The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: Oz! on August 28, 2005, 09:34:56 am
-
G'day,
This message contains me plugging my web comic. You will note I have generously interpreted my comic as arts & entertainment. I am not sure if I am really allowed to do this kind of thing? If not, my apologies! I would also like to go on official record as saying that I think Achewood is probably the pinnacle of human achievement. God it's good!
So, g'day again, I have recently hooked up a webpage for my exciting comic http://OZONTHEINTERNET.com. You will like my comics because they are very humorous and fun to read. The internet is a friendly place for me to make new mates!!! Please be my mate!
thank you very much,
-OZ
-
I like your comic very much. Also, you have great taste in music.
~Paul
-
If you want to make a good Webcomic, I would advise brevity. Most comics, even Achewod, reach their funny in three to six small panels without masses of text. The only exception I can think of is Dinosaur Comics, but Ryan has some flexibility there because everyone knows all the artwork is the same. This comic lacks brevity.
I would also advise having actual punchlines and being funny. Thus far this comic is lacking in that regard.
-
I'm confused, does that guy have a beard, or is he the Elephant Man?
Also, sorry, but I did not find it funny.
-
The artwork reminds me a little bit of James Thurber. The writing reminds me of someone wears a Ratt t-shirt because they think it's funny-ironic when it's just I-paid-$20-for-this-ironic.
I'm not really good with description. It felt like when Onstad does an alt-text where he boils down what's going on in the strip do it's most basic and ridiculous, but instead of a sentence it's half a page. That's bad. So was the other thing.
I don't mind telling you this because it probably won't make you stop. I also thought your second 'g'day' wasn't needed.
-
I'm not totally sure I get it. Am I supposed to get it? Please advise.
-
We're getting soft. Where's the post that berates Oz! for having his or her first post be promoting his or her personal webcomic? To say nothing of the exclamation point in his or her name.
-
Your comic does not engage my interest and you registered for an MB specifically to plug your comic.
F, see me after class.
-
We're getting soft. Where's the post that berates Oz! for having his or her first post be promoting his or her personal webcomic? To say nothing of the exclamation point in his or her name.
I took that much as implied. You know, the whole "you registered just to pimp your comic and that is TERRIBLE" thing. Some messages can be assumed to hold regardless.
-
I was going to post something about the comic being awful and about the sadness of Oz's life, but then I remembered that I had, you know, better things to do, so I figured I'd leave the TOUAMB chastising to those with less of a life.
Welcome to the board Oz! (!). I doubt that I shall see you here againe.
-
Welcome to the board Oz! (!). I doubt that I shall see you here againe.
I can't tell if this is a prediction or a menacing statement of fact.
-
My guess would be a prediction, given the general tendency of people like this not to come back. That said, for the record, Oz(!) is welcome to come back and actually discuss Achewood if he'd like to. Reading his comics, I sense that he likes it quite a bit.
-
Art: Shite.
Writing: Mostly Meh, with a side of Right On.
Attitude: Five Stars. (*****) (out of five) (five stars, that is) (five stars out of five for attitude, I mean) (I like your exciting attitude)
-
Cheers everybody, one way or the other! Yeah, apologies again for creating an account just to plug. That is pretty low. I mean as far as I could see nobody else had done this but I couldn't see any explicit guidance against it and I guess I am a very optimistic person!
My head: "Yes people will definitely enjoy another web comic with poor artwork and uncertain dialogue, and will consider it to be a brilliant commentary on modern life."
I think a lack of brevity is a pretty fair criticism. I would like to improve on that! I don't know James Thurber or Ratt, sorry!
In summary, I do like achewood a whole lot!
-
Man, I swear I thought I blocked all handles with exclamation marks in them...
-
I was going to post something about (...) the sadness of Oz's life
I believe that's MY speciality!
-
It's tiring to read because there are too many words. I don't know if it's funny, I can't get to the end of any of them.
It's hard to look at because the drawings are kind of crude and the proportions are off in a way that makes them all look kind of deformed.
HOWEVER
Good on you for putting it out there, that's more than I have done.
-
I think a lack of brevity is a pretty fair criticism. I would like to improve on that! I don't know James Thurber or Ratt, sorry!
Get drunk and read Hemingway passages into a tape recorder. Then record yourself paraphrasing what happened in those passages. Listen and compare when sober. Repeat until your drunk self is succinct. If you can do it drunk, you can do it sober.
-
I think a lack of brevity is a pretty fair criticism. I would like to improve on that! I don't know James Thurber or Ratt, sorry!
I would recommend a little Thurber. Writing is pretty funny and a lot of it doesn't get too dated - comedic writing is especially subject to that - plus, he went to Ohio State so how can you go wrong?
Clicky Here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Thurber)
-
My girlfriend works at Thurber House, James' boyhood home which has now been turned into a museum and literary center. It's also supposed to be hell of haunted, a belief supported by the first-hand experiences of many people I otherwise trust to be of superior intellect and reason.
Thurber's writing definitely stands up over time. He also drew cartoons, what like the kind that show up in the New Yorker. The Algonquin Hotel in NYC uses some of them as wallpaper.
Maybe in 75 years some new boutique hotel will use Oz panels to cover the walls of the halls.
Probably not.
-
Thurber contributed to the New Yorker for over 20 years, I think. He was nearly blind which is why his cartoons look like they do - generally he drew them in thick marker on large sheets of paper because his eyesight was poor.
-
Thurber rawks!
Check out The Day the Dam Burst.
-
Oh! Oh! Is this a suggestion for our book club?
Also, Oz gets the Polyanna award for August.
-
Oh! Oh! Is this a suggestion for our book club?
Also, Oz gets the Polyanna award for August.
Well, The Day the Dam Burst is a short story, like most of Thurber's work, so I don't know how well it would work. Also, I'm about halfway through Geek Love, so if we do put it (or a collection of Thurber) on the list, let's make it for October.
-
Thanks for the Thurber information!
Also, Oz gets the Polyanna award for August.
Sorry, I am also unfamiliar with this expression. Judging by my google research, you could mean:
a) I am trying to make everyone else happy
b) I am myself unjustifiably happy
I would accept the charge of a), but not so much b). Still, thank you for the award!
-
I meant a) my friend, definitly a).
-
You definitely get mad points for being cheerful about all of this (and actually showing back up), Oz!. This is rather classier than most people who make their first posts comic ads can manage.
-
i am transfixed in a startling manner.
extraordinarily startling.
someone,
help me.
please.
-
i am transfixed in a startling manner.
extraordinarily startling.
someone,
help me.
please.
Here, stare at this (http://www.cortjstr.com/images/canadian_destroyer.gif) for a while.
-
i am transfixed in a startling manner.
extraordinarily startling.
someone,
help me.
please.
Here, stare at this (http://www.cortjstr.com/images/canadian_destroyer.gif) for a while.
Okay, I'm confused. Which of those guys is doing the move on the other? It seems like nobody involved is really coming out of it well.
-
i am transfixed in a startling manner.
extraordinarily startling.
someone,
help me.
please.
Here, stare at this (http://www.cortjstr.com/images/canadian_destroyer.gif) for a while.
Okay, I'm confused. Which of those guys is doing the move on the other? It seems like nobody involved is really coming out of it well.
It's a piledriver. So the guy landing on his head is the victim. The attacker uses a front flip to make it look cooler and in theory at add some acceleration thus increasing force.
-
You definitely get mad points for being cheerful about all of this (and actually showing back up), Oz!. This is rather classier than most people who make their first posts comic ads can manage.
Cheers V-Adore! As I see it, I broke into your community just to basically say how great I am. In the event that I flash you, you have every right to laugh at my c*ck. That is the ethics of this situation.
-
i am transfixed in a startling manner.
extraordinarily startling.
someone,
help me.
please.
Here, stare at this (http://www.cortjstr.com/images/canadian_destroyer.gif) for a while.
Okay, I'm confused. Which of those guys is doing the move on the other? It seems like nobody involved is really coming out of it well.
It's a piledriver. So the guy landing on his head is the victim. The attacker uses a front flip to make it look cooler and in theory at add some acceleration thus increasing force.
I FEEL BETTER NOW THANK YOU!
-
1) Yes Oz (sorry no exclaimation mark - j'refuse), V hits the nail on the head. What I meant, in my muttery, sarcastic way, is that inspite of all the angry responses to your first post, you've continued to post friendly, almost happy-go-luck posts. It's a bit of a surprise, considering most people who post dickish self promoting, self congradulating, or otherwise rude first posts do, indeed, turn out to be dicks.
2) CJ that clip is like the human version of that office desk ball bearing toy.
-
Cheers side_show as well! I like this board, you all seem pretty much articulate and interesting. I'm sorry you collectively did not like my comic!
Man, you don't have to apologise, Oz is my name! To explain the exclamation mark, many message boards and other accounts only allow usernames with between 3 and 20 characters, so I got into the habit of using one. Mind you I don't have anything against exclamation marks! I like them a lot!
Thank you again,
-OZ
-
Dang people we are getting soft, even he says we should be laughing at his c*ck and instead you're all saying what a good attitude he has.
Also, it makes me want to cry that someone doesn't know who Thurber is.
-
pocketa-pocketa-pocketa
-
Dang people we are getting soft, even he says we should be laughing at his c*ck and instead you're all saying what a good attitude he has.
Also, it makes me want to cry that someone doesn't know who Thurber is.
I think soft is OK!
As to Thurber, I am still young and am learning all the time (also from Western Australia).
-
I think soft is OK!
Shut the fuck up, ass-tonguer, no one fuck*ng asked you what you thought.
Better, Wombat?
Also, Oz, by all means continue to hang out, as long as you're not pimping your comic (which, isn't bad, just verbose and crudely drawn - two things you can certainly improve upon with practice) in every single thread, like that crazy old uncle who tells everyone he meets, repeatedly, that he once used a bathroom that was previously used by Elvis and just took as deep a breath as possible to, you know, take in as much of the King as he could.
-
Thanks very much jough!
I promise I will not plug my comic here any more! Even if someone asks me to! Even if Kofi Annan asks me to!!
I am that kind of person no more!
No disrespect, but I'm not sure I will be able to contribute too much to this board. I think if I started spending time on this board I would end up spending a LOT of time and me and the internet kind of need some time apart right now, just to reassess our relationship. In particular it is spring!! That means it is time to pick up sheilas!!
Thanks very much again,
-OZ