The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: Bozack on July 09, 2005, 07:03:26 am

Title: I Love Technology
Post by: Bozack on July 09, 2005, 07:03:26 am
Because it does cool stuff like this.
"Wedding Crashers" is some Owen Wilson/Vince Vaughn buddy flick, where two wild and feckless guys learn stuff about themselves and women and bullshit. Also, Christopher Walken is in it.
But this post is not about that.
This post is about the stupid web-toy that someone coded up for this (most likely) utterly forgettable film.
BEHOLD! (http://www.weddingcrashersmovie.com/crashthistrailer/)
You go to this site, upload a picture of yourself and a friend, and they superimpose your face over that of Vince Vaughn, Owen Wilson, Christopher Walken, or the two female characters, who I have already forgotten about.
This (http://www.weddingcrashersmovie.com/crashthistrailer/index.htm?id=19877) is one I did with pictures of myself and a friend, and this (http://www.weddingcrashersmovie.com/crashthistrailer/index.htm?id=19911) is one I made with myself and my brother, the creepiest man alive. Go ahead. Try to watch without shivering. And if you get bored of that, you can just nudge up the numbers in the URL to view the lost man-hours of millions of others.
I at least expect to see one of Paul and The Boy up here tomorrow.
Title: I Love Technology
Post by: andalucia on July 09, 2005, 12:04:37 pm
Yeah, I can't believe how great this is as viral advertising.  There is no way I would otherwise have watched this trailer about 10 times.  
There is one posted on Metafilter where Owen Wilson and Other Guy are replaced by Alf and a Stormtrooper.  Alf in the "first time" sequence... supremely creepy.

I tried real hard, in both Firefox and Explorer, to make one of these with me as the dumb girl, but it didn't generate the unique URL.  Alas.
Title: I Love Technology
Post by: St_Zartan on July 09, 2005, 03:28:20 pm
That is so fuck*ng odd, and yes, "supremely creepy" pretty much nails it. I think what got to me was the way the heads constantly seemed to be drifting around, like a small, unattended balloon in front of an A/C vent in mid-autumn. It reminded me a little of the way Saddam Hussein was animated on South Park, and of Clutch Cargo (http://www.toontracker.com/clutchcargo/cargo.htm) - if they had gone the Clutch Cargo route, we could probably power NYC for a year on the terrified screams.

The potential for abuse of this toy, though, is breathtaking in scope.
Title: I Love Technology
Post by: pmcd9 on July 09, 2005, 05:11:31 pm
When it gets to the upload picture stage there is no browse button.  What did you do at this point?  I've never uploaded a picture that they didn't offer me a browse button so I could go find it.

~Paul
Title: I Love Technology
Post by: pmcd9 on July 09, 2005, 05:45:38 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"
When it gets to the upload picture stage there is no browse button.  What did you do at this point?  I've never uploaded a picture that they didn't offer me a browse button so I could go find it.

~Paul


Ok, I figured it out.

Now, as expected..... Paul and the Boy starring in Wedding Crashers (http://www.weddingcrashersmovie.com/crashthistrailer/index.htm?id=20808)

~Paul
Title: I Love Technology
Post by: jough on July 09, 2005, 06:37:42 pm
Okay, I have two:

The Many Faces of El Guapo (http://www.weddingcrashersmovie.com/crashthistrailer/index.htm?id=20924)

Masturbating Kitten Monster & Quizno's Sponge Monkey (http://www.weddingcrashersmovie.com/crashthistrailer/index.htm?id=20939)
Title: I Love Technology
Post by: CortJstr on July 09, 2005, 07:01:01 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Masturbating Kitten Monster & Quizno's Sponge Monkey (http://www.weddingcrashersmovie.com/crashthistrailer/index.htm?id=20939)

They're called Domokun (http://images.google.com/images?q=domokun&hl=en&hs=sAz&lr=&c2coff=1&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&sa=N&tab=ii&oi=imagest).
Title: I Love Technology
Post by: andalucia on July 09, 2005, 09:37:24 pm
The part where Paul makes the balloon bike is... sublime.
Title: I Love Technology
Post by: arkabee on July 10, 2005, 03:00:15 pm
paul and the boy's is amazing.

did you just pick the first pics you came across, or did you have to spend a bajillion hours culling through photos to find the perfect headshots?

the smiles, they are, how you say, insane to behold inm their perfectness?
Title: I Love Technology
Post by: sjlimmer on July 10, 2005, 08:48:11 pm
This has got to be more entertaining than the film itself can ever aspire to be.

That said, it won't make me see the movie, so I'm not sure how successful an ad campaign it is.  But I probably will keep watching these damn trailers....

I'll have to look for some good shots to add.