The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: robot_roll_call on July 25, 2005, 03:03:02 am

Title: 7-25-05- that kid.
Post by: robot_roll_call on July 25, 2005, 03:03:02 am
I would gladly put those stickers on my car.

True story: My dad used to have a Calvin peeing on a Dale Earnhardt #3 sticker. What Calvin peeing stickers have you or your loved ones had?
Title: 7-25-05- that kid.
Post by: Karva on July 25, 2005, 03:42:09 am
One time I saw a Calvin sticker but he wasn't pissing.  He was praying in front of a cross.

It was all sorts of WRONG.
Title: 7-25-05- that kid.
Post by: jough on July 25, 2005, 03:45:44 am
That fuck*ng guy.

That kid.

Also, seeing Calvin reminds me of how great comics can be.  I think I'll go read some old Calvin & Hobbes instead of reading Achewood.
Title: 7-25-05- that kid.
Post by: side_show on July 25, 2005, 03:59:41 am
I once saw a Calvin pissing on WB Tazmanian Devil sticker.  Very weird.  My SO has a Ralph picking his nose decal on the back of his truck, and I remember seeing it on one of our early dates and thinking "I will date this guy for a very long time."  Three years and a house later, I owe the decal thanks for so much happiness.
Title: 7-25-05- that kid.
Post by: V-Adore on July 25, 2005, 04:31:07 am
I just like that the Calvin in the stickers has the same devious expression he would have when, say, pissing on a Toyota, except that in this case he's doing it while washing his hands. Holy crap, he's using antibacterial soap! He's a renegade!

Also: "MY OTHER CAR IS... ME!" sort of wins for odd surreality of phrase.
Title: 7-25-05- that kid.
Post by: MattFish on July 25, 2005, 04:31:20 am
Always hated Calvin stickers, half from inordinate amounts of respect for Bill Watterson, and half from hating how the artists would always dress Calvin up like a greasy, trashy hick. After reading the comic for so long that image just didn't work in my head. What drives a person to desire an image of a 6 year old urinating on the back of their vehicle? Can't they just get a bumper sticker with a witty slogan?

Nice to see Philippe's car again. Reminds me of the "hot bloody fat" strip.
Title: 7-25-05- that kid.
Post by: Bozack on July 25, 2005, 04:39:34 am
I want to have a cross pissing on Calvin while he's praying sticker. That would rock.
Yeah, the best part about this one is Calvins face. And that it brings up the insanity of the whole Calvin pissing THING. I, umm...I like it.
Title: 7-25-05- that kid.
Post by: mudokon on July 25, 2005, 05:16:32 am
yeah, this was okay.
Title: 7-25-05- that kid.
Post by: starlight on July 25, 2005, 05:23:31 am
That 'MY OTHER CAR...IS ME!' bit made me think IT'S PEOPLE!
hm...

..and wow, from first glance I didn't notice he was washing his hands in the second image.. I guess it's always nice to be devious AND clean... that's the message.
Title: 7-25-05- that kid.
Post by: tcc on July 25, 2005, 07:10:02 am
I hope it still calls Philippe a huge fag.
Title: 7-25-05- that kid.
Post by: cellardoor on July 25, 2005, 08:10:52 am
Hee, good strip.
I'm kinda shocked Phillipe has one of Calvin peeing but then that's kinda neutralised by the washing of the hands. Nice.
In the UK very few people know of Calvin and Hobbes so these stickers are not prevalent. I get the joke anyway though.
Cos me am clevar.
Title: 7-25-05- that kid.
Post by: Doc on July 25, 2005, 10:50:29 am
To make this strip perfect for me phillipe would have had to make them himself, or more likely his mother sent them to him, preferably from church related organisation that cuts out calvin from the peeing stickers and pastes him in front of other stuff. To Promote Hygiene and Decency.

My other Car is Me perfectly captures the Phillipe thing of just kind of loosing the thread halfway through and then just saying the first thing that comes to mind so people don't think badly of him.
Title: 7-25-05- that kid.
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on July 25, 2005, 11:26:09 am
Thanks to this comic and thread, I can picture two things:

1) Jough reading through Calvin and Hobbes archives, pausing to note that Bill Watterson needs to stop making comics already because he's losing his edge.

2) This as the bass-laden tune blasting from Phillipe's speakers: this is what phillipe uses to cruise for tail (http://www.elder-gods.org/~mfarah/snappie.mp3)
Title: 7-25-05- that kid.
Post by: hungoverdrawn on July 25, 2005, 12:39:57 pm
Quote from: "cellardoor"
In the UK very few people know of Calvin and Hobbes so these stickers are not prevalent.

They're becoming more common, particularly in the football domain. Gillingham fans can buy a Calvin pissing on a Millwall shirt, and vice versa.
Title: 7-25-05- that kid.
Post by: evan on July 25, 2005, 12:46:52 pm
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
1) Jough reading through Calvin and Hobbes archives, pausing to note that Bill Watterson needs to stop making comics already because he's losing his edge.[/url]

Well, they read better when you're looking through the archive.
Title: 7-25-05- that kid.
Post by: Doc on July 25, 2005, 01:08:31 pm
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
this is what phillipe uses to cruise for tail


Jesus ***** ##### Christ, where did you *find* that? You are totally right and yet I hate you because that is going to be in my head for days, I can't believe I listened to the whole thing.
Title: 7-25-05- that kid.
Post by: CortJstr on July 25, 2005, 01:13:01 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
I want to have a cross pissing on Calvin while he's praying sticker. That would rock.
Yeah, the best part about this one is Calvins face. And that it brings up the insanity of the whole Calvin pissing THING. I, umm...I like it.

I want to meet the person with enough guts to have a Calvin pissing on a cross sticker on their car. It would be like those "you lost, get over it" stickers with the X'ed out conferderate flag. I've known several people who owned them but none had the testicular fortitude to put them on their cars.
Title: 7-25-05- that kid.
Post by: pmcd9 on July 25, 2005, 02:02:56 pm
We talked about this before.  I had been thinking (before the Calvin praying variant arrived) of what the inevitable Christian variation (there's always a Christian variation) on the Calvin pissing on a Chevy/Ford/Whatever.  I thought the perfect variation would be to replace Calvin with Jesus and replace Ford/Chevy/Whatever with "SIN".  Someone on this board (I can't remember who now) thought it was such a good idea they actually created it and offered it for sale on cafepress.  I bought one and gave it to my friend Kirk (http://www.paulmcrae.com/Miscellany/4th_LINDALE_PARADE_2005/images/DSCN6326-E-1024.jpg) who drives the Jesus Monkey (http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/DSCN2018_9_20_1_2-E-S-1024.jpg) car.  Sadly he never put the sticker on his car.

~Paul
Title: 7-25-05- that kid.
Post by: MSC on July 25, 2005, 02:09:14 pm
Quote from: "cellardoor"
Hee, good strip.
I'm kinda shocked Phillipe has one of Calvin peeing but then that's kinda neutralised by the washing of the hands.


Note also that Calvin is peeing into the toilet, where pee belongs.  Phillipe knows what it's all about.
Title: 7-25-05- that kid.
Post by: St_Zartan on July 25, 2005, 02:22:08 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"
I thought the perfect variation would be to replace Calvin with Jesus and replace Ford/Chevy/Whatever with "SIN".


I have seen this on the road (without the Calvin / Jesus substitution) at least once. There were other Bibley decals on the car, just to clear things up.

Quote from: "cellardoor"
In the UK very few people know of Calvin and Hobbes


You have got to be fu[size=0] [/size]cking kidding me. Hell, C&H re-runs ran in The West Australian (and for all I know, still are) right alongside Ginger Meggs.

Oh, and while I'm on the subject of British periodicals - your crosswords are insane. What the hell, people.
Title: 7-25-05- that kid.
Post by: jough on July 25, 2005, 02:31:41 pm
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Thanks to this comic and thread, I can picture two things:

1) Jough reading through Calvin and Hobbes archives, pausing to note that Bill Watterson needs to stop making comics already because he's losing his edge.


That's the thing - Waterson never lost his edge.  But when he thought he was, when he got sick of the crap he had to go through to make C&H, you know what he did?  He stopped doing it.

He also refused to make merchandise for Calvin & Hobbes.  All of those Calvin pissing on ANYTHING stickers are bootlegs.

The man was an artist.  

Onstad?  Well, I'll let YOU be the judge.

Quote

2) This as the bass-laden tune blasting from Phillipe's speakers: this is what phillipe uses to cruise for tail (http://www.elder-gods.org/~mfarah/snappie.mp3)


That sounds right, but soooooooo wrong.
Title: 7-25-05- that kid.
Post by: cellardoor on July 25, 2005, 03:03:18 pm
Replace "In the UK very few people know of Calvin and Hobbes" with "I know very few people in the UK".
Yay!
Title: 7-25-05- that kid.
Post by: Mantonio on July 25, 2005, 03:12:02 pm
Quote from: "Mattgiraffe"
What drives a person to desire an image of a 6 year old urinating on the back of their vehicle? Can't they just get a bumper sticker with a witty slogan?


Or save their money until they can afford a Big Johnson t-shirt?
Title: 7-25-05- that kid.
Post by: St_Zartan on July 25, 2005, 03:17:15 pm
Quote from: "Mantonio"
Quote from: "Mattgiraffe"
What drives a person to desire an image of a 6 year old urinating on the back of their vehicle? Can't they just get a bumper sticker with a witty slogan?


Or save their money until they can afford a Big Johnson t-shirt?


Christ, do they even still make those shirts? I was always amazed that they even existed, really - they were insanely popular when I was in high school, which meant that I was, quite literally, surrounded by people who made the following decision:

"Big Johnson Police Department: Spread 'Em! Or I'll Shoot My Load" is a message I would like to send all day long

Sometimes, I would try to imagine the "buy me this, Mom" conversation that led to actually owning one of those ridiculous goddamned things.
Title: 7-25-05- that kid.
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on July 25, 2005, 03:53:57 pm
Quote from: "Doc"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
this is what phillipe uses to cruise for tail


Jesus ##### ****** Christ, where did you *find* that? You are totally right and yet I hate you because that is going to be in my head for days, I can't believe I listened to the whole thing.


In typical no-way-to-really-describe-how-it-happened fashion, it came out of the following dialogue:

ME: "Yeah, I speak Dutch."
OTHER PERSON: "Really?"
ME: "Yeah, I had a concussion once."
Title: 7-25-05- that kid.
Post by: aparrish on July 25, 2005, 04:05:56 pm
I'm on the edge of my seat in anticipation!  What new car-decoration-related humor will Onstad treat us to next?

I'm hoping for something about spinning rims.
Title: 7-25-05- that kid.
Post by: Mantonio on July 25, 2005, 04:14:18 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Christ, do they even still make those shirts?


Yes (http://www.bigjohnson.com/cgi-bin/disppage_new.cgi?id=123&p=0), apparently they do.

Coed Naked (http://www.theoutdoorstores.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=TODS&Category_Code=c_n) too.

...as well as No Fear (http://www.nofeargear.com/nofear/dept.asp?dept_id=5004&?s_id=0&undefined)

It's like the 90's never ended.
Title: 7-25-05- that kid.
Post by: CortJstr on July 25, 2005, 04:17:56 pm
It makes me happy inside that Mosimo, once the official badge of coolness, is now pretty much only available at Target. Take that Middle School fashions! Also, what happened to Stussi?

For some reason my school banned Big Johnson but not Coed Naked or those shirts with various objects having sex in 15 different positions all over the shirt. The one with the VW Beetles was especially popular.
Title: 7-25-05- that kid.
Post by: pmcd9 on July 25, 2005, 04:25:18 pm
Quote from: "Mantonio"

It's like the 90's never ended.

It might be a little bit too soon, but you could be on the vanguard and be the first to start wearing this gear ironically.  Or hopefully, that will never happen.

~Paul
Title: 7-25-05- that kid.
Post by: St_Zartan on July 25, 2005, 04:37:30 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
It makes me happy inside that Mosimo, once the official badge of coolness, is now pretty much only available at Target. Take that Middle School fashions! Also, what happened to Stussi?


No idea, but I do remember a lot of said Middle School Fashions using / abusing umlauts, e.g. Stüssy, and I'm pretty sure that there was actually a Mossimo knock-off with a slightly different spelling and, you guessed it, an umlaut.

No Fear actually got a fuckin' pinball game. I'm pretty sure that flaming skull of theirs spurred you on to great heights of imaginary extreme sports risk-taking.

I'm pretty sure that if I ever see someone wearing a Hypercolor t-shirt and Z. Cavaricci p[size=0] [/size]ants in this day and age, ironically or otherwise, I will become unstuck in time like Billy Pilgrim and the last precious threads of my temporal bandwidth / sanity will just go bye-bye.
Title: 7-25-05- that kid.
Post by: Mantonio on July 25, 2005, 04:43:07 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Quote from: "Mantonio"

It's like the 90's never ended.

It might be a little bit too soon, but you could be on the vanguard and be the first to start wearing this gear ironically.  Or hopefully, that will never happen.

~Paul


I don't have the guts to do that. I think wearing a Hulkamaniac or A-Team t-shirt would be pushing it.
Title: 7-25-05- that kid.
Post by: Bozack on July 25, 2005, 05:08:28 pm
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"

2) This as the bass-laden tune blasting from Phillipe's speakers: this is what phillipe uses to cruise for tail (http://www.elder-gods.org/~mfarah/snappie.mp3)


That song reminds me a lot of this album (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00000ICL6/qid=1122311201/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl15/103-2287621-3135028?v=glance&s=music&n=507846). It's a childrens album by Nena. I have a copy. It is fuck*ng INSANE.
Title: 7-25-05- that kid.
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on July 25, 2005, 05:15:06 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"

2) This as the bass-laden tune blasting from Phillipe's speakers: this is what phillipe uses to cruise for tail (http://www.elder-gods.org/~mfarah/snappie.mp3)


That song reminds me a lot of this album (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00000ICL6/qid=1122311201/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl15/103-2287621-3135028?v=glance&s=music&n=507846). It's a childrens album by Nena. I have a copy. It is fuck*ng INSANE.



From the Amazon reviews, the translations of the titles would make a very good set of dialogue lines for the next German edition of Achewood.


- Freunde! ( Friends )
- Wir wollen nicht nur Schokolade. ( We Do Not Want Just Chocolate )
- Badespass! ( Fun in Bathing/Bath Fun )
- Ein Andenken? ( A Keepsake/Memento )
- Ich tanz' allein! ( I Dance Alone )
- Ein Gespenst... ( A Ghost/Specter )
- Der traurige Baer. ( The Sad Bear )
- Wir entspannen uns! ( We Relax Ourselves )
- Zwei Schmetterlinge auf einer Sommerwiese, ( Two Butterflies on a Summer Meadow )- - Maedchen vom Land! ( A Girl/Maiden from the Countryside )
- Wir haben 'ne Band!!! ( We Have a Band )
- Zum Abschied???( For Departure/Farewell )
Title: 7-25-05- that kid.
Post by: side_show on July 25, 2005, 05:37:22 pm
Thank you for my new sig.
Title: 7-25-05- that kid.
Post by: Null on July 25, 2005, 06:36:48 pm
Is this the same Nena that did that 99 Lead Balloons song, or whatever it might have been?

I know I could look it up, but that would be...wrong.
Title: 7-25-05- that kid.
Post by: DevinCybrus on July 25, 2005, 07:18:27 pm
Phillippe turns an inane statement of rebellion into an inane tutorial on how to use the potty.

I liked it.
Title: 7-25-05- that kid.
Post by: St_Zartan on July 25, 2005, 08:00:56 pm
Quote from: "Null"
that 99 Lead Balloons song


You have a gift. Don't waste it.
Title: 7-25-05- that kid.
Post by: pmcd9 on July 25, 2005, 08:10:24 pm
Quote from: "DevinCybrus"
Phillippe turns an inane statement of rebellion into an inane tutorial on how to use the potty.


Yes, yes, yes.  This is the comment I am never concise or eloquent enough to make.

Thread winner.

~Paul
Title: 7-25-05- that kid.
Post by: Doc on July 26, 2005, 11:04:30 am
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"

ME: "Yeah, I speak Dutch."
OTHER PERSON: "Really?"
ME: "Yeah, I had a concussion once."


Oh. Well thats perfectly reasonable then.