The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Gimpson on August 01, 2005, 07:17:55 pm

Title: Crap your opinion back into your skull - Aug 1, 2005
Post by: Gimpson on August 01, 2005, 07:17:55 pm
Sweet Jesus this is awesome.  That last line is probably my favorite of the year.  

Also, it is awesome that Nice Pete has finished his novel.  I look forward to its publication.
Title: Crap your opinion back into your skull - Aug 1, 2005
Post by: MSC on August 01, 2005, 07:34:27 pm
You know it would not be the first time Nice Pete has done this.

Other nice things in this strip:
-- "Klamp"...you do not want Nice Pete klamping your hand
-- Pat's "before you ask, yes, it's a mixed blessing."
-- Pete's increasing anger signified by more lines under his eyes.
-- Pit hair...nice touch.
Title: Crap your opinion back into your skull - Aug 1, 2005
Post by: aparrish on August 01, 2005, 07:34:31 pm
As I've always suspected, Nice Pete is the kind of guy who, if you're not wearing a shirt, will grab you instead by the loose skin beneath your neck.

I also like the visual parallel between KLAMP and the falcon grip in "Trials of Honor."  Some kind of symbolism, perhaps?  That sly Onstad.
Title: Crap your opinion back into your skull - Aug 1, 2005
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on August 01, 2005, 07:40:59 pm
God bless Nice Pete.
Title: Crap your opinion back into your skull - Aug 1, 2005
Post by: Silverberg on August 01, 2005, 07:46:09 pm
I enjoy Pat twirling his finger as he says "Nuh-uh, mister!" The dude should just come out of the closet already.
Title: Crap your opinion back into your skull - Aug 1, 2005
Post by: AugustWest on August 01, 2005, 07:49:28 pm
Isn't it odd how Nice Pete could be viewed as the sanest of all the characters?

Also, it is a mark of Pat's pathology that he is perfectly oblivious to any external concern (e.g. social conventions, other people's feelings, his own safety) while he pursues what he believes to be right and proper.
Title: Crap your opinion back into your skull - Aug 1, 2005
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on August 01, 2005, 07:54:04 pm
ONSTAD I WOULD TOTALLY BUY A SHIRT OF NICE PETE CRAPPING PAT'S BRAINS BACK INTO HIS SKULL YIFF YIFF
Title: Crap your opinion back into your skull - Aug 1, 2005
Post by: St_Zartan on August 01, 2005, 07:59:28 pm
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
ONSTAD I WOULD TOTALLY BUY A SHIRT OF NICE PETE CRAPPING PAT'S BRAINS BACK INTO HIS SKULL YIFF YIFF


See, I told you dressing up a little for Visitation Day will make you and the people around you feel that much better.
Title: Crap your opinion back into your skull - Aug 1, 2005
Post by: cellardoor on August 01, 2005, 08:17:45 pm
*points at last panel in excited manner*
YES!
AWESOME!
Title: Crap your opinion back into your skull - Aug 1, 2005
Post by: evan on August 01, 2005, 08:36:48 pm
See, Pat could have apologized and got away after Pete lets go of him, during the fifth panel. He's such a dick that he has to stick around to insult Picasso.

Will Pat be murdered?

No, I don't think he will.
Title: Crap your opinion back into your skull - Aug 1, 2005
Post by: CortJstr on August 01, 2005, 08:39:27 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Also, it is a mark of Pat's pathology that he is perfectly oblivious to any external concern (e.g. social conventions, other people's feelings, his own safety) while he pursues what he believes to be right and proper.

Look, convicted murderers need copy editing just like everybody else. And it's the duty of smart people everywhere to lord their smartness over those beneath them.
Title: Crap your opinion back into your skull - Aug 1, 2005
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on August 01, 2005, 08:48:52 pm
Quote from: "evan"
Will Pat be murdered?


Yes yes yes.  Have Pat go to hell, where he will be a dick to Satan, who will then jab Pat with his pitchfork, have spiny demons eviscerate him, and other entertaining hijinks.
Title: Crap your opinion back into your skull - Aug 1, 2005
Post by: CortJstr on August 01, 2005, 08:55:04 pm
Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
Quote from: "evan"
Will Pat be murdered?

Yes yes yes.  Have Pat go to hell, where he will be a dick to Satan, who will then jab Pat with his pitchfork, have spiny demons eviscerate him, and other entertaining hijinks.

I dunno, Pat's always so pissed off at everything that sometimes I wonder if he is in hell.
Title: Crap your opinion back into your skull - Aug 1, 2005
Post by: acoxcae on August 01, 2005, 08:59:06 pm
Pat in hell would indeed be awesome, because he would piss off Satan when his carob-covered prunes wouldn't set in the heat, and then he would be ushered further and further down, until he was the damn Mayor of the City of Dis.  This job would suit Pat nicely.

That said, Nice Pete has the right idea.  Both about Picasso, and about Pat.  I hope his book is good - at least, I hope it doesn't have any glaring typos; that would damage his artistic credibility.
Title: Crap your opinion back into your skull - Aug 1, 2005
Post by: doomglobe on August 01, 2005, 09:04:28 pm
I laughed loudly in my cubicle today. been a while since that has happened.
Title: Crap your opinion back into your skull - Aug 1, 2005
Post by: acoxcae on August 01, 2005, 09:08:37 pm
Quote from: "doomglobe"
I laughed loudly in my cubicle today. been a while since that has happened.


I hate laughing out loud in my cubicle - it tells my cube-neighbors one of two things - one, I might be insane, laughing out loud for no reason, or two, I'm clearly not doing any work if I'm laughing so hard.

This happened to me last week at Spamusement (http://spamusement.com) as I read their archives.  Every now and then, I would start laughing nearly to the point of convulsions, until I started covering my mouth habitually - by the end of the day, I was just spouting mysterious, vaguely rude noises every few minutes, and I think my coworkers were generally concerned for my well-being.  Wish it that I worked with people I liked, I'd send them the link.  Oh well.
Title: Crap your opinion back into your skull - Aug 1, 2005
Post by: CortJstr on August 01, 2005, 09:47:08 pm
Quote from: "acoxcae"
This happened to me last week at Spamusement (http://spamusement.com) as I read their archives.  Every now and then, I would start laughing nearly to the point of convulsions, until I started covering my mouth habitually - by the end of the day, I was just spouting mysterious, vaguely rude noises every few minutes, and I think my coworkers were generally concerned for my well-being.  Wish it that I worked with people I liked, I'd send them the link.  Oh well.

I discovered that site a few months ago (via Lore?) and it is damned entertaining.
Title: Crap your opinion back into your skull - Aug 1, 2005
Post by: 6tm on August 01, 2005, 10:00:11 pm
The cat with facial hair has compared himself to Picasso to make a point; the cat in glasses proceeds to take a dump on Picasso.
Title: Crap your opinion back into your skull - Aug 1, 2005
Post by: jough on August 01, 2005, 11:21:54 pm
Quote from: "6tm"
The cat with facial hair has compared himself to Picasso to make a point; the cat in glasses proceeds to take a dump on Picasso.


Thanks for straightening this all out for us.

Well, this strip was funny.  It's a little over-the-top even for Pat, but whatever.  It made me laugh.  Maybe Onstad's getting back into the groove.
Title: Crap your opinion back into your skull - Aug 1, 2005
Post by: jough on August 01, 2005, 11:26:01 pm
Quote from: "acoxcae"

This happened to me last week at Spamusement (http://spamusement.com) as I read their archives.


Evidently Pat reads Spamusement too:

http://spamusement.com/index.php/comics/view/233
Title: Crap your opinion back into your skull - Aug 1, 2005
Post by: V-Adore on August 02, 2005, 12:23:56 am
I enjoyed this strip quite a bit. I don't have much more to say about it, as I'm tired, but I enjoyed it.
Title: Crap your opinion back into your skull - Aug 1, 2005
Post by: miles on August 02, 2005, 08:41:33 am
Thank you for the birthday gift Mr. Onstad.  I needed it because I spent it over 6000 miles away from my girlfriend.  Plus I got kicked in the balls while I was very drunk.

So thank you.
Title: Crap your opinion back into your skull - Aug 1, 2005
Post by: MattFish on August 02, 2005, 12:24:11 pm
I never have anything worthwhile to say about strips like these, but I like them and they are funny.
Title: Crap your opinion back into your skull - Aug 1, 2005
Post by: Null on August 02, 2005, 12:25:38 pm
I too think a great Pat strip would be one where he is murdered painfully.  It looks here as if Nice Pete is about ready to comply.

He would of course go straight to Hell, where the riddle in the Friendly's menu would be something so offensive (personally) that he would not DEIGN to answer it.  He would thus remain in Hell for a long time.

Of course, after some while, Satan would think, This guy is a major sink-hole.  He is making Hell bad.  So Satan would sent Pat back to Earth...through an open sewer.  He would emerge in the midst of a couple of hundred photographers (digital and 35mm) and he would spend a few futile weeks trying to recover the negatives.  He would not be able to get any of them, though.

He would finally retire to a broken down mansion (in the center of a cemetary) where, on clear moonless nights, he could be heard shouting BAH at the top of his lungs.

I would get a framed copy of that strip.
Title: Crap your opinion back into your skull - Aug 1, 2005
Post by: aparrish on August 02, 2005, 01:32:38 pm
Quote
... after some while, Satan would think, This guy is a major sink-hole. He is making Hell bad.


Nah, I think Satan would be more likely to think that Pat was an upstanding guy.  He'd quickly get to work on implementing all of Pat's suggested reforms.
Title: Crap your opinion back into your skull - Aug 1, 2005
Post by: Golfhaus on August 03, 2005, 02:13:54 am
I laughed about this strip all day. Pat thinks Picasso's work is crap, the world considers him a great artist. Clearly, the world is wrong. You can't BUY that kind of pretension.
Title: Crap your opinion back into your skull - Aug 1, 2005
Post by: Bozack on August 03, 2005, 03:31:46 am
Quote from: "Golfhaus"
I laughed about this strip all day. Pat thinks Picasso's work is crap, the world considers him a great artist. Clearly, the world is wrong. You can't BUY that kind of pretension.


Ha, and the best thing is, Pat doesn't even MENTION that the world is wrong. He just assumes that Nice Pete also thinks Picasso is a charlatan.
Title: Crap your opinion back into your skull - Aug 1, 2005
Post by: pmcd9 on August 03, 2005, 03:47:40 am
Quote from: "Bozack"
Quote from: "Golfhaus"
I laughed about this strip all day. Pat thinks Picasso's work is crap, the world considers him a great artist. Clearly, the world is wrong. You can't BUY that kind of pretension.


Ha, and the best thing is, Pat doesn't even MENTION that the world is wrong. He just assumes that Nice Pete also thinks Picasso is a charlatan.

I thought Jackson Pollock was a charlatan until I saw one of his works in person.  It's like seeing the grand canyon, a photograph can not do it justice.  It must be seen to be believed.

~Paul
Title: Crap your opinion back into your skull - Aug 1, 2005
Post by: revdj on August 03, 2005, 04:26:36 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"

I thought Jackson Pollock was a charlatan until I saw one of his works in person.  It's like seeing the grand canyon, a photograph can not do it justice.  It must be seen to be believed.

~Paul


It's funny you say that!  I always thought the same thing about "Whistler's Mother" - I never got why people called it a great painting.  Then I saw it in person and was like, OH!
Title: Crap your opinion back into your skull - Aug 1, 2005
Post by: jough on August 03, 2005, 04:46:36 pm
I felt that way about Frances McDormand.  She seemed kinda homey (albeit not homely) in Fargo and other Coen Bros. films, but she's a total babe in person.
Title: Crap your opinion back into your skull - Aug 1, 2005
Post by: AugustWest on August 03, 2005, 09:04:46 pm
Quote from: "jough"
I felt that way about Frances McDormand.  She seemed kinda homey (albeit not homely) in Fargo and other Coen Bros. films, but she's a total babe in person.


She was pretty hot in Blood Simple.