The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: MattFish on July 12, 2005, 06:42:40 am

Title: I have weird ideas about what it means to be a man 12 Jul 05
Post by: MattFish on July 12, 2005, 06:42:40 am
Last time I did a relatively empty first-post I got chastised, and I wasn't even as disgustingly brief and contentless as you were just now.

As for the comic, this speaks to me personally. I've always loved falling off letters ANYWHERE, be them shorted-out storefront lettering, roadside billboards (TACO BELL NEW CR______AP SUPREME, INDOOR HEATED POO_) and cars, like in the strip (__ICK).
Title: I have weird ideas about what it means to be a man 12 Jul 05
Post by: R-Machine on July 12, 2005, 06:45:45 am
Ever wonder why anytime those two go anywhere Roast Beef is always the one that drives? He has a pretty confident driving style for a dude who's afraid of creeks.
Title: I have weird ideas about what it means to be a man 12 Jul 05
Post by: cellardoor on July 12, 2005, 07:28:29 am
Beef just totally loves that car I think. Driving it may be similar to a blankie or something.

I like signs that say TO LET. I sometimes imagine that I could live a fairly complete and happy life just by travelling about adding an I to these signs.
I like this strip because we get to see Beef forming a thought.
That's quite rare.
Title: I have weird ideas about what it means to be a man 12 Jul 05
Post by: Suckin_Dick on July 12, 2005, 07:40:10 am
i don't get what's so weird about making it perfectly clear that your manhood is engorged and throbbing by truncating two t's and an a from the name of a japanese auto manufacturer.

seriously.
Title: I have weird ideas about what it means to be a man 12 Jul 05
Post by: tcc on July 12, 2005, 10:27:08 am
I though this one was kinda like yesterday's - nothing special but not trying to be either, so alright in the end.  I guess they both just flesh out the characters a little more which can't be bad.

I don't live in the states but I dont think I've ever seen anyone mess with the letters on their toyota over here in Aus...maybe I'm just not very observant.
Title: I have weird ideas about what it means to be a man 12 Jul 05
Post by: St_Zartan on July 12, 2005, 12:11:07 pm
Quote from: "Mattgiraffe"
Last time I did a relatively empty first-post I got chastised, and I wasn't even as disgustingly brief and contentless as you were just now.


I'm pretty much convinced that he only posts so that people will see his sig and maybe go and look at his Crunchy Comics.

Quote from: "Suckin_Dick"
i don't get what's so weird about making it perfectly clear that your manhood is engorged and throbbing by truncating two t's and an a from the name of a japanese auto manufacturer.


Is OYO Secret American Slang for boner?

Anyway, I really liked this strip.
Title: I have weird ideas about what it means to be a man 12 Jul 05
Post by: pmcd9 on July 12, 2005, 12:23:23 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Is OYO Secret American Slang for boner?

I think the OYO is meant to suggest male genitalia.  Or perhaps the Y is male genitalia and the two o's represent buttocks.  I don't know, i'm just supposing.

Isn't it fun to say genitalia?

~Paul
Title: I have weird ideas about what it means to be a man 12 Jul 05
Post by: St_Zartan on July 12, 2005, 12:45:24 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Isn't it fun to say genitalia?


The word genitalia sounds like cold, congealed shrimp scampi looks.
Title: I have weird ideas about what it means to be a man 12 Jul 05
Post by: CortJstr on July 12, 2005, 12:48:41 pm
One's that they turned into "TOY" made sense to me but never "OYO" although it does look sort of vaguely almost like the ASCII for breasts if you squint and are so desperate as to be turned on by the Land O' Lakes lady (.Y.)
Title: I have weird ideas about what it means to be a man 12 Jul 05
Post by: Gimpson on July 12, 2005, 01:53:25 pm
I drive a '96 Toyota Camry, and that year they apparently used some substandard adhesive to affix the badging on the back.  I am currently driving a CA RY, and the M is in my glove box.  At one point I was driving a CA R, but I reattached the M and Y.  The M has since come off again.

Whenever I see another '96 Camry it's missing at least one of the letters.
Title: I have weird ideas about what it means to be a man 12 Jul 05
Post by: V-Adore on July 12, 2005, 02:23:37 pm
You know, I've always wondered about that too. What the heck does OYO mean? The Toyota font doesn't really lend itself to ASCII boobage, but I guess that doesn't stop people. Or maybe it's a secret code of some sort.

Full props for the CA R, though.
Title: I have weird ideas about what it means to be a man 12 Jul 05
Post by: St_Zartan on July 12, 2005, 02:27:10 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Full props for the CA R, though.


(http://images.amazon.com/images/P/6305511861.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg)
Title: I have weird ideas about what it means to be a man 12 Jul 05
Post by: sjlimmer on July 12, 2005, 02:29:33 pm
I liked it, but then insights into Beef's psyche are always welcome.  The OYO is something I haven't seen in a while, but could never really understand.  I've never been sure that it was done on purpose (as opposed to, say, TOY).


Quote from: "Mattgiraffe"
As for the comic, this speaks to me personally. I've always loved falling off letters ANYWHERE, be them shorted-out storefront lettering, roadside billboards (TACO BELL NEW CR______AP SUPREME, INDOOR HEATED POO_) and cars, like in the strip (__ICK).


I dated a girl who drove a __ICK.  Someone stole it (not for its value, but because it was, apparently, easy to hotwire), took it for a joyride, crashed it at a red light, and jumped out with the engine still running.  But not before stealing a case of pasta that was in the back seat.
Title: I have weird ideas about what it means to be a man 12 Jul 05
Post by: pmcd9 on July 12, 2005, 02:49:30 pm
In the 80's the signage on Toyota's was commonly altered to read YO.  It kept me from wanting to own a Toyota.  I've since gotten over that and have purchased toyota products.

~Paul
Title: I have weird ideas about what it means to be a man 12 Jul 05
Post by: Doc on July 12, 2005, 02:53:49 pm
sj: Was it some nice fresh pasta or dry stuff?
Because if it was fresh I could see that being Onstad.
Title: I have weird ideas about what it means to be a man 12 Jul 05
Post by: bdeth dot com on July 12, 2005, 03:04:09 pm
Yay
Title: I have weird ideas about what it means to be a man 12 Jul 05
Post by: side_show on July 12, 2005, 03:26:32 pm
As a very young child, I remember discovering with great excitiment that one of my neighbours drove a black Datsun, that he had altered into "Batsun" with Batman decals and everything.  I imagined that Batman drove a truck and lived in my neigbourhood, and remember trying to peer inside the house when trick-or-treating.  At first it was pretty well maintained, but as I grew older, the Batsun began to rust.  I discovered that it belonged to a guy in his late 20's who still lived at home with his parents.  The Batsun continued to rust, and I grew up.  Later, when I hit my teens, the father of the guy who owned the Batsun killed himself in the house in some way that resulted in an explosion and several emergency vehicles arriving on the scene.   I remember gazing at the house where the dad had killed himself and the Batsun sat infront, rusting away.  Disenchantment, defined folks.
Title: I have weird ideas about what it means to be a man 12 Jul 05
Post by: V-Adore on July 12, 2005, 03:46:06 pm
Quote from: "side_show"
I remember gazing at the house where the dad had killed himself and the Batsun sat infront, rusting away.  Disenchantment, defined folks.

The saddest things just keep on coming!
Title: I have weird ideas about what it means to be a man 12 Jul 05
Post by: CortJstr on July 12, 2005, 03:47:56 pm
Well I was going to post a car story but after reading that last post I don't think I have the energy.
Title: I have weird ideas about what it means to be a man 12 Jul 05
Post by: jough on July 12, 2005, 04:03:22 pm
Hey, mods, it is perfectly okay to delete irrelevant posts of any kind, but especially when they are "FIRST POSTS."

I don't get what the excitement about "FIRST POST" is except that the poster gets to name the topic, which V or myself could capriciously rename AT ANY TIME.

Anyway, now Mattgiraffe is in charge of the topic.  Now HE has first post.
Title: I have weird ideas about what it means to be a man 12 Jul 05
Post by: AugustWest on July 12, 2005, 04:37:02 pm
Quote from: "jough"

which V or myself could capriciously rename AT ANY TIME.


Me too, dang it!
Title: I have weird ideas about what it means to be a man 12 Jul 05
Post by: jough on July 12, 2005, 05:00:03 pm
Can mods rename threads?

Okay, okay, so which V-Adore, I, or ANY MOD (including August West) could rename at any time!
Title: I have weird ideas about what it means to be a man 12 Jul 05
Post by: side_show on July 12, 2005, 07:03:11 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Well I was going to post a car story but after reading that last post I don't think I have the energy.


I thought I'd douse us all in a little melancholy - it's an important part of the Achewood feel after all.

(FYI: I am totally sitting at home writing a play where more horrible things happen to the characters I've created than to the entire cast of Hamlet.  And I just spent the whole morning researching what type of medical treatment one would get if incarcerated in a Western Canadian jail, and also learning all about Kaposi's Sarcoma.)

But please, tell us a car story, as long as there's no suicide involved, it can only make things better.
Title: I have weird ideas about what it means to be a man 12 Jul 05
Post by: St_Zartan on July 12, 2005, 07:53:48 pm
Quote from: "Asherdan"
Dammit Smells, these types of postings are the loosest definition of Masturbating in your own Filth (http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?t=1765) I've ever heard.


Next time, try picking the place up a bit before you begin. Eliminate distractions and potential health hazards (needles, plastic bags).

This goes for all of you. Treat your OYO right, fellas.

(http://www.toonarific.com/commercials/onetogrowon.jpg)
Title: I have weird ideas about what it means to be a man 12 Jul 05
Post by: side_show on July 12, 2005, 10:00:28 pm
Oh, but only if you truly understood how your reponses get me off would you know just how true I am being to my promise.

But now I'm off to the grocery store for sour cream.   Don't think such naughty thoughts, my SO is making tacos for dinner!
Title: I have weird ideas about what it means to be a man 12 Jul 05
Post by: Bozack on July 12, 2005, 11:02:54 pm
DON'T TELL THE S.O. WE'RE HERE! WE'LL LEAVE THROUGH THE WINDOW!
Title: I have weird ideas about what it means to be a man 12 Jul 05
Post by: evan on July 12, 2005, 11:44:17 pm
Quote from: "Mattgiraffe"
As for the comic, this speaks to me personally. I've always loved falling off letters ANYWHERE, be them shorted-out storefront lettering, roadside billboards (TACO BELL NEW CR______AP SUPREME, INDOOR HEATED POO_) and cars, like in the strip (__ICK).


PUSH BUTT__
WIPE HANDS UNDER _ARM ___
STOP_ AUTO_AT__ALLY
Title: I have weird ideas about what it means to be a man 12 Jul 05
Post by: JeremyW on July 13, 2005, 01:56:18 am
Quote
I'm pretty much convinced that he only posts so that people will see his sig and maybe go and look at his Crunchy Comics.



Not true.  I'm allowed to have a link in my sig and I already get plenty of visitors to my site thanks.  I come here to discuss Achewood with you uptight people.
Title: I have weird ideas about what it means to be a man 12 Jul 05
Post by: wombat on July 13, 2005, 02:05:58 am
Quote from: "JeremyW"
you uptight people.


And isn't it one of our most endearing characteristics?
Title: I have weird ideas about what it means to be a man 12 Jul 05
Post by: MattFish on July 13, 2005, 02:19:23 am
Quote from: "jough"
Anyway, now Mattgiraffe is in charge of the topic.  Now HE has first post.


Thank you kindly, sir. I need to at least make use of this. I may change the title to "OYO" at some point.

evan, do you spend much time staring at air dryers in public restrooms? no offense meant, your stuff was much funnier than mine. The funniest sign blunder I remember actually personally seeing (which is comparatively lame and wasn't even a falling-off-letter-typo) was "Huge Puppy Sale" on a pet shop billboard.

Anyone seen any _SUZ_es out there on the road lately?
Title: I have weird ideas about what it means to be a man 12 Jul 05
Post by: side_show on July 13, 2005, 03:07:18 am
Quote from: "JeremyW"
with you uptight people.


Dude, I'm going to stop making sexually suggestive comments about sour cream if you keep this up.
Title: I have weird ideas about what it means to be a man 12 Jul 05
Post by: Ben-San on July 13, 2005, 03:35:24 am
The only good one I've seen around here was during Burger King's aggressive promotion of its ALL ANGUS BURGER. Not really worth mentioning but I did anyway.
Title: I have weird ideas about what it means to be a man 12 Jul 05
Post by: miles on July 13, 2005, 03:49:35 am
Quote from: "Ben-San"
The only good one I've seen around here was during Burger King's aggressive promotion of its ALL ANGUS BURGER. Not really worth mentioning but I did anyway.


Well?  How did the sign read?
Title: I have weird ideas about what it means to be a man 12 Jul 05
Post by: St_Zartan on July 13, 2005, 04:07:37 am
Quote from: "miles"
Quote from: "Ben-San"
The only good one I've seen around here was during Burger King's aggressive promotion of its ALL ANGUS BURGER. Not really worth mentioning but I did anyway.


Well?  How did the sign read?


*ahem*

ALL ANUS BURGER

Shame on you for even having to ask. Admittedly, "ALL ANGST BURGER" would have been just as funny, if a little trickier to pull off.

Speaking of the Angus Burger : I recently started dipping into Manhunt? That violent video game that got so much press and I slagged off based entirely on its reviews until I actually played it? And it's really quite soothing to imagine that blowjob who played "Dr. Angus" in the commercials for said burger in place of the stabbee in some of those, er, cut-scenes.
Title: I have weird ideas about what it means to be a man 12 Jul 05
Post by: MattFish on July 13, 2005, 04:22:33 am
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
ALL ANUS BURGER


I had a recent plan of rearranging the sign in front of the local floral nursery/produce stand advertising annuals and perennials into something possibly involving the phrase "anal c*ckes". Sadly, now the sign only involves various misspelled melons, like watemlons and cantalops.
Title: I have weird ideas about what it means to be a man 12 Jul 05
Post by: St_Zartan on July 13, 2005, 04:36:38 am
Quote from: "Mattgiraffe"
I had a recent plan of rearranging the sign in front of the local floral nursery/produce stand advertising annuals and perennials into something possibly involving the phrase "anal c*ckes". Sadly, now the sign only involves various misspelled melons, like watemlons and cantalops.


Dude, when all those bourgeois fuck*ng squares pull into the nursery parking lot and then quickly find out that there are, in fact, no Watemlons or Cantalops for sale, well, that is a far, far better and deeper burn than simply making them read the words "anal c*ckes".
Title: I have weird ideas about what it means to be a man 12 Jul 05
Post by: miles on July 13, 2005, 04:36:58 am
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Shame on you for even having to ask. Admittedly, "ALL ANGST BURGER" would have been just as funny, if a little trickier to pull off.


Really, I was only kidding.
Title: I have weird ideas about what it means to be a man 12 Jul 05
Post by: side_show on July 13, 2005, 04:37:52 am
On my buss ride to university, every day I would pass the same sign for a place that sold windows "QUALITY GLASS AT ROCK BOTTOM PRICES" which was, I swear, every second day changed to "QUALITY ASS," then changed back, and it went on that way for years.  I always wondered, why did the store owners keep this up?  Why not change the sign?
Title: I have weird ideas about what it means to be a man 12 Jul 05
Post by: St_Zartan on July 13, 2005, 04:40:11 am
Quote from: "side_show"
I always wondered, why did the store owners keep this up?  Why not change the sign?


How many synonyms for glass are there?
Title: I have weird ideas about what it means to be a man 12 Jul 05
Post by: miles on July 13, 2005, 04:40:24 am
Quote from: "side_show"
On my buss ride to university, every day I would pass the same sign for a place that sold windows "QUALITY GLASS AT ROCK BOTTOM PRICES" which was, I swear, every second day changed to "QUALITY ASS," then changed back, and it went on that way for years.  I always wondered, why did the store owners keep this up?  Why not change the sign?


Because then they win.
Title: I have weird ideas about what it means to be a man 12 Jul 05
Post by: jough on July 13, 2005, 04:58:15 am
Sexually suggestive comments are useless if the only visual we have to accompany them are of a cat dressed in a suit.

Anyway, yeah, signs are funny.  Whee.
Title: I have weird ideas about what it means to be a man 12 Jul 05
Post by: JeremyW on July 13, 2005, 05:09:43 am
Jough I just brought you all the stuff in your wish list.  No, really.
Title: I have weird ideas about what it means to be a man 12 Jul 05
Post by: AugustWest on July 13, 2005, 05:16:44 am
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Quote from: "Mattgiraffe"
I had a recent plan of rearranging the sign in front of the local floral nursery/produce stand advertising annuals and perennials into something possibly involving the phrase "anal c*ckes". Sadly, now the sign only involves various misspelled melons, like watemlons and cantalops.


Dude, when all those bourgeois fuck*ng squares pull into the nursery parking lot and then quickly find out that there are, in fact, no Watemlons or Cantalops for sale, well, that is a far, far better and deeper burn than simply making them read the words "anal c*ckes".


Dude, growing beautiful and/or delicious things out of the soil with your own hands is neither SQUARE nor BOURGOUIS![/b]

fuck*ng city boy.
Title: I have weird ideas about what it means to be a man 12 Jul 05
Post by: St_Zartan on July 13, 2005, 05:37:15 am
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Quote from: "Mattgiraffe"
I had a recent plan of rearranging the sign in front of the local floral nursery/produce stand advertising annuals and perennials into something possibly involving the phrase "anal c*ckes". Sadly, now the sign only involves various misspelled melons, like watemlons and cantalops.


Dude, when all those bourgeois fuck*ng squares pull into the nursery parking lot and then quickly find out that there are, in fact, no Watemlons or Cantalops for sale, well, that is a far, far better and deeper burn than simply making them read the words "anal c*ckes".


Dude, growing beautiful and/or delicious things out of the soil with your own hands is neither SQUARE nor BOURGOUIS![/b]


Dude, these people ain't growing shit with shit. These people are trying to eliminate the middleman by buying relatively down-to-earth produce from Real Live Green Thumbs; they want to wear the fanciest of pa[size=0] [/size]nts without readily point-outable pretense.

Bah. Is both SQUARE and BORUGEOSISIE[/b].
Title: I have weird ideas about what it means to be a man 12 Jul 05
Post by: side_show on July 13, 2005, 07:43:04 am
Quote from: "jough"
Sexually suggestive comments are useless if the only visual we have to accompany them are of a cat dressed in a suit.


Useless to you maybe.
Title: I have weird ideas about what it means to be a man 12 Jul 05
Post by: pmcd9 on July 13, 2005, 12:00:19 pm
I'm pretty sure if it's a floral shop it's selling plants not fresh produce.  But I don't understand what you're getting at Zart.  Is seeking out the locally grown, superior quality, and often less expensive alternative to the factory grown produce you find at the supermarket wrong?  Bourgouis, square, what does this mean?  I just want to have tasty food to eat.

~Paul
Title: I have weird ideas about what it means to be a man 12 Jul 05
Post by: St_Zartan on July 13, 2005, 12:31:44 pm
Dear Paul:

I was joking.

Your friend,

Zartan.
Title: I have weird ideas about what it means to be a man 12 Jul 05
Post by: CortJstr on July 13, 2005, 12:53:10 pm
Quote from: "side_show"
Quote from: "JeremyW"
with you uptight people.

Dude, I'm going to stop making sexually suggestive comments about sour cream if you keep this up.

Dammit people, you all glossed right over the most important post in this entire thread. I need material for my sour cream fetish dammit!
Title: I have weird ideas about what it means to be a man 12 Jul 05
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on July 13, 2005, 01:11:44 pm
Quote from: "JeremyW"
Jough I just brought you all the stuff in your wish list.  No, really.


My wish list is video footage of him eating an ALL ANUS BURGER.
Title: I have weird ideas about what it means to be a man 12 Jul 05
Post by: AugustWest on July 13, 2005, 01:29:04 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"
I just want to have tasty food to eat.


Me too.  I guess when it comes to having tasty food to eat, it's hip to be square...and bourgouise.
Title: I have weird ideas about what it means to be a man 12 Jul 05
Post by: arkabee on July 13, 2005, 01:44:11 pm
yes, but he wasn't saying that everyone going to a nursery/and/or/ buying local produce was a square bourgher, he was saying that the square bourghers who happen to that said place will be dissapointed that there are no misspelt melons for sale.

that being said i feel a moment of enjoyment when i look/read a sign that might be rearranged into a different word or words and i think of an alternate.
Title: I have weird ideas about what it means to be a man 12 Jul 05
Post by: MattFish on July 13, 2005, 10:38:46 pm
Quote from: "arkabee"
yes, but he wasn't saying that everyone going to a nursery/and/or/ buying local produce was a square bourgher, he was saying that the square bourghers who happen to that said place will be dissapointed that there are no misspelt melons for sale.

that being said i feel a moment of enjoyment when i look/read a sign that might be rearranged into a different word or words and i think of an alternate.


The fact that this thread lives on is proof that we all have similar tendencies.