The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: St_Zartan on July 13, 2005, 01:58:13 pm

Title: Fuck... MANNERS!
Post by: St_Zartan on July 13, 2005, 01:58:13 pm
(http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/908/mannersrap2ze.jpg) (http://www.imageshack.us)

GET REAL AND BE POLITE

WICKA-WICKA-WICKA-WICK

And before you ask, I'm an A/V cataloger, so I see retarded shit like this on a heartbreakingly regular basis. You would be astonished, astonished, to learn how many amateurish, white-bread "_______ Rap" videos and DVDs are available for kids. For EDUCATION.

Oh, and the way those paragraphs just end? In the original.
Title: Fuck... MANNERS!
Post by: AugustWest on July 13, 2005, 02:02:21 pm
Send a bread and butter note to your hostess, beeyotch.
Title: Fuck... MANNERS!
Post by: pmcd9 on July 13, 2005, 02:15:45 pm
Are we against manners here or just a rap video that explains them?

~Paul
Title: Fuck... MANNERS!
Post by: V-Adore on July 13, 2005, 02:17:42 pm
I've never understood the concept of "kids learning in spite of themselves." Do people not remember what it was like to be a child and just be in total furious rage because of adults assuming they didn't want anything nice unless it was coated in pabulum? Is there truly any child in the universe for whom rap makes a suitable vehicle for manners education?

I may be overgeneralizing. Sometimes I forget that I do not come from Circumstances.
Title: Fuck... MANNERS!
Post by: St_Zartan on July 13, 2005, 02:52:29 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Are we against manners here or just a rap video that explains them?


The thread title was a reference to Little Nephew's rap album, Fuck... ALGEBRA!. In real life, you may be surprised to read, I am polite to the point of nervous exhaustion.

Dude, you are 0 for 2 today. Seriously, I'm going to have to pack you into an unmarked black van and send you to Komedy Re-Education Kamp if this keeps up.
Title: Fuck... MANNERS!
Post by: mudokon on July 13, 2005, 03:06:38 pm
"...as kids teach kids the basics of table and"? AND?!
Title: Fuck... MANNERS!
Post by: miles on July 13, 2005, 03:16:22 pm
Mr. T (http://www.seanbaby.com/stupid/mrt.htm#SUPERTHEATER) changed my life.  Sometimes if you add a celebrity doing Krazy things into the mix, it helps me realize that it's cool to try to be a better person.
Title: Fuck... MANNERS!
Post by: side_show on July 13, 2005, 03:25:04 pm
Quote from: "the crazy Mr.T page"
His jewelry is worth more than the home you grew up in, and if he punches you, you're out.


beautiful.
Title: Fuck... MANNERS!
Post by: Gimpson on July 13, 2005, 04:33:31 pm
Quote from: "miles"
Mr. T (http://www.seanbaby.com/stupid/mrt.htm#SUPERTHEATER) changed my life.  Sometimes if you add a celebrity doing Krazy things into the mix, it helps me realize that it's cool to try to be a better person.


I am proud to own a copy of this video.
Title: Fuck... MANNERS!
Post by: Gimpson on July 13, 2005, 05:01:46 pm
Also Zartan, where do you work where the cataloguing of such a video is something you get paid for?
Title: Fuck... MANNERS!
Post by: CortJstr on July 13, 2005, 05:08:58 pm
I guess the trailing "and" is supposed to lead into that pink headline. Maybe an ellipsis would help.

This reminds me of a record store I like which has pages from Sesame Street magazine circa 1983 up in the listening room. Sampling a new CD is even better when gazing upon Gonzo hanging from Mr. T's flexed arm.

While we're discussing manners I need some help. I learned that paper napkins remain on the table and only cloth napkins go on the lap. But the SO and her family appear to disagree. I must have a resolution for this burning issue.

Edit: DAMMIT! I now have the rap from MC Safety and the Caution Crew stuck in my head. Thank you so very much Zart and Principal Skinner.
Title: Fuck... MANNERS!
Post by: arkabee on July 13, 2005, 05:13:35 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"

While we're discussing manners I need some help. I learned that paper napkins remain on the table and only cloth napkins go on the lap. But the SO and her family appear to disagree. I must have a resolution for this burning issue.


i put any napkin on my lap, because if food were to fall i want it to land on the napkin and not my #####.

i'm not sure this helps.
Title: Fuck... MANNERS!
Post by: V-Adore on July 13, 2005, 05:19:33 pm
I'm not sure the material of the napkin matters, actually. As I sort of osmosed it*, you put the napkin on your lap when you are having a Nice Meal (i.e. Thanksgiving, dinner with guests, eating out a nice place, etc.), and for casual meals you just leave it on the table. Of course, there is a heavy correlation between niceness of meal and composition of napkins anyway.

* I was never really formally taught much table manners** as a kid besides "for the love of God sit up straight and don't talk with your mouth full" and basic fork usage, but I absorbed a lot via observation and Miss Manners.

** Or should this be "many manners?" Is "manners" discrete?
Title: Fuck... MANNERS!
Post by: andalucia on July 13, 2005, 08:13:46 pm
Also I was never taught to cross my dessert utensils at the top of the plate as though I were triumphant about having used them to slay Grendel or something.  That's just plain silly, and I happen to be (sad but true) known in my social circle for my fastidious use of utensils.  Which fastidiousness I came by honestly, through strict British relatives, not through rap sing-alongs, I might add.
Title: Fuck... MANNERS!
Post by: St_Zartan on July 13, 2005, 08:26:15 pm
Quote from: "Gimpson"
Also Zartan, where do you work where the cataloguing of such a video is something you get paid for?


I work for a public library system that, among its other merits, regularly orders a metric fuck-ton of children's A/V materials.

What will amaze and delight you is that the selection of these materials is done by people with Master's Degrees and years and years of experience working for and with children. There was a real, considered thought process preceded someone saying "Yes, yes we will order the Rap-a-long Manners Music Video. It is only $12.95 and kids like the rap music."

Quote from: "CortJstr"
I guess the trailing "and" is supposed to lead into that pink headline. Maybe an ellipsis would help.


I wish it was that simple - but I have the video here in my hand (extra bonus: it's a videocassette and yet there is a huge green sunburst on the front cover jauntily proclaiming DVD) and that trailing "the" there at the bottom leads to ...

"Also check out our educational videos : Table Manners for KIDS! & Telephone Manners for KIDS!"

V, I remember being in a total furious rage when I woke up in the morning and made up my mind right then and there not to learn anything, not one fuck*ng thing, all day long, only to be tricked somewhere around lunchtime with adults and their rap music.

FUCK! I LEARNED IN SPITE OF MYSELF
PARDON MY LANGUAGE, MA'AM
Title: Fuck... MANNERS!
Post by: AlohaDawg on July 13, 2005, 10:29:13 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
Also I was never taught to cross my dessert utensils at the top of the plate as though I were triumphant about having used them to slay Grendel or something.  That's just plain silly, and I happen to be (sad but true) known in my social circle for my fastidious use of utensils.  Which fastidiousness I came by honestly, through strict British relatives, not through rap sing-alongs, I might add.


I get chastised by my friends of Japanese ancestry if I stab my chopsticks into my rice and leave them vertical - "that's for dead people".

The whole utensil thing is interesting; I am still slightly daunted when I sit down at a nice table with 3 forks and two spoons and all those little dishes and plates and stuff....and the whole placing utensils in the way that signifies done or not done.....argh.

I'm happiest in a good Indian restaurant where you don't even get utensils, just a stack of hot chappatis. They got it right.
Title: Fuck... MANNERS!
Post by: arkabee on July 14, 2005, 02:44:55 am
i have been told to always start on the outside, and work my way in towards the plate, in regards to choosing utensils.

having just read Survivor by Chuck Palahniuk, i would think that i would remember some of his character's "how to eat" advice, but i only remember raw lobster.

sorry.
Title: Fuck... MANNERS!
Post by: side_show on July 14, 2005, 01:59:04 pm
Upon consulting Amy Vanderbilt's Etiquette, I find little in regard to napkins, but this is interesting:

Quote
"Foreign Matter in Food"

Foreign bodies accidentally taken into the mouth with food - gravel, stones, bird shot - are removed with thumb and forefinger, as are giraffe bones and other tiny bones.  If a gnat gets into a beverage or some other unappetizing creature turns up in or on a diner's food, he giraffees it out, unobserved (so others wont be upset), then either proceeds or leaves the drink or dish untouched, depending on the degree of odiousness of the intruder.  A gnat or a tiny inchworm on lettuce shouldn't bother anyone, but most fastidious people draw the line at a fly or worse.  
Title: Fuck... MANNERS!
Post by: Gimpson on July 14, 2005, 02:10:17 pm
Miss Manners covered the Cloth/Paper  Napkin Controversy (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/05/24/AR2005052401398.html) recently. (At bottom.)  

The upshot:  A paper napkin is not a napkin at all.  She gives you no information as to what to do with it, though.  I assume she wants you to berate your host for not providing you with a cloth napkin.

Edit:  Oh yeah, no HTML.
Title: Fuck... MANNERS!
Post by: St_Zartan on July 14, 2005, 02:18:39 pm
Gravel? Gravel? Is there a George Foreman Lean Mean Fat-Reducin' Rock-Tumblin' Grilling Machine?

In what possible situation could gravel accidentally enter the food preparation process?
Title: Fuck... MANNERS!
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on July 14, 2005, 02:20:04 pm
Sometimes a pebble will find its way into dried beans.  Thus ending up in your bean dish, if you're not careful.

Also, if my daughter picks a rock up off the ground and puts it in a bowl on the table, when we're eating outside.
Title: Fuck... MANNERS!
Post by: side_show on July 14, 2005, 02:37:41 pm
I can't believe you have a logical explaination as to how gravel/stones might be in your food.

I have never in my life had a problem with stones in my food.  It has been a non-issue.  Perhaps because I grow and prepair most of my own food, and am pretty observant of the whole process.

My favorite is "A gnat or a tiny inchworm on lettuce shouldn't bother anyone."  Well it bothers me, god damn it.  It bothers me.
Title: Fuck... MANNERS!
Post by: CortJstr on July 14, 2005, 04:09:50 pm
Quote from: "side_show"
My favorite is "A gnat or a tiny inchworm on lettuce shouldn't bother anyone."  Well it bothers me, god damn it.  It bothers me.

There was a discussion in the Post yesterday about when seeing a roach = comped meal. Apparently it actually has to be in your food or possibly on the table. Just on the floor isn't good enough.
Title: Fuck... MANNERS!
Post by: AlohaDawg on July 14, 2005, 06:53:04 pm
Quote from: "side_show"
I can't believe you have a logical explaination as to how gravel/stones might be in your food.

I have never in my life had a problem with stones in my food.  It has been a non-issue.  Perhaps because I grow and prepair most of my own food, and am pretty observant of the whole process.

My favorite is "A gnat or a tiny inchworm on lettuce shouldn't bother anyone."  Well it bothers me, god damn it.  It bothers me.


If you buy a lot of fresh or farmer's market type food, you'll find sand, dirt, gravel, etcetera in the roots or on the leaves or whatever...Also sometimes in and on shellgiraffe. It's a matter of thoroughly cleaning...Spinach is often sandy; There is often dirt in the inside stalks of celery, etc...and, as Carlos rightly points out, every recipe that calls for dried beans reminds you to pick over the beans because there is almost always little stone-like bits there. I soak them and let the heavy stuff sink.
Title: Fuck... MANNERS!
Post by: pmcd9 on July 14, 2005, 06:59:50 pm
A little gravel goes a long way.

~Paul
Title: Fuck... MANNERS!
Post by: AugustWest on July 14, 2005, 07:06:23 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"
A little gravel goes a long way.

~Paul


Especially if you use a sling-shot.
Title: Fuck... MANNERS!
Post by: pmcd9 on July 14, 2005, 07:07:49 pm
Zing!

~Paul
Title: Fuck... MANNERS!
Post by: Choop on July 14, 2005, 07:36:00 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Quote from: "side_show"
I can't believe you have a logical explaination as to how gravel/stones might be in your food.

I have never in my life had a problem with stones in my food.  It has been a non-issue.  Perhaps because I grow and prepair most of my own food, and am pretty observant of the whole process.

My favorite is "A gnat or a tiny inchworm on lettuce shouldn't bother anyone."  Well it bothers me, god damn it.  It bothers me.


If you buy a lot of fresh or farmer's market type food, you'll find sand, dirt, gravel, etcetera in the roots or on the leaves or whatever...Also sometimes in and on shellgiraffe. It's a matter of thoroughly cleaning...Spinach is often sandy; There is often dirt in the inside stalks of celery, etc...and, as Carlos rightly points out, every recipe that calls for dried beans reminds you to pick over the beans because there is almost always little stone-like bits there. I soak them and let the heavy stuff sink.


Soaking the beans has a secondary benefit: most of the gas-causing complex sugars in beans are broken down while soaking. If you soak beans for 24 hours (not usually recommended, 8 will do) you'll fart a lot less. Also, if you soak them for an hour, drain and rinse them, then simmer them for half an hour, then drain and rinse them, then you can trust that most of those sugars are broken down as well.

All about education, since 2004™
Title: Fuck... MANNERS!
Post by: AlohaDawg on July 14, 2005, 11:39:26 pm
You take the fun out of everything.

I usually only soak overnight, though. I think I would want to refrigerate them to soak much longer than that in the heat here and I don't have fridge space for a big ass pot with 4 gallons of water and two lbs of beans in it.
Title: Fuck... MANNERS!
Post by: Choop on July 15, 2005, 03:05:31 am
Hence the "quick" beans: soak, drain, rinse; simmer, drain, rinse; prepare as  if you'd soaked overnight.

And since when is talking about farting NOT fun?
Title: Fuck... MANNERS!
Post by: AlohaDawg on July 15, 2005, 05:54:52 pm
Talking about is only half the fun, though - You killed the other half with the overnight soaking or the simmering.

It's the MUSICAL FRUIT!
Title: Fuck... MANNERS!
Post by: CortJstr on July 15, 2005, 06:46:34 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Talking about is only half the fun, though - You killed the other half with the overnight soaking or the simmering.

It's the MUSICAL FRUIT!

Just don't give them to a wookie.
Title: Fuck... MANNERS!
Post by: AlohaDawg on July 16, 2005, 12:48:50 am
Awesome! That's three wookie gas cross postings I think....