The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Doc on August 11, 2005, 08:39:24 am
-
This one was ok, I think it will be better on a second viewing. I don't know, all the ingredients were there:
Ray having a classy party and just giving people money because: check.
Someone getting insulted for no real reason in a slightly odd way: check.
Todd doing something totally offensive and ridiculous: check.
An item (in this case the shirt) that makes you realise just how pathetic the character is: check.
But I'm just not feeling it. Damn now I got myself all bummed out.
Its kind of odd how Ray wants to send Todd away until he realises Todd wants money, for most people this conversation would work the other way around.
Also Todd has always looked kind of odd to me and the shirt just emphasises this.
-
Todd's shirt is awesome.
BALLS!
-
Things that are funny on further pondering:
ankle veins busting?
The shirt was already made -- I think Todd wanted money because he believed he was entitled to have somebody pay for it, not because he needed the money (can you make T-shirts on credit?)
Use of the word 'simoleon'. That's something you only hear from charlatans in period movies these days.
-
I like how Ray expanded the "you're" when repeating how terrible Todd is. Apparently this contest is being held at a Dave Tieff concert.
-
I think Todd has a pretty good shot. After all, he did yell at his girlfriend so loud that he went to the hospital.
-
Todd's a squirrel, right? Why does he have a huge snout, like a rat, in panel seven?
Um, I suppose I should ask why all the animals walk upright, wear clothes and talk while I'm at it.
/never mind, sorry for breaking the mood
-
I like this for the sheer surrealism of the idea. It's just a funny concept. I also like how the party Ray is at is totally unexplained, despite the fact that he appears to have gotten into full suit for it. Also, the concept that anyone would hold a contest about this.
So, yeah. The base ideas are satisfying, anyway.
-
You know full well the party is Ray and Beef in suits watching Braveheart and nothing more.
-
So, yeah. The base ideas are satisfying, anyway.
like buying the most supreme Supreme pizza ever, but despite the carefully selected collection of toppings and top-quality ingredients and preparation, it came out just a little runny and underdone.
-
So, yeah. The base ideas are satisfying, anyway.
like buying the most supreme Supreme pizza ever, but despite the carefully selected collection of toppings and top-quality ingredients and preparation, it came out just a little runny and underdone.
But it's still pretty good, because even tepid pizza, like tepid Achewood, is decently tasty.
Great, now I'm hungry.
-
You know full well the party is Ray and Beef in suits watching Braveheart and nothing more.
Heh!
I took the strip more as Todd's oblique way of threatening to disrupt Ray's high-falutin' party.
-
Todd's a squirrel, right? Why does he have a huge snout, like a rat, in panel seven?
Um, I suppose I should ask why all the animals walk upright, wear clothes and talk while I'm at it.
/never mind, sorry for breaking the mood
Now it's bothering me. I looked back at his first appearance (normal squirrel head shape) and the Toilet Party sequence (this weird little rat nose thing) and am wondering when things changed. It definitely is unnerving when you actually think about it. Anyone out there more desperate to dodge work than I willing to page through the archives?
-
Also, the concept that anyone would hold a contest about this.
This reminds me of a bar game some friends of mine played once, long ago. It was called the "c*ck Game" and it started off with one person mumbling the word "c*ck" in a barely audible manner. The second person had to say it a bit louder, then back to the first guy who said it louder still. If this game goes "right," pretty soon you have two people yelling the word "c*ck" at the top of their lungs until their ankle veins burst. The game is over when one of the contestants finally regains a sense of shame and stops yelling "c*ck." It was a sad spectacle.
I bet Onstad played this game in college.
-
Anyone out there more desperate to dodge work than I willing to page through the archives?
There is nothing better than using Achewood to avoid work. As of 3/18/04, Todd still has a normal head. I will post updates to this.
I wonder why Todd doesn't have a blog. I know he's illiterate, but when has that ever stopped anyone from having a blog.
-
Did Ray always treat Todd like this? "This ain't no party of crap dudes"?
And parting with $50 bucks shouldn't mean much to him either.
-
Anyone out there more desperate to dodge work than I willing to page through the archives?
There is nothing better than using Achewood to avoid work. As of 3/18/04, Todd still has a normal head. I will post updates to this.
I wonder why Todd doesn't have a blog. I know he's illiterate, but when has that ever stopped anyone from having a blog.
Coke screwed up his septum. Stop wasting time and get back to work.
-
Did Ray always treat Todd like this? "This ain't no party of crap dudes"?
And parting with $50 bucks shouldn't mean much to him either.
It's not the money. Todd is a thong-stealing, drug-dealing, foul-mouthed, foul-minded shiv-toting piece of shit.
-
Uh I just surfaced to note that as of December 31, 2004 (last Todd sighting: May 12, 2004) all Todd appearances have been normal.
Um uh hold on it looks like he appeared January 12 and his face is starting to look all mutant.
It must be when he got fat that the change did come upon him.
-
For most of the party, Todd looks pretty normal. He appears again on March 10, 2005 and again appears normal.
It is a mystery.
His appearance in the Kut-Me Ups, of April 22, is that of the normal Todd. He is also normal on the 25th of the same month.
Seems a definite mutant in his appearance on April 28; the same can be said when he showed up on May 2. This seems to be where it starts. I imagine he walked through a test area and was irradiated by a gamma ray blast.
Now I have to do actual work now.
-
On first read I wasn't diggin this one. Maybe I didn't get it... I don't know. But on a solid second read, a little more awake, I love this!
You... are... terrible...
Also I think it is funny that even Ray thinks Todd is a crap dude lately. He must have done something really awful since this...
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01122005
This strip has at least 3 laughs in it. 3! That is amazing. I'm glad I got it finally.
-
This reminds me of a bar game some friends of mine played once, long ago. It was called the "c*ck Game" and it started off with one person mumbling the word "c*ck" in a barely audible manner. The second person had to say it a bit louder, then back to the first guy who said it louder still. If this game goes "right," pretty soon you have two people yelling the word "c*ck" at the top of their lungs until their ankle veins burst.
This is why cock fighting has been made illegal in most places.
-
The idea that the Balls contest thing is all just a veiled threat of what Todd will do if Ray does not give him money makes this so much better for me.
-
I'm with Skillator on this one. At first it seemed funny, now it is hilarious.
"You're terrible! You are terrible!"
These lines make so much sense in the context of Ray's world. It's as if Todd, being illiterate, wouldn't know what an apostrophe is, or a contraction either.