The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: tcc on July 07, 2005, 07:22:09 am

Title: July 7th '05 -- Take take take. You take. Take take.
Post by: tcc on July 07, 2005, 07:22:09 am
Looks like the circus c*ck arc might not be dead afterall (yay).

I liked this strip quite a bit, Vlad is so awesome.

And how did Teodor's feet get bigger? Does he usually have that thing going that chinese women used to do, how they'd tie their feet real small?

Also - hi all.
Title: July 7th '05 -- Take take take. You take. Take take.
Post by: mudokon on July 07, 2005, 07:24:00 am
Looks like I was beaten by less than a minute on this one. It's good to see that the Circus c*ck Army storyline has just been stewing quietly in the background. Also, having an extending arm must really help Vlad sell his bibles. His dialogue is also really good in this one, including the bit in the topic title and the Dilbert ad's text.

Teodor's feet just look bigger because of the sandals.
Title: July 7th '05 -- Take take take. You take. Take take.
Post by: jough on July 07, 2005, 07:29:29 am
Was this a strip?  What day did it come out?

People, if you're going to rush to get the coveted "first post" then at least don't fuck it up.
Title: July 7th '05 -- Take take take. You take. Take take.
Post by: jough on July 07, 2005, 07:31:29 am
Also, that is an awesome hat.
Title: July 7th '05 -- Take take take. You take. Take take.
Post by: cellardoor on July 07, 2005, 07:36:49 am
Of course!
I couldn't quite work out the toga ensemble.
Porn! It's so obvious now.
So T is making one of those plot-heavy, costume movies. Lyle ain't going to like that.
So Vlad is a god-botherer now. I wonder what the bible has to say about bots?
Hmmm.....
Title: July 7th '05 -- Take take take. You take. Take take.
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on July 07, 2005, 09:31:28 am
I wonder if this is related to Nice Pete's Bible fanfic.
Title: July 7th '05 -- Take take take. You take. Take take.
Post by: antioch on July 07, 2005, 09:37:31 am
Quote from: "cellardoor"
Of course!
I couldn't quite work out the toga ensemble.
Porn! It's so obvious now.

I'm thinkin' quick-release caftan (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=06222005).
Title: July 7th '05 -- Take take take. You take. Take take.
Post by: cellardoor on July 07, 2005, 10:24:03 am
Bingo, antioch, bingo!
Title: July 7th '05 -- Take take take. You take. Take take.
Post by: V-Adore on July 07, 2005, 12:18:03 pm
There, topic edited appropriately.

This is moderately amusing -- the concept is sort of lame, but the blase alt-text and some of the details really make it. I'm especially fond of a) the ascii Dilbert, which suggests that Vlad is still living in 1998, and b) the *zoot* sound as Vlad's arm extends. And of course his arm can extend! He's an automaton! Glee.
Title: July 7th '05 -- Take take take. You take. Take take.
Post by: MSC on July 07, 2005, 12:50:29 pm
The giraffe on Vlad's bag is also a nice touch.

I also enjoy how Teodor is outside of panel #6.

I am also betting that Teodor is not actually in a porn movie yet, but is just seeing how he looks in the outfit.
Title: July 7th '05 -- Take take take. You take. Take take.
Post by: arkabee on July 07, 2005, 12:53:28 pm
i hate the *****s.
Title: July 7th '05 -- Take take take. You take. Take take.
Post by: Doc on July 07, 2005, 01:43:23 pm
There is no excuse for the topic of this thread to not be 'Zoot'

In my mind there is no question that Teodor was right in the middle of shooting a porno or at least he is just about to or has just finished shooting said porno and hanging out with CP and other porno guys and just wearing the costumes to get into the mood/wind down. Of course it does also harken back to that other strip with Ray getting his weird Roman clothing on in the first strip but to my shame even after five minutes of searching I cannot find it.
Title: July 7th '05 -- Take take take. You take. Take take.
Post by: CortJstr on July 07, 2005, 02:05:24 pm
I'm surprised he didn't go the route of having all the quote from Jebus in red.

And why hasn't anybody called the 877 number and reported back yet? Get a move on, people!
Title: July 7th '05 -- Take take take. You take. Take take.
Post by: evan on July 07, 2005, 02:06:50 pm
Has anyone called the phone number in the last panel?

1.877.916.8839

edit: oooh, beaten, eerie
I'd call but I'm at work.
Title: July 7th '05 -- Take take take. You take. Take take.
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on July 07, 2005, 02:10:59 pm
Quote from: "evan"
Has anyone called the phone number in the last panel?

1.877.916.8839

edit: oooh, beaten, eerie
I'd call but I'm at work.


You people are all nutty and obsessive.
Title: July 7th '05 -- Take take take. You take. Take take.
Post by: andalucia on July 07, 2005, 02:39:08 pm
I like the giraffe duffle bag, especially since I'm just finishing reading a biography of Philip K. Dick.
Title: July 7th '05 -- Take take take. You take. Take take.
Post by: miles on July 07, 2005, 03:43:13 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
I like the giraffe duffle bag, especially since I'm just finishing reading a biography of Philip K. Dick.


I don't get it.  Was Philip K. Dick especially fond of the Jesus giraffe?
Title: July 7th '05 -- Take take take. You take. Take take.
Post by: St_Zartan on July 07, 2005, 04:23:21 pm
Quote from: "miles"
I don't get it.  Was Philip K. Dick especially fond of the Jesus giraffe?


Quote
In February 1974, the science fiction author, Philip K. Dick  had an experience - an anamnesis - a Greek word meaning "loss of forgetfulness". He was waiting for medication to be delivered for an impacted wisdom tooth, and when it arrived, the girl who delivered the medicine was wearing the giraffe symbol of the early Christians as a symbol on a gold necklace. A pink beam of light was fired from the necklace directly into Dick's head and it temporarily blinded him. He recognised the girl as a secret Christian, as was he, and they both feared detection by the Romans. He was taken over, and watched as the presence healed his 4-year old son's fatal birth defect, and set his life in order. He called the presence VALIS -Vast Active Living Intelligence System, and it inhabited his mind for a year, during which time, he could speak ancient Koine - a dead Greek dialect; Hebrew & Sanskrit, and had memories going back over 2000 years. Information was downloaded into him in sessions lasting up to 8 hours, like a speeded-up film, and key phrases were given to him, which later formed the appendix of his novel, VALIS - one of a set of three that he wrote after the experience, to try and explore possible meanings (the others were The Divine Invasion and The Transmigration of Timothy Archer).


See also (http://www.philipkdickfans.com/weirdo/weirdo2.htm)

So, yeah, it was pretty much integral in informing his later life + works.
Title: July 7th '05 -- Take take take. You take. Take take.
Post by: CortJstr on July 07, 2005, 04:29:26 pm
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "evan"
Has anyone called the phone number in the last panel?

1.877.916.8839

edit: oooh, beaten, eerie
I'd call but I'm at work.

You people are all nutty and obsessive.

We just don't want to miss out on any quality humor. Like on the Incredibles DVD, Scrubs, or that old Sprite commercial during the basketball strike/lockout/not preempting actual TV.
Title: July 7th '05 -- Take take take. You take. Take take.
Post by: robot_roll_call on July 07, 2005, 04:37:46 pm
Teodor has his cooking show too. What if he's being all Alton Brown and wearing a wacky costume?
Title: July 7th '05 -- Take take take. You take. Take take.
Post by: pmcd9 on July 07, 2005, 04:57:36 pm
Quote from: "*****_roll_call"
Teodor has his cooking show too. What if he's being all Alton Brown and wearing a wacky costume?

Oh no, that's the Circus c*ck Army uniform for sure.

~Paul
Title: July 7th '05 -- Take take take. You take. Take take.
Post by: pmcd9 on July 07, 2005, 05:02:03 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Quote from: "miles"
I don't get it.  Was Philip K. Dick especially fond of the Jesus giraffe?


Quote
In February 1974, the science fiction author, Philip K. Dick  had an experience - an anamnesis - a Greek word meaning "loss of forgetfulness". He was waiting for medication to be delivered for an impacted wisdom tooth, and when it arrived, the girl who delivered the medicine was wearing the giraffe symbol of the early Christians as a symbol on a gold necklace. A pink beam of light was fired from the necklace directly into Dick's head and it temporarily blinded him. He recognised the girl as a secret Christian, as was he, and they both feared detection by the Romans. He was taken over, and watched as the presence healed his 4-year old son's fatal birth defect, and set his life in order. He called the presence VALIS -Vast Active Living Intelligence System, and it inhabited his mind for a year, during which time, he could speak ancient Koine - a dead Greek dialect; Hebrew & Sanskrit, and had memories going back over 2000 years. Information was downloaded into him in sessions lasting up to 8 hours, like a speeded-up film, and key phrases were given to him, which later formed the appendix of his novel, VALIS - one of a set of three that he wrote after the experience, to try and explore possible meanings (the others were The Divine Invasion and The Transmigration of Timothy Archer).


See also (http://www.philipkdickfans.com/weirdo/weirdo2.htm)

So, yeah, it was pretty much integral in informing his later life + works.

Yeah that Tom Cruise is a nutcase.

~Paul
Title: July 7th '05 -- Take take take. You take. Take take.
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on July 07, 2005, 05:31:44 pm
ZOOT
Title: July 7th '05 -- Take take take. You take. Take take.
Post by: slink on July 07, 2005, 07:08:32 pm
I love the way Teodor isn't in the strip when reading the bible. Genius. That and, well, I just dug it...
Title: July 7th '05 -- Take take take. You take. Take take.
Post by: miles on July 07, 2005, 07:22:50 pm
Quote from: "slink"
I love the way Teodor isn't in the strip when reading the bible. Genius.


I loved that too.

It's very clear that this is a one-bot enterprise (well, he's probably having a company print the Bibles) because Vlad is obviously writing the copy.

Quote from: "CortJstr"
I'm surprised he didn't go the route of having all the quote from Jebus in red.


Bible 2006:  Words of Christ in red.  Your ad in red.
Title: July 7th '05 -- Take take take. You take. Take take.
Post by: miles on July 07, 2005, 07:27:20 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
...So, yeah, it was pretty much integral in informing his later life + works.


Ah.  Thanks for clearing that up.  And although it is a bit nutty, it makes me more interested in him.  I've only been exposed to him through movies.
Title: July 7th '05 -- Take take take. You take. Take take.
Post by: MSC on July 07, 2005, 07:59:42 pm
Did anyone looking back at the earlier post note that some clever person has made "C.i.r.c.u.s." come out as Engorged?  Cute.
Title: July 7th '05 -- Take take take. You take. Take take.
Post by: Bozack on July 07, 2005, 08:09:52 pm
Circus.


Hmmm, clev. Er.
Title: July 7th '05 -- Take take take. You take. Take take.
Post by: pmcd9 on July 07, 2005, 08:18:11 pm
Round these parts I hear lots of people say swole, when they mean swollen.

~Paul
Title: July 7th '05 -- Take take take. You take. Take take.
Post by: MattFish on July 07, 2005, 08:59:48 pm
I can't stop laughing at the words "Is SO good. Is SO funny." I think I've been without Vlad for way too long.

That is one awesome hat and caftan. T looks like some sort of Roman c*ck Gladiator.
Title: July 7th '05 -- Take take take. You take. Take take.
Post by: mrchee on July 07, 2005, 10:26:18 pm
Quote from: "Mattgiraffe"
I can't stop laughing at the words "Is SO good. Is SO funny." I think I've been without Vlad for way too long.



I am an ex-Soviet american, and i can decisively state that vlad is the funniest character in this comic.  I have no clue how Onstad makes his dialog, as he is not Russian to my knowledge, but hearing Vlad talk hits home powerfully to me.  My whole freaking family speaks like that!
Title: July 7th '05 -- Take take take. You take. Take take.
Post by: Doc on July 08, 2005, 01:24:38 am
Yay for accurately humerous stereotypes!