The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: MattFish on June 27, 2005, 06:54:58 am

Title: June 27th - Platform Nine and Three Quarters
Post by: MattFish on June 27, 2005, 06:54:58 am
More Philippesploitation. The alt-text leads me to believe the soda bottles were full? No wonder Teodor looks so startled in the last panel.
Title: June 27th - Platform Nine and Three Quarters
Post by: mudokon on June 27, 2005, 07:06:27 am
Téodor notes that he can't get past the hallway with the soda bottles in the way. A part of me wonders if they're too heavy for him to lift and move aside.
Title: June 27th - Platform Nine and Three Quarters
Post by: toddster on June 27, 2005, 07:33:42 am
It is now the hobby of the household to trick Phillipe into slamming headlong into the wall. I am not surprised that Lyle has followed Lie Bot down this particular path... but I am a bit surprised he knows enough about Harry Potter to pull this one off.

(also my choice for thread title would have been "Shaddup, you!")
Title: June 27th - Platform Nine and Three Quarters
Post by: MattFish on June 27, 2005, 08:00:24 am
Quote from: "toddster"
(also my choice for thread title would have been "Shaddup, you!")


It really wasn't a very quotable comic, for sure.

Teodor seems like the type who would simply complain out loud about minor obstacles impeding his progress instead of actually taking some initiative and doing anything about it.
Title: June 27th - Platform Nine and Three Quarters
Post by: cellardoor on June 27, 2005, 09:11:48 am
Lyle is one of those guys that secretly quite likes Harry Potter but would never admit it.
Title: June 27th - Platform Nine and Three Quarters
Post by: JeremyW on June 27, 2005, 10:07:25 am
I didn't get the Harry Potter reference in this strip.  I don't know anything about Harry Potter.
Title: June 27th - Platform Nine and Three Quarters
Post by: andalucia on June 27, 2005, 11:44:19 am
Yeah, can someone help me out so I don't have to Google for Harry Potter things and fulfill the prophechy of that other thread?
Title: June 27th - Platform Nine and Three Quarters
Post by: pmcd9 on June 27, 2005, 11:48:04 am
Quote from: "andalucia"
Yeah, can someone help me out so I don't have to Google for Harry Potter things and fulfill the prophechy of that other thread?

Platform 9 3/4 is a train platform at Kings Cross station in London that only the magic people can see.  It's where you board the train that takes you to Hogwarts, where Harry Potter goes to school.

~Paul
Title: June 27th - Platform Nine and Three Quarters
Post by: beanmom on June 27, 2005, 01:00:32 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Platform 9 3/4 is a train platform at Kings Cross station in London that only the magic people can see.  It's where you board the train that takes you to Hogwarts, where Harry Potter goes to school.


To be more accurate, no one can see it, not even the magic people.  It looks like a blank wall, and you have to run headlong at the right spot and you'll pass through the wall and come out on the platform.

(Hi, I'm a Harry Potter geek.)

The alt-text TOTALLY made this strip for me, by the way.
Title: June 27th - Platform Nine and Three Quarters
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on June 27, 2005, 01:01:12 pm
What's more, to get on it you have to walk through a wall, or at least what looks like a wall to non-magic types.

Must be Abuse Philippe Week.
Title: June 27th - Platform Nine and Three Quarters
Post by: robot_roll_call on June 27, 2005, 01:13:49 pm
Quote from: "cellardoor"
Lyle is one of those guys that secretly quite likes Harry Potter but would never admit it.


I can just see him at the bookstore at midnight next month, dressed like a wizard but looking over his shoulder ever 5 seconds.
Title: June 27th - Platform Nine and Three Quarters
Post by: Emergent_C on June 27, 2005, 03:02:00 pm
This strip is actually quite funny, but it made absolutely no sense to me until I came here to read the explanation. Is that a Good Thing or a Bad Thing?
Title: June 27th - Platform Nine and Three Quarters
Post by: Pedro Picasso on June 27, 2005, 03:35:44 pm
I'm a Penny-Arcade (http://www.penny-arcade.com) fan.  I'm used to being unable to understand a joke until I read a bit of backstory or fire up a Googleotron.  It's kind of silly to have to do research before you laugh at a joke, but then Beetle Bailey is accessible by all and requires no cultural knowledge whatsoever.  Hey look, the Sarge is beating him up again!

__________________
Silly!
Title: June 27th - Platform Nine and Three Quarters
Post by: St_Zartan on June 27, 2005, 03:51:41 pm
Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
It's kind of silly to have to do research before you laugh at a joke, but then Beetle Bailey is accessible by all and requires no cultural knowledge whatsoever.  Hey look, the Sarge is beating him up again!


I've said it before, and I'll say it again - Beetle Bailey is underrated.
Title: June 27th - Platform Nine and Three Quarters
Post by: pmcd9 on June 27, 2005, 05:18:12 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
I've said it before, and I'll say it again - Beetle Bailey is underrated.

They lost me when Halftrack got brought up on harrasement charges.

"Underrated."  Ok, it's not quite as lame as Cathy.  There are you happy?

~Paul
Title: June 27th - Platform Nine and Three Quarters
Post by: St_Zartan on June 27, 2005, 05:29:04 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"
They lost me when Halftrack got brought up on harrasement charges.


I don't take a paper, so I haven't read it in, probably, years - but the old (and I mean old, I guess - the collections I have were published in the mid-80's and contain god only knows when) strips are occasionally really quite clever. I've found that every time Mort Walker tries to "update" Beetle Bailey, it fails. Oh, how it fails. Yeah, trying to shoehorn the drunken lech Halftrack into "sensitivity training" or whatever is nonsense, especially since his two dang secretaries are basically named for the size of their respective racks ("Blips" and "Buxley", for those of you playing along at home). Oh, and Specialist Chip Gizmo? Ye gods, that character fuck*ng sucks. HOW CAN I WORK IN SOME INTERNET JOKES???

OH

Quote
"Underrated."  Ok, it's not quite as lame as Cathy.  There are you happy?


I never enjoyed Cathy.
Title: June 27th - Platform Nine and Three Quarters
Post by: V-Adore on June 27, 2005, 05:30:50 pm
Man, when is the last time we had a strip in the two-on-two four-square style? (I should check the archives, but I have rats coming out of the box soonish, so feh.) This strip feels fairly old-school, and I like it; it's a refreshing change of pace from long story arcs. Also, MORE LYLE.
Title: June 27th - Platform Nine and Three Quarters
Post by: bdeth dot com on June 27, 2005, 05:56:04 pm
December 22, 2004 (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=12222004)
Title: June 27th - Platform Nine and Three Quarters
Post by: V-Adore on June 27, 2005, 06:11:46 pm
Quote from: "bdeth dot com"
December 22, 2004 (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=12222004)

Awesome, thank you.

Also, now that I'm on a computer that lets me read alt text: classic alt text. I am picturing Philippe, dejected and totally sticky.
Title: everyone
Post by: Cap'n Squeakers on June 27, 2005, 06:28:32 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
I never enjoyed Cathy.

Nobody does. Nobody except that one lumpy receptionist at work who uses too much hand lotion, scowls at you when you are late to work, and makes sure everyone signs the birthday card for Joanne down in finance (and chips in $7 for the crappy sheetcake from Costco).

Also, Cathy sweats so much (http://www.thesneeze.com/mt-archives/000079.php) that it is unhealthy.  

Cathy is like the anti-matter of humor.
Title: June 27th - Platform Nine and Three Quarters
Post by: gearnest on June 28, 2005, 12:28:23 pm
Ack!
Title: June 27th - Platform Nine and Three Quarters
Post by: EgoSumNoah on June 28, 2005, 10:06:03 pm
Stop talking about Cathy!  This comic was so sweet.  And yeah, Teodor is totally too lazy to move some 2-liters.

But what's gonna happen to T when Phillippe comes barelling down the hall>  No one knows!

I am so looking forward to the new Harry Potter.
Title: June 27th - Platform Nine and Three Quarters
Post by: pmcd9 on June 29, 2005, 02:18:18 am
Aw c'mon give T a break.  He walks out into the hall and it's there's 2 liter bottles all over the place.  I'm sure he was taken aback by this.  It's not normal to find the hall blocked by 2 liter bottles.  So he asks a wtf question.  Maybe there was some legitimate purpose for the bottles being there.  Why risk pissing of Lyle for no good reason.  Had the subsequent events not transpired in such quick fashion i'm sure he would have simply moved the bottles and been on his way about his business.

~Paul