June blogs.
Post by: arkabee on June 13, 2005, 02:13:29 pm
"My journal is as deep as the waters of the disenfranchised."  Pat

that is an eleven.  i don't even have the words.
Title: June bugs? No, June blogs.
Post by: V-Adore on June 15, 2005, 08:19:09 pm
Gotta love checking up on blogs and finding this:

--> :) <--

This and "dirtcrap" have made my day.
Title: June bugs? No, June blogs.
Post by: CortJstr on June 16, 2005, 01:26:52 pm
Geez, just how distinctive can this car be? What, did he get a rainbow metal flake Prowler or something?
Title: June bugs? No, June blogs.
Post by: pmcd9 on June 16, 2005, 01:34:20 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
This and "dirtcrap" have made my day.

Yes, dirtcrap is splendid.

~Paul
Title: June bugs? No, June blogs.
Post by: pmcd9 on June 16, 2005, 01:45:00 pm
No, Onstad's not paranoid at all.  Not a bit.

~Paul
Title: June bugs? No, June blogs.
Post by: bdeth dot com on June 16, 2005, 02:09:32 pm
He looks so skinny in those track photos.

He only THINKS I use NIN cds. I use AOL cd's!!
Title: June bugs? No, June blogs.
Post by: V-Adore on June 16, 2005, 02:30:22 pm
Man, nobody's stalkin' Onstad over the internet. His dog, of course, is another case entirely, but hey.
Title: June bugs? No, June blogs.
Post by: CortJstr on June 16, 2005, 02:40:08 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Man, nobody's stalkin' Onstad over the internet. His dog, of course, is another case entirely, but hey.

Didn't somebody track down the stuff he did for his college humor magazine back on Dumbrella?
Title: June bugs? No, June blogs.
Post by: V-Adore on June 16, 2005, 02:53:51 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Man, nobody's stalkin' Onstad over the internet. His dog, of course, is another case entirely, but hey.

Didn't somebody track down the stuff he did for his college humor magazine back on Dumbrella?

At the risk of becoming serious for a moment, I would argue that they're different circumstances. Onstad is a humorist, and thus tracking down his earlier humorous works is at least somewhat germane to his current output. It doesn't strike me as particularly stalkerish, especially given that he published some of it later (the Ranier Beer strip).
Title: June bugs? No, June blogs.
Post by: Formica on June 16, 2005, 04:08:16 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Gotta love checking up on blogs and finding this:

--> :) <--

This and "dirtcrap" have made my day.


I do not understand what Pat is trying to accomplish. Blogging his poetry as a form of aggression? Foolish, and so un-Pat-like. Burning the poetry into Onstad's lawn with lye or something, or perhaps researching the decibel limits of public performance on the street and hosting a Support Group poetry slam in front of 'stad's house... but how is he accomplishing anything? It's not like he can strap anyone down and make them listen to it Clockwork Orange/Vogon style.
Title: June bugs? No, June blogs.
Post by: Ben-San on June 16, 2005, 04:26:43 pm
Quote from: "Formica"
Blogging his poetry as a form of aggression? Foolish, and so un-Pat-like


Foolish? Yes, certainly.

Un-Pat-like? No, not really. Bear in mind: as far as Pat's concerned, the universe revolves around Pat. Maybe people admire him or maybe they hate him, but nobody just doesn't give a shit what Pat puts in his blog. If someone doesn't like his poetry, it's because that person is an enemy and doubtless will shit himself in terror on learning that Pat Reynolds can't be intimidated into not blogging his poetry. The silent majority that is Pat's devoted reader base will cheer him on, but Pat doesn't fight this battle for them. He fights it for the principle of free speech.

He is fighting a one-man war on everything and the only witness is the clerk whose job is to throw away crank lawsuits.
Title: June bugs? No, June blogs.
Post by: V-Adore on June 16, 2005, 04:32:44 pm
I think Ben pretty much has it. Furthermore, Pat believes that the truth and beauty of his poetry is such that anyone who reads it on his blog will become an instant convert and will join him in protesting the harsh, harsh world that would ban his work. Eventually even Onstad will be forced to respect him. As far as he's concerned, the parable of Tamara is just speaking truth to power.
Title: June bugs? No, June blogs.
Post by: bdeth dot com on June 16, 2005, 04:42:46 pm
I just tried to look at those pictures of Chris and my company's internet filter said that it was pornography. It just wasn't meant to be looked at.
Title: June bugs? No, June blogs.
Post by: wombat on June 16, 2005, 05:48:39 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Man, nobody's stalkin' Onstad over the internet. His dog, of course, is another case entirely, but hey.

Didn't somebody track down the stuff he did for his college humor magazine back on Dumbrella?

At the risk of becoming serious for a moment, I would argue that they're different circumstances. Onstad is a humorist, and thus tracking down his earlier humorous works is at least somewhat germane to his current output. It doesn't strike me as particularly stalkerish, especially given that he published some of it later (the Ranier Beer strip).


This is absolutely normal.  If I read someone's book and like it, I go and read their earlier books.  If I read someone's work on the internet and like it, of course I would go and try to read more of that too.

Still having the link to the dog show results, on the other hand, could be argued to be creepy, but I maintain that it's just because I never clean anything out of my bookmarks.
Title: June bugs? No, June blogs.
Post by: Doctor C on June 17, 2005, 12:26:57 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
At the risk of becoming serious for a moment, I would argue that they're different circumstances. Onstad is a humorist, and thus tracking down his earlier humorous works is at least somewhat germane to his current output. It doesn't strike me as particularly stalkerish, especially given that he published some of it later (the Ranier Beer strip).

Are these early comics still about anywhere (apart from the beer one of course)? My curiousity has been piqued
Title: June bugs? No, June blogs.
Post by: mudokon on June 17, 2005, 12:44:01 am
Quote from: "Doctor C"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
At the risk of becoming serious for a moment, I would argue that they're different circumstances. Onstad is a humorist, and thus tracking down his earlier humorous works is at least somewhat germane to his current output. It doesn't strike me as particularly stalkerish, especially given that he published some of it later (the Ranier Beer strip).

Are these early comics still about anywhere (apart from the beer one of course)? My curiousity has been piqued


There's early artwork on display here (http://www.chrisonstad.com/).
Title: June bugs? No, June blogs.
Post by: CortJstr on June 18, 2005, 03:46:55 pm
First I thought that the idea of Mr. Bear "porking" would win for today. Then Philippe decided enough with the poetry so I thought that would win. But I was unprepared for "She insouciantly strolled up to the table despite the sudden and strong interest I had taken in my watch."
Title: June bugs? No, June blogs.
Post by: V-Adore on June 18, 2005, 06:21:57 pm
I'm sorry, but:

Onstad, if the Julio's Delicious Sauce anecdote accurately reflects reality and your feelings about it, you're a dick. Honestly.

At least use the freakin' salad dressing. Throwing it out because of shame is just crass.
Title: June bugs? No, June blogs.
Post by: CortJstr on June 18, 2005, 06:38:14 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I'm sorry, but:

Onstad, if the Julio's Delicious Sauce anecdote accurately reflects reality and your feelings about it, you're a dick. Honestly.

At least use the freakin' salad dressing. Throwing it out because of shame is just crass.

The blogs are obviously written in the voice of Onstad the character so I assume this is an amplification of his actual personality. Because obviously you could treat this stuff as one would a nice balsamic vinegar and only use it occasionally, saving the $1.50 stuff for day-to-day use.
Title: June bugs? No, June blogs.
Post by: AugustWest on June 18, 2005, 07:51:55 pm
A computer should be a fun place to be!
Title: June bugs? No, June blogs.
Post by: V-Adore on June 18, 2005, 08:00:27 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
A computer should be a fun place to be!

I think this is going to be my new mod quote whenever people start taking this too seriously. Perhaps I will write it on the Onion Offense cards.
Title: June bugs? No, June blogs.
Post by: wombat on June 18, 2005, 08:04:59 pm
Molly needs to update her blog.
Title: June bugs? No, June blogs.
Post by: V-Adore on June 18, 2005, 08:41:06 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
Molly needs to update her blog.

Seriously. Especially given the, er, not totally optimistic tone of Beef's latest poetry. Are there Relationship Problems?

(Also, I hope I am not alone in liking Beef's poetry at least partially unironically.)
Title: June bugs? No, June blogs.
Post by: Doc on June 19, 2005, 02:12:51 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Also, I hope I am not alone in liking Beef's poetry at least partially unironically.


Not so much the current ones, but I always think his dangerous food poems are awesome.

Meanwhile does anyone else really like how Pat tries to communicate (what I'm assuming is) a dramatic pause?
Quote from: "Pat"
, — ,



Writing poetry showing how he really understands the suffering of people in times gone by is so perfect for Pat's character that I can't stop smiling.

I really like Cornelius' apology drinking game.
Title: June bugs? No, June blogs.
Post by: andalucia on June 19, 2005, 04:03:36 pm
"Chateauneuf-du-Pape" = Pope's new castle.

That is a great thing.
Title: June bugs? No, June blogs.
Post by: pmcd9 on June 19, 2005, 04:33:44 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Are there Relationship Problems?

There will always be relationship problems.

~Paul
Title: June bugs? No, June blogs.
Post by: Turbo Ninja on June 20, 2005, 07:16:41 pm
As far as I can tell, Onstad totally cooked up that Calvados ritual with the five glasses.

That is some excellent fiction and I think I will adopt/adapt the ritual for tomorrow's Summer Solstice dinner.
Title: June bugs? No, June blogs.
Post by: Gimpson on June 23, 2005, 01:28:55 pm
I will buy Nice Pete's book when it is offered for sale.
Title: June bugs? No, June blogs.
Post by: V-Adore on June 23, 2005, 03:32:08 pm
Quote from: "Gimpson"
I will buy Nice Pete's book when it is offered for sale.

As will I. If Onstad actually sells this, I will probably buy merch again. Yay!

Also looking forward to the celebrity-chef-Tex-Mex hijinks with Molly. This could prove to be pretty funny.
Title: June bugs? No, June blogs.
Post by: bdeth dot com on June 23, 2005, 05:51:36 pm
er...a little tired of Molly's lack of ability to find/hold a decent job. Although she does seem to be moving ever so slowly up the restaurant ladder.