The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: JeremyW on June 25, 2005, 03:54:11 am

Title: How Old do you think the Achewood characters are.
Post by: JeremyW on June 25, 2005, 03:54:11 am
I know that Phillepe is 5-6.  What about the other charaters?
Title: How Old do you think the Achewood characters are.
Post by: AlohaDawg on June 25, 2005, 04:30:55 am
Beef and Ray were in Junior High in the 80s and Ray was doing "The Dude has Got No Mercy" in what looked like the late 80's/early 90's.

God I feel like an idiot for responding to that.
Title: How Old do you think the Achewood characters are.
Post by: pmcd9 on June 25, 2005, 04:45:24 am
I like your comics.

The achewood characters are all approaching 4 years old.

~Paul
Title: How Old do you think the Achewood characters are.
Post by: JeremyW on June 25, 2005, 05:33:29 am
I meant how old are they in the comic.
Title: How Old do you think the Achewood characters are.
Post by: AlohaDawg on June 26, 2005, 01:42:05 am
Also, since all the strips are in line drawings, I wonder what color everything in the achewood universe is.
Title: How Old do you think the Achewood characters are.
Post by: JeremyW on June 26, 2005, 02:32:59 am
There are some colour Achewood comics.
Title: How Old do you think the Achewood characters are.
Post by: Choop on June 26, 2005, 05:12:11 am
Poll: How strong does a hint have to be before it hits you?
(_) Lightweight
(_) Middleweight
(X) Heavyweight
Title: How Old do you think the Achewood characters are.
Post by: jough on June 26, 2005, 05:25:26 am
Jeremy loses 1,000 points for posting pointless messages in the embarrassing hope that someone, ANYONE, will click the link in his sig quote.
Title: How Old do you think the Achewood characters are.
Post by: JeremyW on June 26, 2005, 06:17:48 am
Quote from: "jough"
Jeremy loses 1,000 points for posting pointless messages in the embarrassing hope that someone, ANYONE, will click the link in his sig quote.


Not true. Jerk.
Title: How Old do you think the Achewood characters are.
Post by: DevinCybrus on June 26, 2005, 09:06:59 am
I didn't even notice that link was there until you pointed it out.

Now I feel compelled to click it.

Thanks a lot.
Title: How Old do you think the Achewood characters are.
Post by: andalucia on June 26, 2005, 12:12:49 pm
Hey, a lot of us say pointless stuff and link to our sites.  He doesn't even have an amazon wishlist in his sig, dude.
Title: How Old do you think the Achewood characters are.
Post by: V-Adore on June 26, 2005, 02:47:50 pm
Calm down, guys. Seriously.

Anyway, I think this all may be a moot point as long as we know that Philippe is fiv. 'Tis all we know and all we need to know, really.
Title: How Old do you think the Achewood characters are.
Post by: Bozack on June 26, 2005, 08:26:56 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
Hey, a lot of us say pointless stuff and link to our sites.  He doesn't even have an amazon wishlist in his sig, dude.


Holy crap. I think I would love to see everyones Amazon wishlist. Please, everyone, link!
Title: How Old do you think the Achewood characters are.
Post by: pmcd9 on June 26, 2005, 09:41:46 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
Holy crap. I think I would love to see everyones Amazon wishlist. Please, everyone, link!

I'd rather see everyone's e-bay watch list.

~Paul
Title: How Old do you think the Achewood characters are.
Post by: AugustWest on June 26, 2005, 11:05:43 pm
I would like to see the contents of everyone's medicine chest.
Title: How Old do you think the Achewood characters are.
Post by: arkabee on June 27, 2005, 03:36:10 am
i would like to see your bureau.
Title: How Old do you think the Achewood characters are.
Post by: AugustWest on June 27, 2005, 04:04:38 am
I'd be happy to take a picture.  Is there any particular drawer you're interested in?
Title: How Old do you think the Achewood characters are.
Post by: JeremyW on June 27, 2005, 04:34:31 am
Quote from: "AugustWest"
I'd be happy to take a picture.  Is there any particular drawer you're interested in?


The one you keep all your secrets in.
Title: How Old do you think the Achewood characters are.
Post by: pmcd9 on June 27, 2005, 11:43:10 am
Quote from: "AugustWest"
I would like to see the contents of everyone's medicine chest.

I'd just like to see all the women's chest.

~Paul
Title: How Old do you think the Achewood characters are.
Post by: pmcd9 on June 27, 2005, 11:44:13 am
Quote from: "JeremyW"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
I'd be happy to take a picture.  Is there any particular drawer you're interested in?


The one you keep all your secrets in.

Hey, that's a pretty good one, nice rebound.

~Paul
Title: How Old do you think the Achewood characters are.
Post by: St_Zartan on June 27, 2005, 03:17:34 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
I would like to see the contents of everyone's medicine chest.

I'd just like to see all the women's chest.


And I want a pinball machine.
Title: How Old do you think the Achewood characters are.
Post by: AlohaDawg on June 27, 2005, 08:40:20 pm
I want to see their chests and then I want to open their drawers.
Title: How Old do you think the Achewood characters are.
Post by: pmcd9 on June 27, 2005, 09:47:16 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
And I want a pinball machine.

Me too.
(http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/DSCN6015-E-500.jpg)
I love old school pinball machines.  They are relatively cheap too.  I don't have anyplace to put one though so I wait.   And I go to the annual convention.

~Paul
Title: How Old do you think the Achewood characters are.
Post by: pmcd9 on June 27, 2005, 09:50:08 pm
Quote from: "Asherdan"
And after seeing the chests and opening the drawers I'd like to rummage around in all the booty.

Arr, it's time to walk the plank, missies!

I thought I was delivering the punchline.  Apparently i'm the straight man.

~Paul
Title: How Old do you think the Achewood characters are.
Post by: St_Zartan on June 27, 2005, 10:26:02 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
And I want a pinball machine.

Me too.
(http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/DSCN6015-E-500.jpg)
I love old school pinball machines.  They are relatively cheap too.  I don't have anyplace to put one though so I wait.   And I go to the annual convention.


Oh man that is awesome

I love, love the artistry and feel of the old electromagnetic pinball machines. I didn't know that they were relatively cheap, though - I would have thought quite the opposite, what with (slowly) increasing demand and a dwindling supply (as they end up in the hands of people with Permanent Collections). For gameplay, though, I generally like the newer machines. Oh, lord, don't get me started on pinball. I just erased like five rambling, gushy sentences about my favorite machines that pretty much no one in the history of ever would want to read.

Which convention are you talking about?
Title: How Old do you think the Achewood characters are.
Post by: pmcd9 on June 27, 2005, 10:34:06 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Which convention are you talking about?

H.A.A.G. (http://www.arcadecenter.com/)

~Paul
Title: How Old do you think the Achewood characters are.
Post by: AlohaDawg on June 27, 2005, 10:43:39 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Quote from: "Asherdan"
And after seeing the chests and opening the drawers I'd like to rummage around in all the booty.

Arr, it's time to walk the plank, missies!

I thought I was delivering the punchline.  Apparently i'm the straight man.

~Paul


If you're not the straight man, he might be talking about YOUR booty.
Title: How Old do you think the Achewood characters are.
Post by: pmcd9 on June 27, 2005, 10:55:59 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
I love, love the artistry and feel of the old electromagnetic pinball machines. I didn't know that they were relatively cheap, though - I would have thought quite the opposite, what with (slowly) increasing demand and a dwindling supply (as they end up in the hands of people with Permanent Collections).

A game like the one i'm posing by runs anywhere from $1500-2000 for a lovingly restored machine..  The current games are $4500-6000.

Quote from: "St_Zartan"
For gameplay, though, I generally like the newer machines. Oh, lord, don't get me started on pinball. I just erased like five rambling, gushy sentences about my favorite machines that pretty much no one in the history of ever would want to read.

I think you answered the question why the older machines are relatively cheap.  Most people prefer the gameplay to the newer models.  If all things were equal I actually prefer the simple older machines, but in spite of being restored, they lack umph.  No amount of restoration can put it back in i'm afraid.  The later models have a million things going on, ramps, tunnels, 3-4-5 balls at the same time.  It's overwhelming.  Just hit the ball anywhere and you're gonna get something.  They are a lot of fun too, but there's something about those classic machines I just love.  It's what I grew up with I guess, but the bumpers are dead.  The new machines are lightning fast.

I spent most of a Saturday evening getting my ass handed to me by this Dolly Bird...
(http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/DSCN6034-E-500.jpg)
That's Cirqus Voltaire (http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=4059) we are playing

~Paul
Title: How Old do you think the Achewood characters are.
Post by: bdeth dot com on June 28, 2005, 05:14:20 pm
Off topic?
Title: How Old do you think the Achewood characters are.
Post by: AlohaDawg on June 28, 2005, 05:36:49 pm
Quote from: "bdeth dot com"
Off topic?


What's your point?
Title: How Old do you think the Achewood characters are.
Post by: St_Zartan on June 28, 2005, 05:37:53 pm
Quote from: "bdeth dot com"
Off topic?


Yeah, folks, let's get back on track. That shit we were covering before was gripping.

CHRIS ONSTAD SENT ME A YAHOO! MESSAGE
-AND-
MISTER BEAR IS ONE HUNDRED AND FORTY-EIGHT YEARS OLD
Title: How Old do you think the Achewood characters are.
Post by: bdeth dot com on June 28, 2005, 05:48:20 pm
I'm a little teapot.
Title: How Old do you think the Achewood characters are.
Post by: bdeth dot com on June 28, 2005, 05:51:33 pm
Plus sugar.
Title: How Old do you think the Achewood characters are.
Post by: editor on June 28, 2005, 06:05:40 pm
I'll bite.  

Ray and Beef - already mentioned.
Philippe - c'mon now.
Mr. Bear - old.
Teador - Mr. Bear said he was college age in his latest blog entry.  
Molly - she came from heaven so who knows.
Lyle - over 21
Pat - who cares
Nice Pete - old enough to grow pubics
Lil' Nephew - junior high?  High school?
Title: How Old do you think the Achewood characters are.
Post by: andalucia on June 28, 2005, 07:55:09 pm
Bee Death Dot Com, you have a pretty website.
Title: How Old do you think the Achewood characters are.
Post by: bdeth dot com on June 28, 2005, 08:21:10 pm
:D:martini:
Title: How Old do you think the Achewood characters are.
Post by: V-Adore on June 28, 2005, 08:36:32 pm
Man, owning my own pinball machine was my childhood dream. One day, when I have a house into which it can be placed, I will have one. Mark my words. And maybe a Skee-Ball machine, too, although I have to imagine those things cost.

In a perfect world, it would be the Indiana Jones, Twilight Zone, or Simpsons machines (all of which conjure fond memories of wasted quarters -- the Indiana Jones machine in particular, because the one I played on as a youngster had no tilt whatsoever and thus was all kinds of smackable), but hell, I'm easy. I just want some pinball in my own home.
Title: How Old do you think the Achewood characters are.
Post by: AlohaDawg on June 28, 2005, 09:19:25 pm
Skeeball machinew are really long, too. You would need hella space for one.
Title: How Old do you think the Achewood characters are.
Post by: pmcd9 on June 28, 2005, 09:21:12 pm
I covet King Kool (http://zpinaddict.com/pballhtm/kingkool.htm), the game I spent the most time playing as a youth of the 70's hanging out at the bowling alley.

But really there are hundreds of totally cool games actually that would do me just as good.

~Paul
Title: How Old do you think the Achewood characters are.
Post by: V-Adore on June 28, 2005, 09:21:53 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Skeeball machinew are really long, too. You would need hella space for one.

If I ever get this strictly theoretical Skee-Ball table, it can and will be the focal point of its room. I will decorate around it! Some people get antique tables; I get a carnival machine.
Title: How Old do you think the Achewood characters are.
Post by: AlohaDawg on June 28, 2005, 09:26:19 pm
I was picturing the huge ones built into the floor and wall like you see along the wall of an arcade like at, say, a NJ beach amusement park.
Title: How Old do you think the Achewood characters are.
Post by: AlohaDawg on June 28, 2005, 10:36:43 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Skeeball machinew are really long, too. You would need hella space for one.

If I ever get this strictly theoretical Skee-Ball table, it can and will be the focal point of its room. I will decorate around it! Some people get antique tables; I get a carnival machine.


Anything 10 or 13 feet long and 4 feet wide would definitely by the focal point of any regular sized room.
Title: How Old do you think the Achewood characters are.
Post by: V-Adore on June 28, 2005, 11:05:42 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Skeeball machinew are really long, too. You would need hella space for one.

If I ever get this strictly theoretical Skee-Ball table, it can and will be the focal point of its room. I will decorate around it! Some people get antique tables; I get a carnival machine.


Anything 10 or 13 feet long and 4 feet wide would definitely by the focal point of any regular sized room.

A big room, 'dawg. A big room. And here I thought some things could be assumed by context...

(A big room in my house.)
Title: How Old do you think the Achewood characters are.
Post by: AlohaDawg on June 29, 2005, 12:20:04 am
Did you see "Envy' with Jack Black and Ben Stiller? Because I'm totally picturing that house.
Title: How Old do you think the Achewood characters are.
Post by: pmcd9 on June 29, 2005, 02:06:37 am
I :heart: V-Adore*.

~Paul

*If she gets a skee-ball machine.
Title: How Old do you think the Achewood characters are.
Post by: beanmom on June 29, 2005, 02:13:22 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
If I ever get this strictly theoretical Skee-Ball table, it can and will be the focal point of its room. I will decorate around it! Some people get antique tables; I get a carnival machine.


I would totally design my house around a Skee-Ball machine.  *sigh*

Oops, I just slipped into a totally impractical, yet wistful, reverie...  Yes, it was all about having a Skee-Ball machine in my house.  I am a simple woman.
Title: How Old do you think the Achewood characters are.
Post by: Bozack on June 29, 2005, 02:39:04 am
As long as we're free-associating here, I'd like to ask just why someone would continue to socialize around a table in a completely empty restaurant at 10:40, when the restaurant in question closed at 10:40.
JUST LEAVE. JUST F'N LEAVE.
Also, I am all about arcade style games in my house. One day...ONE DAY!
Title: How Old do you think the Achewood characters are.
Post by: CortJstr on June 29, 2005, 02:42:27 am
Quote from: "Bozack"
Also, I am all about arcade style games in my house. One day...ONE DAY!

I recently found out that my SO had never seen a video game/table such as they used to have at Pizza Hut. She'd never even heard of the concept. This may be the end of our relationship.

A friend in HS had a Galaga one at her house and it was joyous.
Title: How Old do you think the Achewood characters are.
Post by: robot_roll_call on June 29, 2005, 04:15:04 am
Quote
A friend in HS had a Galaga one at her house and it was joyous.


That or a Donkey Kong one would be sweet indeed. Next time I see one at a hole in the wall mom and pop pizza place in Door County, I am making an offer.
Title: How Old do you think the Achewood characters are.
Post by: Bozack on June 29, 2005, 04:31:45 am
A really cool bar in New York has a Pac Man table. It is awesome.
Title: How Old do you think the Achewood characters are.
Post by: jough on June 29, 2005, 05:39:22 am
I used to PUNISH at Table Super Saxxon.

Actually, now that I think about it while I'm not much of a "gamer" since say, I was 12, I used to be ALL ABOUT THE VIDEO GAMES.

My first home system was my parents' Pong game.  No shit.

Then when I was 5 we got an Atari 2600.  Then a couple years later a Colecovision (with the Atari 2600 adapter so you could play the old Atari library - I also had the ball controller, which made Centipede awesome but it came with a really lame game called Victory).

Then I went totally Commodore 128.  In motherfuck*ng CP/M mode.  To this day I think that the Commodore 64/128 was a really good system, and that game developers pushed the envelope of what the hardware could do more with that than any other computer or video game system since (the Amiga being maybe the only exception).

At some point I got an NES, mainly for Tetris, but I played other stuff like Mario Bros. (of course) and Castlevania.  I had an original Game Boy.  Then I sold it and got an Atari Lynx, which was colour and about the quality of the NES - and it came out 15 years before the PSP, which really just looks like a smaller Lynx.  Same control system, same layout, etc.

Anyway, that was it for me and games for awhile.  I sold the Lynx on eBay about three years ago to a collector (mine was pristine and I still had the original boxes) for about ten times what the gear all cost when it was new.  

I played a LOT of Doom II in college, a little Quake, but then a lot of Quake II, then nothing but chess for awhile, then last year when I got a modern laptop it came with GTAIII, so I started playing that.  Then I picked up Vice City for $15 and it quickly became my favourite game of all time.  Then Doom 3 came out and I figured I'd have to try it.  I was unimpressed.

Then for Christmas I was given Half-Life 2 and while I thought the first one was a cheap Quake 2 imitator Half-Life 2 just rocks.  I've played through the whole game about three times (it's pretty short - the third time I was in Whirlwind mode and finished the game in about ten hours (not straight)).

Anyway, I loved Vice City and I really like much of San Andreas, but it's just not the same.  The graphics are better, the controls are good, I like the stats and the level design of Los Santos is just amazing (Vice City's levels were less complex or interesting than GTAIII's were - just too flat and two dimentional).  The frustration factor seems much higher in San Andreas than in Vice City - I think it's because the missions tend to be longer and if you mess up right at the end you have to do the whole thing again.  Also, getting from save point to mission start is sometimes a long trip - the world is either too big (no such thing!) or there aren't enough save points.  Actually, I'd be all for NO savepoints - just save anywhere in any state, like pretty much every FPS does.

Having said all that, I may have to get a PSP when the new GTA comes out exclusively for it.  That is, until someone writes a PC emulator for it, which should be any day now.  Or the PS3 also plays PSP games, which would be awesome and pretty much solidify my desire to purchase one.
Title: How Old do you think the Achewood characters are.
Post by: IdiotIdiotIdiot on June 29, 2005, 12:46:41 pm
Ray is 8 or 9 years old:

http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01212002
Title: How Old do you think the Achewood characters are.
Post by: Emergent_C on June 29, 2005, 02:02:18 pm
What I want -- what I really really want -- is a Bram Stoker's Dracula pinball machine
(http://www.robertwinter.com/pinball/ft/pics/swap_bb1.jpg)
B E C A U S E  
T H E R E  
I S  
A  
P I C T U R E
O F  
T O M  
W A I T S  
O N  
I T

A pinball machine bearing the visage of the immortal Mr. Waits.
Does anyone realize how utterly mind-blowing and freakishly WONDERFUL that is!?!
Title: How Old do you think the Achewood characters are.
Post by: andalucia on June 29, 2005, 02:45:00 pm
Jesus... that really is a thing of beauty and wonder.
Title: How Old do you think the Achewood characters are.
Post by: St_Zartan on June 29, 2005, 02:58:40 pm
Confession: I used to own a Judge Dredd (http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=1322), one of my all-time favorite machines and an absolute beauty to behold. Seriously, it was a beast of a thing, wider than a standard machine, and when all lit up in a dimmed room, just fuck*ng majestic. It didn't cost no damn six thousand dollars, either - I got it for AUD $1500, which is, like, pretty much nothing as far as amusement installations go.

I had to sell it when I moved back to the States. I don't think I'd buy it again, unless I was seriously flush with cash and actually able to work on a proper collection - my top choices right now (subject to change from moment to moment) would be Bride of Pinbot, Eight Ball Deluxe, Fathom, and Scared Stiff.

C, the Maverick pinball machine has James Garner on it. James Garner.

Those table arcade games you're talking about and rightly admiring are called "cocktail cabinets", and honestly, I have no idea why they're no longer popular. Don't get me started mourning the Death of the Traditional Arcade, etc., with all the good and proper games (to say nothing of pinball!) squeezed out for nineteen goddamned flavors of Tekken, Time Crisis, and Name-Your-Gimmick Rhythm Game Fifth Dongmix. When I have more living space, I intend to build a MAME cocktail (http://cocktail.loungespot.com/). (As a sprog, I was a fiend for BurgerTime and Joust in this format.)
Title: How Old do you think the Achewood characters are.
Post by: Emergent_C on June 29, 2005, 03:15:50 pm
St_Zartan, find me a Kolchak pinball machine and I'll pay you damn six thousand dollars. Darren McGavin. Fuck.
Title: How Old do you think the Achewood characters are.
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on June 29, 2005, 03:40:38 pm
I loved me some World Cup 94 pinball (http://www.arcadegames.com/ctgy/Pinball/prod/pin0028).  They had one at the arcade in the mall near my office when I first moved to DC.
Title: How Old do you think the Achewood characters are.
Post by: pmcd9 on July 01, 2005, 10:38:22 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Skee-Ball

Your Skee-Ball Trophy (http://www.catandgirl.com/view.php?loc=264)

~Paul