The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: Bobby Isosceles on July 26, 2005, 04:20:17 am

Title: The Doody family hope to raise profile of faggots
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on July 26, 2005, 04:20:17 am
An oldie -- but a goodie.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/2698507.stm

Quote

The Doody family from Wolverhampton has been crowned The Faggot Family in a national competition, and to kick off their reign they will launch National Faggot Week.

(http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/38744000/jpg/_38744375_doody300.jpg)
Quote

"The great British faggot is full of flavour and a great belly warmer at this time of year."
Title: The Doody family hope to raise profile of faggots
Post by: side_show on July 26, 2005, 03:01:00 pm
I like how displeased the son looks.  You know he knows.
Title: The Doody family hope to raise profile of faggots
Post by: St_Zartan on July 26, 2005, 03:27:31 pm
Those sashes were clearly mass produced. There was plenty of time for someone to step in and say

- you know what? No. No, and I'm sorry, folks, I know this means a lot to you - and it does to me, too, really, or I wouldn't be here; it's the family business and it's a good product we're making - but god damn it, you people have got to realize that we are living in Different Times and draping the words FAGGOT FAMILY on people, much less, well, photographing them just isn't going to be good - not for anybody.

That someone was silent, and here we are - this is the psychic equivalent of a permanent wedgie.

Of course, culturally, who knows? - English speakers may be reaching some sort of linguistic zero point at which every single word can be used to cobble together some sort of double entendre, at which point, well, we're just fucked (har har).

REALITY TELEVISION
Title: The Doody family hope to raise profile of faggots
Post by: pmcd9 on July 26, 2005, 04:00:23 pm
They are already named Doody so it's not like this is likely to make things any worse for them.

~Paul
Title: The Doody family hope to raise profile of faggots
Post by: St_Zartan on July 26, 2005, 04:21:18 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"
They are already named Doody so it's not like this is likely to make things any worse for them.


I'd agree with you, except that combining fecal imagery with sodomy imagery - in a promotion designed to increase awareness of / sell more sausage products - is the textbook definition of "worse".
Title: The Doody family hope to raise profile of faggots
Post by: AlohaDawg on July 26, 2005, 07:12:03 pm
A food review....because I was dying to know what a faggot is...(and I have eaten haggis and lived to tell the tale....) Also, because I first thought that this happy family was promoting cigarettes, which was actually amusing given the age of the children.

<><><><><><><>


Name: Mr Brain's Faggots
Manufacturer: Hibernia Brands Ltd
Bought in: England
 
'Here's a message for Faggot-lovers everywhere.' So said Rodney Bewes in one of my favourite ever bygone commercials. That might not be a verbatim quote, but he at least said something equally fantastic. Here's one especially for our American friends, although I doubt that even people who were alive in the days when faggots were popular will be unaware of the word's more modern connotation. Faggots are balls of low quality pork, a kind of 'English haggis', probably intended as a way to make the grossest animal parts seem edible. They are reasonably tasty, if you keep your eyes closed, but the ingredients show that the pork contains more pork liver than pork and a disturbing flavour at the back of the palate suggests the presence of even more offal. Indeed, the second most abundant ingredient is 'pork rind', the exact nature of which I dare not comprehend. West Country sauce seems to mean gravy.
In the national consciousness, Brain's Faggots (what a name!) are THE faggots, but before I managed to locate a packet I found some other faggots. Which I've now deleted, as you didn't need to see them.
Title: The Doody family hope to raise profile of faggots
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on July 26, 2005, 09:21:59 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Quote from: "pmcd9"
They are already named Doody so it's not like this is likely to make things any worse for them.


I'd agree with you, except that combining fecal imagery with sodomy imagery - in a promotion designed to increase awareness of / sell more sausage products - is the textbook definition of "worse".


MY SENTIMENTS EXACTLY. THREAD WINNER.
Title: The Doody family hope to raise profile of faggots
Post by: arkabee on July 27, 2005, 02:19:37 pm
if this thread could wear a ribbon, i'd ask for a ribbon to be placed upon it.

also: i considered cigarettes at first, as well, but then quickly decided it _must_ be some sort of firewood promotion.  i had no idea that there was such a sausage product.
Title: The Doody family hope to raise profile of faggots
Post by: side_show on July 27, 2005, 03:02:38 pm
Just for fun, I consulted my NTC's Dictionary of American Slang.  As this is an American reference book, there is no reference to meat products, but here is the entry for your interest:

Quote
faggot see fag

fag 1. n. a cigarette.  Hey, pal, gimme a fag.  Go buy your own fags! 2. AND faggot n. a homosexual.  (Potentially offensive.  Use only with discretion.  Usually derogatory.  Resented by homosexuals.)  Who's the fag with the fancy had?  Don't act like a faggot, Gary.  3. n. a repellent male.  You creepy fag.  Stop it!  Bruno is such a fag.


I like how the people who put this dictionary together used common names.  I imagine them thinking "ha, ha!  Gary is a faggot, and now it will live with the ages!"
Title: The Doody family hope to raise profile of faggots
Post by: Bozack on July 27, 2005, 04:44:17 pm
Quote from: "side_show"
"ha, ha!  Gary is a faggot, and now it will live with the ages!"


That...is spectacular.
Title: The Doody family hope to raise profile of faggots
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on July 28, 2005, 01:43:42 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
Quote from: "side_show"
"ha, ha!  Gary is a faggot, and now it will live with the ages!"


That...is spectacular.


Well, smoking Mr. Gary's pole is so beautiful.