The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: mudokon on June 29, 2005, 08:07:39 am

Title: June 29, 2005 - leechin' ducats
Post by: mudokon on June 29, 2005, 08:07:39 am
Well, now, the last panel is animated. I'm sure this strip will appear far more raunchy and delightful when read in the printed form.

It is nice, however, to finally see Roast Beef confronting Ray about his excessive purchases.
Title: June 29, 2005 - leechin' ducats
Post by: toddster on June 29, 2005, 08:32:04 am
It's funny because Mother's Day is in May.

I also love the construction of "Yeah but I mean you I mean look you didn't even remember".

...did Beef get a ticket at some point in the recent past or did I dream that? Looking back, I guess that was just your regular old Achewood one-shot, but it seemed to have that whiff of promised continuity about it. Ah well. Maybe the latest in the line of "Ray's wacky cars" will prove more fruitful.
Title: June 29, 2005 - leechin' ducats
Post by: JeremyW on June 29, 2005, 11:35:42 am
I thought the next time we saw Beef would be at the court house.  I guese that isn't being followed up on.
Title: June 29, 2005 - leechin' ducats
Post by: cellardoor on June 29, 2005, 11:45:38 am
I bet this is just a convoluted way for Ray to give Beef money, a kind of fake job to help Beef out with his parking tickets.
And also 'cause Beef enjoys maths and figuring things out.
Lovin' Beef's turn of phrase, so much so that a Beef phrasebook seems like a passable way to spend my free time.
Title: June 29, 2005 - leechin' ducats
Post by: CortJstr on June 29, 2005, 12:53:16 pm
I demand that Ray hire William Daniels for this project. He can aford it. Is it sad that I'm already on the ThinkGeek e-mail list and saw that phone a couple days ago?
Title: June 29, 2005 - leechin' ducats
Post by: Gimpson on June 29, 2005, 01:12:56 pm
If you're going to go retro phone, why not go all the way (http://www.makezine.com/blog/archive/2005/06/portable_rotary.html)?
Title: June 29, 2005 - leechin' ducats
Post by: St_Zartan on June 29, 2005, 01:30:33 pm
Quote from: "Gimpson"
If you're going to go retro phone, why not go all the way (http://www.makezine.com/blog/archive/2005/06/portable_rotary.html)?


It... it's beautiful.
Title: June 29, 2005 - leechin' ducats
Post by: bdeth dot com on June 29, 2005, 02:13:45 pm
They (http://www.makezine.com/blog/archive/2005/06/portable_rotary.html) aren't the first (http://www.mockia.com).
Title: June 29, 2005 - leechin' ducats
Post by: V-Adore on June 29, 2005, 03:29:47 pm
Maybe the raunchiness and delight will become clear in later days. Maybe.

Anyway, this is kind of funny but is sort of old hat at this point -- "ha ha, Ray's so carefree and heedless to his possessions," etc., etc. I guess it's funny enough, but it doesn't make me grin in the way that (to take a recent example) "RAP MUSIC, MY DROOGS!" does.

Full points for the gratuitous animation in the last panel, though. It adds that level of "if it was a good idea in Diesel Sweeties, it'll be a good idea here" style to the proceedings.
Title: June 29, 2005 - leechin' ducats
Post by: V-Adore on June 29, 2005, 03:37:03 pm
Quote from: "Asherdan"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Full points for the gratuitous animation in the last panel, though. It adds that level of "if it was a good idea in Diesel Sweeties, it'll be a good idea here" style to the proceedings.

It's even an old Mac, like grandpa.

Oh wells.

Yeah, exactly. I fully expect that, were Onstad still a part of the Dumbrella, it would be revealed that the Mac in the pseudo-KITT was a relative of Uncle Grandpa's, sold into indentured servitude, and Clango would have to go on a rescue mission, and he'd meet Ray and it is not entirely improbable that Ray and Maura would hook up and wow, I think I would like that stupid-ass crossover arc more than I like this strip.
Title: June 29, 2005 - leechin' ducats
Post by: jough on June 29, 2005, 04:18:45 pm
I did laugh when Ray realised that the Trans Am that he forgot he had - oh yeah, that's my Trans Am.

Otherwise, I believe I voted in the correct #2 slot in yesterday's poll.
Title: June 29, 2005 - leechin' ducats
Post by: arkabee on June 29, 2005, 04:19:34 pm
i liked this strip a lot.

i thought it was funny.

i like believing that a cat would try and get a Mac512K to run as KITT.

Sure, it's prolly a Classic and not a 512K, but i like _believing_.
Title: June 29, 2005 - leechin' ducats
Post by: jough on June 29, 2005, 04:22:07 pm
Man, if they made an iDEN version of this I would carry it around with me everywhere.

http://www.sparkfun.com/shop/index.php?shop=1&cart=321790&cat=1&itemid=416&
Title: June 29, 2005 - leechin' ducats
Post by: CortJstr on June 29, 2005, 04:32:20 pm
Quote from: "bdeth dot com"
They (http://www.makezine.com/blog/archive/2005/06/portable_rotary.html) aren't the first (http://www.mockia.com).

A couple years ago Motorola was selling "brick" cell phones with modern bits iinside. This was right around the time that 70's retro sneakers were all over the damn Foot Locker.
Title: June 29, 2005 - leechin' ducats
Post by: MattFish on June 29, 2005, 05:47:28 pm
What's that thing behind Ray in panels 5 and 7? Did the horizon line grow a nipple?
Title: June 29, 2005 - leechin' ducats
Post by: editor on June 29, 2005, 06:01:43 pm
I would never forget that I own a Trans Am.

Did Beef's font size get bigger?

The last panel kills me.
Title: June 29, 2005 - leechin' ducats
Post by: filas on June 29, 2005, 07:03:27 pm
what kills me is "leechin' ducats"
how can a shakespearean reference end with "in[apostrophe instead of a g]"?
that trans am is charging interest!  what a leech!
Title: June 29, 2005 - leechin' ducats
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on June 29, 2005, 08:29:54 pm
Unfunny.

Next.
Title: June 29, 2005 - leechin' ducats
Post by: arkabee on June 29, 2005, 11:00:40 pm
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Unfunny.

Next.
]


INDEED, BUT ENOUGH ABOUT YOU!

HAW HAW HAW.
Title: June 29, 2005 - leechin' ducats
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on June 29, 2005, 11:59:12 pm
Quote from: "arkabee"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Unfunny.

Next.
]


INDEED, BUT ENOUGH ABOUT YOU!

HAW HAW HAW.


All:

In lieu of the massive unfunny of today's strip and its resultant thread, please entertain yourself with this picture. (http://windigo.org/~zebulon/trifecta.jpg) (sfw)

Thank you.