The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: jough on August 25, 2003, 05:58:18 pm

Title: David Schwimmer and Mark Twain (08-25-03)
Post by: jough on August 25, 2003, 05:58:18 pm
What the HELL people?

A new strip and no one has any comments?

So what's the deal with that last panel - Schwimmer is the dog that lands a nickel on his nose?

Strip (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=08252003).
Title: David Schwimmer and Mark Twain - 25 August
Post by: AugustWest on August 25, 2003, 06:27:10 pm
I took it as giving lie to the idea that Americans of the future would be so intellectually inclined as to required special machines meet the chess-playing demands.  Schwimmer is presented as today's version of the nickel nose dog.

Heh, heh.  Nickel Nose Dog -- Band name!
Title: David Schwimmer and Mark Twain - 25 August
Post by: wombat on August 25, 2003, 06:35:09 pm
Confession time, some of us are so out of touch that we didn't comment in the hope that other people's posts would eventually reveal who the heck the guy in the last panel is.
Title: David Schwimmer and Mark Twain - 25 August
Post by: slink on August 25, 2003, 06:47:33 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Schwimmer is presented as today's version of the nickel nose dog.

Heh, heh.  Nickel Nose Dog -- Band name!


Yea I reckon that's what's intended. And damnit, if only I didn't have a band name. Although it turns out some bastards already used it to name their games company...

And wombat - I wish I was as out of touch as that. It saddens me that I know who these 'people' are!
Title: David Schwimmer and Mark Twain - 25 August
Post by: V-Adore on August 25, 2003, 07:08:22 pm
A slightly bizarre strip, and one with a bit more of a stinger than usual, but appropriate.

I'm actually really liking how this is all being shown from Twain's POV, with his running monologue; it probably serves the story better than a Ray POV would have, really. Let's just hope that we get more of Philippe's quest for Santa.
Title: David Schwimmer and Mark Twain - 25 August
Post by: CortJstr on August 25, 2003, 10:21:47 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
A slightly bizarre strip, and one with a bit more of a stinger than usual, but appropriate.

I'm actually really liking how this is all being shown from Twain's POV, with his running monologue; it probably serves the story better than a Ray POV would have, really. Let's just hope that we get more of Philippe's quest for Santa.


Also, it's easier to draw since Twain rarely appears this way. I'm not sure if the coolness is the side effect or vice versa.
Title: David Schwimmer and Mark Twain - 25 August
Post by: side_show on August 25, 2003, 10:35:10 pm
Schwimmer. Is. Not. Rad
Title: David Schwimmer and Mark Twain - 25 August
Post by: starlight on August 26, 2003, 12:55:20 am
I'm enjoying the mention of eBay over and over again muchly - maybe my mom should sell time travel machines on her account :D

Bah to Schwimmer - he has that 'uh duh with a slice of I'm tryin' to be suave' look goin' on.  certainly not rad.
I do admit I like to watch Friends
Title: 10 seasons of land a wooden nickel on his nose
Post by: pmcd9 on August 26, 2003, 01:13:36 am
A spring loaded dog that can land a nickel on his nose is pretty cool, but not for 10 frickin' seasons.

~Paul
Title: David Schwimmer and Mark Twain - 25 August
Post by: Thak on August 27, 2003, 01:42:22 am
Oh man, I loved this strip.
Title: David Schwimmer and Mark Twain - 25 August
Post by: side_show on August 28, 2003, 12:23:03 am
Quote from: "Asherdan"
Quote from: "side_show"
Schwimmer. Is. Not. Rad


Neither. Is. Leaching. Bandwidth.


Umm, I don't know anything about computers - am I doing something bad?  I don't even own a working system, and post from work.  please explain.
Title: David Schwimmer and Mark Twain - 25 August
Post by: Nabubrush on August 28, 2003, 06:59:39 am
The avatar?
Title: David Schwimmer and Mark Twain - 25 August
Post by: V-Adore on August 28, 2003, 07:55:44 am
Quote from: "side_show"
Quote from: "Asherdan"
Quote from: "side_show"
Schwimmer. Is. Not. Rad


Neither. Is. Leaching. Bandwidth.


Umm, I don't know anything about computers - am I doing something bad?  I don't even own a working system, and post from work.  please explain.

I think what he means is that (presumably) you linked your avatar straight from achewood.com webspace. When you do that, it basically steals bandwidth from Onstad, as it loads from his site. This is generally not a good thing to do.

The solution is to download the image and either put in on your own webspace, find a friend who's willing to host it, or find one of the several free hosts on the Web and upload it there. Easier for everyone.
Title: David Schwimmer and Mark Twain - 25 August
Post by: jough on August 28, 2003, 08:10:14 am
I e-mailed Onstad some instructions on how to stop people from hotlinking his images today.

He's kinda lazy, though, and not too technically minded, so I don't know if he'll follow through.

Pretty easy, though, to upload a .htaccess file.

Anyway, that would fix his hotlinking problem once and for all.
Title: David Schwimmer and Mark Twain - 25 August
Post by: side_show on August 28, 2003, 08:50:42 pm
Thanks all - I had no idea that what I was doinq was wrong, so I apreciate all your help.