The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: AlohaDawg on July 22, 2005, 07:51:33 am

Title: Like, to the Doctor! Friday, July 22, 2005
Post by: AlohaDawg on July 22, 2005, 07:51:33 am
I really like the flashback strips, I almost always find them funny.

The Alt-Text is pretty funny too.
Title: Like, to the Doctor! Friday, July 22, 2005
Post by: R-Machine on July 22, 2005, 08:12:33 am
The alt-text is funny. I'm not sure we need Roast Beef's Circumstances made any clearer, though.  Or perhaps the flashbacks could at least be directed at areas of interest, like "how Roast Beef and Ray met" instead just random Beef abuse.
Title: Like, to the Doctor! Friday, July 22, 2005
Post by: JeremyW on July 22, 2005, 08:32:01 am
I had to Wiki Clamato we don't have it in NZ as far as I know.
Title: Like, to the Doctor! Friday, July 22, 2005
Post by: jough on July 22, 2005, 08:40:46 am
Pat's mom is a dick too.

This one didn't really make me laugh, although Ray doesn't fall far from the tree, evidently.  You can see where his hospitality came from.

The second half of the strip falls a little flat with just random Beef abuse, but the alt-text made me laugh (out loud!) which is tough to do at 4:30AM.

So bravo, Mr. Onstad.  

Hey, when the man's on, he's on.  It's too bad the whole strip isn't as good as  its better parts.  

Having said all of that, I've really been enjoying the semi-daily baby updates.  It's pretty obvious where Onstad's heart is at this time - with his new baby instead of the old one.  And that seems right.  

MONDAY: Sgt. Snorkel is mad at Roast Beef for sleeping on the job, and Ray makes googley eyes at Miss Buxley.
Title: Like, to the Doctor! Friday, July 22, 2005
Post by: Immortal on July 22, 2005, 09:56:18 am
beef is so poor his uniform doesn't even match everyone else. how sad
Title: Like, to the Doctor! Friday, July 22, 2005
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on July 22, 2005, 12:37:17 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Pat's mom is a dick too.

This one didn't really make me laugh, although Ray doesn't fall far from the tree, evidently.  You can see where his hospitality came from.

The second half of the strip falls a little flat with just random Beef abuse, but the alt-text made me laugh (out loud!) which is tough to do at 4:30AM.

So bravo, Mr. Onstad.  

Hey, when the man's on, he's on.  It's too bad the whole strip isn't as good as  its better parts.  

Having said all of that, I've really been enjoying the semi-daily baby updates.  It's pretty obvious where Onstad's heart is at this time - with his new baby instead of the old one.  And that seems right.  

MONDAY: Sgt. Snorkel is mad at Roast Beef for sleeping on the job, and Ray makes googley eyes at Miss Buxley.


Ignore Jough! He's only doing this to ruin the drinking game! Out of SPITE!  :lol:
Title: Like, to the Doctor! Friday, July 22, 2005
Post by: CortJstr on July 22, 2005, 12:45:46 pm
I wasn't sure if Beef was supposed to be the equipment manager/trainer or if he just couldn't afford a uniform. I'm guessing the latter.
Title: Like, to the Doctor! Friday, July 22, 2005
Post by: andalucia on July 22, 2005, 01:51:44 pm
Oh no, I went back to look at it and the 'A' on his hat is totally drawn on.

I am very sad now.
Title: Like, to the Doctor! Friday, July 22, 2005
Post by: MSC on July 22, 2005, 02:08:53 pm
Quote from: "Immortal"
beef is so poor his uniform doesn't even match everyone else. how sad


Excellent detail.  I missed that.  

Also, Ray is being a dick here.  He did not stand up for beef.  Although maybe he was not at the game (hence the loss...Ray was not there to get nice hits).
Title: Like, to the Doctor! Friday, July 22, 2005
Post by: V-Adore on July 22, 2005, 02:21:07 pm
Yeah, I would like this better were the punchline not apparently Beef Comes From Circumstances in a fairly uninteresting and not-funny way. The Clamato gag is excellent, though.
Title: Like, to the Doctor! Friday, July 22, 2005
Post by: aparrish on July 22, 2005, 02:24:08 pm
Agreed - I'm just not sure if the payoff justifies the, uh, cruelty.  (So get this! This young boy is so poor that he cannot get medical care!  Hahaha!  Woo!)
Title: Like, to the Doctor! Friday, July 22, 2005
Post by: V-Adore on July 22, 2005, 02:36:39 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Having said all of that, I've really been enjoying the semi-daily baby updates.  It's pretty obvious where Onstad's heart is at this time - with his new baby instead of the old one.  And that seems right.  

Very true. This is why I'm inclined to give him some more leeway on strips that fall flat from day to day -- Achewood is not where his attention should really be right now. That said, I will start bellowing SELLOUT if and when he's obviously just putting effort into the merchandising and not the strip or the baby.
Title: Like, to the Doctor! Friday, July 22, 2005
Post by: editor on July 22, 2005, 03:06:04 pm
Oh my god, Beef thinks that having Coke AND Pepsi is something to celebrate...  that is so, so sad.
Title: Like, to the Doctor! Friday, July 22, 2005
Post by: cellardoor on July 22, 2005, 03:13:45 pm
A childs cruelty is never truly justified, poor Beef.
I like these "golden days" strips, almost as though we're flitting through Beef's subconscious.
Hey, at least Ray and Beef are still tight though. That says more about Ray's heart O' gold than his mom/mum's lunch basket.

Fall flat? Leeway?
Has Onstad been making you pay for the strip or is the internet suddenly lacking in over-analysis and whinging?
Sheesh.
Title: Like, to the Doctor! Friday, July 22, 2005
Post by: V-Adore on July 22, 2005, 03:18:59 pm
Quote from: "cellardoor"
Fall flat? Leeway?
Has Onstad been making you pay for the strip or is the internet suddenly lacking in over-analysis and whinging?
Sheesh.

There was just a new Harry Potter out, dude. The internet is not going to lack for overanalysis and whinging for months.
Title: Like, to the Doctor! Friday, July 22, 2005
Post by: cellardoor on July 22, 2005, 03:25:18 pm
Spoilers: Harry has pubics!
Title: Like, to the Doctor! Friday, July 22, 2005
Post by: acoxcae on July 22, 2005, 04:20:07 pm
Quote from: "editor"
Oh my god, Beef thinks that having Coke AND Pepsi is something to celebrate... that is so, so sad.


Dude, someone bringing Coke AND Pepsi is something to celebrate - that is a whole heck of a lot of excellence in one cooler.

As for Clamato, well, I understand Pat a little bit more now.

EXCELLENT STRIP< WOULD DO AGAIN A+++++++++
Title: Like, to the Doctor! Friday, July 22, 2005
Post by: side_show on July 22, 2005, 04:37:51 pm
I love that Ray's mom put Godiva in a kid's cooler.  Having once been the poor kid on scholarship at a private school full of rich kids, I can tell you that this sort of thing does happen.  I seem to remember being in grade 3 or 4 and being all "What's Almond Roca?"  True story kids, true story.

The dude comes from circumstances?  Agreed - it's totally "meh" to me.

And Clamato?  Is Pat's mom an Alchoholic?  I mean who has Clamato just sitting around?  

Also, I was sort of briefly creeped out by the heard of cat backs in uniforms.  A uniformed team of cats is a little jarring for me, for whatever reason.
Title: Like, to the Doctor! Friday, July 22, 2005
Post by: AlohaDawg on July 22, 2005, 05:41:32 pm
...but a face on shot of a REAL cat wearing a TIE is just fine....
Title: Like, to the Doctor! Friday, July 22, 2005
Post by: arkabee on July 22, 2005, 05:56:05 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "cellardoor"
Fall flat? Leeway?
Has Onstad been making you pay for the strip or is the internet suddenly lacking in over-analysis and whinging?
Sheesh.

There was just a new Harry Potter out, dude. The internet is not going to lack for overanalysis and whinging for months.


haha, heehee.

this thread might be funnier than the comic,
but not likely.

--

i hadn't noticed the drawn on "a", either, that's an excelletn touch.
Title: Like, to the Doctor! Friday, July 22, 2005
Post by: jough on July 22, 2005, 06:05:38 pm
Also, that is a nice rendition of the Igloo logo.

I Logo.  Igloo.  They'll have to rethink cities!

So is this part of corporate sponsorship / product placement or is Onstad just giving them a free plug because he likes the company?

I hopes my nigga is getting PAID.
Title: Like, to the Doctor! Friday, July 22, 2005
Post by: MSC on July 22, 2005, 06:16:16 pm
Quote from: "jough"
So is this part of corporate sponsorship / product placement or is Onstad just giving them a free plug because he likes the company?.


Perhaps he's showing just how well-off is the Smuckles family: they have a genuine Igloo cooler.  Not that Coleman crap.
Title: Like, to the Doctor! Friday, July 22, 2005
Post by: Null on July 22, 2005, 06:51:11 pm
Roast Beef and I share a lot in that we're depressed almost constantly.

But this is just getting more and more depressing.  I'm so depressed I can't decide if this is good or bad.  And that's depressing too.  Help!
Title: Like, to the Doctor! Friday, July 22, 2005
Post by: Mantonio on July 22, 2005, 07:25:22 pm
The alt.text would seem to indicate Pat was acquainted with Ray and Beef in childhood times. I wonder then why we've never seen anything of Pat in these flashback strips. What Circumstances did he come from to be suck a DICK? (Besides the clamato.)
Title: Like, to the Doctor! Friday, July 22, 2005
Post by: Lister on July 22, 2005, 07:38:42 pm
I can't think that Pat would have played baseball for more than a season.  He would probably think it was Boring and Dirty after his first game.  I can totally see him getting picked up immediately after school so that he could get home in time for his private <piano/violin> lesson.

He would basically have been that kid who was being Groomed for Better Things at school.  He wasn't there to make friends or hang out, he was there for Education.

At least, that's how the giant dicks I know got that way.
Title: Like, to the Doctor! Friday, July 22, 2005
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on July 22, 2005, 07:40:29 pm
Pat participated in regular childhood activities:

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=04102003
Title: Like, to the Doctor! Friday, July 22, 2005
Post by: Lister on July 22, 2005, 07:44:07 pm
Contradicted in mid-edit!  Curses!
Title: Like, to the Doctor! Friday, July 22, 2005
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on July 22, 2005, 07:45:10 pm
Quote from: "Lister"
Contradicted in mid-edit!  Curses!


CortJstr and I live within five miles of each other. There is something about living inside the Beltway that makes one wise to digging up facts to prove inconsistencies on demand. With this Presidential administration, we need it.
Title: Like, to the Doctor! Friday, July 22, 2005
Post by: CortJstr on July 22, 2005, 07:51:32 pm
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "Lister"
Contradicted in mid-edit!  Curses!

CortJstr and I live within five miles of each other. There is something about living inside the Beltway that makes one wise to digging up facts to prove inconsistencies on demand. With this Presidential administration, we need it.

Beltway Powers activate! Form of: a guy who's good at Google and is frequently bored at work!
Title: Like, to the Doctor! Friday, July 22, 2005
Post by: Lister on July 22, 2005, 07:58:11 pm
Frankly I was just too enamored of the ideal past I was inventing in my head to bother associating it with actual facts.

...

Wow, your Beltway powers must be all over that like an adjective on a thing that is often closely associated with that adjective.
Title: Like, to the Doctor! Friday, July 22, 2005
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on July 22, 2005, 09:50:36 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "Lister"
Contradicted in mid-edit!  Curses!

CortJstr and I live within five miles of each other. There is something about living inside the Beltway that makes one wise to digging up facts to prove inconsistencies on demand. With this Presidential administration, we need it.

Beltway Powers activate! Form of: a guy who's good at Google and is frequently bored at work!


MY GOD YOU ARE A GOVERNMENT CONTRACTOR TOO???

edit: we are TOTALLY going to start the DC Achecon with "Beltway Powers Unite!"
Title: Like, to the Doctor! Friday, July 22, 2005
Post by: Mantonio on July 23, 2005, 12:45:51 am
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Pat participated in regular childhood activities:

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=04102003


Ah, but Ray only refers to their youthful past. What I was refering to was a hypothetical strip where Onstad actually draws Pat, Beef and Ray scamin' each other for Capri Suns and Gettin' busted for drawin' Ramona Quimby doin' the Principal. You KNEW that and DELIBERATELY destorted my point. See you in court, PRICK.
Title: Like, to the Doctor! Friday, July 22, 2005
Post by: Noah on July 23, 2005, 04:59:59 am
Quote from: "editor"
Oh my god, Beef thinks that having Coke AND Pepsi is something to celebrate...  that is so, so sad.


i'm pretty sure that the dude to the left of beef is the one amazed at the coke and pepsi
Title: Like, to the Doctor! Friday, July 22, 2005
Post by: pmcd9 on July 25, 2005, 04:16:35 pm
Onstad is in such decline he said sarcastically, that one of his recent jokes has been written into the code of this fuck*ng board.  And it's funny every fuck*ng time I read it.

~Paul
Title: Like, to the Doctor! Friday, July 22, 2005
Post by: AlohaDawg on July 25, 2005, 06:35:56 pm
This topic seems popular enough to split...I mean, there are still cartoon cats to discuss...
Title: Like, to the Doctor! Friday, July 22, 2005
Post by: V-Adore on July 25, 2005, 07:17:49 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
This topic seems popular enough to split...I mean, there are still cartoon cats to discuss...

Split.