The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: mudokon on July 19, 2005, 08:14:04 am

Title: July 19, 2005 - Cymulon
Post by: mudokon on July 19, 2005, 08:14:04 am
Man, Pat is such an asshole that he watches PBS. At least I think it's supposed to be PBS.

Seriously though, what is this? Onstad's been really patchy for a couple of weeks now.
Title: July 19, 2005 - Cymulon
Post by: MSC on July 19, 2005, 12:40:43 pm
I disagree.  "It's a falcon, and yes."  !  And insight into the weird cohabitation of Nice Pete and Pat is strange and funny.
Title: July 19, 2005 - Cymulon
Post by: V-Adore on July 19, 2005, 12:44:27 pm
The concept is funny, but the script reads like a first draft. The falcon joke is moderately cute, but... enh. Think I would like this with more panels and more purpose beyond "Pat watches bad fantasy TV in which a character is named Cymulon."

(It also doesn't totally fit with Pat; he seems more like the kind of guy who would scream about the historical inaccuracies in said shows until all enjoyment was beaten out, in my opinion.)
Title: July 19, 2005 - Cymulon
Post by: Doctor C on July 19, 2005, 12:57:31 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
The concept is funny, but the script reads like a first draft. The falcon joke is moderately cute, but... enh. Think I would like this with more panels and more purpose beyond "Pat watches bad fantasy TV in which a character is named Cymulon."

(It also doesn't totally fit with Pat; he seems more like the kind of guy who would scream about the historical inaccuracies in said shows until all enjoyment was beaten out, in my opinion.)

I dunno, I liked the way Pat is seen totally engrossed with what sounds like a glorified, medieval soap opera, which is exactly the sort of show you know he'd berate anyone else for watching
Title: Re: July 19, 2005 - Cymulon
Post by: CortJstr on July 19, 2005, 01:08:57 pm
Quote from: "mudokon"
Man, Pat is such an asshole that he watches PBS. At least I think it's supposed to be PBS.

Hey hey hey HEY! Red Dwarf is on PBS so I'll have none of your mocking.
Title: July 19, 2005 - Cymulon
Post by: acoxcae on July 19, 2005, 02:46:20 pm
Agreed with Cort - there's at least one hour per month of quality programming on PBS - sometimes more.

As for the strip, I could go either way - it's funny to see Pat totally engrossed in what I'd say is probably melodramatic derivative sputum, but then it's really not THAT amusing.  Pat knowing the specific species of the bird, and caring about it, despite the fact that it's clearly a ridiculous thing to do, is pretty good also.  But overall, it's just kind of meh.  I feel like maybe there's a good idea in there somewhere, but it would take a little more dialogue to get it out.

Meh!
Title: July 19, 2005 - Cymulon
Post by: St_Zartan on July 19, 2005, 03:00:43 pm
WHOOOOOOOSH

Way to miss the point there fellas

Mudokon was saying that the ostensible punchline, "PBS programming is for assholes like Pat", was not a very good one.

I think this strip was more about the little bits of business peripheral to the, er, joke. "...you still don't watch Trials of Honour".
Title: July 19, 2005 - Cymulon
Post by: cellardoor on July 19, 2005, 06:37:30 pm
Fuck.
Just look at that last panel man.
That's real nice.
Title: July 19, 2005 - Cymulon
Post by: MSC on July 19, 2005, 08:02:41 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
WHOOOOOOOSH

I think this strip was more about the little bits of business peripheral to the, er, joke. "...you still don't watch Trials of Honour".


I concur.
Title: July 19, 2005 - Cymulon
Post by: ferocious j on July 19, 2005, 08:06:08 pm
It also offers some insight into why Pat (even in nice-guy form) would choose to wear a cape.  He's living the dream.
Title: July 19, 2005 - Cymulon
Post by: V-Adore on July 19, 2005, 08:16:40 pm
The bits are okay, I suppose. I just... eh. The bits aren't quite strong enough to make it a bit-only strip, and the actual punchline is kind of lukewarm/not-present. This really feels like a first draft to me.
Title: July 19, 2005 - Cymulon
Post by: Ben-San on July 19, 2005, 08:36:15 pm
I don't think this is PBS. It doesn't feel like a PBS program to me.

Trials of Honour appeals to Pat because it's all about what it once meant to be a gentleman. Which is to say, being right while everyone else is wrong and/or poor.
Title: July 19, 2005 - Cymulon
Post by: jough on July 19, 2005, 08:41:57 pm
Quote from: "Ben-San"
I don't think this is PBS. It doesn't feel like a PBS program to me.


Dude, it's pretty clearly being aired on KQED:

http://www.kqed.org
Title: July 19, 2005 - Cymulon
Post by: Ben-San on July 19, 2005, 09:03:11 pm
Oh. Well, then I lose for not recognizing a real PBS station. I guess I just assumed it was yet another Achewood Made-Up Thing.

..I still don't think it feels like PBS programming, but maybe West Coast PBS is different from East Coast PBS.
Title: July 19, 2005 - Cymulon
Post by: AlohaDawg on July 19, 2005, 09:28:09 pm
Nice one. Alistair Cooke is even hosting.
Title: July 19, 2005 - Cymulon
Post by: Doc on July 20, 2005, 02:13:04 pm
Quote from: "Ben-San"
Trials of Honour appeals to Pat because it's all about what it once meant to be a gentleman. Which is to say, being right while everyone else is wrong and/or poor.


I think Ben-San has nailed it here, I was having trouble seeing why Pay would watch such a show but I think this is it. Similar to why he is a master swing dancer.
Title: July 19, 2005 - Cymulon
Post by: foolio on July 20, 2005, 08:12:39 pm
all you whiners are wrong. This strip rocks.
Title: July 19, 2005 - Cymulon
Post by: Doc on July 21, 2005, 03:10:29 am
addendum to why this strip rocks: 'Teevee'
Title: July 19, 2005 - Cymulon
Post by: antioch on July 21, 2005, 07:31:10 am
Pat and Pete are like negative RB and Ray. One is apparently self-confident and brash, and the other is unstable and quiet. RB and Ray are cats you want to hang out with, while the other two you'd avoid at cost. Maybe this goes back to V-adore's thing about the first draft - but Pete's dialogue has, for the first time, reminded me of Beef.

Also "fare...thee...NOT...well." Awesome.
Title: July 19, 2005 - Cymulon
Post by: Formica on July 21, 2005, 05:10:12 pm
Quote from: "antioch"
Pat and Pete are like negative RB and Ray. One is apparently self-confident and brash, and the other is unstable and quiet.

The recent interactions between Pete and Pat, while welcome, ruin the image that had been created for me by Pat and Teodor's blog entries regarding Pete's behavior. I was much more tickled by the idea of Pat constantly living in fear of another one of Pete's outbursts or cruelty-based therapies for hearburn.
Title: July 19, 2005 - Cymulon
Post by: AlohaDawg on July 21, 2005, 05:30:59 pm
Pat's in the closet. That's why he hates Aaaaaarthur's gayness. He and Nice Pete are having relations.
Title: July 19, 2005 - Cymulon
Post by: CortJstr on July 21, 2005, 05:53:11 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Pat's in the closet. That's why he hates Aaaaaarthur's gayness. He and Nice Pete are having relations.

We never did see Pat's reaction when NP asked (http://www.achewood.com/?date=04032003), "Do you think that it is bad for a man to give another man kisses or do you agree that it is okay?"
Title: July 19, 2005 - Cymulon
Post by: Null on July 21, 2005, 08:30:12 pm
The one time I have something of importance to say and the "so-called" Achewood Forum is down.

Well, rest assured I have begun a search for legal recourse to correct this situation and to bring those responsible to justice.  I may well pursue my dream of seeing that all IT "professionals" have their salary lowered by law.

--Pat Reynolds
Title: July 19, 2005 - Cymulon
Post by: CortJstr on July 21, 2005, 08:37:25 pm
Quote from: "Null"
The one time I have something of importance to say and the "so-called" Achewood Forum is down.

When this happened was anybody else worried that their workplace had finally blocked the forum?
Title: July 19, 2005 - Cymulon
Post by: V-Adore on July 21, 2005, 08:49:41 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "Null"
The one time I have something of importance to say and the "so-called" Achewood Forum is down.

When this happened was anybody else worried that their workplace had finally blocked the forum?

Terrified, actually. And then I realized they hadn't yet blocked LJ, which meant I was probably okay. And then it came back up, God bless it and keep it.

That didn't really have a lot of point.
Title: July 19, 2005 - Cymulon
Post by: arkabee on July 21, 2005, 11:04:48 pm
Quote from: "Null"
The one time I have something of importance to say and the "so-called" Achewood Forum is down.

Well, rest assured I have begun a search for legal recourse to correct this situation and to bring those responsible to justice.  I may well pursue my dream of seeing that all IT "professionals" have their salary lowered by law.

--Pat Reynolds


null is today's winner.
Title: July 19, 2005 - Cymulon
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on July 21, 2005, 11:28:27 pm
Quote from: "antioch"
Pat and Pete are like negative RB and Ray. One is apparently self-confident and brash, and the other is unstable and quiet. RB and Ray are cats you want to hang out with, while the other two you'd avoid at cost. Maybe this goes back to V-adore's thing about the first draft - but Pete's dialogue has, for the first time, reminded me of Beef.

Also "fare...thee...NOT...well." Awesome.


I think Onstad, perhaps unconsciously, is picking different Meyers-Briggs combinations for his characters, then pairing the Introvert/Extrovert versions of each other as same-species duo.

For example,
Roast Beef and Ray: INTP/ENTP cat
Nice Pete and Pat: INFJ/ENFJ cat
Mr. Bear and Teodor: ISTP/ESTP stuffed bear
Blister and Todd: ISFJ/ESFJ squirrel


THINK ABOUT IT WHY ARE THERE NO MORE THAN SIXTEEN RECURRING CHARACTERS
Title: July 19, 2005 - Cymulon
Post by: CortJstr on July 22, 2005, 12:13:15 am
So who's me (ISTJ)? BTW, has anybody taken the Kingdomality test? They just took the 16 Meyers-Briggs types and attached Medeivaly professions to them. I'm the Black Knight.
Title: July 19, 2005 - Cymulon
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on July 22, 2005, 12:26:30 am
Quote from: "CortJstr"
So who's me (ISTJ)? BTW, has anybody taken the Kingdomality test? They just took the 16 Meyers-Briggs types and attached Medeivaly professions to them. I'm the Black Knight.


Fare the NOT well, CortJster...

Fare the NOT well.


--
The ENTP you've come to trust
Title: July 19, 2005 - Cymulon
Post by: andalucia on July 22, 2005, 02:40:15 am
I'm INTJ (read: obcessive-compulsive hermit)

And I just took the medieval thing and it told me I am a Discoverer.  I'm one step away from being a pirate.
Title: July 19, 2005 - Cymulon
Post by: V-Adore on July 22, 2005, 03:38:30 am
Link to the Kingdomality test?

When I was younger, I scored as INFP pretty consistently, but these days I tend to waver between F and T with some frequency. I've also got less extreme on the others. Eventually, I will become a Meyers-Briggs blog. Yay!
Title: July 19, 2005 - Cymulon
Post by: jough on July 22, 2005, 06:16:20 am
Yeah, I'm ENTP, but have no idea where I stand as a Medieval figure.
Title: July 19, 2005 - Cymulon
Post by: AlohaDawg on July 22, 2005, 08:03:41 am
I turned out to be the White Knight. Go Figure.

I took the myers briggs this afternoon at work and I was ENTJ. Like Franklin Roosevelt, Richard Nixon and Norman Schwatzkopf. Not bad company.

This evening, I took the same test at home, and I'm ESTP - Ernest Hemingway, Chuck Yeager, Jack Nicholson, Bruce Willis. Looking at the explanations, I think it's more likely I'm ESTP than ENTJ.
Title: July 19, 2005 - Cymulon
Post by: CortJstr on July 22, 2005, 12:44:20 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Link to the Kingdomality test?

When I was younger, I scored as INFP pretty consistently, but these days I tend to waver between F and T with some frequency. I've also got less extreme on the others. Eventually, I will become a Meyers-Briggs blog. Yay!

www.kingdomality.com

When I was in 9th grade I was part of a psych experiment where we had to take several tests including Meyers-Briggs and they told us our results and that our workgroups were being purposely mismatched. However we also had to take the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Multiphasic_Personality_Inventory) and we never did find out our results for that.
Title: July 19, 2005 - Cymulon
Post by: Lister on July 22, 2005, 01:32:33 pm
Kingdomality called me a Prime Minister, which I suppose is cool.  I'm an INTP or INTJ, generally testing on the borderline between them (On one online test, I couldn't decide on one question so I tried it both ways... turned out that was the tipping point).

According to Keirsey.com (http://keirsey.com/personality/nt.html), that makes me either an Architect or a Mastermind.  Either one sounds okay to me, except I like to think I'm not as boring as Ayn Rand.
Title: July 19, 2005 - Cymulon
Post by: CortJstr on July 22, 2005, 02:41:22 pm
For the curious here are all the professions I've found. I'm fairly sure these are the only 12 so it's not an exact Meyers-Briggs mapping. I bounce between Black Knight and Merchant.

1.  http://www.cmi-lmi.com/benruler.html
2.  http://www.cmi-lmi.com/bishop.html
3.  http://www.cmi-lmi.com/bknight.html
4.  http://www.cmi-lmi.com/discover.html
5.  http://www.cmi-lmi.com/doctor.html
6.  http://www.cmi-lmi.com/engineer.html
7.  http://www.cmi-lmi.com/merchant.html
8.  http://www.cmi-lmi.com/minstrel.html
9.  http://www.cmi-lmi.com/prime.html
10. http://www.cmi-lmi.com/scientist.html
11. http://www.cmi-lmi.com/shepherd.html
12. http://www.cmi-lmi.com/wknight.html
Title: July 19, 2005 - Cymulon
Post by: acoxcae on July 22, 2005, 04:17:29 pm
What Lister said, although apparently I'm fairly solidy INTJ.  And a prime minister.

I can tell that I need to start actively seeking work to do while at my place of employment when I've taken 3 personality tests and not done much else.

Of course, there's a lot to be said for having no actual assignments.
Title: July 19, 2005 - Cymulon
Post by: wombat on July 22, 2005, 05:09:19 pm
I've never taken the Myers-Briggs, but I knew my type was INTJ by reading this link, which I got from our lovely Linnea's blog.  I recommend it to you, acoxcae, because if it doesn't make you mad it will make you laugh so hard.

http://oblivio.com/archives/05012701.html
Title: July 19, 2005 - Cymulon
Post by: CortJstr on July 22, 2005, 05:29:49 pm
I come up as INTJ sometimes and ISTJ often. I seems to depend on phrasing of the questions but damn does that describe me. For example I never say anything when people sneeze because I don't see the point. I'm mildly annoyed when people bless me after my sneezes.
Title: July 19, 2005 - Cymulon
Post by: acoxcae on July 22, 2005, 05:31:22 pm
Who's an asshole?

Me.  (I am.)


That is some spot-on research there, wombat - and I'm laughing, so it worked.  Thank you, for enlivening my day - I'm going to wander around now, seeing straight through my coworkers and thinking they're inadequate - hey, it's Friday!
Title: July 19, 2005 - Cymulon
Post by: CortJstr on July 22, 2005, 05:53:15 pm
Quote from: "acoxcae"
That is some spot-on research there, wombat - and I'm laughing, so it worked.  Thank you, for enlivening my day - I'm going to wander around now, seeing straight through my coworkers and thinking they're inadequate - hey, it's Friday!

Dear coworkers,

Re: Friday

Fuck you.

Signed,
INTJ
Title: July 19, 2005 - Cymulon
Post by: jough on July 22, 2005, 06:01:16 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"

www.kingdomality.com


I'm a Discoverer (http://www.cmi-lmi.com/discover.html) according to that (rather brief) test.
Title: July 19, 2005 - Cymulon
Post by: Gimpson on July 22, 2005, 06:16:06 pm
Engineer/Builder and INTP.  

I will be putting my engineering skills to the test as I attempt to repair my A/C unit tonight.  (Again)
Title: July 19, 2005 - Cymulon
Post by: Null on July 22, 2005, 06:49:01 pm
I'm a Discoverer.  One of the things I discovered was that the "Pink Palace" is for sale.    This was at the bottom of the test.

I was too scared of euphemisms to actually click on the sale.
Title: July 19, 2005 - Cymulon
Post by: Va on July 22, 2005, 07:41:51 pm
You guys know that Myers-Briggs typing is only marginally more scientific than astrological sun signs, right?  Just checking.

I consistantly test as an INTP.  The I and T are strong preferences, but the N and P are weak.
Title: July 19, 2005 - Cymulon
Post by: Lister on July 22, 2005, 07:53:11 pm
Quote from: "Va"
You guys know that Myers-Briggs typing is only marginally more scientific than astrological sun signs, right?  Just checking.


At least the MBTI doesn't label me as a Cancer...

(Also I envy your proximity to Milo's Tea, but that's another thread.)

(Also I screwed up the quote tag but I fixed it now.)
Title: July 19, 2005 - Cymulon
Post by: CortJstr on July 22, 2005, 07:56:30 pm
This does remind of a thread back on Dumbrella like 2 crashes ago. People made mock answers to those "Which Buffy character are you"-style quizzes where the answer provides a jpeg should you be the kind of ass who likes to put those in their sig. So people would make up an image for a test like that. Some were really funny. Mine, however, was "You are: The OBX sticker." Then had like 2 sentences explaining how lame you must be to fall into that particular fad. Lamer than Big Johnson, slightly less so than M.R. Ducks.
Title: July 19, 2005 - Cymulon
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on July 22, 2005, 09:56:39 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
This does remind of a thread back on Dumbrella like 2 crashes ago. People made mock answers to those "Which Buffy character are you"-style quizzes where the answer provides a jpeg should you be the kind of ass who likes to put those in their sig. So people would make up an image for a test like that. Some were really funny. Mine, however, was "You are: The OBX sticker." Then had like 2 sentences explaining how lame you must be to fall into that particular fad. Lamer than Big Johnson, slightly less so than M.R. Ducks.


The alt text to your post would say: "Actually, CortJstr scored as Parachute #####"
Title: July 19, 2005 - Cymulon
Post by: ferocious j on July 26, 2005, 12:15:53 am
Quote from: "CortJstr"
This does remind of a thread back on Dumbrella like 2 crashes ago. People made mock answers to those "Which Buffy character are you"-style quizzes where the answer provides a jpeg should you be the kind of ass who likes to put those in their sig. So people would make up an image for a test like that.

I found the one I did:

(http://automatedredemption.com/flavorcountry/images/2005/butterscotch.gif)

I don't remember what the accompanying text was, though.
Title: July 19, 2005 - Cymulon
Post by: Bozack on July 26, 2005, 12:35:17 am
Apparently I am a dreamer/minstrel, which is, in my mind, a HUGE insult. MINSTREL? Jesus fuck*ng christ.
And I'm ENTJ in the Meyers-Briggs.
And thank you, Va, for once again KILLING JOY.
Title: July 19, 2005 - Cymulon
Post by: AugustWest on July 26, 2005, 12:52:10 am
I'm a Benevolent Ruler, which seems oddly appropriate.
Title: July 19, 2005 - Cymulon
Post by: CortJstr on July 27, 2005, 01:07:26 am
Quote from: "ferocious j"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
This does remind of a thread back on Dumbrella like 2 crashes ago. People made mock answers to those "Which Buffy character are you"-style quizzes where the answer provides a jpeg should you be the kind of ass who likes to put those in their sig. So people would make up an image for a test like that.

I found the one I did:
[image]
I don't remember what the accompanying text was, though.

Thank you FeroJ for proving I'm not insane and that despite my example some of them were actually funny. Truly, you are Carnation Instant Awesome.