The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: cellardoor on July 01, 2005, 09:10:30 am

Title: The dude is from circumstances - 01/07/05
Post by: cellardoor on July 01, 2005, 09:10:30 am
Hee, Ray punching himself is awesome.

The last sequence of panels played out with that piece of music from 'The Piano'. Hella serious.
Title: The dude is from circumstances - 01/07/05
Post by: mudokon on July 01, 2005, 09:19:25 am
My, my. Mad Circumstances.
Title: The dude is from circumstances - 01/07/05
Post by: JeremyW on July 01, 2005, 09:27:57 am
I've known people from circumstances.
Title: The dude is from circumstances - 01/07/05
Post by: V-Adore on July 01, 2005, 12:38:53 pm
I would like this a lot more without the obviously jokey alt-text, but ah well. It's nice to see Onstad working primarily with darkness again -- this strip is just a joy to look at, even if it's also painful to read (in a good way).
Title: The dude is from circumstances - 01/07/05
Post by: angryhate on July 01, 2005, 01:35:21 pm
why doesn't roast beef wear glasses anymore?
Title: The dude is from circumstances - 01/07/05
Post by: Golfhaus on July 01, 2005, 01:37:25 pm
I, too, enjoy these comics immensely. I wonder if jumping the bridge and floating down the river is something Beef does a lot... maybe it's his therapy, like Phillipe splashing the water in the toilet.
Title: The dude is from circumstances - 01/07/05
Post by: Doc on July 01, 2005, 01:39:27 pm
Damn, that really is Circumstances.

Is this where young Beef goes to think or is he doing a 'just going to drift down the river and away from all this forever' kind of thing.

I think Ray reacts about as appropriately as one can in that situation, I think just randomly panicing and trying to do anything to distract the person is about right.

EDIT: Golfhaus, I always saw the Phillipe toilet therapy as more an obssessive compulsive thing, not a calming activity, interesting take.
Title: The dude is from circumstances - 01/07/05
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on July 01, 2005, 02:33:50 pm
Quote from: "Asherdan"
Also, I have doubted Rays friendship and motives sometimes but doubt I'll make that mistake anymore.[/size]


I am a bit surprised at this.  I have never doubted Ray's friendship.  He may be an oblivious moron at times, but he really cares about his people.  
http://raysmuckles.blogspot.com/2004/08/damn-todor.html
Title: Re: The dude is from circumstances - 01/07/05
Post by: Emergent_C on July 01, 2005, 02:33:58 pm
Quote from: "cellardoor"
Hee, Ray punching himself is awesome.


I enjoy that panel because Ray's tail is visible. We too rarely see the cats' tails.
Title: The dude is from circumstances - 01/07/05
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on July 01, 2005, 02:37:44 pm
Quote from: "Golfhaus"
I, too, enjoy these comics immensely. I wonder if jumping the bridge and floating down the river is something Beef does a lot... maybe it's his therapy, like Phillipe splashing the water in the toilet.


Doubtful. He's afraid of creeks.
Title: The dude is from circumstances - 01/07/05
Post by: cellardoor on July 01, 2005, 02:51:33 pm
HOLY CRAP!
You can see Ray's tail.
That. Is. Awesome.
Title: The dude is from circumstances - 01/07/05
Post by: aparrish on July 01, 2005, 03:31:41 pm
Wow.  Onstad's really ... working some rough chuckles these days.
Title: The dude is from circumstances - 01/07/05
Post by: editor on July 01, 2005, 03:36:06 pm
Poor, poor Beef.

Well, happy Friday everyone.
Title: The dude is from circumstances - 01/07/05
Post by: pmcd9 on July 01, 2005, 04:37:29 pm
Quote from: "aparrish"
Wow.  Onstad's really ... working some rough chuckles these days.

There's your winner.

~Paul
Title: The dude is from circumstances - 01/07/05
Post by: robot_roll_call on July 01, 2005, 04:44:14 pm
Quote from: "aparrish"
Wow.  Onstad's really ... working some rough chuckles these days.


He's just trying to get inside your head, you know?
Title: The dude is from circumstances - 01/07/05
Post by: Formica on July 01, 2005, 08:31:41 pm
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "Golfhaus"
I, too, enjoy these comics immensely. I wonder if jumping the bridge and floating down the river is something Beef does a lot... maybe it's his therapy, like Phillipe splashing the water in the toilet.


Doubtful. He's afraid of creeks.

Yes, but it has established that it's Gramma K who instilled the fear of creeks in him, and at this point in his life, he is in the care of his mother. It might be inferred from this current storyline that it was this event that put him in the care of Gramma K.

I enjoy the cartoon cats, even the strangely melancholy tale of the depressed cat's upbringing.
Title: The dude is from circumstances - 01/07/05
Post by: AlohaDawg on July 01, 2005, 09:19:30 pm
I like how Beef is sucking his thumb in the second panel
Title: The dude is from circumstances - 01/07/05
Post by: jough on July 01, 2005, 10:56:10 pm
I think he just has his patte over his gueule.
Title: The dude is from circumstances - 01/07/05
Post by: AlohaDawg on July 01, 2005, 10:58:16 pm
I prefer the nearly catatonic, psychically shocked, reverting to early childhood interpretation.

Also, I don't know what a patte or a gueule is.
Title: The dude is from circumstances - 01/07/05
Post by: andalucia on July 01, 2005, 11:20:18 pm
Français!  Car c'est la fête du Canada!

patte = paw
gueule = mouth, approximately

I am on the team of finding this not so much with the funny.
Title: The dude is from circumstances - 01/07/05
Post by: AlohaDawg on July 02, 2005, 12:43:18 am
The strip isn't funny per se, but I find the thumbsucking funny.
Title: The dude is from circumstances - 01/07/05
Post by: AugustWest on July 02, 2005, 12:57:02 am
I'm not so sure I find it funny as much as poignant and wonderful.  In a non-Lifetime Network sort of way.
Title: The dude is from circumstances - 01/07/05
Post by: AlohaDawg on July 02, 2005, 01:14:50 am
Stay tuned Friday for a Very Special Achewood which any parent of a teenager can not afford to miss.
Title: The dude is from circumstances - 01/07/05
Post by: MattFish on July 02, 2005, 01:21:29 am
Look, Beef! I'm hitting myself! I'm hitting myself! Look!
Title: The dude is from circumstances - 01/07/05
Post by: andalucia on July 02, 2005, 01:57:11 am
Ooh, AD, new rank?
Title: The dude is from circumstances - 01/07/05
Post by: AlohaDawg on July 02, 2005, 05:07:52 am
I'm glad you noticed. I'm TOUAMB2K compliant.

Are there any festivities planned for the upcoming 2nd Birthday of this festive board, btw?

PS If I were a mod, I've move this post. Sorry.

Also, sorry Ahmad - I'm not you, but you know what I mean.
Title: The dude is from circumstances - 01/07/05
Post by: jough on July 02, 2005, 06:33:24 am
We have a wee surprise coming up for August 1st.  I'll not say more.
Title: The dude is from circumstances - 01/07/05
Post by: antioch on July 02, 2005, 07:44:47 am
Does Beef float to Ray's house? I can totally see that as a means of transit.
Title: The dude is from circumstances - 01/07/05
Post by: wombat on July 02, 2005, 11:23:13 am
Quote from: "jough"
We have a wee surprise coming up for August 1st.  I'll not say more.


Why does this make me apprehensive rather than full of joyous anticipation?
Title: The dude is from circumstances - 01/07/05
Post by: Bozack on July 02, 2005, 04:19:04 pm
Quote from: "jough"
We have a wee surprise coming up for August 1st.  I'll not say more.


This time, I'M having a baby.
Title: The dude is from circumstances - 01/07/05
Post by: Lister on July 03, 2005, 02:11:48 am
Quote from: "Bozack"
This time, I'M having a baby.


But who's the mother?

dun dun DUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!
Title: The dude is from circumstances - 01/07/05
Post by: St_Zartan on July 03, 2005, 03:37:30 am
Quote from: "Bozack"
Quote from: "jough"
We have a wee surprise coming up for August 1st.  I'll not say more.


This time, I'M having a baby.


...and the laughter is on the house!

(http://www.norcalmovies.com/FullHouse/fullhouse-poster.jpg)

Check local listings
Title: The dude is from circumstances - 01/07/05
Post by: JeremyW on July 03, 2005, 06:11:58 am
Quote from: "angryhate"
why doesn't roast beef wear glasses anymore?


On the same note what made Ray decide to apopt a thong as his offical uniform?
Title: The dude is from circumstances - 01/07/05
Post by: Noah on July 03, 2005, 08:04:14 am
man this made me want to cry
Title: The dude is from circumstances - 01/07/05
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on July 03, 2005, 12:59:45 pm
Quote from: "JeremyW"
Quote from: "angryhate"
why doesn't roast beef wear glasses anymore?


On the same note what made Ray decide to apopt a thong as his offical uniform?


Experience having a matchstick stuck into his anus to make him go poopie (EVERY TIME!) caused him to become a thong-wearing deviant who watched callipygian women smothering pastries with their posteriors.
Title: The dude is from circumstances - 01/07/05
Post by: wombat on July 03, 2005, 05:24:52 pm
There's nothing sexier than a man with a large...  vocabulary.
Title: The dude is from circumstances - 01/07/05
Post by: JeremyW on July 04, 2005, 02:40:58 am
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "JeremyW"
Quote from: "angryhate"
why doesn't roast beef wear glasses anymore?


On the same note what made Ray decide to apopt a thong as his offical uniform?


Experience having a matchstick stuck into his anus to make him go poopie (EVERY TIME!) caused him to become a thong-wearing deviant who watched callipygian women smothering pastries with their posteriors.


Can somebody supply me with a link to that comic?
Title: The dude is from circumstances - 01/07/05
Post by: Doctor C on July 04, 2005, 04:05:43 pm
Quote from: "JeremyW"
Can somebody supply me with a link to that comic?

right here (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=02212003). Although it's kinda weird (yeah okay, weirder) to read now, since the idea of the cats having breeders or owners doesn't really fit with the strip these days