The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: arkabee on July 23, 2005, 05:57:51 pm

Title: Soda-tastic! (split from Achewood)
Post by: arkabee on July 23, 2005, 05:57:51 pm
Quote from: "Noah"
Quote from: "editor"
Oh my god, Beef thinks that having Coke AND Pepsi is something to celebrate...  that is so, so sad.


i'm pretty sure that the dude to the left of beef is the one amazed at the coke and pepsi


while i have already come to grips with the fact that my childhood was sad,
so sad, i must say that the thought of both Coke and Pepsi as a knee-high-onna-indian i would have been enthused by the prospect.
Title: Soda-tastic! (split from Achewood)
Post by: CortJstr on July 23, 2005, 06:23:58 pm
I still am excited by the presence of both because Coke is way crappier yet more popular. Much like VHS back in the day. So I'm all for the presence of Pepsi as well.
Title: Soda-tastic! (split from Achewood)
Post by: jough on July 23, 2005, 07:08:25 pm
Coke is WAY better than Pepsi.  Damn, how can anyone think Pepsi, with its too-sweet flat flavour, is better than Coca-Cola?

Also, I like RC Cola a whole lot, but it is impossible to find in Philly.  I don't even know if they still make it.

I was drinking Jolt for a bit, but that was too sweet tasting too.

I tried Coke Zero this week and it's actually not bad.  Diet Coke is vile as all hell, but the new sugar-free Coke actually tastes sorta like Coke.  It's good "enough" for me.
Title: Soda-tastic! (split from Achewood)
Post by: St_Zartan on July 23, 2005, 07:45:52 pm
My favorite soda is Diet Rite. The default cola flavor is really tasty in and of itself, but Diet Rite Tangerine is the nectar of the gods.

I think RC Cola is a Southern thing - you can find it everywhere down here. I remember very briefly in (I think it was) 1997, RC had a "premium draft" flavor that came in glass bottles that was breathtakingly good - it had a thicker mouthfeel than ordinary sodas, and (bizarrely) my friend and I would have sworn that there was a hint of chocolate to the taste. When they discontinued it, the local Target stores cleared it out dirt cheap, and I sat on a huge horde of the stuff for about a year, only having one on special occasions and just savoring the hell out of it.

Anyway, I really can't drink caffeinated beverages anymore, so that tends to limit my soda spectrum.
Title: Soda-tastic! (split from Achewood)
Post by: AugustWest on July 23, 2005, 08:01:27 pm
You are aware, of course, of the distinction between Diet Rite and Diet RC.  The Diet Rite line is sugar, caffeine and sodium free and sweetened with Splenda.  Diet RC has caffeine.  I'm not sure what sweetens it.  

White Grape Diet Rite is awfully good.
Title: Soda-tastic! (split from Achewood)
Post by: St_Zartan on July 23, 2005, 08:08:18 pm
Diet RC is also made with Splenda. I think that RC and Diet Rite have some sort of family connection; their packaging etc is very similar, and they're usually next to each other in every supermarket that carries their soda.

Diet RC is pretty good, too - actually, I'm pretty positive on the whole "Splenda as sugar substitute" thing; I made a couple of loaves of banana bread w/ Splenda that turned out beautifully.

White Grape Diet Rite is, I guess, for more sophisticated palates than my own. I am a hardcore grape soda fiend from way, way back - but I want my grape soda purple, and flavor-wise it should be like oversweetened, carbonated Dimetapp, or the "grape" flavor of fluoride at the dentist's office. It's odd that Diet Rite put out such a relatively subtle fruit flavored soda, as their Tangerine (read: orange) and Red Raspberry are both so completely in your face with sweetness and taste.
Title: Soda-tastic! (split from Achewood)
Post by: CortJstr on July 23, 2005, 09:02:31 pm
Coke feels all thick in comparison to Pepsi. Although to be fair they both suck in fountain form. True pop connoisseurs know that cans are where it's at.

I drank RC for a while but within the span of 6 months I got 3 bottles that were clearly diet mislabeld as regular and have not forgiven the company since. Exposure to aspertame will not be tolerated. Anything with that in it tastes overwhelmingly of Nutra Sweet. Spenda is not much better.

Which reminds me, has anybody else noticed the trend of restaurants putting a slice of lime into diet sodas so they can keep track of which is which for refills? This makes me sad because I like lime in my cola but can't ask for it lest I receive diet when I get a refill. Life is hard.

Zart, you are not alone: http://www.bookofratings.com/sodaflavors.html
Title: Soda-tastic! (split from Achewood)
Post by: jough on July 23, 2005, 09:10:48 pm
Cort, how can you be so misguided?

Anything in a can is the WORST way to drink it.  The beverrages pick up some of the taste of the can, and if you've ever seen the manufacturing process you'd know that all sorts of horrible things happen to that aluminum before they fill the can with liquid.

Bottles, and specifically GLASS bottles, is the only proper way to enjoy soda, and even most beers (although having said that I'll have a Guiness from the tap before I'd ever touch a bottle).

Cans?  Eww.
Title: Soda-tastic! (split from Achewood)
Post by: CortJstr on July 23, 2005, 09:28:34 pm
I know indivual sized bottles are the best but I'm used to cans and they're cheaper. 12 cans of Jones Green Apple costs the same as 4 bottles. I also swear that cans have the strongest taste.
Title: Soda-tastic! (split from Achewood)
Post by: V-Adore on July 24, 2005, 01:02:45 am
My soda tastes tend to fluctuate with the amount of money in my possession at any given time. When I have the time and money to go shopping, I do likes me some boutique sodas (I think the only one I've ever disliked is Steaz, and that's because it tastes too... tea-y). There's a brand sold in our College Student Bodega that's all cane sugar and makes the best black cherry soda I've had in years. Very excellent.

On the other hand, when money and time are low, I take my free mug of dining hall soda home, and I like it. I've developed a taste for fountain Coke.
Title: Soda-tastic! (split from Achewood)
Post by: CortJstr on July 24, 2005, 02:10:42 am
You need to get your hands on some black cherry Switch stat.
Title: Soda-tastic! (split from Achewood)
Post by: AugustWest on July 24, 2005, 03:24:36 am
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Diet RC is also made with Splenda. I think that RC and Diet Rite have some sort of family connection; their packaging etc is very similar, and they're usually next to each other in every supermarket that carries their soda.


Diet Rite and Diet RC are both made by RC.  Back in the day, RC's original diet product was called Diet Rite.  Them Diet Rite was changed to the no-caff, no-sodium product it is now and RC didn't have a caffeinated diet drink.  Then they brought out Diet RC a few years ago.  I like it.

Anybody else remember Canfield's Diet Chocolate Fudge soda?  I loved that stuff.
Title: Soda-tastic! (split from Achewood)
Post by: Bozack on July 24, 2005, 03:28:41 am
I've been bringing bottles of Grape Crush to work, in sweaty glass bottles bought from an Indian man down the street. I bring two, drink one whilst smoking outside and give the spare to whomever I please. This means that all day, people try to curry favor to get a delicious Grape Crush the next day.
Title: Soda-tastic! (split from Achewood)
Post by: V-Adore on July 24, 2005, 03:34:16 am
Quote from: "Bozack"
I've been bringing bottles of Grape Crush to work, in sweaty glass bottles bought from an Indian man down the street. I bring two, drink one whilst smoking outside and give the spare to whomever I please. This means that all day, people try to curry favor to get a delicious Grape Crush the next day.

On that subject -- have grape soda flavors recently changed for the not-like-Dimetapp-y? I used to utterly abhor grape soda, but the past few weeks I've been having grape Fanta with lunch and really enjoying it. Has there been an advancement in the state of the art of artificial grape flavor?
Title: Soda-tastic! (split from Achewood)
Post by: CortJstr on July 24, 2005, 03:58:48 am
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Anybody else remember Canfield's Diet Chocolate Fudge soda?  I loved that stuff.

I've never heard of that but I recently discoverd Canfield's peach flavored water. And back in the day Arizona used to make both rootbeef float and chocolate-covered cherry sodas. They were good but not refreshing. After you finished one you needed another drink to wash it down.
Title: Soda-tastic! (split from Achewood)
Post by: V-Adore on July 24, 2005, 04:55:38 am
Quote from: "CortJstr"
rootbeef float

Please, for the love of God, say that's a terrible typo. The heart quails at the thought of what "rootbeef" might be, let alone an ice cream/soda drink involving it.

EDIT: What an inane post as #3000. Ah, well. Ocular Shenanigans away!
Title: Soda-tastic! (split from Achewood)
Post by: St_Zartan on July 24, 2005, 05:14:58 am
Quote from: "Bozack"
I bring two, drink one whilst smoking outside and give the spare to whomever I please. This means that all day, people try to curry favor to get a delicious Grape Crush the next day.


You are a canny bastard. And what's more, it probably seems to all involved like an unimpeachable and charming eccentricity rather than a cold-hearted social hack.

So, uh, wanna hang out later?
Title: Soda-tastic! (split from Achewood)
Post by: side_show on July 24, 2005, 10:37:38 am
1) my SO and I both love RC Cola for the very same reason - because its quality varies from can to can.  At least here in Canada.  But perhaps we are the dumping ground for the US' cast off B-quality RC Cola.  You can buy two cans and find that one can is sweeter, less carbonated, sort of salty or contains more/less than the other one you bought.  I love that, he loves that, we all love that.

2)
Quote from: "arkabee"
as a knee-high-onna-indian i would have been enthused by the prospect.


*Never in all my life have I heard this expression. Although anyone wearing a knee-high, especially if, implicitly, that person is only wearing one knee high, is silly, and even more so if, say that person is wearing shorts, and yet even more so if that person is wearing sandles, I'm not sure how someones' race might play into this.

*this message has been brought to you by the pc thought police.

3) I spent all night drinking illegetimate Tom Collins-es until the brand-new gin bottle was empty.  Illegetimate in that I used ginger ale instead of tonic water.  And that they were stirred, not shaken.  I'm fairly proud of the fact that I can still mostly string two words together at this point.  Infact, the only reason I am posting right now is because my body insisted I wake up at this un-godly hour (5 AM) and consume water, and since I can't drink water and sleep, here I am.

When it comes to ginger ale, the most adult beverage of the soda family, a friend recounted that her husband, born and raised somewhere in South America, thought that Canada Dry was the national drink of Canada, and was some what disapointed, when he arrived in the country, to find that most of us don't really drink it all that much.

Edited due to drunken typos.
Title: Soda-tastic! (split from Achewood)
Post by: CortJstr on July 24, 2005, 02:39:09 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
rootbeef float

Please, for the love of God, say that's a terrible typo. The heart quails at the thought of what "rootbeef" might be, let alone an ice cream/soda drink involving it.

EDIT: What an inane post as #3000. Ah, well. Ocular Shenanigans away!

It is indeed a typo. There's just something about this board that activates the "beef" typing subroutine in my brain.

And hey, Jough fixed the typo in your title. Good for you.
Title: Soda-tastic! (split from Achewood)
Post by: V-Adore on July 24, 2005, 07:27:52 pm
Quote from: "side_show"
When it comes to ginger ale, the most adult beverage of the soda family, a friend recounted that her husband, born and raised somewhere in South America, thought that Canada Dry was the national drink of Canada, and was some what disapointed, when he arrived in the country, to find that most of us don't really drink it all that much.

Heh heh heh.

I really want to like ginger ale, but I can't quite get into it. The brand I really liked but haven't seen anywhere in a while is Vernor's, which had a very strong ginger taste; that fixed my major problem with ginger ale, which is "it doesn't taste like much of anything." I may have to track it down, although I get the feeling it's like Moxie in that it's a very niche soda.

(Huh; didn't even realize that my title had a typo. Weird.)
Title: Soda-tastic! (split from Achewood)
Post by: Mantonio on July 24, 2005, 11:16:17 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I really want to like ginger ale, but I can't quite get into it. The brand I really liked but haven't seen anywhere in a while is Vernor's, which had a very strong ginger taste; that fixed my major problem with ginger ale, which is "it doesn't taste like much of anything." I may have to track it down, although I get the feeling it's like Moxie in that it's a very niche soda.


I was always supplied with ginger ale whenever I got sick as a child, so I therefore consider it to be medicine.
Title: Soda-tastic! (split from Achewood)
Post by: MattFish on July 25, 2005, 01:18:51 am
I love Ginger Ale in the same way I prefer Coke over Pepsi, I enjoy less sweet, more carbonation in my sodas. I've recently taken to drinking those carbonated juice drinks when I can get them cheap and I won't be eating anything with it, and I'm hooked. Carbonation is more addictive than caffiene in some instances.
Title: Soda-tastic! (split from Achewood)
Post by: V-Adore on July 25, 2005, 04:46:37 am
Quote from: "Mantonio"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I really want to like ginger ale, but I can't quite get into it. The brand I really liked but haven't seen anywhere in a while is Vernor's, which had a very strong ginger taste; that fixed my major problem with ginger ale, which is "it doesn't taste like much of anything." I may have to track it down, although I get the feeling it's like Moxie in that it's a very niche soda.

I was always supplied with ginger ale whenever I got sick as a child, so I therefore consider it to be medicine.

For me, this is 7-Up. I can't drink 7-Up recreationally anymore (unless it's with a lot of grenadine), because 7-Up is what you get when you're home with the stomach flu.

Speaking of grenadine, I am reminded of my latest soda disaster, herein presented in script format:
[V-ADORE is wandering through the dining hall, looking around near the salad bar for interesting things. She finds some RED LIQUID in a bottle covered in fruit designs.]
V: Oh, hey, I bet this is grenadine. This would go great in my Coke.
[She adds copious amounts and goes to sit down. Upon doing so, she takes a big old swig of her soda. There is a moment of terrible, terrible revelation.]
V: oh my god that wasn't grenadine, it was RED WINE VINEGAR   oh sweet jesus
[Somehow, no spit-take follows. Total destruction of that soda and dispensation of a new one does, though.]

That was a taste experience I have no desire to recreate.
Title: Soda-tastic! (split from Achewood)
Post by: Bozack on July 25, 2005, 04:50:10 am
You're definitely an optimist. I would never guess, in a million years, that a cafeteria would stock grenadine.
I love me some Grape Crush, but when I'm at work, I get free soft drinks, which means I end up drinking a ton of Orange Drink (I think Minute Maid??), Root Beer, Coke, or my buddy, Ginger Ale.
The best part about the Ginger Ale is I have to go behind the bar counter and use the squirty gun with it. I want one of those bar guns SO DAMN BAD.
Title: Soda-tastic! (split from Achewood)
Post by: CortJstr on July 25, 2005, 01:08:04 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
For me, this is 7-Up. I can't drink 7-Up recreationally anymore (unless it's with a lot of grenadine), because 7-Up is what you get when you're home with the stomach flu.

I like 7-Up except out of a can it tastes kind of like celery. Of course I'm still trying to wrap my head around the concept of Doc Brown's Cel-Ray soda.

My last SO used to drink ginger ale pretty much exclusively. The creepy part was restaurants that didn't actually have ginger ale and would construct jinjer ail with whatever they did have in their soda guns.
Title: Soda-tastic! (split from Achewood)
Post by: Turbo Ninja on July 25, 2005, 02:17:43 pm
RC is available widely in central Ohio, so much so that my favorite bar has it as the default cola.  Captain and Coke?  Not here, champ.  It's Captain and (Royal) Crown for you!
Title: Soda-tastic! (split from Achewood)
Post by: St_Zartan on July 25, 2005, 02:28:36 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
I like 7-Up except out of a can it tastes kind of like celery.

?!

Also, I like ginger ale (probably because it has that soothing, "this is medicine for you" association with it) and tonic water. (No, not together.)

Here's the thing: according to my driver's license, I am not eighty-five years old. So I really can't explain that one.
Title: Soda-tastic! (split from Achewood)
Post by: AugustWest on July 25, 2005, 02:31:29 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
I like 7-Up except out of a can it tastes kind of like celery. Of course I'm still trying to wrap my head around the concept of Doc Brown's Cel-Ray soda.


Mmmmm, Dr. Brown's Black Cherry....
Title: Soda-tastic! (split from Achewood)
Post by: Gimpson on July 25, 2005, 02:59:32 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Also, I like ginger ale (probably because it has that soothing, "this is medicine for you" association with it) and tonic water. (No, not together.)

Here's the thing: according to my driver's license, I am not eighty-five years old. So I really can't explain that one.


I find that tonic water refreshes my thirst more than just about any liquid out  there.  Then again, I do play bridge, so even though my driver's license doesn't say I'm 75 years old, I'm inclined to think it is lying.  

As for ginger ale, I've sampled most of the weird drinks they sell at Whole Foods, and there are some excellent ginger beers that they sell.  They're quite a bit sharper and less sweet than a basic ginger ale.  This one (http://www.sodapopstop.com/products/detail.cfm?link=125) in particular is very strong, and reminds you that the ginger in ginger ale is in fact the same stuff you put in your stir fries.
Title: Soda-tastic! (split from Achewood)
Post by: arkabee on July 25, 2005, 03:01:58 pm
When i was a child, I drank Pepsi as would a child.
When i became a man, I drank Coke as would a man.

(my ability to drink things that cause me pain only came to me later in life,
after i started smoking.  there is nothing that i know of quite like the
searing of a ice-cold coke burning through my throat.  coffee too.)

--

"knee high on an indian" is just one of those phrases i picked up as a youth.
in wisconsin.  it means you were short, because you only came up to
someone's knee, usually because of childrenness.

--

i had always thought RC Cola was a "Midwest" Thing, since i remember it being prevalent as a youth, merely knee high on an indian, in those
halcyon days of northern wisconsin.

herebouts in the arm pit of the south east (hot, sweaty, sticnky), there is
not much truck for RC.

--

i am pleasantly surprised by the new Coke with Lime.   it's pretty good.

but, cherry vanilla dr pepper is goood.
Title: Soda-tastic! (split from Achewood)
Post by: pmcd9 on July 25, 2005, 03:14:09 pm
I've always heard it as "knee high to a grasshopper."

~Paul
Title: Soda-tastic! (split from Achewood)
Post by: St_Zartan on July 25, 2005, 03:18:59 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"
I've always heard it as "knee high to a grasshopper."


I guess we proud Texans killed off all our Injuns before the Idiom Squad rolled through.
Title: Soda-tastic! (split from Achewood)
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on July 25, 2005, 03:47:40 pm
Hey Jough:  Do Frank's sodas still exist up your way?  I used to love me some Frank's cream soda, and whenever my mom went to Philly I'd have her pick me up a case.
Title: Soda-tastic! (split from Achewood)
Post by: jough on July 25, 2005, 04:08:20 pm
No, I was about to post something about the legend of Franks (best damn Orange soda EVER) and their "Black Cherry Wishniak".

Now, as far as anyone around here knows, Wishniak is a word made up by Franks to make their black cherry soda more exotic.  It was an awesome soda, though, and far superior to any on the market.

Now Stewarts, of root beer fame, is making Frank's old Black Cherry Wishniak.  It is divine.

However, when Franks went out of business people around here fuck*ng HOARDED the stuff, and you can actually still buy some from various Philly food vendors:

http://www.phillypretzels.com/home.html

Of course, keep in mind that Franks went out of business in 1996 or 97, so freshness is not likely.
Title: Soda-tastic! (split from Achewood)
Post by: CortJstr on July 25, 2005, 04:13:49 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
I like 7-Up except out of a can it tastes kind of like celery.

?!

I'm serious. Drink some 7-Up from a can and tell me there's not a vague celery taste.
Title: Soda-tastic! (split from Achewood)
Post by: aparrish on July 25, 2005, 04:22:51 pm
You're all going to get tooth decay and die, every one of you!  Also diabetes.
Title: Soda-tastic! (split from Achewood)
Post by: St_Zartan on July 25, 2005, 04:30:16 pm
Quote from: "jough"
However, when Franks went out of business people around here fuck*ng HOARDED the stuff, and you can actually still buy some from various Philly food vendors:

http://www.phillypretzels.com/home.html


EIGHTY BUCKS for a couple of sandwiches and sodas.

Christ, I might as well just fly myself to Philly with a big bag of dry ice.

Quote from: "CortJstr"
I'm serious. Drink some 7-Up from a can and tell me there's not a vague celery taste.


I know you were serious. That's why I brought out the exclamation point.

I guess, then, that 7-Up would be good with peanut butter and raisins.