The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: AlohaDawg on June 09, 2005, 07:59:18 am

Title: Hey, we're actually good at this
Post by: AlohaDawg on June 09, 2005, 07:59:18 am
Hey Gang!

We had our first canoe race Sunday and I raced in a mixed boat. We won the Gold Medal for our division!

Here's two pix of the crew and us racing in a beautiful Koa boat called 'Mokulua'.

Us in our boat (http://fourcatsinabag.blogspot.com/DSCF0512_resize.JPG)

(http://fourcatsinabag.blogspot.com/DSCF0512_resize.JPG)

The winning crew (http://fourcatsinabag.blogspot.com/DSCF0517_resize.JPG)

(http://fourcatsinabag.blogspot.com/DSCF0517_resize.JPG)
Title: Hey, we're actually good at this
Post by: arkabee on June 09, 2005, 12:56:05 pm
congrats.
Title: Hey, we're actually good at this
Post by: andalucia on June 09, 2005, 01:12:42 pm
That is a rad kind of athletic event to succeed at-- congratulations!
Title: Hey, we're actually good at this
Post by: wombat on June 09, 2005, 01:40:09 pm
OK, Hawaii is beautiful even with a big ugly crane and warehouse in the background.  Maybe I can see why you didn't want to move to LA.
Title: Hey, we're actually good at this
Post by: V-Adore on June 09, 2005, 03:01:18 pm
Congratulations! Canoeing is rad.
Title: Hey, we're actually good at this
Post by: Bozack on June 09, 2005, 03:29:49 pm
That is awesome. Soon, you will canoe to New Zealand.
Title: Hey, we're actually good at this
Post by: AlohaDawg on June 09, 2005, 06:28:58 pm
Well, the long distance season starts in August (most races are around Oahu) but the premier race is the 41 mile Molokai-to-Oahu (http://ohcra.com/molokaihoe/molokaihoe.htm) race which is sometimes won by a team from New Zealand but last year was won by a team from my club, Lanikai. (that's them in the photo at that link) Those guys are awesome.

It's a long, long way to New Zealand.
Title: Hey, we're actually good at this
Post by: pmcd9 on June 09, 2005, 07:06:33 pm
Let's see, you've got shoreline strewn with industry, muddy water; are you sure you aren't in Galveston Bay (http://www.uscg.mil/d8/vts/houston-galveston/images/hsc_itc_hofo_area.jpg)?

~Paul
Title: Hey, we're actually good at this
Post by: AlohaDawg on June 09, 2005, 11:38:01 pm
This Sunday's races are in Kailua Bay. (http://fourcatsinabag.blogspot.com/6235928-M.jpeg)

(http://fourcatsinabag.blogspot.com/6235928-M.jpeg)

If you got something like this in Texas, particularly near Galveston, let's talk....there are some job openings in Austin.
Title: Hey, we're actually good at this
Post by: Lister on June 10, 2005, 02:34:02 am
You're making a San Diegan jealous, and that's hard to do.

Dammit.
Title: Hey, we're actually good at this
Post by: Golfhaus on June 10, 2005, 03:18:37 am
I'm surprised you can canoe in that - I'd be like a five-year-old in Little League, ignoring the ball to play with a caterpillar. I'd be in the middle of the boat, looking around and going, "Whoa."
Title: Hey, we're actually good at this
Post by: AlohaDawg on June 10, 2005, 06:02:22 pm
Quote from: "Golfhaus"
I'm surprised you can canoe in that - I'd be like a five-year-old in Little League, ignoring the ball to play with a caterpillar. I'd be in the middle of the boat, looking around and going, "Whoa."


I think that's why it took 2 years to join a club - also why we practiced for 2 months before the season - every once in a while, when we're off Lanikai by the small islands called "the mokes", the sun sets over the beach and the mountains and I just about drop my paddle.

The pic above, of Kailua, is the beach 5 minutes from my house. I don't think I could have gotten that in L.A.
Title: Hey, we're actually good at this
Post by: AlohaDawg on June 29, 2005, 12:24:16 am
Okay, so two golds and a silver, but this past Sunday we were in second and closing with 25 meters or so to go and the canoe flipped over. A wave hit it funny and popped the outrigger up and there we were, hero to zero in a hurry. Upside down in rough water. That sucked but was a good lesson in humility.