The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: AugustWest on July 31, 2005, 03:41:08 am

Title: Why Does the Sun Shine?
Post by: AugustWest on July 31, 2005, 03:41:08 am
I never knew this song was a cover (http://www.acme.com/jef/singing_science/sun_shine-160.mp3), I always thought it was an homage to a certain sort of educational media those of us who grew up in the middle of the 20th century were familiar with.  Learn something new every day.
Title: Why Does the Sun Shine?
Post by: Bozack on July 31, 2005, 06:47:20 am
My worldview is SHATTERED.
Does this mean I can cover the song, and when people ask me if I'm covering the TMBG song, I can sigh?
Title: Why Does the Sun Shine?
Post by: slink on July 31, 2005, 11:33:35 am
I did know that, what with there being a version on It's Fun To Steal. I should have told you, I know!
Not as good as the other version though. That said I can't remember which other one it's on now, apart from live on Severe Tire Damage... Too much TMBG...
Title: Why Does the Sun Shine?
Post by: Gimpson on July 31, 2005, 02:04:05 pm
Why Does The Sun Shine was a little EP, with a cover of an Allman Brothers song, a Meat Puppets cover, and Spy.
Title: Why Does the Sun Shine?
Post by: CortJstr on July 31, 2005, 03:47:52 pm
Also:

25 O'Clock
Istanbul (Not Constantinople)
New York City
Yeh Yeh
Don't Cross the Street in the Middle of the Block
Maybe I Know
Feast of Lights
Tippecanoe and Tyler Too
O Tannenbaum
Lady Is a Tramp (sort of)
The Guitar (this one's stretching it)
Savoy Truffle (? This is from Songs From the Material World: A Tribute to George Harrison but I don't actually know if it's a cover)
Title: Why Does the Sun Shine?
Post by: jough on July 31, 2005, 04:29:13 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"

Savoy Truffle (? This is from Songs From the Material World: A Tribute to George Harrison but I don't actually know if it's a cover)


Okay, usually not knowing of the Beatle's White Album would be a bannable offence, but seeing as you're a regular and all, I'll let you go get a copy now and then come back and post something about it.
Title: Why Does the Sun Shine?
Post by: Bozack on July 31, 2005, 04:52:52 pm
Quote from: "Gimpson"
Why Does The Sun Shine was a little EP, with a cover of an Allman Brothers song, a Meat Puppets cover, and Spy.


Whoa, what Meat Puppets cover is on there?
Title: Why Does the Sun Shine?
Post by: slink on July 31, 2005, 06:44:05 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"

Whoa, what Meat Puppets cover is on there?


Whirlpool. Having just noticed the directory 'Why Does the Sun Shine (ep)'.
Title: Why Does the Sun Shine?
Post by: CortJstr on July 31, 2005, 08:31:55 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Savoy Truffle (? This is from Songs From the Material World: A Tribute to George Harrison but I don't actually know if it's a cover)

Okay, usually not knowing of the Beatle's White Album would be a bannable offence, but seeing as you're a regular and all, I'll let you go get a copy now and then come back and post something about it.

Actually, I can't recall if I've ever heard a Beatles song all the way through.
Title: Why Does the Sun Shine?
Post by: acoxcae on August 01, 2005, 02:06:54 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Actually, I can't recall if I've ever heard a Beatles song all the way through.


As soon as I'm finished weeping uncontrollably, I'll be sure to mail you a CD.  This is a nearly unforgivable offense.

But, as Jough has said, you have many other fine qualities, so we'll just have to work on this one.
Title: Why Does the Sun Shine?
Post by: pmcd9 on August 01, 2005, 02:09:43 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Actually, I can't recall if I've ever heard a Beatles song all the way through.

This truely is the saddest thing.

~Paul
Title: Why Does the Sun Shine?
Post by: Gimpson on August 01, 2005, 03:01:29 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Also:

Istanbul (Not Constantinople)
New York City


I think I knew the rest of those were covers, but I did not know these two.  Who did New York City originally?
Title: Why Does the Sun Shine?
Post by: pmcd9 on August 01, 2005, 03:44:57 pm
Quote from: "Gimpson"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Also:

Istanbul (Not Constantinople)
New York City


I think I knew the rest of those were covers, but I did not know these two.  Who did New York City originally?


I just saw the original group of the Istanbul song perform last Friday night on one of those PBS remember when shows.  It was all groups from the 50's.  These guys are fossils, they were all in their 80's I would guess.  But they were having a good time and the octogenerian crowd was eating it up.  They are also the same group that did Standing on the Corner (Watching all the Girls Go By).

~Paul
Title: Why Does the Sun Shine?
Post by: CortJstr on August 01, 2005, 04:31:54 pm
Quote from: "Gimpson"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Also:

Istanbul (Not Constantinople)
New York City

I think I knew the rest of those were covers, but I did not know these two.  Who did New York City originally?

Apparently it was The Four Lads (http://www.tmbg.org/band-info/faq/#q18) and Cub (http://www.tmbg.org/learning/nyc/), respectively.
Title: Why Does the Sun Shine?
Post by: Lister on August 02, 2005, 12:46:47 am
The Four Lads also recorded "Gilly Gilly Ossenfeffer Katzenellen Bogen By The Sea," which is fun to sing along with in a very "I am in summer camp again" way.

Not that anyone asked, but it's fun.
Title: Why Does the Sun Shine?
Post by: Limmo on August 02, 2005, 05:21:51 am
Don't know if this has already been posted, but fans of the "Fingertips" medley at the end of Apollo 18 may wish to check this out (http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/fingertips).