The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Suckin_Dick on August 04, 2005, 07:04:24 am

Title: Just Like Old Times (04 Aug 05)
Post by: Suckin_Dick on August 04, 2005, 07:04:24 am
Ah man, this is the funniest thing i've seen for a long time.  the last shot of ray with the sign is just classic.  Where did he get it?!?!? I DON'T KNOW THAT'S RAY FOR YOU HAHA!
Title: Just Like Old Times (04 Aug 05)
Post by: mudokon on August 04, 2005, 07:33:47 am
So, can we all agree that Achewood is back on track? Ray's sign at the end is what really sells it. A doo-da doo-da doo-da doo!
Title: Just Like Old Times (04 Aug 05)
Post by: evan on August 04, 2005, 07:50:47 am
I'm sure this isn't news to anyone but I just wanted to be the first to post this link:

http://chrisonstad.blogspot.com/2005/05/it-is-interesting-to-be-twenty-years.html

Also, what are the other two main traumas of youth?
Title: Just Like Old Times (04 Aug 05)
Post by: Noah on August 04, 2005, 10:28:29 am
man this is making me laugh a lot more than it should

my only problem is with the second snapshot. what is ray doing

is he like

waving his arm to keep his balance

has he grown a wing

is he fanning away the stink with his hand

what ?
Title: Just Like Old Times (04 Aug 05)
Post by: St_Zartan on August 04, 2005, 12:25:45 pm
Quote from: "Noah"
- free verse omitted -


He's holding the camera with one hand and pointing to himself with the other.

This is a good strip. And yeah, the sign makes it - as though the comment he made ("just like old times") he thought was so perfect that he had to preserve it in pictures, right along with the smashed turd.
Title: Just Like Old Times (04 Aug 05)
Post by: MSC on August 04, 2005, 12:41:58 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
He's holding the camera with one hand and pointing to himself with the other.


Yes, nice use of perspective there by Onstad.
Title: Just Like Old Times (04 Aug 05)
Post by: V-Adore on August 04, 2005, 12:48:10 pm
I am a little nonplussed that Onstad is reusing a joke that wasn't that funny even in the blogs, but here it's a lot funnier. The cell phone snapshots make it, as does Ray's blithe belief that the cell phone snapshots are necessary. (What, Beef wasn't going to believe him otherwise?)

I hope he calls Pat. Ideally Pat would not take the call on account of being the victim of the murder act (nobody likes a critic), but listening to Pat freak out would be ideal.
Title: Just Like Old Times (04 Aug 05)
Post by: wombat on August 04, 2005, 02:40:37 pm
I'm with V about the reuse of the joke - if only because I'd hate to miss the opportunity to be nonplussed, which doesn't come around every day - but I don't find it funny.  I feel left out, being clearly in the minority at this point.
Title: Just Like Old Times (04 Aug 05)
Post by: Golfhaus on August 04, 2005, 02:52:12 pm
I don't really see the reuse of the joke to be that big a deal - it was handled in different ways. Not just blog vs. strip, but that Onstad dealt with it like Onstad, and Ray dealt with it like Ray. I didn't see a lot of humor in the blog post, but I geeked out totally for the strip. Ray's sense of childlike wonder with mundane things (ref: "Yeah, man! We doin' this!" (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=04042005)) will make me laugh every single time.
Title: Just Like Old Times (04 Aug 05)
Post by: editor on August 04, 2005, 02:58:34 pm
His shoes (sandles?) make me laugh.  Those are ridiculous.
Title: Just Like Old Times (04 Aug 05)
Post by: AugustWest on August 04, 2005, 02:59:29 pm
Meh.
Title: Just Like Old Times (04 Aug 05)
Post by: St_Zartan on August 04, 2005, 03:04:56 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Meh.

JUST LIKE OLD TIMES!
Title: Just Like Old Times (04 Aug 05)
Post by: V-Adore on August 04, 2005, 03:23:39 pm
Quote from: "editor"
His shoes (sandles?) make me laugh.  Those are ridiculous.

They look like shoes he might have stolen from Pat. Heck, maybe he did steal them from Pat, in which case I suspect shenanigans.

Anyway, I guess the difference for me is, as Golfhaus mentioned, the difference in handling between Onstad and Ray. In the blogs, Onstad used it as an excuse to be vaguely incoherent and pompous, which isn't particularly funny; in the strip, Ray's reaction (cell phone photos and all) makes it.
Title: Just Like Old Times (04 Aug 05)
Post by: Bozack on August 04, 2005, 03:50:53 pm
The best part is that he's not talking about a specific instance where he stepped in dog shit, just that stepping in dog shit was something that happened a lot back in the OLD TIMES!
I like how, for Ray, life is continually a party.
Title: Just Like Old Times (04 Aug 05)
Post by: CortJstr on August 04, 2005, 03:51:36 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
I'm with V about the reuse of the joke - if only because I'd hate to miss the opportunity to be nonplussed, which doesn't come around every day - but I don't find it funny.  I feel left out, being clearly in the minority at this point.

Each comic thread should be a poll. The options would be:
1) Move over Liquor Cabinet Taste-Test, for you have been bested
2) Best strip since the last best strip.
3) Meh.
4) Retire already, you sad bastard.
5) The opposite of whatever Jough says.
Title: Just Like Old Times (04 Aug 05)
Post by: jough on August 04, 2005, 04:08:33 pm
Achewood is back for my amusement!

The last three or four strips have actually been up to the usual Achewood standards.

I don't find the stepping in dog poop itself funny, as some of you seem to, but Ray is ALL ABOUT POSITIVE THINKING and would be a good guy to have around, even if he weren't a trillionaire.

JUST LIKE OLD TIMES!
Title: Just Like Old Times (04 Aug 05)
Post by: Formica on August 04, 2005, 04:25:07 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "wombat"
I'm with V about the reuse of the joke - if only because I'd hate to miss the opportunity to be nonplussed, which doesn't come around every day - but I don't find it funny.  I feel left out, being clearly in the minority at this point.

Each comic thread should be a poll. The options would be:
1) Move over Liquor Cabinet Taste-Test, for you have been bested
2) Best strip since the last best strip.
3) Meh.
4) Retire already, you sad bastard.
5) The opposite of whatever Jough says.

Can the Liquor Cabinet Taste-Test (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=10222001) really be bested, though?

edit: And yes this poll should be the default for all new thread topics, for certain.
Title: Just Like Old Times (04 Aug 05)
Post by: jough on August 04, 2005, 04:36:48 pm
Also, I have a request for all "FIRST POST!!#@!!!!!!" people out there, other than putting the date in the subject line, and that is to link to the permalink of the strip in the post somewhere so that three months from now when someone searches the archives then can click on the link and go read the strip more easily.

Thank you.
Title: Just Like Old Times (04 Aug 05)
Post by: pmcd9 on August 04, 2005, 05:02:33 pm
Maybe you can code up a special readymade "strip poll" so it's not such a hassle to write a poll every day.

~Paul
Title: Just Like Old Times (04 Aug 05)
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on August 04, 2005, 05:12:23 pm
WHAT I LIKE BEST ABOUT THIS STRIP IS THE FORESHORTENING ON RAY'S ARM TO INDICATE A CELLPHONE SELF PORTRAIT. CLEARLY HE NEEDS TO BE A HIPSTER ON MYSPACE. THAT IS ALL
Title: Just Like Old Times (04 Aug 05)
Post by: evan on August 04, 2005, 06:03:20 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Maybe you can code up a special readymade "strip poll" so it's not such a hassle to write a poll every day.

Maybe there could also be a cron job to just check achewood.com every 25 minutes to see if a new comic has been posted, and if it has; create a new topic using a random bit of text OCR'd from the comic as the title.
Title: Just Like Old Times (04 Aug 05)
Post by: acoxcae on August 04, 2005, 06:30:05 pm
Or use the RSS, whose sole purpose in life it is to provide a bit of text about the comic at the appropriate time.

Of course, then the thread title might not reflect the punchline/best piece.  It is way easier than writing an automated OCR script though.

edit:  This strip is gold.  Ray taking pictures to preserve this joyous occasion for posterity: excellent.  I also like that when Ray calls Beef, apparently as soon as Ray asks what he just stepped in, Beef's like "Ooh, was it dog shit?"

OLD TIMES $$$
Title: Just Like Old Times (04 Aug 05)
Post by: editor on August 04, 2005, 06:50:18 pm
The last panel just kills me.
*KLIK*  Foot in dog doo!
*KLIK*  Me!
*KLIK*  OLD TIMES!!!!
Title: Just Like Old Times (04 Aug 05)
Post by: St_Zartan on August 04, 2005, 07:09:32 pm
Quote from: "acoxcae"
I also like that when Ray calls Beef, apparently as soon as Ray asks what he just stepped in, Beef's like "Ooh, was it dog shit?"


That is an awesome little detail I missed this morning. One pack of "Yo! MTV Raps" trading cards to you for pointing that out.

(http://www.top-five-records.com/images/yomtv.jpg)
Title: Just Like Old Times (04 Aug 05)
Post by: AlohaDawg on August 04, 2005, 07:12:05 pm
Quote from: "evan"
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Maybe you can code up a special readymade "strip poll" so it's not such a hassle to write a poll every day.

Maybe there could also be a cron job to just check achewood.com every 25 minutes to see if a new comic has been posted, and if it has; create a new topic using a random bit of text OCR'd from the comic as the title.


We could also have it randomly generate pro- and con- posts using the text. Then we can develop random new members to occasionally be automatically generated every three months to ask why *****##### and #####***** get filtered.

It'll be easy living once we get it all automated.
Title: Just Like Old Times (04 Aug 05)
Post by: St_Zartan on August 04, 2005, 07:16:22 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
It'll be easy living once we get it all automated. (http://www.jerkcity.com/jerkcity1426.html)
Title: Just Like Old Times (04 Aug 05)
Post by: Null on August 04, 2005, 10:30:00 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I hope he calls Pat.


Naturally, that FOOL Ray sent me his phone pictures, and just as naturally, I DELETED them without opening them.  I REFUSE to have any communication with that man until he refunds my check for his last party.  (I was instructing the manager at Books-A-Million how to improve their shelf selections and simply lost track of the time.)

(The only reason I was going to go to the party in the first place was to pique the interests of folks to buy my poetry book.  I knew that DOLT Ray wouldn't have any proper vegan food anyway.)

I knew it was Ray calling without even picking up the phone.  I had Roast Beef program my ringtones so that each number played a soundbite of Chomsky speaking Truth to Power.  The quote for Ray was a particularly scathing indictment of just the sort of person he is.  The ringtones are pretty much the ONLY intelligent part of any conversation with the FOOLS who seem to have my cell number.  (I have not yet figured out the blocking feature.)

Beef is kind of clever with soul-less, sterile things like computers.  I offered him some dried-acorn bisque as payment but he declined, saying he was late for some meeting.  I thought he could use some healthy food, as I have never seen a man grimmace so often in such a short space of time--I suspect he has picked up some rotten variant of the Clap from that trollop he insists on wasting his time with.

I'm glad I could bring something of intelligence to this discussion--I feel it is my duty to help those less gifted than myself.

--Pat Reynolds
Title: Just Like Old Times (04 Aug 05)
Post by: V-Adore on August 04, 2005, 10:37:50 pm
Quote from: "Null"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I hope he calls Pat.


Naturally, that FOOL Ray sent me his phone pictures, and just as naturally, I DELETED them without opening them.  I REFUSE to have any communication with that man until he refunds my check for his last party.  (I was instructing the manager at Books-A-Million how to improve their shelf selections and simply lost track of the time.)

(The only reason I was going to go to the party in the first place was to pique the interests of folks to buy my poetry book.  I knew that DOLT Ray wouldn't have any proper vegan food anyway.)

I knew it was Ray calling without even picking up the phone.  I had Roast Beef program my ringtones so that each number played a soundbite of Chomsky speaking Truth to Power.  The quote for Ray was a particularly scathing indictment of just the sort of person he is.  The ringtones are pretty much the ONLY intelligent part of any conversation with the FOOLS who seem to have my cell number.  (I have not yet figured out the blocking feature.)

Beef is kind of clever with soul-less, sterile things like computers.  I offered him some dried-acorn bisque as payment but he declined, saying he was late for some meeting.  I thought he could use some healthy food, as I have never seen a man grimmace so often in such a short space of time--I suspect he has picked up some rotten variant of the Clap from that trollop he insists on wasting his time with.

I'm glad I could bring something of intelligence to this discussion--I feel it is my duty to help those less gifted than myself.

--Pat Reynolds

Wow. A little over-the-top at points, but it's got a nice beat and you can dance to it. I give it a 9.
Title: Just Like Old Times (04 Aug 05)
Post by: acoxcae on August 04, 2005, 10:40:00 pm
Thank you Pat, that was enlightening and...disturbingly spot-on.

Null, you should put in to be Pat's blog ghostwriter.  I'm sure Onstad could use the time to think up more clever baby status updates.