The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: Bozack on July 25, 2005, 05:16:06 am
-
Has anyone here read "V For Vendetta"? It's a really, really amazing graphic novel penned by Alan Moore, who wrote "From Hell," "Watchmen," and "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen." The League movie sucked on giant donkey balls, and so when I heard that there was going to be a V movie, I wept. When I heard that those Matrix fuckers were somehow involved, I gouged my own eyes out. But then the trailer came out...and it....looks....GOOD?
Check it. (http://vforvendetta.warnerbros.com/)
If you've read the book, you'll probably be amazed at how...accurate the movie seems. That is, that V isn't an unkillable ***** skatboarding chimp or some shit. Could this be another good comic book movie?
-
Yeah, well, I'm in the same boat, to an extent - A Scanner Darkly is my favorite PKD novel, and yet the trailer I've seen has actually left me optimistic.
I've read V a few times and, frankly, I don't think that the Wach(?). Bros. would intentionally do a bad job - they clearly love comics, seeing how blatantly they ripped off The Invisibles - but I would be surprised to see the series done justice, esp. since the protagonist(s) is / are terrorists and everything isn't wrapped up in neat black-and-white highly explosive smirkily sexy packages.
You'll be happy to know that a Watchmen movie has been proposed, greenlighted, and cancelled more times than Isaac Brock has said "it won't hurt, it's just like taking a big dump". I remember being like fuck[size=0] [/size]ing twelve years old and reading bits of a rumored leaked screenplay on fuck[size=0] [/size]ing Prodigy. Yeah, that Prodigy.
-
Also:
(http://www.calgarymovies.com/DVD/reviews/pics/mxp.jpg)
PUT THIS IN YOUR METAPHOR HOLE
-
The whole Watchmen thing just went through another cycle like last month, right?
All I want is a fuck*ng Rorschact action figure. JESUS.
-
Watchmen is currently canned. Again. Shame, too, I heard they had a very good screenplay and a director who really understood and cared about the material. Oh well.
-
I've never read the comic, but that trailer left me utterly nonplussed.
I'm still waiting for a Sandman film - written by Neil Gaiman (otherwise there's no point).
Well, hopefully the success of Sin City will have Hollywood clamouring to make ridiculously faithful comic adaptations.
Speaking of, I hope Rodriguez and Miller do a Dark Night Returns movie. That would be awesome. Think Mickey Rourke as Batman. Scarlett Johansson as Robin. John Malkovich as The Joker. Sharon Stone as Catwoman. Gary Oldman as Jim Gordon (he was great in Batman Begins). And Branon Routh seems to be a good Superman.
Oh, how about Vin Diesel as the leader of the mutants?
-
The Watchmen screenplay was written by Hayter - voice for Solid Snake. He's the one, apparently, responsible for the X-Men screenplay too.
I too saw that it was the Wachowski's doing it and began to cry, but, with any luck it won't be the steaming pile of shit that the second two Matrixs (feel wrong not saying matrices, though in writing it looks more like mattresses) turned out to be.
-
I'm aware of V but that's about it. I was a Marvel kid growing up. Which reminds me that I'm hearing lots of scary rumors about X-Men 3.
-
The X-Men franchise is dead. Singer is working on the new Superman which looks, well, super. (you can watch them make it via documentaries on their web site).
I guess the only way they could have made a poorer choice for helming the new X-Men film would be to have Michael Bay direct it. Shirts are for pussies.
-
The X-Men franchise is dead.
I've not heard this... Just last week Hugh Jackman was doing some publicity for The Fountain and he teased X3. (Mentioned here (http://www.cinematical.com/2005/07/17/comic-con-the-fountain-panel/).)
I heard that Kelsey Grammer was signed on to play Beast. Has the project fallen apart?
-
The X-Men franchise is dead.
I've not heard this... Just last week Hugh Jackman was doing some publicity for The Fountain and he teased X3. (Mentioned here (http://www.cinematical.com/2005/07/17/comic-con-the-fountain-panel/).)
I heard that Kelsey Grammer was signed on to play Beast. Has the project fallen apart?
Jough meant it's dead to him. They are making X3 but with a new director who has a different vision. One of the first announcements was that the new guy (I forget his name) is bringing in a female mutant whose power is seduction.
-
Jough meant it's dead to him. They are making X3 but with a new director who has a different vision. One of the first announcements was that the new guy (I forget his name) is bringing in a female mutant whose power is seduction.
IMDB doesn't list a director, but the writing team behind X-Men 3 has, previously, brought us films like Inspector Gadget, Elektra, and xXx: State of the Union, so hey! Those were all... movies!
Also, apparently they are making a Spy Hunter movie. With The Rock. I don't know what to think about this.
-
IMDB doesn't list a director, but the writing team behind X-Men 3 has, previously, brought us films like Inspector Gadget, Elektra, and xXx: State of the Union, so hey! Those were all... movies!
This is what I don't understand. How do these people keep getting WORK? I would assume that there are enough wannabe screenwriters that when you work on Elektra, and the movie turns out to be...ELEKTRA, for fucks sake, that you go back to waiting tables, because you suck. Why would people put these assclowns at the head of an amazing and profitable franchise?
-
IMDB doesn't list a director, but the writing team behind X-Men 3 has, previously, brought us films like Inspector Gadget, Elektra, and xXx: State of the Union, so hey! Those were all... movies!
This is what I don't understand. How do these people keep getting WORK? I would assume that there are enough wannabe screenwriters that when you work on Elektra, and the movie turns out to be...ELEKTRA, for fucks sake, that you go back to waiting tables, because you suck. Why would people put these assclowns at the head of an amazing and profitable franchise?
They give good head.
~Paul
-
Joss Whedon was talked to about making X-3. It would have been by far the best of the three were that the case, but they have a release date already so...
His run of Astonishing X-men was awesome! Looking forward to more. I can't remember who was now on to make 3, but it didn't sound promising. I still haven't seen 2 mind, and I wasn't exactly blown away by the first. It was good, just not anything special.
-
One of the first announcements was that the new guy (I forget his name) is bringing in a female mutant whose power is seduction.
Uhhhhh...nope nope nope nope nope nope. That's just no good t'all.
Just how the hell is that a mutant power? Besides, they already have Mystique....
-
This is what I don't understand. How do these people keep getting WORK?
Let's (not) look at Uwe Boll for a moment. How much has he just got to make Dungeon Seige is it? $60million?
-
The continuing ability of Uwe Boll to be paid for making movies astounds and saddens me. I've heard that the deal with him is that somehow his stuff is profitable just because he works amazingly cheaply -- he drops a little cash on a license, makes a movie super-cheap, and manages to make some kind of a profit regardless of how awful the film is. Sigh.
One of the first announcements was that the new guy (I forget his name) is bringing in a female mutant whose power is seduction.
Saddest. Thing.
-
I still haven't forgiven, nor will I ever forgive, Paul WS Anderson for Alien vs. Predator. That should have been a good movie. Or at least entertaining.
He's apparently working on Deathrace 3000 for next year. One of the commenters on its IMDB page (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0452608/) has this to say:
I plan on killing myself before this movie gets released.
-
The continuing ability of Uwe Boll to be paid for making movies astounds and saddens me. I've heard that the deal with him is that somehow his stuff is profitable just because he works amazingly cheaply -- he drops a little cash on a license, makes a movie super-cheap, and manages to make some kind of a profit regardless of how awful the film is. Sigh.
Apparently there's a loophole in German tax law that allows for some sort of deduction / windfall if you make a money-losing movie. It's German money cranking out these pictures.
"When I hear the word culture, I reach for my Browning" - incorrectly attributed to Hermann Göring
Man, Dr. Uwe Boll. I'm fascinated by the guy on so many levels - and I can't not like him, in a way. God, he's grinning and throwing a thumbs-up in, like, every known photograph; he is supremely untalented and a rip-off artist (before: he wanted more MATRIX-STYLE BULLET TIME; after: he wants a LORD OF THE RINGS-STYLE EPIC) and yet, he's got such goddamned enthusiasm for making his terrible Video Game Movies - he seems to realize, he must, somehow, how ridiculous he is and yet, in a sublime move, has decided simply not to fight it. Reading his interviews is a delightful experience: "I always wanted to fuck Jennifer Aniston. Now is the chance - hopefully – maybe."
He's like a palsied kid that traced a picture of his favorite cartoon character and fully expects to be rewarded and praised for his creativity and talent.
I still haven't forgiven, nor will I ever forgive, Paul WS Anderson for Alien vs. Predator. That should have been a good movie. Or at least entertaining.
I waited from the time I was a freshman in fuckin' high school for that movie to be made; not only did I not care when it finally came out, I was actually actively annoyed to be in the same room while my girlfriend was watching it. "You know what movie I like?" said the director, fondling the screenplay. "STARGATE."
-
Man, Dr. Uwe Boll. I'm fascinated by the guy on so many levels - and I can't not like him, in a way. God, he's grinning and throwing a thumbs-up in, like, every known photograph; he is supremely untalented and a rip-off artist (before: he wanted more MATRIX-STYLE BULLET TIME; after: he wants a LORD OF THE RINGS-STYLE EPIC) and yet, he's got such goddamned enthusiasm for making his terrible Video Game Movies - he seems to realize, he must, somehow, how ridiculous he is and yet, in a sublime move, has decided simply not to fight it. Reading his interviews is a delightful experience: "I always wanted to fuck Jennifer Aniston. Now is the chance - hopefully – maybe."
He's like a palsied kid that traced a picture of his favorite cartoon character and fully expects to be rewarded and praised for his creativity and talent.
Zartan would you please explain again, or perhaps for the first time, why you aren't being paid for your way with words. You totally entertain me even when I totally don't agree with you (not in this case).
~Paul
-
I still haven't forgiven, nor will I ever forgive, Paul WS Anderson for Alien vs. Predator. That should have been a good movie. Or at least entertaining.
I had read it as being Verhoeven back when it happened, which made sense. But then the only movie he made I have any time for is Event Horizon, so...
I had heard the DVD release of AVP might be better than the theatrical though as he did also get boned by the studio. Any comment?
-
Zartan would you please explain again, or perhaps for the first time, why you aren't being paid for your way with words. You totally entertain me even when I totally don't agree with you (not in this case).
Aw, shucks, dude. Thanks.
A lack of ambition and a two-year-old case writer's block, I guess.
I do aim to entertain, if nothing else.
I had read it as being Verhoeven back when it happened, which made sense. But then the only movie he made I have any time for is Event Horizon, so...
BLASPHEMY. (http://www.saintvespaluus.com/robocop-1000-2.jpeg)
-
Well, hopefully the success of Sin City will have Hollywood clamouring to make ridiculously faithful comic adaptations.
I hope it doesn't happen. While I'm sure Sin City's panel by panel faithfulness seems great now, I can see it becoming the ultimate tool for Hollywood laziness.
The studios could grind out tons of these movies in very short amounts of time since the hard parts like writing and storyboarding are essentially done for them. All they'd have to do is hire a big name cast, stick them in front of a blue screen, and get some no name director to make sure the cameras are rolling.
I'll admit it's a cool novelty, but I don't think it should become the standard for comic book films. There are other, more interesting ways to remain faithful to the source material than to copy it exactly. The best comic book films seem to find a balance. Batman Begins, for example, took a lot of cues from Year One, but it did a lot of different things too. It stayed true to the spirit of the character while being a new experience at the same time. That, in my opinion, is the key to any good comic book movie, or any movie adapted from another source for that matter.
-
Dammit people, I go away for one day and there's like 9,000 replies. Where is this when I'm bored at work hitting F5 over and over?
Anyway: new director is Brett Ratner (http://www.411mania.com/movies/news/article.php?news_id=7958)
Here's the wikipedia entry on the character he wants in the movie:
Stacy X is a comic book character in the Marvel Comics universe. Stacey is a mutant prostitute who was briefly affiliated with the X-Men. She first appeared in Uncanny X-Men #399 (2001) by Joe Casey and Tom Raney.
Stacy X had the mutant ability to control the pheromones of others, creating a greatly pleasurable experience or greatly sickening one. She first appeared as a member of the Nevada mutant brothel, the X-Ranch. After the hate group the Church of Humanity destroyed the ranch, Stacy joined the X-Men. Forthright and argumentative, Stacy did not take easily to teamwork and left the team shortly after joining. She has presumably returned to her former profession.
Also, not only are they making Spy Hunter* with The Rock but he's also going to be in Doom. Yes, that Doom. But hey, it can't be any worse than the movie coming out starring Kane (If you don't know you don't want to know).
*They'd damned well better use Peter Gunn as the theme or my head may explode.
-
*They'd damned well better use Peter Gunn as the theme or my head may explode.
They'll get some super-hyped-but-actually-shit band or "artist" to cover Peter Gunn. Somebody like Good Charlotte or Jermaine Dupree. This will accomplish both of your objectives.
-
Hello bitches.
I stopped paying attention when Moore officially disowned the movie. Scroll down a little here. (http://www.comicbookresources.com/columns/index.cgi?column=litg&article=2153)
-
Hello bitches.
I stopped paying attention when Moore officially disowned the movie. Scroll down a little here. (http://www.comicbookresources.com/columns/index.cgi?column=litg&article=2153)
Me, I stopped paying attention when I heard the Wachowski brother and sister were attached. Matrix Revolutions is the worst movie I have ever seen and I say that without any hyperbole.
-
Matrix Revolutions is the worst movie I have ever seen and I say that without any hyperbole.
Then you should see night Train to Venice
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107683/
But honestly... V for Vendetta as a Hollywood blockbuster? I think someone forgot that the majority of the blockbuster-going public have spam (the canned meat) for brains.
Expect V for Vendetta to have none of the social commentary but all the explosions the graphic novel.
Also, Watchmen as a film is the worst idea ever. Let it be the best, and stay the best at what it is and leave it the fuck alone. Please.
Directors: People adore and admire Alan Moore for a reason. So trust his vision and keep it in tact. Moore wanted V to be a direct representation of his story, it's not, so he said "fuck you". I'm more likely to take his side than the bloody brothers.
And on a final thought. The preview may be pretty but weren't the previews for the Matrices?
'nuff said.
-
Also, Watchmen as a film is the worst idea ever. Let it be the best, and stay the best at what it is and leave it the fuck alone. Please.
Has to be said, having just gotten three or four issues into Watchmen, they really oughtn't bother trying. And it's not my favourite comic yet. I read the first TPB of Rising Stars the other night, and that is damned good and could make a great movie, if done right.
V for Vendetta, I think I've lost the brief hope I had for.