The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: CortJstr on July 18, 2005, 07:56:21 pm
-
Beef's expression is so messed up in the last panel. I think this might even be worse for his mental health than the Volvo of Despair. I would find bus passes online to be funny of DC didn't actually offer them. Buy your 0.2oz SmarTrip card online for only $5 shipping!
Yes, I'm aware there was a much better thread title but I didn't want to ruin the punch line since this posted so late in the day.
-
y'know i was kinda dissapointed. maybe i'm just in a bad mood. it's 3 in the afternoon and i just woke up, what're you gonna do?
-
Being a Bio dork, I am particularly bemused by the fact that one poster's mother appears to have a fatal enzyme. (Hint to technobabble writer wannabes out there: the "-ase" suffix has a very specific meaning, and it is not "disease.") The punchline is sort of vague -- is Beef just getting depressed at the problems, or what? I almost feel like this strip should have two more panels.
On the plus side, the shading is nice.
-
-- Yeah, I tried shooting them, but it didn't take - what now?
Why do I think that Pat could take over as moderator/head bitcher of this website?
-
I hope Beef's idea basically enhances his self-esteem from two ways: Seeing other people's troubles always helps to put your own in perspective, PLUS Beef's basically getting paid to see other people's troubles so he gets richer and he can afford things like cool knives without having to worry so much about the costs.
He can look at his new knife and think "I own this because an old lady thought she was maybe too old to ride the bus."
But then he'd get all guilty with his conscience because he's getting cool stuff from other people's circumstances and that's not right, so he'd bury the knife or mail it to the old lady with the bus problem.
-
turbo ninija- excellent analysis.
my thoughts on this comic: thank god for achewood. thank you onstadt.
-
I like thinking that all ~250 million posts were written by, like, only five or six people (e.g. the psoriasis guy also suggests shooting the barking dogs, etc).
I-Got-Problems Dot Com is probably Chris Onstad's nickname for this message board. "Someone was telling lies about my t-shirts over at I-Got-Problems Dot Com," he might say to his wife while chopping up vegetables for a salad. "They spent around two hundred posts making guesses as to my morning bathroom rituals. And V-Dore still wants Mega Hugzz on me."
-
I think it's funnier without the analysis. It's the fact that he post a website where people can complain and it gets a quarter of a million hits in one night. Damn that's a lot of complaining. Or maybe it's the fact that Beef somehow feels complelled to read everybit of it, a totally impossible task. And yes, reading 239,000 complaints would totally sap the life out of you. This strip is solid gold.
~Paul
-
I came within one click of registering i-got-problems.com, but came to my senses. My impulse domain registrations from last year are about to expire, and I never did anything with those either.
For any of you with more followthrough than I, there is money to be made, and the domain is in fact available.
-
I-Got-Problems Dot Com is probably Chris Onstad's nickname for this message board. "Someone was telling lies about my t-shirts over at I-Got-Problems Dot Com," he might say to his wife while chopping up vegetables for a salad. "They spent around two hundred posts making guesses as to my morning bathroom rituals. And V-Dore still wants Mega Hugzz on me."
I hate to start thinking like this, because it edges us closer and closer to the TOUAMB disappearing up its own ass, but I can totally see this.
Admit it, Chris. You're pining over those Mega Hugzz that you will never get. Maybe it'd be different if you'd sold me a Sanryobuki t-shirt that wasn't total crap.
-
blah blah bio speak
Reminds me of a conversation I had wherein I was mentioning a Thai friend of the family named Norlisa. "Norlisa?" someone asked. "Yeah, it's Lisa with an extra methyl group sticking out of her head." Dur-hyuk!
As for the strip itself: Beef, and I wager, Onstad, has reinvented Craigslist rants and raves. Except without the vitriol that makes it so funny. We have hoses hooked up to every one of jough's orifices to distill that kind of vitriol for Craiglist.
-
Beef's expression is so messed up in the last panel. I think this might even be worse for his mental health than the Volvo of Despair. I would find bus passes online to be funny of DC didn't actually offer them. Buy your 0.2oz SmarTrip card online for only $5 shipping!
Yes, I'm aware there was a much better thread title but I didn't want to ruin the punch line since this posted so late in the day.
SmarTrips are the most idiotic thing ever. Thankfully they may be bought at the station. I was worried you would HAVE to buy them ahead of time.
-
Beef's expression is so messed up in the last panel. I think this might even be worse for his mental health than the Volvo of Despair. I would find bus passes online to be funny of DC didn't actually offer them. Buy your 0.2oz SmarTrip card online for only $5 shipping!
Yes, I'm aware there was a much better thread title but I didn't want to ruin the punch line since this posted so late in the day.
SmarTrips are the most idiotic thing ever. Thankfully they may be bought at the station. I was worried you would HAVE to buy them ahead of time.
I like them in principle as you don't need to waste a new piece of paper for each trip but they're freaking impossible to find. They sell them via machine at stations with parking lots (which I haven't been to in years) and at Commuter Stores which are only open at rush hour (when I'm on 66).
-
Beef's expression is so messed up in the last panel. I think this might even be worse for his mental health than the Volvo of Despair. I would find bus passes online to be funny of DC didn't actually offer them. Buy your 0.2oz SmarTrip card online for only $5 shipping!
Yes, I'm aware there was a much better thread title but I didn't want to ruin the punch line since this posted so late in the day.
SmarTrips are the most idiotic thing ever. Thankfully they may be bought at the station. I was worried you would HAVE to buy them ahead of time.
I like them in principle as you don't need to waste a new piece of paper for each trip but they're freaking impossible to find. They sell them via machine at stations with parking lots (which I haven't been to in years) and at Commuter Stores which are only open at rush hour (when I'm on 66).
Precipitating a possible topic split, dude you have NO excuse. You are like three stops from WFC.
-
Other fun things noticed on a second viewing:
* First reply is always: Try what I did. Only $10k up front.
* "Fuck*ng". Someone doesn't quite grasp the concept of obfuscating the obscenity.
* The HR tags aren't XHTML 1.0/Strict compliant.
-
Other fun things noticed on a second viewing:
* First reply is always: Try what I did. Only $10k up front.
Until the last: Try what I did. Call animal control... (That made me chuckle, in fact.)
* "Fuck*ng". Someone doesn't quite grasp the concept of obfuscating the obscenity.
Good catch - I didn't see it.
* The HR tags aren't XHTML 1.0/Strict compliant.
I don't think Chris knows the difference.
-
blah blah bio speak
Reminds me of a conversation I had wherein I was mentioning a Thai friend of the family named Norlisa. "Norlisa?" someone asked. "Yeah, it's Lisa with an extra methyl group sticking out of her head." Dur-hyuk!
Glavin!
-
I went to a Therapist today to talk about all of my God Damned Problems. At the wrap-up at the end of the session, he was talking and said, "You got depression."
And I ALMOST said "But that don't stop the show!"
I liked this.
Find out more, here! Click here, now.
-
I went to a Therapist today to talk about all of my God Damned Problems. At the wrap-up at the end of the session, he was talking and said, "You got depression."
And I ALMOST said "But that don't stop the show!"
I liked this.
Find out more, here! Click here, now.
I would've asked him to specify if I had "hella depression" or just regular.
-
Beef's expression is so messed up in the last panel. I think this might even be worse for his mental health than the Volvo of Despair. I would find bus passes online to be funny of DC didn't actually offer them. Buy your 0.2oz SmarTrip card online for only $5 shipping!
Yes, I'm aware there was a much better thread title but I didn't want to ruin the punch line since this posted so late in the day.
SmarTrips are the most idiotic thing ever. Thankfully they may be bought at the station. I was worried you would HAVE to buy them ahead of time.
I like them in principle as you don't need to waste a new piece of paper for each trip but they're freaking impossible to find. They sell them via machine at stations with parking lots (which I haven't been to in years) and at Commuter Stores which are only open at rush hour (when I'm on 66).
Mine broke, and I sent it in, but they haven't sent me a new one yet. Bastards!
They are good in principle, but you have to have one to pay for parking at the outer stations, and that fact is lost on a lot of people. One night after a Nationals game, we were waiting in line to get out, and the car in front of us got up to the gate, and sat there... and sat there. "Oh no," I thought. Then he put on his back-up lights. MORON! But before it got out of hand, a guy in the car behind me jumped out, swiped his card, and yelled "GO!" I guess it was worth $3.75 for him to not have to back up for that idiot.
-
They are good in principle, but you have to have one to pay for parking at the outer stations, and that fact is lost on a lot of people. One night after a Nationals game, we were waiting in line to get out, and the car in front of us got up to the gate, and sat there... and sat there. "Oh no," I thought. Then he put on his back-up lights. MORON! But before it got out of hand, a guy in the car behind me jumped out, swiped his card, and yelled "GO!" I guess it was worth $3.75 for him to not have to back up for that idiot.
Somebody else was telling basically the exact same story in Dr. Gridlock yesterday except the car at the gate didn't realize somebody had swiped their card for him and still sat there, missing the gate.
Also, people approaching the toll plaza at rte 28: If you don't know what Easy Pass/Smart Tag is then you obviously don't have it so move the fuck out of the Smart Tag Only lane.
-
Am I pathetic? Yes. (http://www.i-got-problems.com)
-
Ok, so in this particular context, pathetic == awesome.
Honestly, I thought about doing this when I first saw the strip, but decided I didn't have the time/money/dignity to waste, so I didn't.
Just kidding, of course - seriously awesome.
-
Heh. Well done, indeed.
-
Now, I know it's not in the source material, but I feel like an RSS feed is pretty much mandatory here.
Y'know, to hear about problems LIVE!
-
This is terrifyingly rad. Terrifyingly, terrifyingly rad.
-
Oh man, not only does it contain the text from the strip, but people can add their own problems.
Awesome. Awesome.
Once the new SaddestThing.com site is set up I'm totally linking to this.
-
That just made my day.
-
Oh good, people have already started to try to exploit it. Fortunatly I'm not a dumbass so putting PHP into the problem field does absolutely nothing. Not that it would have done anything anyway since the syntax was bad...
BTW, I didn't implement the whole (more) functionality because if I did I would have to write more about riding the bus at eleven thirty etc, and I didn't really think I could do it justice.
-
This is almost unbelievably excellent.