The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Bobby Isosceles on July 05, 2005, 02:10:25 pm

Title: BLOGVS IVLIVS - July Blogs.
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on July 05, 2005, 02:10:25 pm
Very Fight Club-esque method of the service class getting back at the management class under the uncaring scrutinizing eye of cable television.
Title: BLOGVS IVLIVS - July Blogs.
Post by: Emergent_C on July 05, 2005, 02:53:36 pm
I need to know who Little Nephew's parents are. Ray's obviously lacking in the clue department, but he has a brother or sister whose progeny is quite bright.

"i be makin' mobius money" is genius, all.
Title: BLOGVS IVLIVS - July Blogs.
Post by: V-Adore on July 05, 2005, 03:26:02 pm
Beef's dialect change lately utterly confounds me. That said, the Butte shenanigans are enjoyable, and I am honestly looking forward to the continuing Saga of Curpeter. A modern-day Beowulf, indeed. (Also, yes, LN is apparently quite bright. Has he been mooching off Mr. Bear lately?)
Title: BLOGVS IVLIVS - July Blogs.
Post by: Emergent_C on July 07, 2005, 04:11:05 pm
So Teodor was overcharging Ray for the party stuff and pocketing the profits. I know Ray is hella decadent and all, but does this really seem like something Teodor would have no qualms about doing?
Title: BLOGVS IVLIVS - July Blogs.
Post by: CortJstr on July 07, 2005, 04:25:55 pm
Quote from: "Emergent_C"
So Teodor was overcharging Ray for the party stuff and pocketing the profits. I know Ray is hella decadent and all, but does this really seem like something Teodor would have no qualms about doing?

Since Ray stopped losing at pool they need some way to get some cash off of him. Plus Teodor was charging a premium for his mad chef skills.
Title: BLOGVS IVLIVS - July Blogs.
Post by: St_Zartan on July 07, 2005, 04:29:33 pm
Quote from: "Emergent_C"
So Teodor was overcharging Ray for the party stuff and pocketing the profits. I know Ray is hella decadent and all, but does this really seem like something Teodor would have no qualms about doing?


I remember we talked about Ray seeming to pretty much swindle himself as a contrived way of sharing his wealth with friends (making lavish bets he cannot possibly win, etc). I guess this might be the next logical step; Téodor can come off as sort of grimly contemptuous of Ray, so he probably figures that Ray would never make the mental connection, and even if he did, just blow it off without a confrontation.

Remember, this is a dude who wrote a ten thousand dollar check to Oreos. It's not the money so much as the fact that his friend was being overcharged.

On preview: yeah, what CJ said, maybe.
Title: BLOGVS IVLIVS - July Blogs.
Post by: CortJstr on July 07, 2005, 04:37:10 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Quote from: "Emergent_C"
So Teodor was overcharging Ray for the party stuff and pocketing the profits. I know Ray is hella decadent and all, but does this really seem like something Teodor would have no qualms about doing?

I remember we talked about Ray seeming to pretty much swindle himself as a contrived way of sharing his wealth with friends (making lavish bets he cannot possibly win, etc).

I dunno. I could totally see this except that Ray seems totally oblivious to the company who's charging too much being Teodor's last name backwards. If Ray knew I think he would let Teodor keep doing it maybe just hint to only charge double instead of quintuple or something.
Title: BLOGVS IVLIVS - July Blogs.
Post by: mudokon on July 07, 2005, 04:37:22 pm
So, any guesses as to what Ray is hinting at in the last part of his post?
Title: BLOGVS IVLIVS - July Blogs.
Post by: Bozack on July 07, 2005, 05:28:18 pm
It could be Chris Bell, of Big Star, Dennis Boon, from the Minutemen, Kurt Cobain, Les Harvey, of Stone the Crows, Jimi Hendrix,  Robert Johnson, Brian Jones, Janis Joplin, one of the guys from Wings, one of the guys from the Dead, Jim Morrison,  and Gary Thain, from Uriah Heep.

I'm betting the party will be a "come as a rock star who died at 27." There's a LOT of 'em. I'll bet Teodor goes as Dennis Boon.

I found all of this on this (http://www.av1611.org/rockdead.html) really, really creepy site. DO YOU CHOOSE LIFE?
Title: BLOGVS IVLIVS - July Blogs.
Post by: mudokon on July 07, 2005, 05:58:48 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
It could be Chris Bell, of Big Star, Dennis Boon, from the Minutemen, Kurt Cobain, Les Harvey, of Stone the Crows, Jimi Hendrix,  Robert Johnson, Brian Jones, Janis Joplin, one of the guys from Wings, one of the guys from the Dead, Jim Morrison,  and Gary Thain, from Uriah Heep.


Excellent. Now, whose death among those would Ray need a stuntman to properly emulate?
Title: BLOGVS IVLIVS - July Blogs.
Post by: pmcd9 on July 07, 2005, 06:07:25 pm
Quote from: "mudokon"
Quote from: "Bozack"
It could be Chris Bell, of Big Star, Dennis Boon, from the Minutemen, Kurt Cobain, Les Harvey, of Stone the Crows, Jimi Hendrix,  Robert Johnson, Brian Jones, Janis Joplin, one of the guys from Wings, one of the guys from the Dead, Jim Morrison,  and Gary Thain, from Uriah Heep.


Excellent. Now, whose death among those would Ray need a stuntman to properly emulate?

Cobain, the shotgun to the face is a very difficult stunt.

~Paul
Title: BLOGVS IVLIVS - July Blogs.
Post by: Bozack on July 07, 2005, 06:36:28 pm
Or Boon. A van comes flying up and crashes into a telephone pole out in front of Rays house, a dude comes flying out and lands on his feet. It's BOON!
Title: BLOGVS IVLIVS - July Blogs.
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on July 09, 2005, 12:56:30 pm
I loved Pat's latest blog, especially this part:

Quote from: "Pat"

I took out my checkbook (I would naturally stop payment on the check as soon as I got home) and asked how much for the men's trim. The fuck*ng bitch receptionist said "fifty-five dollars." I said "don't quit your day job" and readied my pen to scribble down a more reasonable sum, such as zero dollars or as much as six.
Title: BLOGVS IVLIVS - July Blogs.
Post by: mudokon on July 09, 2005, 03:02:03 pm
Yeah, Pat's latest one is good. I love "despicably average".

I wonder how many of Pat's entries are culled from Onstad's own life.
Title: BLOGVS IVLIVS - July Blogs.
Post by: St_Zartan on July 09, 2005, 03:15:03 pm
I looked like a god-damned magazine person.

Man, when Pat is on, he is my top-dollar favorite.
Title: BLOGVS IVLIVS - July Blogs.
Post by: CortJstr on July 09, 2005, 03:38:37 pm
Granted $55 is an absolutely criminal amount to charge for a haircut but shouldn't Pat have asked that before sitting down? And why would anybody want to look like they were on That 70's Show?

Clearly Beef has yet to lay his eyes on the Swiss Army USB drive (http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/tools/6b3b/). The description even fits in with his blog
Quote from: "Think Geek"
We realize this gorgeous Swiss Army knife, with a built-in USB flash drive, is probably causing you to become very excited and thus filling you with an almost uncontrollable urge to immediately add this item to your cart (and hey, we certainly won't stop you). This is a geek's dream gadget brought to life - and with very little standing between you and your acquisition of this bad boy, we can fully understand your elation.
Title: BLOGVS IVLIVS - July Blogs.
Post by: Bozack on July 09, 2005, 03:57:32 pm
I love how Beef's post goes from being sublimely happy about being able to get the knife to totally depressed about how he spends too much money.
Dang, Beef. Get you that knife, forget the old lady and just go off into the woods and have a good ol' time!
Title: BLOGVS IVLIVS - July Blogs.
Post by: V-Adore on July 09, 2005, 06:26:55 pm
Hell, now I want the Swiss Army USB drive. Badly. Oh Jesus.

I can't believe nobody's commented on Lyle's last poem yet. I mean, helicopter delicopter? What makes Lyle even think of this stuff? (Besides, obviously, booze.)
Title: BLOGVS IVLIVS - July Blogs.
Post by: CortJstr on July 09, 2005, 07:26:32 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Hell, now I want the Swiss Army USB drive. Badly. Oh Jesus.

V, in that case. Do NOT (http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/input/785b/) browse (http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/input/77ba/) the rest of of Think Geek. I cannot (http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electronic/77e6/) stress (http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/input/7730/) this (http://www.thinkgeek.com/cubegoodies/toys/6708/) enough.
Title: BLOGVS IVLIVS - July Blogs.
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on July 14, 2005, 12:50:59 pm
"Douche Science" would be an excellent name for a punk band that Onstad will not pay $13/mo to listen to on XM Radio.
Title: BLOGVS IVLIVS - July Blogs.
Post by: CortJstr on July 14, 2005, 12:56:35 pm
I'm going to assume that CP was just messing with Teodor here. But I can't decide if Beef's entry was a happy one or the saddest thing.
Title: BLOGVS IVLIVS - July Blogs.
Post by: andalucia on July 14, 2005, 01:04:27 pm
"Female Partition Jesus" makes up for Onstad's timely riffing on That Tom Cruise; He Is Zany.  I think.
Title: BLOGVS IVLIVS - July Blogs.
Post by: wombat on July 14, 2005, 01:09:55 pm
Beef's entry is happy!  He stood up for himself.

But Teodor's is extremely disturbing.
Title: BLOGVS IVLIVS - July Blogs.
Post by: Emergent_C on July 14, 2005, 02:07:18 pm
Is it just Teodor who has classist tendencies, or is it Onstad in the guise of Teodor, who is in fact the classist?
Title: BLOGVS IVLIVS - July Blogs.
Post by: CortJstr on July 14, 2005, 02:32:50 pm
Quote from: "Emergent_C"
Is it just Teodor who has classist tendencies, or is it Onstad in the guise of Teodor, who is in fact the classist?

You should read Ilium. At one point they start debating if the Wil in the sonnets is Shakespeare or not.
Title: BLOGVS IVLIVS - July Blogs.
Post by: V-Adore on July 14, 2005, 02:49:56 pm
The Molly post is just... enh. More of Molly's restaurant career not being fantabulous. Been there, done that. The Beef post is pretty nice, though.

The Onstad post is one of the times I've hoped most fervently that Onstad's blog is in no way a reflection of his real life, because damn, weird and incoherent this week. You can also tell that he's Californian because he rates "can go on snow" as a feature on the caliber of the eep-eep door-opening noise. What the hell, people.
Title: BLOGVS IVLIVS - July Blogs.
Post by: pmcd9 on July 14, 2005, 03:18:06 pm
I rate "can go on snow" as an I would like to pay less and have you remove this feature level.
Title: BLOGVS IVLIVS - July Blogs.
Post by: editor on July 14, 2005, 03:29:58 pm
The Teador post left me feeling kinda sorry for CP until Teador wrote this: "I'm not sure what to do with a guy who apparently does nothing with his palate other than draw the beef curtains, if I may make a food/cunnilingus analogy."  

This left me cringing and laughing at the same time.  Nicely done, Mr. Onstad, nicely done.
Title: BLOGVS IVLIVS - July Blogs.
Post by: V-Adore on July 14, 2005, 03:39:27 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"
I rate "can go on snow" as an I would like to pay less and have you remove this feature level.

Right, because the first feature I want removed from my car to lower the price is "ability to be driven even in adverse weather conditions." Right on.

:roll:
Title: BLOGVS IVLIVS - July Blogs.
Post by: pmcd9 on July 14, 2005, 03:42:29 pm
Right, because the stated adverse weather condition never crosses my path.  I thought you knew I lived in South Texas.

~Paul
Title: BLOGVS IVLIVS - July Blogs.
Post by: ferocious j on July 14, 2005, 05:25:46 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
"Female Partition Jesus" makes up for Onstad's timely riffing on That Tom Cruise; He Is Zany.  I think.

"Makes up for," nothing.  "Celebrity mousse" is gold.

Going on snow isn't something anyone who lives in the SF Bay Area would want to pay extra for, unless that person spent a lot of time going to Tahoe for skiing purposes, or had relatives in snow country.  This place just never goes below 40 F.
Title: BLOGVS IVLIVS - July Blogs.
Post by: acoxcae on July 14, 2005, 05:36:45 pm
Y'know, my most recent car was not particularly adept on snow, and I was like, "Meh.  How much driving do I do in snow?"

And then the winter came, and any time we got a half an inch of snow, I'd be sitting at home, because I didn't want to die in my winter deathtrap.

Even if there's no/very little snow where you're at, think about the places you won't be able to go!  Except Paul, I don't think I'd drive any 12 hours from Texas to go somewhere snowy.  Dawg, you're off the hook, too.  But Californians can't be restricted to the coast because their cars have no winter abilities!

I'm done now.  Ability to go on snow should definitely be considered, basically irrespective of where you live.

Also, I'm having difficulty deciding about CP - just when I thought he was pretty OK, what with the initiation and his excellent private plane, it's revealed that he thinks Budweiser is the pinnacle of beers.  Now, being from St. Louis, I have to defend him somewhat, but as a person who enjoys beer, I can hardly stand to see this sort of opinion go unchallenged.  The fact that he didn't seem to notice Teodor's substitution means that maybe all is lost on him.
Title: BLOGVS IVLIVS - July Blogs.
Post by: V-Adore on July 14, 2005, 05:55:50 pm
Yeah, what acoxcae said -- unless you never plan on driving that car out of South Texas, you might want to consider some snow capacity at all. I may just be jaded about this because of how many people I knew in Nebraska who were totally housebound when there was any snow on the roads at all. ('Dawg gets a pass due to never facing the prospect of a road trip.)

The CP thing confuses me because he seemed like, well, the kind of guy who would enjoy the finer things in life (thus his hanging around with Teodor and Ray instead of Lyle and Todd). How much of a sham is this dude?
Title: BLOGVS IVLIVS - July Blogs.
Post by: AlohaDawg on July 14, 2005, 06:28:09 pm
"Can go on Snow" translates, though - I do use fourwheel drive here occasionally. There are some beaches on the northwest end of the island you can drive right onto, and driving on sand can be tough too - also, I like that i can park on piles of rubble, or drive over huge tree roots and other things you find at the places where I paddle, and these kind of things are related to "can go on Snow"....

Being from NE Ohio, and Chicago, though, I can tell you that "Can go on Snow" is much more a reflection of the skill of the driver than the vehicle. I loved driving my Ford Escort past spun-out trucks and SUVs in the medians of I-80 and I-71. A beautiful thing.
Title: BLOGVS IVLIVS - July Blogs.
Post by: pmcd9 on July 14, 2005, 06:44:24 pm
We're talking about traction.  Yes, you need traction.  That is a given.  I agree with AD though, that the skill of the driver is the most important factor that determines "can go on snow."  I was simply making light of the fact that I live in a region that rarely gets snowed upon.

~Paul
Title: BLOGVS IVLIVS - July Blogs.
Post by: AlohaDawg on July 14, 2005, 06:59:19 pm
If it ever happened, though, (Snow on Houston) it would sure #$%^ everyone up and close down the town for a week or so.
Title: BLOGVS IVLIVS - July Blogs.
Post by: pmcd9 on July 14, 2005, 07:06:43 pm
We actually had the biggest snow storm of my lifetime last Christmas eve.  We survived.

(http://www.andyland.com/g/nyc_snow/houston_intersection.jpg)
Title: BLOGVS IVLIVS - July Blogs.
Post by: palm trees on July 16, 2005, 01:12:26 am
these blogs continue to be the best thing to have ever happened to webcomics
Title: BLOGVS IVLIVS - July Blogs.
Post by: ferocious j on July 21, 2005, 09:27:41 pm
Quote from: "ray, according to teodor, "
You’re not fat, dude! But your body has reached a certain...believability.

I'm going to start saying this to any chunky guys I know from now on.  I wonder for what reason Ray was high, if not because of the 4:20 thing.
Title: BLOGVS IVLIVS - July Blogs.
Post by: cellardoor on July 22, 2005, 03:27:44 pm
Christ on a stick but Teodor's new blog is great.
"Thanks. Alright, see you around."

 :D
Title: BLOGVS IVLIVS - July Blogs.
Post by: Mantonio on July 26, 2005, 05:38:02 pm
Quote from: "Asherdan"
Lyle's post today gave me a laugh.

As a child a favorite 'take off' expression was to tell someone to "go pee up a rope". Except being young and all it came out often as "go pee a' rope".

Lyle can pee a rope.


Lyle needs to start drinking booze thats a little less embalmy.
Title: BLOGVS IVLIVS - July Blogs.
Post by: Lister on July 26, 2005, 06:12:41 pm
I'll never be able to think of a funnel cake without also thinking of Lyle's urine.  THANK YOU THIS IS WHAT I WANTED FOREVER
Title: BLOGVS IVLIVS - July Blogs.
Post by: Turbo Ninja on July 27, 2005, 03:07:31 pm
Instead of "more water," Lyle might want to try "less tranny fux."
Title: under cabinet toaster
Post by: c00kie on July 28, 2005, 09:37:16 am
http://www.blackanddeckerappliances.com/product_detail.asp?T1=APP%20TMB10

This is a good idea for a thing to have.
Title: BLOGVS IVLIVS - July Blogs.
Post by: pmcd9 on July 28, 2005, 01:09:14 pm
Two comments.  First, Mr. Bear, you are so totally off base.  Tomato season should never end.  Just yesterday I was saddened by the fact that the local homegrown supply has dried up.  It's a very sad thing.  Also, it's a very spoiled life you lead that you feel you have cause to complain when you are being fed gourmet fare daily.

Second comment.  Mr. Onstad, you are an egomaniac.

~Paul
Title: BLOGVS IVLIVS - July Blogs.
Post by: CortJstr on July 28, 2005, 02:07:25 pm
I'm not seeing how the toaster oven in question is that hard to find. Although I myself went to like 4 stores yesterday looking for a phone for my parents. He's probably in the same boat of wanting a feature combination that the manufacturers never anticipated.
Title: BLOGVS IVLIVS - July Blogs.
Post by: cellardoor on July 28, 2005, 02:49:45 pm
Do you know what riles me more than a strip lacking of comedic merit?
Onstad's obsession with food.
Boring and not even vaguely amusing.
Phillipe bashing a haiku in with a baseball bat however is rad.
Title: BLOGVS IVLIVS - July Blogs.
Post by: side_show on July 28, 2005, 03:06:33 pm
God, I never usually read the blog threads.  I suppose I should feel like a total dork for having emailed him with the info he needed about toaster oven mounting hoods?  I've never written a fawning fan letter to anyone, but I do like to help a guy out.  

I worked at Wal-Mart's small appliances for three years people, three years!  I can't help but go into customer service mode when information is asked of me.  It's programmed into my DNA.  And if any one of you wanted to know about toaster ovens, philishave razors, dirt devils, etc etc, I would have shared the same information with you, even if you asked in a mildly pandering, sarcastic  and/or demeaning way.

Do you know I took a shopping cart to the hip that knocked me to the ground?  That's right people.  Veterans still have something to contribute to society.

And besides, toaster ovens are awesome.  I was a toaster oven fan years before I was and Achewood fan.  So Screw you.  Screw you all.

Dear god, working from home has turned me into a strange creature.  Defensive?  Yes.  Regretful?  No.  
Title: BLOGVS IVLIVS - July Blogs.
Post by: pmcd9 on July 28, 2005, 03:19:04 pm
Quote from: "side_show"
God, I never usually read the blog threads.  I suppose I should feel like a total dork for having emailed him with the info he needed about toaster oven mounting hoods?

You just want to have your name written on the door in sharpie.  Don't feed his ego.

~Paul
Title: BLOGVS IVLIVS - July Blogs.
Post by: Mantonio on July 28, 2005, 03:30:31 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"
You just want to have your name written on the door in sharpie.  Don't feed his ego.


Ego? You want ego, go read Pat's latest.

I know it's been said a dozenty times already, but I'll say it again anyway:

Pat is a fuck*ng DICK.
Title: BLOGVS IVLIVS - July Blogs.
Post by: St_Zartan on July 28, 2005, 03:35:00 pm
Quote from: "cellardoor"
Do you know what riles me more than a strip lacking of comedic merit?
Onstad's obsession with food.
Boring and not even vaguely amusing.


A negative comment? From you? I feel like throwing you a bar mitzvah.

Quote from: "side_show"
I was a toaster oven fan years before I was and Achewood fan. So Screw you. Screw you all.


Hey, I'm also a fan of toaster ovens and other unfairly marginalized kitchen appliances. Still, I'm surprised that you actually wrote in with the appropriate advice; the tone of that blog entry was pretty much "I am going to look down on you for helping me out, and you will like it". Anyway, yeah, toaster ovens are terrific, but only if they're the old style with the timers that go rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Hell, I think I'm more or less nostalgic for my grandmother's kitchen, even that old Radarange that was probably about as safe as an exposed atomic pile.
Title: BLOGVS IVLIVS - July Blogs.
Post by: mudokon on July 28, 2005, 03:36:41 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Also, it's a very spoiled life you lead that you feel you have cause to complain when you are being fed gourmet fare daily.


I always feel bad reading these blog entries, knowing that I'll never get to try the foods that these fictional stuffed animals are constantly describing. But not that bad, I guess.
Title: BLOGVS IVLIVS - July Blogs.
Post by: cellardoor on July 28, 2005, 03:48:45 pm
I need closure on Ray's party, dammit, and this waffle about ovens is stopping that!
Plus I eat English food so i'm just jealous.
*eats black pudding*
Title: BLOGVS IVLIVS - July Blogs.
Post by: pmcd9 on July 28, 2005, 03:51:06 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
atomic pile.

That sounds like a sales feature of a 60's era carpet.

~Paul
Title: BLOGVS IVLIVS - July Blogs.
Post by: AugustWest on July 28, 2005, 06:14:41 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
atomic pile.

That sounds like a sales feature of a 60's era carpet.

~Paul


/golf claps
Title: BLOGVS IVLIVS - July Blogs.
Post by: Bozack on July 28, 2005, 06:41:47 pm
I think the best cooking gadget ever has to be this. (http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/12volporovan.html)
Shove your toaster over up your ass. I can make a pizza IN MY CAR.
Title: BLOGVS IVLIVS - July Blogs.
Post by: CortJstr on July 28, 2005, 06:48:20 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
I think the best cooking gadget ever has to be this. (http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/12volporovan.html)
Shove your toaster over up your ass. I can make a pizza IN MY CAR.

Never underestimate the stupidity of the American public.

Quote from: "A guy I used to know online named Farheim"
The Universe is an infinitely vast place, which is expanding at the speed of light, in all directions. New planets, galaxies, possibly even living creatures, are being created and born throughout the cosmos. All of this majesty and wonder of the heavens above SUCKS ASS COMPARED TO MY PIZZA.
Title: BLOGVS IVLIVS - July Blogs.
Post by: AlohaDawg on July 28, 2005, 08:45:38 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
atomic pile.

That sounds like a sales feature of a 60's era carpet.

~Paul


/golf claps


The oldsters used to call hemmorhoids piles too. An atomic pile would, I guess, be a pretty bad one.
Title: BLOGVS IVLIVS - July Blogs.
Post by: MattFish on July 29, 2005, 04:48:23 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
The oldsters used to call hemmorhoids piles too. An atomic pile would, I guess, be a pretty bad one.


Not necessarily considering the size of most atoms
Title: BLOGVS IVLIVS - July Blogs.
Post by: Bozack on July 30, 2005, 09:02:57 am
Mmmm! The Rock Star died at 27! I called it! STICK WITH THE KID!
This is a magnificent post. Just really, really great. And the fact that Ray's reaction is to spread garlic around, to ward off Jimi Hendrix....I LOVES it.

EDIT- I read it again.
Quote from: "Ray"
If anything, it should have just shut itself off, as per the First Law of *****s.


YESSS! YESSSS!
This is seriously SO DAMN FUNNY.
Title: BLOGVS IVLIVS - July Blogs.
Post by: Gimpson on July 30, 2005, 12:00:13 pm
My first question here is what is up with umlauts on the second vowel of a repeated vowel in a word?  I never see that anywhere other than the New Yorker, but they do it consistently.  Is reelected really supposed to be reëlected?

If so, how does Ray know this while I do not?
Title: BLOGVS IVLIVS - July Blogs.
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on July 30, 2005, 12:31:26 pm
Ray would not know any of Asimov's rules of *****s. PLAUSIBILITY: DENIED.
Title: BLOGVS IVLIVS - July Blogs.
Post by: CortJstr on July 30, 2005, 03:14:31 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
Mmmm! The Rock Star died at 27! I called it! STICK WITH THE KID!

Mentok?
Title: BLOGVS IVLIVS - July Blogs.
Post by: jough on July 30, 2005, 03:49:21 pm
The diaresis lets you know that the two vowels have disparate syllables.  It's not an umlaut.

For instance, the diaresis lets you know that preëminent:

pre-EM-in-ent

and not

PREEM-in-ent.
Title: BLOGVS IVLIVS - July Blogs.
Post by: Bozack on July 30, 2005, 04:55:36 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"

Mentok?

THE MINNNNNDDDDDTAKER! OOOOOOOEEEEOOOO!
Title: BLOGVS IVLIVS - July Blogs.
Post by: side_show on August 08, 2005, 02:28:19 pm
I am never recommending a toaster oven to anyone ever again.  God I feel so dirty.
Title: BLOGVS IVLIVS - July Blogs.
Post by: cellardoor on August 08, 2005, 02:33:52 pm
"It is like having a basic earthworm beside me, only it is a worm that seems like it might be able to learn and hate"

I almost started a new topic just to post this.
This has made my week already.
So entertained.
Title: BLOGVS IVLIVS - July Blogs.
Post by: acoxcae on August 08, 2005, 02:43:18 pm
Blogs: A-

While Chris shows a thorough understanding of the blog form, his failure to notify readers that he'd already vetoed the most viable of his toaster oven options shows the subtle flaws in his methodology.  He makes up for this later with a perfect showing re: Beef's new knife.  Also, his explanation for Philippe's late night with his shoes is an excellent thing to behold.

Teodor needs to quit being down on himself just because some flaky Bud-drinking porn star gave him the slip - he's still got an awesome caftan out of the deal.