The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Wolfslice on June 20, 2005, 07:08:43 am
-
A friend gave me a jar of black truffles from Italy as a gift. These things have such mythical status that im not sure how to use them to their best effect. I'm an adventurous cook within striking distance of a gourmet grocery, so anything is possible. - C.O., San Carlos, California
Playboy response:
You don't need adventure or groumet groceries. In fact it's best to keep it simple. "The traditional truffle dish is eggs," says chef Peter Urbani, whose family runs Urbani Truffles (urbani.com). "Add a quarter teaspoon of truffle butter or oil, and shave your black truffle over them." Urbani says your gift is either summer truffles (tuber aestivum vitt) or winter ones (tuber melanosporum vitt). "look for 'tuber' on the jar," he says. "if you don't see it, its not a European truffle and you probably paid too much for it." WIth any luck you have winter truffles, which are more flavorful. "It's like the difference between catgiraffe and sea bass," Urbani says. He recommends using a microplane to shave your truffles onto a risotto or pasta with cream sauce. Unlike white truffles, the black variety can also be added to the dish near the end of the cooking process.
-
RISOTTO! The circle is complete. Well done, Playboy Advisor.
-
You know he's totally getting this professionally framed to the tune of like seventy bucks.
-
RISOTTO! The circle is complete. Well done, Playboy Advisor.
Awesome. His question did sound familiar (http://chrisonstad.blogspot.com/2004/11/truffles.html).
-
I got a letter published in Rolling Stone once - it was the apex of my writing career.
-
Who the hell under 60 reads Playboy anyway?
-
Who the hell under 60 reads Playboy anyway?
12-15 year olds who can't buy porn on their own yet and don't know all of their options. This phase does not last too long.
About three issues in my case.
-
I don't even consider Playboy porn...
-
I don't even consider Playboy porn...
For me: no penetration = not porn.
-
If you can see in, it's porn.
-
Edit: Deleted because of a problem.
-
Edit: And again
-
I got a letter published in Rolling Stone once - it was the apex of my writing career.
My all-time favorite Rolling Stone letter came after a photo involving none other than Polly Jean Harvey (PJ Harvey). I think she was on the cover? Anyway, we all know that PJ is horrifically thin. In the photo she was wearing a bra top, and not only could you see her sternum and ribs, you could practically see the outlines of her vital organs.
The next month, a reader wrote in with a very succinct letter: "Someone please give PJ Harvey a pork chop." Classic.
I find scrawny people to be very endearing. So now I like to use that letter in everyday conversation, "Oh man, he was so skinny that I just wanted to pat her on the head and give him a pork chop."
Anyway, the Playboy Advisor letter is awesome.