The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: Gimpson on July 27, 2005, 08:22:21 pm

Title: Theoretical Gridiron
Post by: Gimpson on July 27, 2005, 08:22:21 pm
Due to MASSIVE LAYOFFS the fantasy football league I've participated in for the last three years has ceased to exist.  This means that I am facing the prospect of only participating in one fantasy football league this season.

I don't think we have enough football fans on this board to support a league, much less enough football fans with time for fantasy football, but just in case, would anybody be interested in a TOUAMB Fantasy Football League?
Title: Re: Theoretical Gridiron
Post by: St_Zartan on July 27, 2005, 08:44:30 pm
Quote from: "Gimpson"
Due to MASSIVE LAYOFFS the fantasy football league I've participated in for the last three years has ceased to exist.  This means that I am facing the prospect of only participating in one fantasy football league this season.

I don't think we have enough football fans on this board to support a league, much less enough football fans with time for fantasy football, but just in case, would anybody be interested in a TOUAMB Fantasy Football League?


This would be an excellent opportunity to ask you just what fantasy / "rotisserie" (are these even the same thing? this has confused me for, literally, about fifteen years) football is, how it works, etc. I'm not fuck*ng with you - I'm really interested in simulation / play systems (ask me about all the RPG books I've bought / downloaded and never played) and this one is of special interest to me because it seems so ubiquitous and, at the same time, completely inaccessible to me.

I've tried reading into it a couple of times, just out of curiosity, but even basic explanations I've found have presupposed a working knowledge of sports I do not and most likely will not ever have.
Title: Re: Theoretical Gridiron
Post by: CortJstr on July 27, 2005, 08:59:01 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Quote from: "Gimpson"
Due to MASSIVE LAYOFFS the fantasy football league I've participated in for the last three years has ceased to exist.  This means that I am facing the prospect of only participating in one fantasy football league this season.

I don't think we have enough football fans on this board to support a league, much less enough football fans with time for fantasy football, but just in case, would anybody be interested in a TOUAMB Fantasy Football League?

This would be an excellent opportunity to ask you just what fantasy / "rotisserie" (are these even the same thing? this has confused me for, literally, about fifteen years) football is, how it works, etc. I'm not fuck*ng with you - I'm really interested in simulation / play systems (ask me about all the RPG books I've bought / downloaded and never played) and this one is of special interest to me because it seems so ubiquitous and, at the same time, completely inaccessible to me.

I've tried reading into it a couple of times, just out of curiosity, but even basic explanations I've found have presupposed a working knowledge of sports I do not and most likely will not ever have.

You're telling me you aren't in the WWE Fantasy League? All the cool kids are doing it. I'm sure WWE wouldn't immediately sell your address to 40,000 people.
Title: Theoretical Gridiron
Post by: AugustWest on July 27, 2005, 09:06:28 pm
I'm in.

Zart, most of the fantasy football league's I've participated in are fairly simple.  At the beginning of the season, each participant drafts a roster of actual NFL players.  Several of these are chosen each week and the participant receives points based upon the players' performance that week.  One common way seems to be you select a team consisting of a QB, RB, two WR's, a TE and a K, plus the entire defensive unit of a team.  It's not incredibly complex, but it does require some football knowledge, especially re: the players' abilities and the qualities of the team they'll be playing that particular week.
Title: Theoretical Gridiron
Post by: AlohaDawg on July 27, 2005, 09:12:37 pm
Has anyone here ever played this fantasy baseball system that allows you to draft any player who ever played onto your team? Then you set up all the teams and it creates a schedule, then every morning you get the results of yesterday's games? It's kind of interesting although very disconnected from reality and you can run it for months with fairly minimal intellectual involvement.
Title: Theoretical Gridiron
Post by: AugustWest on August 19, 2005, 09:55:24 pm
Are we doing this or what?
Title: Theoretical Gridiron
Post by: AlohaDawg on August 20, 2005, 11:15:31 pm
Who's in charge here? When's the draft?
Title: Theoretical Gridiron
Post by: sjlimmer on August 21, 2005, 06:11:47 pm
While I rather enjoy watching football (Go Vikes!), I doubt that I know enough about it to take part in this particular ritual.  Plus, whenever I see the thread title, I parse it as "Theological Gridiron," which isn't quite the same thing.  And I'm really not sure which deities to draft, either....

That said, if there's a "fantasy football for dummies" site out there, maybe I'll join in.
Title: Theoretical Gridiron
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on August 22, 2005, 01:51:40 pm
My fantasy football league is drafting today, in fact.  One is enough, methinks.
Title: Theoretical Gridiron
Post by: Gimpson on August 30, 2005, 11:53:27 pm
I had assumed this was off because we didn't have enough folks for a league.  

Lessee, I count:
Me
AlohaDawg
Asherdan
AugustWest
and a few maybes.

I've played in a league with eight people, and it really wasn't all that great. Too many players left out on waivers, and you're playing against the same people too often.  If there are others who are interested and haven't yet chimed in I'd certainly be willing to create a league, but we're running out of time to draft, and it might be difficult to coordinate schedules with not much lead time...
Title: Theoretical Gridiron
Post by: Golfhaus on September 01, 2005, 07:32:21 pm
If this goes through, I'm in.