The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: arkabee on July 13, 2005, 01:40:37 am

Title: what a day/week/month/year
Post by: arkabee on July 13, 2005, 01:40:37 am
what a shitty day.
Title: what a day/week/month/year
Post by: V-Adore on July 13, 2005, 03:48:19 am
No disagreement here. I spent the day doing one of the shittiest tasks in science -- massaging the data. In this case, I was attempting to make the data look like my rats were demonstrating a well-known rat behavior which they should have been doing and yet apparently were not, such that I can undertake a real experiment based on that behavior. Somehow this is less rewarding and more tiring than cleaning cages. Sigh.
Title: what a day/week/month/year
Post by: side_show on July 13, 2005, 04:27:20 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I was attempting to make the data look like my rats were demonstrating a well-known rat behavior which they should have been doing.


Eating cheese?

Providing comic relief through humourous antics with the household cat?

Also, what's up arkabee?  Who pissed on your cornflakes?
Title: what a day/week/month/year
Post by: Bozack on July 13, 2005, 06:27:47 am
Quote from: "side_show"
Who pissed on your cornflakes?


Me (I did.)
Title: what a day/week/month/year
Post by: side_show on July 13, 2005, 07:46:13 am
See, I read arkabee's post and I was all, "Yay, my day's not that bad!"  Then my SO and I had an arguement about cat puke, and how to properly clean it up, (blot not scrub!)  and I ended up feeling pretty depressed myself.
Title: what a day/week/month/year
Post by: AlohaDawg on July 13, 2005, 08:07:24 am
Smells: Get this book (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1881273156/qid=1120448674/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/002-9475002-3411252?v=glance&s=books&n=507846), it will change both of your lives.
Title: what a day/week/month/year
Post by: pmcd9 on July 13, 2005, 12:21:36 pm
Man smells don't need that touchy feely crap, she just needs to clean up the cat puke properly.

~Paul
Title: what a day/week/month/year
Post by: andalucia on July 13, 2005, 12:45:01 pm
I agree with this.  Yesterday I went out for a walk with the intention of becoming happier, walked for an hour and a half, got sick of walking, then spent two hours trying to find my way home as a part of town I'd never seen, though I explore frequently, got dark.  But I made it home and had some chocolate milk so I guess it turned out OK.
Title: what a day/week/month/year
Post by: V-Adore on July 13, 2005, 01:01:15 pm
Quote from: "side_show"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I was attempting to make the data look like my rats were demonstrating a well-known rat behavior which they should have been doing.


Eating cheese?

Providing comic relief through humourous antics with the household cat?

Amphetamine sensitization, sadly enough. And I'm just not sure it's there, which is bad, because it's the focus of the rest of my research. So, yes, yesterday was not good. Maybe today will let me massage the data in such a way that its precious secrets come to light.
Title: what a day/week/month/year
Post by: arkabee on July 13, 2005, 01:57:35 pm
paul, aloha, smells:
that book is really good regardless and irrespective of cat puke.
possibly non sequitor in relation to cat puke, and/or anything else, but an excellent book none the less as it helped me to understand that other people think irrevocably differently than i do and helped to understand their thought process and possible reactions and etc.

i have no idea how to clean up cat puke the correct way, but the only way i know to correctly answer an argument about how i am suppose to clean cat puke up is: "ok, you are right, i will stop cleaning the cat puke up the wrong way and allow you to do it correctly"; this is clear indication that i need to reread the good aloha dog's recommended book again and again and again and again.

the best way, in the very short sense because in the long sense you should get over it and make life better, to not have a shitty day is to compare your shitty day to someone else's shittier day.

bozack, i do not eat breakfast, nor cereal, nor especially cornflakes.  um, so, i have no idea whose flakes those are but your might want to be careful it wasn't that big burly fellow with the rage management issues.

andalucia: that was a staggeringly "on the fence" kind of day, in my opinion; depending upon how you wanted to perceive a day like that it could both/either have been great or awful.  kudos to you for choosing chocolate milk.

v-adore: you are monitoring the habits of science rodents as they live in and operate a meth lab?
Title: what a day/week/month/year
Post by: side_show on July 13, 2005, 02:47:07 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Man smells don't need that touchy feely crap, she just needs to clean up the cat puke properly.

~Paul


the SO:  Thank you for cleaning up the puke
me: (leaving the room in anger) Thank you for yelling at me.
the SO: What!? I wasn't yelling at you!
me: (confused as I am the only other person in the house) I think you were.  
the SO: I'm sorry.
me: Just leave me alone.
the SO: I'm sorry, I wasn't yelling at you, I was angry because he puked yesterday too.
me: (silent)

What the arguement was really about:  We are both stressed because we know our brand new house will not stay pristine forever, and that any flaws are totally our fault and can not be blamed on previous tennants, since there are none.

Anyway, we made up last night when he brought me a frosty bottle of water.

Also, V-Adore are you saying you are getting mice hooked on drugs in the name of Science?
Title: what a day/week/month/year
Post by: St_Zartan on July 13, 2005, 02:57:07 pm
Quote from: "side_show"
Also, V-Adore are you saying you are getting mice hooked on drugs in the name of Science?


I Tortured A Bunch Of Living Things To Death And All I Got Was This Lousy Confirmation That Amphetamines Are Really Unhealthy For You
Title: what a day/week/month/year
Post by: pmcd9 on July 13, 2005, 03:10:04 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Quote from: "side_show"
Also, V-Adore are you saying you are getting mice hooked on drugs in the name of Science?


I Tortured A Bunch Of Living Things To Death And All I Got Was This Lousy Confirmation That Amphetamines Are Really Unhealthy For You

Are you saying that you regret totruring living things to death or that you are just disapointed that all you got for it was a t-shirt?

~Paul
Title: what a day/week/month/year
Post by: side_show on July 13, 2005, 03:16:00 pm
Arkabee,

You backed into a car and did the exact same damage to your car that you had previously repaired.

Your SO has broken up with you.

And all the rest.

All that I can tell you, having been through it before, is that it is now the ripe time to be productive.  You know that thing you've been putting off:  writing a novel, learning to make wine, putting together that scale-model of Godzilla, calling that friend who you lost touch with?  Now's the time.  I envy you because you're on the verge of the next big thing.  Go to it.
Title: what a day/week/month/year
Post by: V-Adore on July 13, 2005, 03:26:58 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Quote from: "side_show"
Also, V-Adore are you saying you are getting mice hooked on drugs in the name of Science?


I Tortured A Bunch Of Living Things To Death And All I Got Was This Lousy Confirmation That Amphetamines Are Really Unhealthy For You

There isn't torture involved, but, uh, basically. It's very important basic research in our knowledge of hormones and their interactions with chemical and natural stressors and blah blah blah I inject rats with amphetamines and see what happens under varying conditions. And I like my job. So there.
Title: what a day/week/month/year
Post by: arkabee on July 13, 2005, 04:47:51 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Quote from: "side_show"
Also, V-Adore are you saying you are getting mice hooked on drugs in the name of Science?


I Tortured A Bunch Of Living Things To Death And All I Got Was This Lousy Confirmation That Amphetamines Are Really Unhealthy For You

Are you saying that you regret totruring living things to death or that you are just disapointed that all you got for it was a t-shirt?

~Paul


you know that The Tick episode wherein The Tick constantly/consistently mispronounces the Enemy's name and then the enemy says:

"hey now, you are doing it on purpose!?!"

Paul, you are awesome.  St Zartan's persona never struck me as being able to play off of a "foil" before, but you have proven my assumption incorrect.

*applause*
Title: what a day/week/month/year
Post by: pmcd9 on July 13, 2005, 04:51:45 pm
Wow, and to think I was just trying to save a little face after the two thickheaded misinterpretations of Zarts earlier posts.

~Paul
Title: what a day/week/month/year
Post by: jough on July 13, 2005, 05:00:04 pm
Quote from: "side_show"
my SO and I had an arguement about cat puke, and how to properly clean it up, (blot not scrub!)  and I ended up feeling pretty depressed myself.


What do you call Smells with two black eyes?

Nothing.  Her SO already told her twice.
Title: what a day/week/month/year
Post by: Gimpson on July 13, 2005, 05:07:52 pm
Though I'm late to the party, I have to say that my last two days have been somewhat poor as well.  I took our puppy for a walk the morning of the 11th and came back to a weird hissing sound coming from my A/C unit.  The outside blower wasn't running, so I shut it down and said I'd look at it that night.  I priced the motor I thought was burned out at around $100 and was prepared to take the unit apart and do the repairs myself.

That evening when I got home I turned the A/C back on and the motor worked fine for a while, then quit again.  Since it was working intermittently I thought I had ruled out the motor as a problem, so I called in the professionals.  They arrived this morning and the problem was in fact that motor.  Since the professionals were called in, I ended up paying $369 for the repair instead of the ~$100 it would have cost to do it myself.  

I hate being a sucker.
Title: what a day/week/month/year
Post by: arkabee on July 13, 2005, 05:09:26 pm
Quote from: "side_show"

the SO:  Thank you for cleaning up the puke
me: (leaving the room in anger) Thank you for yelling at me.
the SO: What!? I wasn't yelling at you!
me: (confused as I am the only other person in the house) I think you were.  
the SO: I'm sorry.
me: Just leave me alone.
the SO: I'm sorry, I wasn't yelling at you, I was angry because he puked yesterday too.
me: (silent)

What the arguement was really about:  We are both stressed because we know our brand new house will not stay pristine forever, and that any flaws are totally our fault and can not be blamed on previous tennants, since there are none.

Anyway, we made up last night when he brought me a frosty bottle of water.


ugh.  i am in a point wherein i will probably gve bad relationship advice, but i am trying to avoid that.

that being said sometimes i raise my voice because i am frustrated and not angry and it seems though i am yelling though to me i am not.

regardless, i have not had a new house, but i have had other new things, and i have felt the dread of "i want to keep this new forever" as positioned against "i realize this is going to get messed up eventually", and as applied towards such a big thing as a house i can only assume it is mathmatically far greater.  

that is, indeed, the suck.  i also offer my worries inre your cat, and cat vagrants outside situation.  a puking kitty, regardless, is no fun on many levels.  i'm particularly fond of cats.


Quote from: "side_show"

All that I can tell you, having been through it before, is that it is now the ripe time to be productive. You know that thing you've been putting off: writing a novel, learning to make wine, putting together that scale-model of Godzilla, calling that friend who you lost touch with? Now's the time. I envy you because you're on the verge of the next big thing. Go to it.


holy shit, truer words may not have ever been spoken.  nervous energy alone is astronomical.

i backed into the trailer because i was leaving the office with spreadsheet numbers dancing in my head and my feet and hands followed established patterns of "how to back up out off normal parking space" while mind spun at peak torque-curve rpm's in regards to an issue that had needed minding for quite some time.

the awkward thing is that for a possibly unique scenario wherein at the time of "crisis" and accelerated output, it is possible (whereas previously not) to direct that accelerated output towards actual issues from where the "crisis" derived.

Quote from: "asherdan"

Do what you can find constructive for yourself and try to avoid self inflicted damage and there'll be a light at the end of the current tunnel.


shit.  the problem with my "having a shitty day" theory, is that in practice you will end up comparing your shitty day to someone who's day goes beyond shitty, and you will realize what an ass you are to have put those people into a position to look upon your "shitty day" and say to themselves "wtf? shitty day? ha!".

the only possible positive in this case, would be for them to look upon my weak "shitty day" and chuckle at its comparative unimportance.

i certainly hope the worst i had enacted was a chuckle at it's unimportance, for i dread the idea of offence, and more importantly fear to look at a objective comparison from an inability to comprehend how awful the other side is.

that being said, i stress that i do appreciate a clap on the back from you and your perspective.

and reiterate a "truer words may have not been spoken" in regards to your advice to avoid self inflicted damage.


it's not raining today, so that's certainly helpful.  i retaped the hole on the edge of the hatchback, and thinkt he tape may "bond a bit" in the heat, so that's possibly a "good" thing.


and to relate a further possible "chuckle":

i am a "computer guy", i fix things "professionally".
i am not in habit of actually "using" things that i tend to
fix very often.

for instance, if every time you open uo Microsoft Excel, your fire alarm in the building goes off, i bet i can resolve that for you.

however, yesterday morning, prior to puncturing the car, i was delighted to both multiply a cell in a spreadsheet with, gasp, another cell in said spreadsheet, AND (in that Very Same Spreadsheet) DIVIDE one of the cells, by, i'm serious here, a Different Cell Altogether!!

And THEN i recreated that ENTIRE COLUMN and DUPLICATED the FUNCTION of that column,
but (and this is amazing)
With TOTALLY DIFFERENT SET OF DATA!!!

i was "amazed" at how amazing computers actually are.
Title: what a day/week/month/year
Post by: arkabee on July 13, 2005, 05:11:10 pm
Quote from: "Gimpson"

I hate being a sucker.


ugh, indeed.  h/vac especially is hard for me, because, well, how do you go out and get freon and etc.
Title: what a day/week/month/year
Post by: CortJstr on July 13, 2005, 05:14:00 pm
Quote from: "arkabee"
you know that The Tick episode wherein The Tick constantly/consistently mispronounces the Enemy's name and then the enemy says:

"hey now, you are doing it on purpose!?!"

god bless Google. I knew it was Thrakazog but couldn't spell it. Later he uses the extremely clever alias of Gozakarht.

The Tick: I've had enough chasing; it's your turn now, forest-smog!
Thrakazog: Thrakazog! Thrakazog! With a 'K'! Boy, are you ever rude.
The Tick: No brains today; we're only serving humble-pie, Whatchamazog!
Thrakazog: Listen buddy, for the last time it's...
The Tick: Four ax in a bog?
Thrakazog: Thrakkorzog!
The Tick: Ah, laxitive-log!
Thrakazog: No no no!
The Tick: Lap lands a zog?
Thrakazog: No!
The Tick: Two laplanders and a dog?
Thrakazog: Thrak!
The Tick: Sapsuckafrog!
Thrakazog: No no no!
The Tick: ...Susan?
Thrakazog: Oh, now you're doing it on purpose; how juvenile!
Title: what a day/week/month/year
Post by: V-Adore on July 13, 2005, 05:21:04 pm
That, good sir, is CortJstr'ing above and beyond the call of duty. I salute you.
Title: what a day/week/month/year
Post by: St_Zartan on July 13, 2005, 08:30:21 pm
Wow.

I've never had a honest-to-God foil before. (WE'RE TAKING THIS SHOW ON THE ROAD)

And I actually have an Evil Tongue Thrakkorzog (http://www.newenglandcomics.com/shop/images/thrakauto.jpg) mint in the package at home.

So hey! my stance on animal experimentation led to something tangentially awesome after all, even if NO LESSON WAS LEARNED.
Title: what a day/week/month/year
Post by: AugustWest on July 13, 2005, 08:47:22 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Wow.

I've never had a honest-to-God foil before. (WE'RE TAKING THIS SHOW ON THE ROAD)


How about an epee?  Or a sabre?
Title: what a day/week/month/year
Post by: CortJstr on July 13, 2005, 09:00:52 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Wow.

I've never had a honest-to-God foil before. (WE'RE TAKING THIS SHOW ON THE ROAD)

And I actually have an Evil Tongue Thrakkorzog (http://www.newenglandcomics.com/shop/images/thrakauto.jpg) mint in the package at home.

So hey! my stance on animal experimentation led to something tangentially awesome after all, even if NO LESSON WAS LEARNED.

Dammit, I Googled and still got the spelling wrong. I knew I should've waited until I got home and had access to my Circus of the Mighty.

::hides in shame::
Title: what a day/week/month/year
Post by: St_Zartan on July 13, 2005, 09:04:43 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Wow.

I've never had a honest-to-God foil before. (WE'RE TAKING THIS SHOW ON THE ROAD)


How about an epee?  Or a sabre?


Har har. Actually, I told a lie - I used to fence, so technically I have had a foil. An ex-girlfriend has it now.

I can't imagine, however, that any of my ex-girlfriends will take Paul off my hands.
Title: what a day/week/month/year
Post by: Bozack on July 14, 2005, 06:01:56 am
I know what happens when you inject rats with amphetamines, or methamphetamines, at least. They dance the night away in some of London's hottest nightspots.

I originally wrote about 4 pages about why this was possibly the worst day of my life, but it was just fuck*ng dumb. I just needed to get it out somewhere. Now I'm seriously thinking of taking a car and driving away to Rhode Island or something, just to get away from all of this shit.
I hope tomorrow is better for all of us, and I'll tell you all if I fall asleep tomorrow somewhere else.
Title: what a day/week/month/year
Post by: AlohaDawg on July 14, 2005, 07:44:47 am
You stay in Hawaii at my house free for one week. Tell me when you're coming.
Title: what a day/week/month/year
Post by: wombat on July 14, 2005, 01:13:00 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
I Now I'm seriously thinking of taking a car and driving away to Rhode Island or something, just to get away from all of this shit.


I was about to make fun of you for thinking Rhode Island was a cool place to get away from it all, when I realized that I am right now sitting in Delaware trying to get away from it all.  I can't help it, it's the closest there's a beach.
Title: what a day/week/month/year
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on July 14, 2005, 02:23:52 pm
The squirrels ate every. fuck*ng. one. of our tomatoes yesterday.  There were a few that were starting to turn red, and then last night I go out to check... gone.  All gone.  Five plants, every tomato that had started on them... gone.

FUCKERS!  fuck*ng VERMIN SQUIRRELS!  DIE!  YOU TOO, TODD, YOU PIECE OF SHIT!

So yes, it was a shitty day yesterday.
Title: what a day/week/month/year
Post by: side_show on July 14, 2005, 02:46:21 pm
Oh, squirrels are total bastards.  Oh yes they are.  My SO was once attacked by a squirrel to the point where he had this cute little scar on his ear.  

A few weeks ago we were out back of our old place and there was a squirrel on a wire chirping away to some other squirrel off in the distance.  My SO shook his fist at the squirrel in anger, so I translated the conversation for my SO:

Squirrel 1:  Hey there's a guy over here with delicious ears!
Squirrel 2:  Oh really?  Should I come over?
S1: Yeah, come over, we can both have a taste!
S2: Okay here I come!
my SO: Stop it!
S2:  You're right, they do look delicious!
my SO: (ducking into his truck) Nooo!
me:  I can't help it that squirrels think your ears are delicious.
my SO: yeah, yeah.
me: Hey, maybe it was the son of the squirrel that attached you back to finish the job.  Maybe it's his squirrelly destiny.
Title: what a day/week/month/year
Post by: V-Adore on July 14, 2005, 02:52:13 pm
Pointless update: the data finally was successfully massaged, and now I've started the real experiment. This is good, since I enjoy doing science more than I enjoy analyzing science. I am about 15 minutes from shooting rats up with a hormone inhibitor drug. Whee!

Sympathy to all who are having crummy days/weeks/months/years. May things turn around.
Title: what a day/week/month/year
Post by: pmcd9 on July 14, 2005, 03:24:03 pm
B B guns work well on squirrels too.  As do sling shots.

~Paul
Title: what a day/week/month/year
Post by: V-Adore on July 14, 2005, 03:33:49 pm
Quote from: "Asherdan"
Quote from: "Pointless Update"
I am about 15 minutes from shooting rats up with a hormone inhibitor drug. Whee!


I gotta know: Do you name the little subjects?

Not most of them. The vast majority have identifying numbers and nothing else. Some of the really obnoxious ones have reputations ("oh, geez, not 062 again") or nicknames ("looks like I'm working with Shrieky today").
Title: what a day/week/month/year
Post by: Choop on July 14, 2005, 05:39:28 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
"oh, geez, not 062 again"


COLD


COLD AS ICE
Title: what a day/week/month/year
Post by: V-Adore on July 14, 2005, 05:57:56 pm
Quote from: "Choopernickel"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
"oh, geez, not 062 again"


COLD


COLD AS ICE

You, sir, did not know 062. I suspect that 062 was the worst rat in the world (in the sense of "most malicious," not "least competent"). For one thing, he weighed something close to 700 grams, which doesn't sound like much but is the rat equivalent of Marlon Brando after a hot-dog-eating contest. Plus he was angry.

(No, seriously, this is a great job.)
Title: what a day/week/month/year
Post by: linnea on July 14, 2005, 06:47:01 pm
Man. That makes me feel sorry for the rats, until I realize that my doctors were pretty much doing the same thing with medicating me. It took almost two years of "whoops, that one made you black out while you were driving. Let's try...THIS one." Hella depression hell of sucks.

Anyway, I am pissy because my day isn't going so well. I've been working 14-hour days all this week to get something finished that I should have accomplished a long time ago, and it's due on Friday. I am back on the Hacker's Diet, and I'm still all angry because I'm hungry. Now I know why I gained so much weight on these psychiatric meds - I am hungry to the point where my stomach aches. It feels like it might be acid reflux. I don't know anymore. I can't wait until lunchtime, when I can walk back to my apartment and hang out with my cats. I am going to have an "omelet" (Lyle's microwaved egg whites) with vegetarian chili. Deeelicious!
Title: what a day/week/month/year
Post by: CortJstr on July 14, 2005, 08:21:52 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
You, sir, did not know 062. I suspect that 062 was the worst rat in the world (in the sense of "most malicious," not "least competent").

Double Super Mega Bonus Points for the clarification and for making me wonder what the least competent rat in the world would be like.

Also, Linnea, I'm wondering if Elavil is involved since it causes hella weight gain.
Title: what a day/week/month/year
Post by: Ben-San on July 14, 2005, 09:21:59 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
You, sir, did not know 062. I suspect that 062 was the worst rat in the world (in the sense of "most malicious," not "least competent").

Double Super Mega Bonus Points for the clarification and for making me wonder what the least competent rat in the world would be like.


I used to have the least competent guinea pig in the world. This was a guinea pig that came from Circumstances the details of which are not clear but which led to him having the name "Chola", which apparently means something vaguely like "homegirl". Chola liked to beat his vegetables to death by taking them between his teeth and slamming them repeatedly into the walls of his cage. Chola had a poor sense of balance, so he would fall over when he reared up onto his hind legs as guinea pigs occasionlly do, and would sometimes fall over when running overenthusiastically on all fours. This latter may not sound like much except that the guinea pig has a naturally remarkably stable configuration; I have never seen a guinea pig other than Chola fall onto its side quite like that. Chola ran into walls. Chola did not squeak, but instead squorked. We took the best care we could of Chola and he lived for many years, but they were years of an incompetent guinea pig.

That's all kind of off-subject but I don't really feel like discussing at length the ways in which my life sucks at the moment.
Title: what a day/week/month/year
Post by: Bozack on July 15, 2005, 08:11:45 am
Was...was today better?