The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: AugustWest on June 15, 2005, 05:28:22 am

Title: TMBG on DTV
Post by: AugustWest on June 15, 2005, 05:28:22 am
Anybody else caught They Might Be Giants on DirecTV Freeview this month?  It's about an hour and a half of their show at House of Blues in LA. Excellent.

I'm not what you'd call a real TMBG fan, although I'm getting to be that way.  They're one of those bands that I've always meant to really get into but never got around to it.  I can remember listening to Istanbul (Not Constantiople) in about 1987 and being totally blown away.  I know their big songs, but not much more.

Anyway, it's an excellent show and if you have a chance to watch it, do so.
Title: TMBG on DTV
Post by: Turbo Ninja on June 15, 2005, 03:30:19 pm
I don't have DirecTV but our local cable company has something called Music Choice and last month was an hour of TMBG from the House of Blues in LA so I'm thinking I got to see a certain percentage of the thing you're talking about.

I always dig them live, even the time they played here in Columbus and the power went out and they tried to play "unplugged" in a 2,000-person concert hall.  It didn't work very well but at least they tried.

I was a huge HUGE fan of theirs until about 1997 or so - Factory Showroom was the last release I bought on the day it came out.  I've been a casual observer since then but the "Boss Of Me" stuff kinda turned me off, particularly when contrasted against the b-sides from the Then compilation.  I think John Henry is far and away their best record.

The new stuff I saw on TV seemed pretty cool though.  I can totally see myself buying their "kids songs" for Turbo Jr. in a few years so that they can learn about geography and the alphabet in the same way I learned about mammals and James K. Polk.

TMBG & TOUAMB - All about education!
Title: TMBG on DTV
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on June 16, 2005, 03:10:59 pm
We bought Here Come the ABCs for Lizzie del Vaca a couple weeks ago.  Her favorite is "I Never Go to Work."