The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: jough on July 21, 2005, 07:23:44 pm

Title: Think This One Out, Kid - 21 July 2005
Post by: jough on July 21, 2005, 07:23:44 pm
Gotta love Lie Bot and Philippe, although this one is hardly up to standards.

Seriously, Chris - S A B B A T I C A L.

Say it with me.  What's next, Lie Bot pushing Philippe off of a table, or shipping him to Abu Dhabi?
Title: Think This One Out, Kid - 21 July 2005
Post by: CortJstr on July 21, 2005, 07:28:16 pm
Now I'm curious why he was digging the hole to begin with. I guess he was just that bored.

Does anybody else have the song Ana Ng stuck in their heads because of this strip?
Title: Think This One Out, Kid - 21 July 2005
Post by: jough on July 21, 2005, 07:32:10 pm
Also, why the stale Justin Wilson reference?
Title: Think This One Out, Kid - 21 July 2005
Post by: Gimpson on July 21, 2005, 07:46:36 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Now I'm curious why he was digging the hole to begin with. I guess he was just that bored.


Did you not dig holes when you were five?  I'm surprised I never severed a buried utility line of some sort for all the holes I dug.
Title: Think This One Out, Kid - 21 July 2005
Post by: mudokon on July 21, 2005, 08:17:30 pm
Yeah, you know, I've been lurking on this board since October, or whenever Onstad started posting here. At first I thought that everyone was unreasonably harsh on the comics. But now that I'm commenting on (nearly) each day's comic, it's easier for me to realize that there just often isn't a lot of praise you can heap on these individual strips. I think they really do read better in the archives, where you can briskly skip over the mediocre strips and eventually land on one that truly makes you laugh.

So, not a lot to say about this strip.
Title: Think This One Out, Kid - 21 July 2005
Post by: acoxcae on July 21, 2005, 08:19:30 pm
While there may not be a lot to say on the comic itself, aside from what's been said IN the comic, I like it a lot.  At first it's just Lie Bot being a dick, as he is wont to do, but then he turns it around, and I can just imagine Philippe just standing there, furiously debating himself for hours.

After all, he's a former Presidential candidate, he's got to consider the foreign policy angle - this could be HUGE.
Title: Think This One Out, Kid - 21 July 2005
Post by: V-Adore on July 21, 2005, 08:24:16 pm
I like Lie Bot/Philippe strips, but this is kind of eh. It's not really an interesting Lie Bot lie.

Maybe I should take a couple days off, see if my perspective gets any better. Ash might have the right idea.
Title: Think This One Out, Kid - 21 July 2005
Post by: andalucia on July 21, 2005, 08:25:37 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Also, why the stale Justin Wilson reference?


Please explain.  Google tells me he is a "Cajun cook and humorist" and/or drives cars real fast.

I enjoyed when the young otter said "Marvelous".
Title: Think This One Out, Kid - 21 July 2005
Post by: CortJstr on July 21, 2005, 08:40:45 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
Quote from: "jough"
Also, why the stale Justin Wilson reference?

Please explain.  Google tells me he is a "Cajun cook and humorist" and/or drives cars real fast.

I enjoyed when the young otter said "Marvelous".

He was referring to Lie Bot saying "I ga-ron-tee" in a New Orleans accent. I didn't recognize the guy's name but as soon as I saw cajun I knew exactly who he meant.

The debate above re: comments on a particular strip perfectly illustrate why we don't lock wandering threads but encourage them.
Title: Think This One Out, Kid - 21 July 2005
Post by: jough on July 21, 2005, 08:41:35 pm
He was a Cajun-themed cook who had a show on PBS, and used to say things like "Dis hawt sauce'll spice thing up I gar-on-tee!"

He had numerous cookbooks and pretty much single-handedly made Tabasco Sauce a regular fixture in many households.  This was back in the 80s when the only condiments on hand for most North Americans were katsup, mustard, mayo, and maybe A1 or Worchestershire sauce for steak.
Title: Think This One Out, Kid - 21 July 2005
Post by: AlohaDawg on July 21, 2005, 08:44:04 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"

The debate above re: comments on a particular strip perfectly illustrate why we don't lock wandering threads but encourage them.


Some of us more than others. I still think there is a lot of premature lockination going on around here.
Title: Think This One Out, Kid - 21 July 2005
Post by: St_Zartan on July 21, 2005, 09:05:12 pm
(http://www.avatarproductions.com/assets/images/chefp2.jpg)

I thought Paul Prudhomme is /was the guy who guarantees.

My family has about a million of those cookbooks.

Also, if anyone ever had the "Cooking with Dom DeLuise" CD-ROM that came out in the mid-90's, wow. Just ... wow.
Title: Think This One Out, Kid - 21 July 2005
Post by: AlohaDawg on July 21, 2005, 09:12:17 pm
I Ga-ron-tee (http://www.justinwilson.com/audio/guarnte2a.wav)

Click above  to hear it.


Click below to see it.

Justin Wilson (http://www.justinwilson.com/)

Justin Wilson had 27 albums - he had careers in radio and TV as a humorist before he found himself on PBS.
Title: Think This One Out, Kid - 21 July 2005
Post by: antioch on July 21, 2005, 10:34:03 pm
Thanks for pointing out that reference. Looks like Lie Bot is exploiting Philippe's love (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=10282002) for tv chefs. (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=06242005)
Title: Think This One Out, Kid - 21 July 2005
Post by: arkabee on July 21, 2005, 10:58:00 pm
Quote from: "antioch"
Thanks for pointing out that reference. Looks like Lie Bot is exploiting Philippe's love (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=10282002) for tv chefs. (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=06242005)


what a marvelous thread.
i would never, on my own, have come to that conclusion.
ever.


i just leaned back in my chair, and there is a beeeeeg spider on the ceiling.


--
edit-
Quote from: "gimpson"
Phillipe shows an amazing grasp of geopolitics for a stuffed otter who is five and/or retarded.


now it's even a better, better thread.
Title: Think This One Out, Kid - 21 July 2005
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on July 22, 2005, 01:03:53 am
Quote from: "arkabee"
Quote from: "antioch"
Thanks for pointing out that reference. Looks like Lie Bot is exploiting Philippe's love (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=10282002) for tv chefs. (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=06242005)


what a marvelous thread.
i would never, on my own, have come to that conclusion.
ever.


i just leaned back in my chair, and there is a beeeeeg spider on the ceiling.


--
edit-
Quote from: "gimpson"
Phillipe shows an amazing grasp of geopolitics for a stuffed otter who is five and/or retarded.


now it's even a better, better thread.


TO ADDRESS YOU MR JOUGH CHRIS ONSTAD IS THE GRIT THAT MAKES THIS BOARD THE PEARL THAT IT IS
Title: Think This One Out, Kid - 21 July 2005
Post by: AugustWest on July 22, 2005, 10:00:50 pm
I am not surprised to see Justin Wilson show up in Achewood given that he is the proto-Emeril.
Title: Think This One Out, Kid - 21 July 2005
Post by: AlohaDawg on July 22, 2005, 11:23:08 pm
Hmmm...not Graham Kerr?