The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: V-Adore on July 21, 2005, 07:08:37 pm

Title: New Art Auction -- Terrible High School Portraits
Post by: V-Adore on July 21, 2005, 07:08:37 pm
Now this is a pretty neat art-auction concept. I like the paintings themselves, although of course the cost is way too rich for my college-student blood. There's even a Playboy thrown in, which is a nice touch.

Anyone in the running for these babies?
Title: New Art Auction -- Terrible High School Portraits
Post by: andalucia on July 21, 2005, 08:23:54 pm
Man, I don't know.  I do not really think painting is the thing that Onstad should be doing or rather that it is his forte in any way, and what I'm saying is that these strike me as quite phoned in.
Title: New Art Auction -- Terrible High School Portraits
Post by: Mantonio on July 21, 2005, 08:28:38 pm
I think these are perfectly serviceable paintings. Not at all surprised Beef owned a Science Diet t-shirt when he was a pimply lad.
Title: New Art Auction -- Terrible High School Portraits
Post by: V-Adore on July 21, 2005, 08:30:03 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
Man, I don't know.  I do not really think painting is the thing that Onstad should be doing or rather that it is his forte in any way, and what I'm saying is that these strike me as quite phoned in.

I like them quite a lot in small doses. I definitely don't think Onstad should be doing them all the time -- his writing is what really shines -- and I think you have a point in that painting seems like it's just translating his strip art. That said, I appreciate it for what it is.
Title: New Art Auction -- Terrible High School Portraits
Post by: AlohaDawg on July 21, 2005, 08:52:01 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
Man, I don't know.  I do not really think painting is the thing that Onstad should be doing or rather that it is his forte in any way, and what I'm saying is that these strike me as quite phoned in.


In the sense that they probably won't find their way to the Louvre, i suppose. I never had a lot of respect for Andy Warhol as a "Painter" but I do have a print of his because it represents a pop-culture era and/or meme....Interesting,  yes, but representative of concepts that have nothing at all to do with the content.

I think these paintings would represent to the buyer something else beyond "art piece"...that's what I see.
Title: New Art Auction -- Terrible High School Portraits
Post by: jough on July 21, 2005, 10:30:02 pm
Yeah, I get the impression that people buy Onstad's paintings not because they love the paintings but because they like the comic and want to buy an original onstad painting before he sells out and starts making animated tv specials and the value of his work inflates as its quality decreases.

Or rather continues to decrease.
Title: New Art Auction -- Terrible High School Portraits
Post by: arkabee on July 21, 2005, 11:03:17 pm
if i could paint, i would paint all the time.
i bet it would be really fun,
to paint.

if i painted a lot,
i'd like people to talk about my paintings.
but,
why would they want to talk about me?

i wish i could paint.
Title: New Art Auction -- Terrible High School Portraits
Post by: Va on July 21, 2005, 11:47:00 pm
I love them, especially Beef.
Title: New Art Auction -- Terrible High School Portraits
Post by: wombat on July 22, 2005, 01:37:52 am
There will never be another painting like the one of Beef drifting through the starry sky in his nightshirt.   That being said, the Science Diet T-shirt made my pathetic day.