The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: jough on July 08, 2005, 06:41:42 am

Title: Nature's Gas Station - 08 July 2005
Post by: jough on July 08, 2005, 06:41:42 am
I guess it's funny because Pat didn't want to share?

I'm hoping this gets funny when I wake up, after Onstad FURIOUSLY twiddles with it to make it, you know, good.
Title: Nature's Gas Station - 08 July 2005
Post by: evan on July 08, 2005, 06:44:35 am
I thought it was funny.

Is the cat with the star glasses Mr. Gary? I thought he was just filling in for Mr. Gary. Mr. Gary must be gone a lot.
Title: Nature's Gas Station - 08 July 2005
Post by: bonaparte on July 08, 2005, 06:53:03 am
hey first time poster glad to be here thank you all so much.


does anyone else wish we'd see some of Nice Pete's side of their relationship in the blogs?  i mean he really does seem like a decent fella aside from all the murderings.

"How DARE DARE DARE you!"  he's such an asshole he needs to place threefold emphasis on his anger before he storms out.
Title: Nature's Gas Station - 08 July 2005
Post by: tcc on July 08, 2005, 08:06:28 am
Probably a long shot but could Pat's Bad Problem be related to the Banjo incident?  When exactly did support group last meet anyway?

Also high fives to the capitalizations (I know it's been mentioned before but it's just That Cool).
Title: Nature's Gas Station - 08 July 2005
Post by: JeremyW on July 08, 2005, 08:07:37 am
I like how the guy just calls it "support group" but doesn't say what kind of support group.  This leads me to believe that it's a support group for general misfits.
Title: Nature's Gas Station - 08 July 2005
Post by: cellardoor on July 08, 2005, 10:10:18 am
It's cool to see Jough again.
Er, I mean Pat, sorry, slip of the tongue.
Title: Nature's Gas Station - 08 July 2005
Post by: andalucia on July 08, 2005, 11:58:04 am
I hate anything involving Aaaaarthur.  He kills funny so fast.
Title: Nature's Gas Station - 08 July 2005
Post by: JeremyW on July 08, 2005, 12:25:35 pm
Are there any off panel members of support group or is it just these three guys?
Title: Nature's Gas Station - 08 July 2005
Post by: mudokon on July 08, 2005, 12:54:17 pm
Agreed, this is not a very good one. There have been much funnier support group strips in the past. I guess the best part in this one is Nice Pete's huffy expression in panel whatever (I'm lazy, you look it up).
Title: Nature's Gas Station - 08 July 2005
Post by: CortJstr on July 08, 2005, 01:01:35 pm
Quote from: "JeremyW"
I like how the guy just calls it "support group" but doesn't say what kind of support group.  This leads me to believe that it's a support group for general misfits.

I'm almost positive we were told the support group is for anger but I don't have time to check the archive right now.

And panel 10 makes the whole strip worth while no matter what you people say.
Title: Re: Nature's Gas Station - 08 July 2005
Post by: pmcd9 on July 08, 2005, 01:22:21 pm
Quote from: "jough"
I guess it's funny because Pat didn't want to share?

I'm hoping this gets funny when I wake up, after Onstad FURIOUSLY twiddles with it to make it, you know, good.

He can't do that until he reads our comments.  If you want funny, Jough, you must be more constructive in your criticism.

~Paul
Title: Nature's Gas Station - 08 July 2005
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on July 08, 2005, 01:23:59 pm
Quote from: "cellardoor"
It's cool to see Jough again.
Er, I mean Pat, sorry, slip of the tongue.


 :lol:
Title: Nature's Gas Station - 08 July 2005
Post by: mudokon on July 08, 2005, 01:37:04 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "JeremyW"
I like how the guy just calls it "support group" but doesn't say what kind of support group.  This leads me to believe that it's a support group for general misfits.

I'm almost positive we were told the support group is for anger but I don't have time to check the archive right now.

It was first in the rocketship storyline. (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=06212002)
Title: Nature's Gas Station - 08 July 2005
Post by: gearnest on July 08, 2005, 01:37:30 pm
I guess I'm easy. . . all it takes is the star glasses, the ascot, the clipboard, and that oh-so-eager forward lean and I'm thoroughly amused at the first panel.

Welcome, Bonaparte!
Title: Nature's Gas Station - 08 July 2005
Post by: aparrish on July 08, 2005, 01:40:16 pm
"Take take take?"  "Dare dare dare?"  Is this Onstad's new awesome comedy trope?
Title: Nature's Gas Station - 08 July 2005
Post by: MSC on July 08, 2005, 02:02:47 pm
I must respectfully disagree with those in the "this strip is not funny" camp.  It is funny.  For example:

-- the further demonstration of Pat/Nice Pete's bizarre relationship.  Scary, but funny.
-- Nice Pete's reactions in panels 9-10.  First shock, then just consternation.  "Damn, guess here's another group who know I'm crazy."  Images + ideas = funny.
-- Capitalization of Accept.  Excellent.

I hope now you can enjoy this on as many levels as I do.
Title: Nature's Gas Station - 08 July 2005
Post by: Doc on July 08, 2005, 02:46:13 pm
I'm just having trouble picturing Pat crying he just seems like someone way too angry to cry. Or feel any other emotion for that matter, besides self righteous anger.

And Nice Pete really is a much more decent human being than Pat, probably in a much better place mentally.
Title: Nature's Gas Station - 08 July 2005
Post by: V-Adore on July 08, 2005, 03:04:14 pm
The Nice Pete expressions make it, I think, plus the idea that Pat's Horrible Bad Thing was just not being able to deal with crying. I enjoy the fact that Nice Pete seems to be generally more stable and capable than Pat, just, you know, all about the murder act.

Arthur is fine in small doses. I laughed today, but if he showed back up tomorrow I wouldn't laugh.

Bets on our chances of ever seeing Mr. Gary?
Title: Nature's Gas Station - 08 July 2005
Post by: St_Zartan on July 08, 2005, 03:47:30 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Bets on our chances of ever seeing Mr. Gary?


We already have. Mr. Gary is Circ[size=0] [/size]us c*ck. I just know it.

THINK ABOUT IT

THINK ABOUT IT WITH YOUR HEART
Title: Nature's Gas Station - 08 July 2005
Post by: V-Adore on July 08, 2005, 03:49:08 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Bets on our chances of ever seeing Mr. Gary?


We already have. Mr. Gary is Circ[size=0] [/size]us c*ck. I just know it.

THINK ABOUT IT

THINK ABOUT IT WITH YOUR HEART

Terrifyingly enough, I think you may have a point. Well played, sir. Well played.
Title: Nature's Gas Station - 08 July 2005
Post by: CortJstr on July 08, 2005, 04:05:42 pm
I'd always thought that Mr. Gary lead their group but his conspicuous absence makes me wonder if he's more of a Brad Goodman (http://www.snpp.com/episodes/1F05.html)-type who writes books and hosts seminars and whatnot.
Title: Nature's Gas Station - 08 July 2005
Post by: jough on July 08, 2005, 04:44:20 pm
Quote from: "cellardoor"
It's cool to see Jough again.
Er, I mean Pat, sorry, slip of the tongue.


Oh please.  Read the blog entries posted under "Onstad" and then read the ones posted under "Pat" and see if you can tell a difference, other than the "Onstad" guy seems to be more ashamed of himself and slightly more of an asshole than the "Pat" guy seems to be.
Title: Nature's Gas Station - 08 July 2005
Post by: slink on July 08, 2005, 05:17:27 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
I hate anything involving Aaaaarthur.  He kills funny so fast.


What about staying off the beach!?
Title: Nature's Gas Station - 08 July 2005
Post by: MSC on July 08, 2005, 05:28:57 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Bets on our chances of ever seeing Mr. Gary?


We already have. Mr. Gary is Circ[size=0] [/size]us c*ck. I just know it.

THINK ABOUT IT

THINK ABOUT IT WITH YOUR HEART

Terrifyingly enough, I think you may have a point. Well played, sir. Well played.


I don't think so.  C.ircus c*ck doesn't have time for therapy.  Circ.us c*ck just does, Circu.s c*ck just is.  He just keeps moving forward.
Title: Nature's Gas Station - 08 July 2005
Post by: pmcd9 on July 08, 2005, 06:15:16 pm
Don't fight the filters.  They will find you out.

Swole up c*ck!

~Paul
Title: Nature's Gas Station - 08 July 2005
Post by: Turbo Ninja on July 08, 2005, 07:55:39 pm
Eventually, every word we type will be filtered and/or replaced so that this post, for example, would be totally meaningless (even moreso than it already is):

Restaurant, shoes **** us sing bird is ######## day/la grudge me hats mice oven, guy strong, destroyer is foamy international (scuba corn oily ex murder be).
Title: Nature's Gas Station - 08 July 2005
Post by: CortJstr on July 08, 2005, 08:56:01 pm
Quote from: "Turbo Ninja"
Eventually, every word we type will be filtered and/or replaced so that this post, for example, would be totally meaningless (even moreso than it already is)

I don't know if you've heard of Worth1000 (http://www.worth1000.com/help.asp?help=filter) but their filters are insane. There's like 50 of them. My favorite by far is "first post"
Title: Nature's Gas Station - 08 July 2005
Post by: slink on July 08, 2005, 10:00:58 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Worth1000 (http://www.worth1000.com/help.asp?help=filter) but their filters are insane. There's like 50 of them. My favorite by far is "first post"


That, Bush and Queer.
Could do with First Post filtered on slashdot for sure. At least one meaningless post per article made amusing.
Title: Nature's Gas Station - 08 July 2005
Post by: Doctor C on July 08, 2005, 11:06:51 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
I'd always thought that Mr. Gary lead their group but his conspicuous absence makes me wonder if he's more of a Brad Goodman (http://www.snpp.com/episodes/1F05.html)-type who writes books and hosts seminars and whatnot.

No, I think it's safe to say that Arthur and Mr. Gary know each other pretty well (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=12032004)
Title: Nature's Gas Station - 08 July 2005
Post by: miles on July 09, 2005, 12:13:51 am
Quote from: "andalucia"
I hate anything involving Aaaaarthur.  He kills funny so fast.


That is exactly what bothered me about it, though I couldn't put my finger on it till now.  I mean, Pat and Nice Pete should make for a great strip, and panels 9 and 10 are perfect, but more often than not, Arthur is obnoxious, and not in a funny kind of way.

Also, the ending is a bit flat.  Ooooh, Pat slammed the door.  Big fuck*ng deal.

I too noticed the "DARE DARE DARE" and its similarity to "take take take."  But who would repeat "DARE" just for emphasis?  It just doesn't sound right.

But well worth it, if only for panels 9 and 10 and Pat's complete dickheadedness.  MAN he is such a dick.
Title: Nature's Gas Station - 08 July 2005
Post by: MattFish on July 09, 2005, 04:36:13 am
Quote from: "miles"
That is exactly what bothered me about it, though I couldn't put my finger on it till now.  I mean, Pat and Nice Pete should make for a great strip, and panels 9 and 10 are perfect, but more often than not, Arthur is obnoxious, and not in a funny kind of way.

Also, the ending is a bit flat.  Ooooh, Pat slammed the door.  Big fuck*ng deal.


Arthur is kind of funny just because he repeats totally ridiculous anger-management metaphors with the utmost sincerity. I mean, how in the hell is crying like a gas station?

So the alt-text joke is the fact that Nice Pete is "crazy" is not a self-evident thing, and he's been "outed" in a graceless way by Pat the same as Arthur was when the pole-smoking came to light?
Title: Nature's Gas Station - 08 July 2005
Post by: Choop on July 09, 2005, 05:10:12 am
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "Turbo Ninja"
Eventually, every word we type will be filtered and/or replaced so that this post, for example, would be totally meaningless (even moreso than it already is)

I don't know if you've heard of Worth1000 (http://www.worth1000.com/help.asp?help=filter) but their filters are insane. There's like 50 of them. My favorite by far is "first post"


I really want to sign up there and make a post consisting only of filtered phrases, that is coherent both filtered and unfiltered.
Title: Nature's Gas Station - 08 July 2005
Post by: beanmom on July 10, 2005, 02:50:52 pm
Quote from: "miles"
I too noticed the "DARE DARE DARE" and its similarity to "take take take."  But who would repeat "DARE" just for emphasis?  It just doesn't sound right.


I think if you read it with all 3 "dare"s on the same level of volume/emphasis, like "how dare-dare-dare you!" it sounds unnatural.  But if you read it as Pat choking on his own anger (as Pat so often does), to the point that he can't even continue the sentence and just hits the word over and over, harder each time, perhaps with a small strangled pause between each one, then it makes sense.   :woo:

Or maybe that's just me.
Title: Nature's Gas Station - 08 July 2005
Post by: beanmom on July 10, 2005, 03:03:08 pm
Quote from: "Mattgiraffe"
Arthur is kind of funny just because he repeats totally ridiculous anger-management metaphors with the utmost sincerity. I mean, how in the hell is crying like a gas station?


Ooooobviously because it refilllllls and refressshhhes you like a gentle spring raaaaaiiiin!  Duh!