The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: mudokon on August 08, 2005, 06:28:58 am

Title: August 8, 2005 - Harry Potter and the Hanoi Hilton
Post by: mudokon on August 08, 2005, 06:28:58 am
Well, looks like Onstad listened to the board's requests. It's nice to see that Lyle has the decency to keep his fanfic from Philippe, and Philippe's expression in the last panel is pretty good.

Also, that's not the first time we've seen Lyle's last name, is it? I thought it was revealed some time ago.
Title: August 8, 2005 - Harry Potter and the Hanoi Hilton
Post by: pmcd9 on August 08, 2005, 06:52:08 am
Lyle doesn't care about Philippe's innocence he just doesn't wan't to be bothered.

~Paul
Title: August 8, 2005 - Harry Potter and the Hanoi Hilton
Post by: linnea on August 08, 2005, 07:19:14 am
It does raise a lot more questions than it answers. Readying a "hot shot"? Six pots of green tea? Climbing on top of a glass coffee table?

...uh oh.

I think I see where this one is going. Lyle's expertise in the gonzo biz is probably about to become pretty apparent.
Title: August 8, 2005 - Harry Potter and the Hanoi Hilton
Post by: Doc on August 08, 2005, 07:20:29 am
The thing thats really great is that like all good fan fiction it's just using the source material as an excuse to write something totally unrelated.

Also 'Harry Potter legends'.

And Phillipe looks Pissed.
Title: August 8, 2005 - Harry Potter and the Hanoi Hilton
Post by: cellardoor on August 08, 2005, 07:38:12 am
Sadly I knew what Lyle was writing about pretty much straight away.
Glass table, full belly, eww.
Lyle really is nasty.
Love Phillipe's expression in the last panel.
Title: August 8, 2005 - Harry Potter and the Hanoi Hilton
Post by: Suckin_Dick on August 08, 2005, 07:52:56 am
it was kind of eh.  not too funny, but at least he was keeping his promise.
Title: August 8, 2005 - Harry Potter and the Hanoi Hilton
Post by: Bozack on August 08, 2005, 09:49:46 am
Yeah, not enough recognition is being paid to the fact that Harry Potter, who has his name in the fuck*ng title, is knocked unconscious and thrown behind a couch so that two guys can get pissed on by a Hanoi whore.

I think Lyle may be the nastiest dude in town.
Title: August 8, 2005 - Harry Potter and the Hanoi Hilton
Post by: R-Machine on August 08, 2005, 10:27:19 am
I had assumed that this would be just another chicken recipe, but Onstad has certainly come out in a big way. Though I am not familiar with the continuity myself, are Stiv and Uggs actual characters in HP, or merely character created by Lyle to aid him in literally pissing all over Potter?
Title: August 8, 2005 - Harry Potter and the Hanoi Hilton
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on August 08, 2005, 12:33:38 pm
Does this strip establish Lyle's last name?
Title: August 8, 2005 - Harry Potter and the Hanoi Hilton
Post by: Null on August 08, 2005, 12:52:49 pm
Lyle's last name was shown on a liquor bottle (that I think was also a t-shirt) that was on the site a few months ago.  

I don't know why I didn't guess that Lyle's approach to Harry Potter would be to toss Harry, unconscious, behind a couch in the first sentance.  In retrospect, completely obvious.

And the best thing is Philippe's expression.  You know he's going to write in his blog about this.  He'll probably bring up the Matchbox car, too.
Title: Re: August 8, 2005 - Harry Potter and the Hanoi Hilton
Post by: CortJstr on August 08, 2005, 12:54:46 pm
Quote from: "mudokon"
Also, that's not the first time we've seen Lyle's last name, is it? I thought it was revealed some time ago.

AFAIK we've only seen it on Lyle merchandise such as the Achewater pint glasses. This is the first time that it's appeared in-strip.
Title: August 8, 2005 - Harry Potter and the Hanoi Hilton
Post by: side_show on August 08, 2005, 02:34:56 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
...so that two guys can get pissed on by a Hanoi whore.


Oooh.  See I didn't get it.  Thank you for walking me over to it, introducing me to it, then leaving me with it to make awkward converstation as you mingled with other party guests.
Title: August 8, 2005 - Harry Potter and the Hanoi Hilton
Post by: acoxcae on August 08, 2005, 02:45:57 pm
I have to say, excited as I was to read Lyle's fanfic on Friday, I now know that I should've realized much earlier what was in store for me.  I have no one to blame but myself for this.

See, I thought after the incident with Philippe in the hallway that maybe Lyle harbored a secret Harry Potter fetish (sorry, bad word to use in relation to Lyle), and would produce a fanfic that completely belied his usual persona.  But I was wrong, and I can admit that.

This is exactly what Lyle would produce.  Exactly.
Title: August 8, 2005 - Harry Potter and the Hanoi Hilton
Post by: V-Adore on August 08, 2005, 03:16:04 pm
As far as I know "Stiv" and "Uggs" are not real Harry Potter characters, although this story would be significantly more amusing if they were. Also, I rather prefer the idea of this being some entirely novel form of polymorphous perversity -- golden-shower porn just seems a little too blase for Lyle at this point, really, although the blogs do establish that he has that general subject on his mind.

And yes, this really does raise more questions than it answers.
Title: August 8, 2005 - Harry Potter and the Hanoi Hilton
Post by: cellardoor on August 08, 2005, 03:43:04 pm
I presumed the ho was going to defecate rather than pee.
I have no-one to blame but myself.
Title: August 8, 2005 - Harry Potter and the Hanoi Hilton
Post by: Beatrice on August 08, 2005, 04:00:43 pm
So I haven't been here for a while though I pay my respects to the comic every day.  This strip actually inspired me to return to the forum to see how everyone took it.  I thought it was hilarious, seeing as how clearly it illustrates Lyle's feelings for Harry Potter, but it seems to have a less-than-awesome reaction here.  Ah, well.  

And Stiv and Uggs aren't regulars in the book.  No, I haven't read the most recent two, but I'll bet you 50 bucks (and win) that Onstad's hasn't either.  However, it is not clear how much time he has spent in Hanoi.
Title: August 8, 2005 - Harry Potter and the Hanoi Hilton
Post by: sensate on August 08, 2005, 04:12:19 pm
Crabbe and Goyle would have been good for Stiv and Uggs, maybe with Malfoy gimped up in the corner.
Title: August 8, 2005 - Harry Potter and the Hanoi Hilton
Post by: Null on August 08, 2005, 04:25:19 pm
It has to be admitted that at least Lyle was polite to Philippe.  He could, after all, have barked "Shaddap, you!  I'm thinkin'!" and backhanded Philippe into the next panel.
Title: August 8, 2005 - Harry Potter and the Hanoi Hilton
Post by: MattFish on August 08, 2005, 04:29:12 pm
Quote from: "Null"
It has to be admitted that at least Lyle was polite to Philippe.  He could, after all, have barked "Shaddap, you!  I'm thinkin'!" and backhanded Philippe into the next panel.


This sounds like the kind of stuff Lyle can churn out without having to think much.

This is once again an example of how I can't introduce people to this strip in mixed company.

ALT TITLE: "I ready hot shot"
Title: August 8, 2005 - Harry Potter and the Hanoi Hilton
Post by: AlohaDawg on August 08, 2005, 06:10:55 pm
Quote from: "linnea"
It does raise a lot more questions than it answers. Readying a "hot shot"? Six pots of green tea? Climbing on top of a glass coffee table?


I think she's saying, in vietnamese prostitute patois, "I am ready for you, Mr. Client".
Title: August 8, 2005 - Harry Potter and the Hanoi Hilton
Post by: acoxcae on August 08, 2005, 06:14:11 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
I think she's saying, in vietnamese prostitute patois, "I am ready for you, Mr. Client".


Surprisingly, in this context it works both ways.  But I think you're right as to the actual intention.

I can't believe I'm discussing this.  Especially whilst at work.  Oh well, it's all for a good cause.