The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: jay-ell on August 01, 2003, 04:57:07 pm

Title: Favorite Musical Genre?
Post by: jay-ell on August 01, 2003, 04:57:07 pm
Vote.  Discuss.  You know the drill.
Title: Favorite Musical Genre?
Post by: Flenker on August 01, 2003, 05:03:17 pm
Mine's kind of a combination....  I used to be hardcore into punk/ska, but now I'm more of a fan of emo/folk/whatever.  But out of the choices given, I will stick with my roots and go punk rock
Title: Favorite Musical Genre?
Post by: yahnai on August 01, 2003, 06:19:04 pm
man, i think you're missing some genres in there.
Title: Favorite Musical Genre?
Post by: CortJstr on August 01, 2003, 06:41:09 pm
True, that list hella needs Latvian Nostril Chant but I'm guessing you're only allowed like 8 options in a poll.
Title: Favorite Musical Genre?
Post by: jay-ell on August 01, 2003, 06:57:25 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
True, that list hella needs Latvian Nostril Chant but I'm guessing you're only allowed like 8 options in a poll.


ding ding ding!  

If you've got something not listed, just post about it here.  I didn't have room to add "Soundscapes."
Title: Favorite Musical Genre?
Post by: slink on August 01, 2003, 07:25:07 pm
Desert rock...
Kyuss, Queens of the Stone Age, Orchesta del Desierto, Masters of Reality, Hermano, Unida, The Desert Sessions, Mark Lanegan's solo works.
Anything Josh Hommes touches turns instantly to gold!
(Welcome to Sky Valley by Kyuss is just a beautiful album)
But on the other hand I listen to so much varied stuff... My other current fave would probably be like, everything by Tom Waits.
Title: Favorite Musical Genre?
Post by: misterhaan on August 01, 2003, 08:07:54 pm
i'm mostly into electronic, which i take as a broad category including industrial, house, synthpop, and other forms of interesting wierdness.
Title: Favorite Musical Genre?
Post by: ferocious j on August 01, 2003, 08:10:51 pm
I didn't see electronic anything in there, which I think deserves a mention.
Title: Favorite Musical Genre?
Post by: CortJstr on August 01, 2003, 08:28:30 pm
Rock is just a baby the blues had.
Title: Favorite Musical Genre?
Post by: jay-ell on August 01, 2003, 08:37:00 pm
Electronic has been added in place of "show tunes" (which was basically a gag anyway).
Title: Favorite Musical Genre?
Post by: doomglobe on August 01, 2003, 09:16:00 pm
I like the grateful dead, bagpipe music (mostly highland pipes), folk tunes, classic rock (if that means more grateful dead and hendrix and zepelin and beetles) and rap, and classical, and blues, and jazz, and techno, and 80's music, and rock, and country (as long as it is willy nelson), and metal, and alot of other things, BUT ONLY IF ITS GOOD.
Title: Favorite Musical Genre?
Post by: starlight on August 01, 2003, 10:33:54 pm
I chose electronic considering I've been searching out more german electronic pop and some synthpop.

I also like indie rock/pop, new wave, britrock, some punk/emocore, etcetc.
I'll listen to anything that's good really, but those are the basics
Title: Favorite Musical Genre?
Post by: AugustWest on August 02, 2003, 02:14:36 am
Yeah, what about jazz.  Or bluegrass.  I listen to a lot of those.

Also, mostly classic rock type stuff.  Grateful Dead (thus the name), Zappa, Floyd, Hendrix, Dylan, Procul Harem, Little Feat.  The ususal suspects.

There was an Onion story which I am too lazy to search for, about a guy whose cultural clock stopped ticking in 1989.  Sometimes I feel like I'm that guy, at least musically.  Which sucks.  

Around here on the radio its either Classic Rock (Eagles, Arrowsmith, the same few Zeppelin and Floyd tunes, Van Halen) or bad new Rock or very very very bad Pop.  Thanks CLEAR CHANNEL!
Title: Favorite Musical Genre?
Post by: slink on August 02, 2003, 02:31:05 am
I know what you mean about being stuck pre '89. I was the same. Still am mostly, except since I found the Desert stuff, that brought me up to date a good deal! In one genre...
Man I wish I could list all the music I like, but since music is about the most important thing in my life there's just too much of it to mention and if I try I leave too many out and feel bad about that.
Title: Favorite Musical Genre?
Post by: jay-ell on August 02, 2003, 03:15:11 am
Quote from: "AugustWest"

There was an Onion story which I am too lazy to search for, about a guy whose cultural clock stopped ticking in 1989.  Sometimes I feel like I'm that guy, at least musically.


'89?  Dang, that's the new stuff.  

I like classic Zepplin, Seger, Joplin, Hendrix, ZZ Top, CCR, and Stevie Ray.  (Talk about some BLUES -- Stevie Ray's the best of all possible worlds.)  I'm also into Mark Knopfler/Dire Straights; I think he and Neal Peart are at least in the top five when it comes to lyricists.  And then there's all that late '70's/early '80's glam stuff -- Joan Jett, Heart, Queen, etc.  There's a special place in my heart for that because it was the first real rock I ever heard -- I was in preschool at the time and I instantly fell in love with my older brother's Foreigner tapes.  

'Stad forbid, I even like The Clash.
Title: Favorite Musical Genre?
Post by: Vinz Clortho on August 02, 2003, 03:43:31 am
I listened to nothing but Oingo Boingo during the month of July, and it was awesome.  They were my constant companions.  They sang of dead men's parties while I wrote, they sang of undercover Cinderella while I ate.  They even sang of romancing little girls while I worked in the garden under neighbors' unsure glares.

God bless those Mystic Knights.
Title: Favorite Musical Genre?
Post by: AugustWest on August 02, 2003, 04:33:35 am
JL, you're a girl after my own heart.  Couple things tho...

You like Mark Knopfler for his lyrics?  That's kinda like appreciating Bob Dylan for his vocals.  Maybe not quite that extreme.  But Knopfler is the best guitarist since Eric Clapton.  Possibly even better.  Hell, Chet Atkins admired him, I can't imagine much greater praise.  Giving it further thought, I guess he is a pretty good lyricist, too.

ZZTop, heh.  I was backstage at a ZZTop concert in '91.  The Black Crowes were opening for them on that tour, and I went to high school with their drummer.

My goodness yes.  Queen rocks.  Brian May is underrated as a player.  That's one band I never got to see live and I eternally regret it.

You were in preschool and there were multiple Foreigner albums out.  You're just a baby!  Hell Foreigner was like the 3d album I ever bought (on 8-track no less) in 8th grade.  I think I still have it. Sheesh.
Title: Favorite Musical Genre?
Post by: jay-ell on August 02, 2003, 04:42:00 am
Head Games came out the year I was born.  Oh yeah.  I'm young.
Title: Favorite Musical Genre?
Post by: Choop on August 02, 2003, 03:36:46 pm
Vote one for synth-post/prog-rock/electro-funk.

Basically, if it has a hyphen and lacks the homonym for female genitalia (the crude one), I'm probably into it.

Also: quick suggestion: update the skin to use the <label> tag?
Title: Favorite Musical Genre?
Post by: Nabubrush on August 02, 2003, 09:20:22 pm
Slink: I thought Kyuss and QOTSA were "stoner-rock"?
JLD: I saw SRV up here, in AK, about 3 months before he died. Best show ever (so far).
Also, R & B should have been on that list - but not that new school bastardized stuff that they've mislabeled.
Title: Favorite Musical Genre?
Post by: slink on August 02, 2003, 09:52:36 pm
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Slink: I thought Kyuss and QOTSA were "stoner-rock"?


Well, lots of people say so, though Hommes and Oliveri dispute that fact lots and tend to call themselves '*****-rock'.
But they're from the same scene as all the desert rock, and Kyuss were one of the ones that pretty much founded the scene, so it's all kind of one and the same. stoner and desert are somewhat interchangable.
Title: Favorite Musical Genre?
Post by: Nabubrush on August 02, 2003, 10:05:21 pm
I picked up an Aerosmith tribute album, and every band on there is listed in allmusic as being stoner rock. I thought that was pretty funny. I mean, judging from my time in high school, LZ/Pink Floyd/Black Sabbath/everything recorded between 1967 and 1979 is stoner rock.
Title: Favorite Musical Genre?
Post by: andalucia on August 03, 2003, 03:48:14 am
Indie rock:  Sonic Youth, Yo La Tengo, Neutral Milk Hotel, Elliott Smith, Neil Halstead, They Might be Giants, Beat Happening, the Velvet Underground......... ah.  You know.

Essentially, I'm a big geek.

I always find it really interesting to read about what music people who like the same kind of books/comics etc as me listen to, or what kind of literature people who listen to the same kind of music as me read.... on a sonic youth message board I used to frequent, most everyone was into beat generation writers like Kerouac and Burroughs.  I fit right in, it was swell.
Title: Favorite Musical Genre?
Post by: Nabubrush on August 03, 2003, 04:16:43 am
It's strange - I so want to like TMBG and Velvet Underground, I've given them chance after chance and I own albums by both - but I just can't.
Title: Favorite Musical Genre?
Post by: pubdoggy on August 03, 2003, 02:04:27 pm
can I just say.... David Bowie? or not?
Title: Favorite Musical Genre?
Post by: slink on August 04, 2003, 04:55:40 am
Hell, The Doors do that to anyone vaguely (in)sane!
I did the same a while back. My brother, being far far richer than me, has been collecting a bunch of albums on CD that he and I listened to when we were kids loads. I also managed to get a few together myself. But everytime I listen to them I just sit back and remember the good old carefree days.
Boss Hog, Alice in Chains, Faith no More (Angel Dust), Violent Femmes, PJ Harvey - dry, and things like Cake, They Might be Giants, Tom Waits, Soundgarden and NIN - Pretty Hate Machine that I've always listened to since anyway. I mean, basically any of the greats from the late 80's to like 92 at the latest.
Now as adults, and actually friends now we've started hanging together every few weeks and having a smoke and introducing each other to new music we find (often not quite so new mind you), and again, good feelings!
He picked me up an MP3 CD player for my car this christmas as well, so I been putting together cd's with the 700 minutes of music that I need. At the moment Sublime - Sublime has been played quite a lot.
Title: Favorite Musical Genre?
Post by: Nabubrush on August 04, 2003, 10:16:44 am
Asherdan is my hero for all time for liking Greivous Bodily Harm. There will be no debate. Also, I was going to put this in a new thread, but I'll do it here as I'm saving the big-ass new subject for something I'm going to put together tomorrow when I am sober. Here 'tis: If you like any popular music recorded since 1980, I demand that you go out right now (if you have disposable income and the stores are open) and purchase The New Pornographers "Mass Romantic". I will tell you this right now, it will increase your capacity to love. It's just that simple. I listened to it on the way home tonight, and I love my girlfriend more than I did before - and I loved her a lot already. Just buy it. Now.