The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: AugustWest on July 18, 2005, 03:14:00 am
-
So, I had to take my kids to camp this morning and I realized that I would be somewhat in the general vicinity of our esteemed Arkabee. After a few PM's back and forth and a phone call we managed to set up a meeting in Fulton, Ky/ South Fulton, TN. After a little bit of wandering around the town (which was surprisingly deserted, even for a Sunday afternoon,) we ran into each other in front of the only restaurant in town that appeared to be open.
We had a very nice lunch and some stimulating conversation during which we talked about all you behind your collective backs. It was very pleasant and served to raise my already high opinion of Arkabee.
Lately I've been doing my best to emulate that worthy of worthies, Paul so I've been carrying my camera around with me. Since a TOUAMB summit of this magnitude is unquestionably worth recording for the annals of history I thought I should get a picture of it. Problem was the town was deserted (did I mention that before,) so we couldn't do the traditional trusting tourist thing. And I couldn't get the dang self-timer to work. Therefore, here are my attempts to capture both of us in a more primative manner:
(http://frank.plagiarist.com/pix/lunch1.JPG)
This was actually Ark's idea -- catching us both in the mirror in the shop window. Rather more arty than my solution:
(http://frank.plagiarist.com/pix/lunch2.JPG)
(http://frank.plagiarist.com/pix/lunch3.JPG)
The old hold the camera at arms length and point it back at you trick... God, I look like hell.
Anyway, Ark's truly a gentleman and a scholar and I'm glad I went out of my way to meet him. Next stop AcheCon.
-
These pics are too small.
-
Dang, that is pretty awesome. It actually shames me that August and I live in the same area, yet despite many attempts on his part, I'm almost always too lazy and sick to actually meet up with him. One day, August! ONE DAY!
-
These pics are too small.
Dawg, you stole the words out of my mouth.
-
Man, why do I have to be stuck here in Massachusetts without a car? Stupid Massachusetts. Sigh. Y'all are rad.
-
Wow, I feel flattered. How awesome is that, none other than the esteemed August himself is emulating me. What a nice compliment. Hey I just noticed, emulate starts out with emu. Emu-late, that's funny. So does emulate mean to act like an emu? August, are you calling me an big, hairy, goofy, bird that can't fly? I don't feel so good suddenly.
~Paul
-
unlike some type of people, paul, i am not trying to pigeon hole
you when i tell you that i had planted a tomato plant earlier this
year; i realize that my simple aping of your habits, my parroting
of your tomato-planting, my imp-ersonation of your hor-ticulturing
mannerisms will not simply give me a green thumb, myself, through
some mystical osmosis, yet i can not help but think that if i were to
be able to choose anyone to goose me on to tomato growing proiciency,
i would most certainly choose you.
but, i did grow a baby tomato. it's tiny.
--
also,
indeed, verily did the
1st Periodic Kentuckessee/Tennetucky OUAMB -a- Con
occur, food was eaten, words were spoken, thongs on cats in escalades
were pondered.
and it was good.
-
I'm sorry to report that my efforts at tomato farming this season were a big disapointment. Fortunately I live in very close proximity to a farmers market and since late may they have had homegrown and/or vine ripened tomatos for sale. Cheap!
I am however proud to know that I helped inspire you to grow yer own.
~Paul
-
Have I mentioned that the squirrels ate all my tomatoes? fuck*ng SQUIRRELS! Die die DIE!
-
The floor acknowledges the request for the topics of:
Tomatos
Tomatos and their archnemesiseses: the Squirrel
to be disccussed at
the 2nd Periodic Kentuckessee/Tennetucky OUAMB -a- Con
The floor accedes that since the Secretary is a figment of the floor's imagination and that in hindsight the naming of the floor is in error,
that the topic may or may not be discussed at aforementioned event.
holy shit what a week this is going to be, the earth is big and frightening.
-
Aug you look like a DAMN DIRTY HIPPY next to that shiny Arkabee dome.
-
News update -- my lunch with Ark was great, but required a trip of about 300 miles. Since 250 of that was to get to camp it wasn't quite the sacrifice which it may seem. But, I did drive over 625 miles on Sunday.
Which is all well and good. Until this afternoon, when my mobile rings. It is the camp calling to tell me that younger daughter is sick and barfing her guts out and can I come get her? At the time, Mrs. West and I were shopping in Louisville, 45 minutes away from home. Sigh. So I take the Mrs. home (or almost home to where I can pick up another vehicle) and start out down the road again. 500 miles and 10 hours later, here I am home again. Sigh.
But wait -- here's the best part! I get to do it all again on Friday! Sometimes it's just not easy being a Dad.
-
I've waited quietly, patiently. I was enjoying the positive vibe of this thread and Lord knows it warms my dried up old heart* to see handsome American kids getting together and having a good old time. But seriously, I really thought this would have been a given. I really thought it would fall to someone else to bring it up.
What did you have to eat? I mean Louis Malle at least showed us the food.
*Contents measured by weight, not by volume.
-
...to see handsome American kids getting together and having a good old time.
Whoa, hold on there, Dick Clark, this ain't American Bandstand.
-
I have fuck-loads of tomatoes.
I have now wallpapered my house with gigantic repeating murals of Augie and Ark - it didn't take as many pieces as I thought it was going to, but it's disturbed my wife a touch.
-
Hey, Nabu's back!
-
Hey, Nabu's back!
behold the power of Kentuckessee/Tennetucky,
for it is only second to the power of cheese.
there should be a league of football for tomatoes.
children are frightening, the thought that your child would be vomitting and
you aren't sure why or how to stop it is frightening.
i was speaking to a customer, and the conversation somehow turned
to how much it cost to have her child: over $150,000.
that's american money, but even that would be a lot of monopoly
money. how many times would someone have to land on boardwalk
and how many hotels am i allowed to put on it after they land on it?
please tell you wife that i hadn't intended on disturbing her.
-
Ahem, I believe you were asked a question:
I've waited quietly, patiently. I was enjoying the
positive vibe of this thread and Lord knows it warms my dried up old
heart....What did you have to eat?
Also, I am intoxicated right now, as the sun rises, post=house warming
party. And you might ask, was the house warmed? And I will say indeed
it was. So warmed in fact that I had to open a couple windows.
-
Ahem, I believe you were asked a question:
I've waited quietly, patiently. I was enjoying the
positive vibe of this thread and Lord knows it warms my dried up old
heart....What did you have to eat?
a sunday buffet.