The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: jough on July 11, 2005, 05:00:54 pm

Title: 2005 Cartoonist's Choice Awards Winners Announced
Post by: jough on July 11, 2005, 05:00:54 pm
You can see the results here:

http://www.ccawards.com/2005.htm

Alas, Achewood did not win in its category, but TOUAMB's own Ryan North did for his Dinosaur Comics!

Congratulations, Ryan.
Title: 2005 Cartoonist's Choice Awards Winners Announced
Post by: V-Adore on July 11, 2005, 07:34:11 pm
I am deeply, deeply saddened by the idea that VG Cats beat A Lesson Is Learned But the Damage is Irreversible at anything, even if it's as chintzy an award as "Outstanding Use of Color." I mean, for the love of God.

(The stupid-ass Bleedman doujin winning character design is also disgraceful, but honestly, VG Cats?)

NOT AN EDIT BECAUSE I WAS STILL TYPING THE POST WHILE READING THIS: Oh sweet JESUS people. VG Cats over Penny Arcade for Best Videogame? The Bleedman abortion over The Front? WHAT THE CRAP IS WRONG WITH THE VOTERS. What the fuck.
Title: 2005 Cartoonist's Choice Awards Winners Announced
Post by: andalucia on July 11, 2005, 08:24:30 pm
Man, nothing should beat A Lesson is Learned Etc.  at anything, because it is awesome, and I'm saddened that it only won a fairly silly award.

Also I am kind of embarrassed that I read The Top Romantic Webcomic every day.  I really don't want to, it just happens.  Daily.
Title: 2005 Cartoonist's Choice Awards Winners Announced
Post by: V-Adore on July 11, 2005, 08:37:19 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
Also I am kind of embarrassed that I read The Top Romantic Webcomic every day.  I really don't want to, it just happens.  Daily.

QC is good, is the thing. It's vaguely reminiscent of DS and Scary-Go-Round, but it has a bit more meat to it, and you can tell that the writer obviously has a certain amount of respect for his characters. Also it gets props for having a set of "indie" characters who genuinely enjoy indie rock. That's surprisingly refreshing.
Title: Re: 2005 Cartoonist's Choice Awards Winners Announced
Post by: robot_roll_call on July 11, 2005, 09:18:16 pm
Quote from: "jough"
You can see the results here:

http://www.ccawards.com/2005.htm

Alas, Achewood did not win in its category, but TOUAMB's own Ryan North did for his Dinosaur Comics!

Congratulations, Ryan.


Ryan North posts here?! I had no idea. Dinosaur Comics is one of the very very few webcomics I hold in the same esteem as Achewood.

Webcomics are a lot like anime to me: There are 5 or so good ones and the rest are total crap and overrated by their community for no good reason at all. Maybe I make this connection because all the crappy webcomics tend to look like anime. I don't know.
Title: Re: 2005 Cartoonist's Choice Awards Winners Announced
Post by: jough on July 11, 2005, 09:36:13 pm
Quote from: "*****_roll_call"

Ryan North posts here?! I had no idea. Dinosaur Comics is one of the very very few webcomics I hold in the same esteem as Achewood.


Yeah, I hadn't quite absorbed that one yet, but he was posting here (http://achewood.plagiarist.com/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=99) a bit when he first started DC, so we congratulate him for being recognised by his peers.
Title: Re: 2005 Cartoonist's Choice Awards Winners Announced
Post by: St_Zartan on July 11, 2005, 09:36:41 pm
Quote from: "*****_roll_call"
Ryan North posts here?! I had no idea.


Yeah, I don't know how you'd have missed him. (http://achewood.plagiarist.com/search.php?search_author=Ryan)

I think Jough was using "x's own" in the same sense that small-town newspapers use the phrase in re: some famous dude who spent six weeks there, in a rented room, as an infant.
Title: 2005 Cartoonist's Choice Awards Winners Announced
Post by: St_Zartan on July 11, 2005, 09:37:07 pm
Jinx.