The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: cellardoor on July 15, 2005, 07:50:00 am

Title: Great moments in cinema - 15th July 2005
Post by: cellardoor on July 15, 2005, 07:50:00 am
I like the dialogue here, it feels like Chris just said "improvise guys" and away they went.
And I much prefer Phillipe as R2 rather than appearing to look like a c*ck with a face.
Thank you.

(Man, did I write enough? Are you...are you going to mod this?)
Title: Great moments in cinema - 15th July 2005
Post by: Bozack on July 15, 2005, 08:10:28 am
You know, I'm amazed that there are others involved in this little web den who have sleep schedules just as fucked up as mine are.
Yeah, I kind of like how they just took the whole Star Wars thing to the inevitable conclusion. I'm sure at some point, on the way to the Death Star, Chewie farted and it was SO BAD.
Title: Great moments in cinema - 15th July 2005
Post by: MattFish on July 15, 2005, 08:17:47 am
This strip is so much awesome. The dialogue is great, the premise is tremendously funny, Roomba strips rule, and I love the line about grapesicles and two hundred credits.

Hell, the roomba doesn't even drive around in this one, it's just being used as a superimposed prop. How cool is that?
Title: Great moments in cinema - 15th July 2005
Post by: cellardoor on July 15, 2005, 08:22:50 am
Hey Bozack, sorry to burst the bubble but i'm in Merry Olde Englande, where it's 9am and we are all settling into work with a large mug of tea and a scone.
Title: Great moments in cinema - 15th July 2005
Post by: Ben-San on July 15, 2005, 08:55:06 am
I'm not, I just have a crappy sleep schedule.
Title: Great moments in cinema - 15th July 2005
Post by: Islikemoxie! on July 15, 2005, 09:11:04 am
Those are damn expensive couch covers, for 10 of those you can buy a used landspeeder!

Also, I think "Space Gas" should be used in ALL Science Fiction movies.
Title: Great moments in cinema - 15th July 2005
Post by: tcc on July 15, 2005, 09:32:54 am
That fuck*ng guy.

Also Philippe sitting there, hand and face dirty, all suprised - SO good SO funny.
Title: Great moments in cinema - 15th July 2005
Post by: V-Adore on July 15, 2005, 12:49:55 pm
Inexplicable use of color = excellent. Yes.
Title: Great moments in cinema - 15th July 2005
Post by: Golfhaus on July 15, 2005, 01:57:29 pm
Onstad is SUCH a hack.

EVERYONE knows that R2 eats CHERRY-flavored popsicles. I mean, Jesus.
Title: Great moments in cinema - 15th July 2005
Post by: acoxcae on July 15, 2005, 02:02:34 pm
I like that Teodor is talking (yelling?) through the old-type cone megaphone for no readily apparent reason.

I also like that Phillipe, though seemingly not participating, is addressed as R2 and immediately responds.  His look is one of pricelessness.

Those fuck*ng guys.
Title: Great moments in cinema - 15th July 2005
Post by: V-Adore on July 15, 2005, 02:11:52 pm
Quote from: "acoxcae"

I also like that Phillipe, though seemingly not participating, is addressed as R2 and immediately responds.  His look is one of pricelessness.

I wouldn't be too surprised if Teodor put him up to it. "Hey, why don't you have a grapesicle? Yeah, over here, on the couch. It's for our movie."
Title: Great moments in cinema - 15th July 2005
Post by: Choop on July 15, 2005, 02:48:25 pm
Quote from: "Golfhaus"
Onstad is SUCH a hack.

EVERYONE knows that R2 eats CHERRY-flavored popsicles. I mean, Jesus.


Settle down, Bobby.
Title: Great moments in cinema - 15th July 2005
Post by: CortJstr on July 15, 2005, 03:20:26 pm
Shouldn't those be like Alderian Mega-Almonds or something? What are the odds that they have almonds just like on Earth? It totally kills my suspension of disbelief.
Title: Great moments in cinema - 15th July 2005
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on July 15, 2005, 03:50:56 pm
Quote from: "Choopernickel"
Quote from: "Golfhaus"
Onstad is SUCH a hack.

EVERYONE knows that R2 eats CHERRY-flavored popsicles. I mean, Jesus.


Settle down, Bobby.


Settled.
Title: Great moments in cinema - 15th July 2005
Post by: jough on July 15, 2005, 03:58:38 pm
I knew I should've just read Garfield today - at least I would have heard something snarky involving a dog or lasagne.

Also, is the reason the Roomba ad a separate panel today because they're now a paying sponsor of Achewood, or because Onstad needed to fill an extra panel because he was just utterly devoid of any ideas for an additional panel?

Seriously, I know there are those here who would call Onstad a genius if he got a case of the hiccoughs, but could one of you who thought this was either "good" or "funny" explain why?  There's nothing here, people. NOTHING.

MONDAY: The Grass Grows at Achewood Court
Title: Great moments in cinema - 15th July 2005
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on July 15, 2005, 04:01:46 pm
Quote from: "jough"

Seriously, I know there are those here who would call Onstad a genius if he got a case of the hiccoughs, but could one of you who thought this was either "good" or "funny" explain why?  There's nothing here, people. NOTHING.




Chris Onstad is the kindest, bravest, warmest, most selfless cartoonist I've ever met in my life.
Title: Great moments in cinema - 15th July 2005
Post by: AlohaDawg on July 15, 2005, 05:43:11 pm
Quote from: "jough"
I knew I should've just read Garfield today - at least I would have heard something snarky involving a dog or lasagne.

Also, is the reason the Roomba ad a separate panel today because they're now a paying sponsor of Achewood, or because Onstad needed to fill an extra panel because he was just utterly devoid of any ideas for an additional panel?

Seriously, I know there are those here who would call Onstad a genius if he got a case of the hiccoughs, but could one of you who thought this was either "good" or "funny" explain why?  There's nothing here, people. NOTHING.

MONDAY: The Grass Grows at Achewood Court


I would have phrased it differently but I think that comparison to a Wookie Fart is apt today.

In fact, the funniest thing so far about this strip is the Wookie Fart comment. Someone should make a flash movie of that. But as I've said before, the gold far, far outweighs the dross in the body of work and I'm just happy to be part of this board so carry on.
Title: Great moments in cinema - 15th July 2005
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on July 15, 2005, 06:00:16 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Quote from: "jough"

Seriously, I know there are those here who would call Onstad a genius if he got a case of the hiccoughs, but could one of you who thought this was either "good" or "funny" explain why?  There's nothing here, people. NOTHING.


I would have phrased it differently


(http://mike.13th-floor.org/onstad-shark.gif)
Title: Great moments in cinema - 15th July 2005
Post by: robot_roll_call on July 15, 2005, 06:31:48 pm
I don't see how this comic could not make you laugh. I'm sorry but the way Teodor chastises Philippe without breaking character just kills me. I got a good chuckle and it made a fine day (I am putting in my 2 weeks notice at my job!) even better.
Title: Great moments in cinema - 15th July 2005
Post by: cellardoor on July 15, 2005, 06:34:18 pm
"There's nothing here, people. NOTHING."

Pat?
Title: Great moments in cinema - 15th July 2005
Post by: Suckin_Dick on July 15, 2005, 06:45:48 pm
man i haven't seen a roomba strip in a while.  this one is great.  man don't wookies eat droid arms like almonds anyway?  the way the wookie came off in this one is as if he's like a small retarded child who doesn't know any better.  frankly, as a wookie enthusiast.  i'm slightly offended.
Title: Great moments in cinema - 15th July 2005
Post by: Noah on July 15, 2005, 09:42:11 pm
Quote from: "cellardoor"
"There's nothing here, people. NOTHING."

Pat?


that is a RIDICULOUS claim and an OUTRAGEOUS lie
Title: Great moments in cinema - 15th July 2005
Post by: Lister on July 15, 2005, 09:53:23 pm
I, for one, laughed at this because it reminds me of what my friends and I would do to kill time when we were young and Star Wars didn't have three sucky prequels yet.

Perhaps the appeal lies in the return to the "What do stuffed toys do to pass the time during the day?" premise.  Or in Phillippe getting in Trouble again.  Or the nonsense that generally surrounds the Roomba strips.

I don't know!  Get off my back!  Don't be such a square, man!  This is how the gang gets our kicks!
Title: Great moments in cinema - 15th July 2005
Post by: palm trees on July 16, 2005, 01:11:08 am
fuck*ng hell man, if jough continues on this trajectory he'll be wanting to kill onstad by early next year
Title: Great moments in cinema - 15th July 2005
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on July 16, 2005, 01:19:48 am
Quote from: "palm trees"
fuck*ng hell man, if jough continues on this trajectory he'll be wanting to kill onstad by early next year


Jough won't kill Onstad; that would leave him with one less person to hate.

Crankiness: My Anti-Drug
Title: Great moments in cinema - 15th July 2005
Post by: Choop on July 16, 2005, 03:43:15 am
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "palm trees"
fuck*ng hell man, if jough continues on this trajectory he'll be wanting to kill onstad by early next year


Jough won't kill Onstad; that would leave him with one less person to hate.

Crankiness: My Anti-Drug


THREAD WINNER - OH YES
Title: Great moments in cinema - 15th July 2005
Post by: jough on July 16, 2005, 03:45:13 am
I don't hate Onstad, I just think he's lost his path and should take a sabbatical to be with his new baby.  

Don't run the comic into the ground just for the sake of doing it, 'stad.  It's okay to be out of ideas and not have your heart in your work - but you gotta know when to take a step back and wonder if this is something you want to continue to do.  The work is already suffering.
Title: Great moments in cinema - 15th July 2005
Post by: JeremyW on July 16, 2005, 03:48:51 am
Quote from: "jough"
I don't hate Onstad, I just think he's lost his path and should take a sabbatical to be with his new baby.  

Don't run the comic into the ground just for the sake of doing it, 'stad.  It's okay to be out of ideas and not have your heart in your work - but you gotta know when to take a step back and wonder if this is something you want to continue to do.  The work is already suffering.


You don't like a couple of strips so you think the creator should pack it in?
Title: Great moments in cinema - 15th July 2005
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on July 16, 2005, 03:51:23 am
Quote from: "JeremyW"
Quote from: "jough"
I don't hate Onstad, I just think he's lost his path and should take a sabbatical to be with his new baby.  

Don't run the comic into the ground just for the sake of doing it, 'stad.  It's okay to be out of ideas and not have your heart in your work - but you gotta know when to take a step back and wonder if this is something you want to continue to do.  The work is already suffering.


You don't like a couple of strips so you think the creator should pack it in?


In Jough's world, Grandma Moses would be set adrift on an ice floe for failing to produce during her spent youth.

How this turns into a sexual dream for him is beyond me.
Title: Great moments in cinema - 15th July 2005
Post by: jough on July 16, 2005, 03:58:53 am
Quote from: "JeremyW"

You don't like a couple of strips so you think the creator should pack it in?


It's not just a couple of strips - it's been a gradual decline that's been evident for a few months now (that is, when there's even a new strip).

I'm not suggesting he pack it in - I'm suggesting he take a break and then come back when (or if) he finds the passion to do it again.  There's no shame in changing gears, or finding that something that used to be energizing has become an enervating chore.

The strip is on a ballistic trajectory - I'm just hoping that he either pulls up on the stick or bails out before it crashes.
Title: Great moments in cinema - 15th July 2005
Post by: V-Adore on July 16, 2005, 04:16:11 am
If we are talking about The Overall Development of the Strip In McCloudian Capital Letters, I am curious:

Why all the porn-based plots in the last while, anyway? I mean, I realize that "since the Sani-Taco arc" has been a while, but it seems like a notable concentration. Lyle's gonzo porn, the porn stars moving in next door, and now so God help us a non-trivial amount of Circus c*ck content. What is up with this?
Title: Great moments in cinema - 15th July 2005
Post by: St_Zartan on July 16, 2005, 04:51:27 am
Pornography, both the product itself and the very distinct and somewhat insular community that creates / distributes it, is interesting and bizarre (http://www.rotten.com/library/bio/pornographers/).

The strip's always evinced more than a passing familarity with porn - AVN jokes, the rudest titties, the high-five scare, birthday cakes - and hell, if he can make use of it in a clever way (which I think he has; compare with OMG I'M A PR0N STAR ROFLCOPTER *FRRRRRT* over at Diesel Sweeties), more power to him.

Oh, and I liked today's comic. It reminded me of when I was a kid, and my parents would try to play with me - only vaguely realizing that, thanks to comic books and cartoons, my toys had very specific and detailed worlds and rules that must be followed. The idea of the Falcon needing "Space Gas" is pretty much exactly like something my dad would have said. I get the feeling that they were just screwing around trying to entertain Philippe, whose attention, predictably, wandered to Popsicles.

EDIT: now that I think about it, Lyle was probably playing the role of Chewie, and decided to take off with the almonds. That fuck*ng guy.
Title: Great moments in cinema - 15th July 2005
Post by: arkabee on July 16, 2005, 05:06:59 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"

Oh, and I liked today's comic. It reminded me of when I was a kid, and my parents would try to play with me - only vaguely realizing that, thanks to comic books and cartoons, my toys had very specific and detailed worlds and rules that must be followed. The idea of the Falcon needing "Space Gas" is pretty much exactly like something my dad would have said. I get the feeling that they were just screwing around trying to entertain Philippe, whose attention, predictably, wandered to Popsicles.

EDIT: now that I think about it, Lyle was probably playing the role of Chewie, and decided to take off with the almonds. That fuck*ng guy.


i had not thought of those paticulary possibilities but now that i am presented with them i am struck by their obviousness and plausibility.
Title: Great moments in cinema - 15th July 2005
Post by: jough on July 16, 2005, 05:43:41 pm
Quote from: "acoxcae"
I like that Teodor is talking (yelling?) through the old-type cone megaphone for no readily apparent reason.


It's not for no reason - he's Darth Vader (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=01192004), and needs the cone to do the voice.

Sheesh.
Title: Great moments in cinema - 15th July 2005
Post by: robot_roll_call on July 16, 2005, 06:28:27 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Quote from: "acoxcae"
I like that Teodor is talking (yelling?) through the old-type cone megaphone for no readily apparent reason.


It's not for no reason - he's Darth Vader (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=01192004), and needs the cone to do the voice.

Sheesh.


I think he's Han, actually.