The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Noah on September 13, 2005, 07:47:33 am

Title: Tuesday, Sep 13 Cartilage Head
Post by: Noah on September 13, 2005, 07:47:33 am
this strip is hilarious when you're listening to cheesy upbeat dance music that some kid in new zealand sent to you
Title: Tuesday, Sep 13 Cartilage Head
Post by: cellardoor on September 13, 2005, 08:19:56 am
What the...
Title: Tuesday, Sep 13 Cartilage Head
Post by: mudokon on September 13, 2005, 08:26:46 am
Holy shit, this one is hilarious. At first I figured that "Cartilage Head" was simply a redubbed version of "Vegetable Brain", but this was ten times better.
Title: Tuesday, Sep 13 Cartilage Head
Post by: Mantonio on September 13, 2005, 08:37:06 am
God Dammit, I wish I was high. I liked it, but still...I think one needs to be split on green to fully appreciate this strip.
Title: Tuesday, Sep 13 Cartilage Head
Post by: filas on September 13, 2005, 09:18:36 am
cartiledge head . . . his body is also weirdo.
Title: Tuesday, Sep 13 Cartilage Head
Post by: ndpatel on September 13, 2005, 09:32:41 am
this strip makes me wonder, once again: am i the only person who can put his finger on the bridge of his nose and make a loud clicking noise by moving the cartilage back and forth?

everyone gets really grossed out when i do this, it's kind of funny.
Title: Tuesday, Sep 13 Cartilage Head
Post by: mudokon on September 13, 2005, 09:58:46 am
Quote from: "ndpatel"
this strip makes me wonder, once again: am i the only person who can put his finger on the bridge of his nose and make a loud clicking noise by moving the cartilage back and forth?

everyone gets really grossed out when i do this, it's kind of funny.


I tried that just now. A nosebleed was my reward.
Title: Tuesday, Sep 13 Cartilage Head
Post by: JorgeFabregas on September 13, 2005, 10:46:54 am
Silencio!
Title: Tuesday, Sep 13 Cartilage Head
Post by: andalucia on September 13, 2005, 11:38:40 am
Quote from: "JorgeFabregas"
Silencio!


That was my second thought.  My first thought was AAAAAUGH.
Will report back with third thought after attempting a "split on green" interpretation.
Title: Tuesday, Sep 13 Cartilage Head
Post by: MattFish on September 13, 2005, 11:40:51 am
I think we probably deserved a good obtuse strip about now. It's also good to see swinging arms again.

My favorite part is totally "Damn, Cartilage Head, huh? I really wasn't ready for that this week". Also, what on earth is Ray holding at the end there
Title: Tuesday, Sep 13 Cartilage Head
Post by: Doctor C on September 13, 2005, 11:43:54 am
Quote from: "Mattgiraffe"
My favorite part is totally "Damn, Cartilage Head, huh? I really wasn't ready for that this week". Also, what on earth is Ray holding at the end there

I don't think he's holding anything, I think he's just recoiling in horror

Cartilage Head is what would have happened if Tim Burton had made The Nightmare Before Christmas in collaboration with David Lynch
Title: Tuesday, Sep 13 Cartilage Head
Post by: Doc on September 13, 2005, 12:05:25 pm
Not to be a dick but is Onstad re-using panels now? I'm not complaining, the strip is gold and the bottom three rows are all new but I just want to be sure I'm not crazy. I don't even like bringing it up, I feel like I've lost at some game of 'lets see if the pathetic fans will bitch about this' that Onstad is playing.
The implication that they don't really want to go to Cartlage head but have to for some reason makes this way better for me.
Also Ray's reaction is exactly my expression when a friend took me to a movie recently called Mysterious Skin.
Title: Tuesday, Sep 13 Cartilage Head
Post by: CortJstr on September 13, 2005, 12:51:12 pm
Cartilage Head looks sort of like Marathe's wife in Infinite Jest.

It's going to be a couple weeks before I stop relating everything to that damn book. But don't worry, I'm meeting Terry Pratchett tonight and finally starting Discworld.
Title: Tuesday, Sep 13 Cartilage Head
Post by: V-Adore on September 13, 2005, 01:38:10 pm
I like the hell out of this strip.

That's all.
Title: Tuesday, Sep 13 Cartilage Head
Post by: JordanB on September 13, 2005, 02:49:24 pm
I haven't been this creeped out by an Achewood strip
since Trouble-Man and No-No.

Ray's probably the sort of guy who feels self-conscious
that he doesn't move his arms enough or doesn't make himself
noticable enough when he walks, so he swings them
really wide.  Am I the only who finds that distracting?
Title: Tuesday, Sep 13 Cartilage Head
Post by: Max on September 13, 2005, 04:20:50 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Cartilage Head looks sort of like Marathe's wife in Infinite Jest.

It's going to be a couple weeks before I stop relating everything to that damn book. But don't worry, I'm meeting Terry Pratchett tonight and finally starting Discworld.


If you're like most people I know you'll never fully escape the trajectory of that book.

Is this a reaction to recent (apt) criticism that achewood was getting too sitcom-ish?  Is Onstad silently keeping tabs here?
Title: Tuesday, Sep 13 Cartilage Head
Post by: Golfhaus on September 13, 2005, 04:39:38 pm
Awesome strip. I, too, enjoy the don't-really-want-to-go-but-can't-pass-up nature of Ray's acceptance of the ticket.
Title: Tuesday, Sep 13 Cartilage Head
Post by: BatzRadio on September 13, 2005, 05:07:36 pm
Cartilage Head looks for all the world like he belongs in a Liquid Television short.

Or maybe a Silly Symphonies reel that creeped Walt Disney the fuck out so much that he buried it in the deepest, darkest pit in Anaheim.

I approve.
Title: Tuesday, Sep 13 Cartilage Head
Post by: evan on September 13, 2005, 05:12:49 pm
Quote from: "Mattgiraffe"
Also, what on earth is Ray holding at the end there

A rolled up program?
Title: Tuesday, Sep 13 Cartilage Head
Post by: MattFish on September 13, 2005, 05:17:47 pm
Quote from: "evan"
Quote from: "Mattgiraffe"
Also, what on earth is Ray holding at the end there

A rolled up program?


That would make sense. I apparently fell victim to I THOUGHT THIS WAS A 7 PANEL STRIP again, so sorry that my comments made no sense.

I looked at this in class again, noticed the outright horror at the bottom, and gave a similar reaction to Ray here.

I am really quite scared. The weepings from his eyes are the thing of nightmares.
Title: Tuesday, Sep 13 Cartilage Head
Post by: Polka on September 13, 2005, 05:34:03 pm
Quote from: "ndpatel"
this strip makes me wonder, once again: am i the only person who can put his finger on the bridge of his nose and make a loud clicking noise by moving the cartilage back and forth?

everyone gets really grossed out when i do this, it's kind of funny.


I make a very quiet noise doing that, but if I grab the cartilage it makes lots of noice. Do you have a huge nose like I have a huge nose?
Title: Tuesday, Sep 13 Cartilage Head
Post by: jough on September 13, 2005, 05:40:08 pm
For a sold-out show the theatre seems awfully empty.
Title: Tuesday, Sep 13 Cartilage Head
Post by: AlohaDawg on September 13, 2005, 06:14:49 pm
It never said it was sold out - just that the tickets were only available outside of the open market.

Like, it's so weird and alternative that you have to know someone.

Which it seems to be....yuck.

This is a good example of a strip that lives entirely on the drawing - I love Ray's suit and and the subtle changes of his face and body position.
Title: Tuesday, Sep 13 Cartilage Head
Post by: ndpatel on September 13, 2005, 08:16:13 pm
Quote from: "Polka"
Quote from: "ndpatel"
this strip makes me wonder, once again: am i the only person who can put his finger on the bridge of his nose and make a loud clicking noise by moving the cartilage back and forth?

everyone gets really grossed out when i do this, it's kind of funny.


I make a very quiet noise doing that, but if I grab the cartilage it makes lots of noice. Do you have a huge nose like I have a huge nose?


grabbing the cartilage results in a small noise. i think i have a moderately sized nose. honestly, i think we might just have freak noses--i've never met anyone else who can do this, across the nose size spectrum.

i feel bad for the nosebleed guy, but i still laughed.
Title: Tuesday, Sep 13 Cartilage Head
Post by: James on September 13, 2005, 11:04:00 pm
Hey... hey, Brits!

"It's NOT finished!"

"........It's finished!"

Huh? Huh? Who's with me.
Title: Tuesday, Sep 13 Cartilage Head
Post by: takethemoneyandRUN on September 14, 2005, 12:51:17 am
HAHAHA, holy crap this strip was gold.
Title: Tuesday, Sep 13 Cartilage Head
Post by: G3K on September 14, 2005, 01:10:19 am
Quote from: "ndpatel"
this strip makes me wonder, once again: am i the only person who can put his finger on the bridge of his nose and make a loud clicking noise by moving the cartilage back and forth?

everyone gets really grossed out when i do this, it's kind of funny.
No sir, you are not the only one.  It's not too loud, but I can definitely feel some sort of audible pressure relief when I do it.  Figured it out after sinus surgery several years back, with nothing else to do with my sweet, sweet Codeine Time.
Title: Tuesday, Sep 13 Cartilage Head
Post by: Beatrice on September 14, 2005, 04:24:48 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"

... This is a good example of a strip that lives entirely on the drawing ...


This strip is NOT handicap accessible.  There are no invisible jokes.
Title: Tuesday, Sep 13 Cartilage Head
Post by: tcc on September 14, 2005, 07:44:10 am
yet another weird nose here - just a small click

good strip too
Title: Tuesday, Sep 13 Cartilage Head
Post by: pubdoggy on September 14, 2005, 08:13:49 am
Fancy that. I didn't even crack a hairline smile for this one. Ray's swinging arms ARE distracting, his lounge suit is nice but the drawing of cartilage head did nothing for me, you know, down there.
Title: Tuesday, Sep 13 Cartilage Head
Post by: MattFish on September 14, 2005, 10:50:09 pm
Quote from: "tcc"
just a small click


You don't need to ask how I read that at first glance
Title: Tuesday, Sep 13 Cartilage Head
Post by: natasha on September 14, 2005, 11:06:19 pm
Quote from: "Mattgiraffe"
Quote from: "tcc"
just a small click


You don't need to ask how I read that at first glance



pervert! oh, wait. i did, too.   :lol:
Title: Tuesday, Sep 13 Cartilage Head
Post by: keef on September 16, 2005, 06:24:09 am
You know, I went to see Jandek a few weeks ago, and I felt a lot like I imagine Ray did-- the "I wasn't ready for that this week," but the inability to pass it up.
Title: Tuesday, Sep 13 Cartilage Head
Post by: andalucia on September 16, 2005, 12:03:44 pm
Quote from: "keef"
You know, I went to see Jandek a few weeks ago, and I felt a lot like I imagine Ray did-- the "I wasn't ready for that this week," but the inability to pass it up.


Shit, man, I don't want to derail or nothing, but how was it?
Title: Tuesday, Sep 13 Cartilage Head
Post by: Golfhaus on September 19, 2005, 05:22:04 pm
I've been trying to figure out an appropriate instrument to play on the old-school phonograph during a Cartilege Head performance, and I can do no better than to suggest... a theremin.
Title: Tuesday, Sep 13 Cartilage Head
Post by: AlohaDawg on September 19, 2005, 05:58:33 pm
Quote from: "Golfhaus"
I've been trying to figure out an appropriate instrument to play on the old-school phonograph during a Cartilege Head performance, and I can do no better than to suggest... a theremin.


That's perfect.
Title: Tuesday, Sep 13 Cartilage Head
Post by: jough on September 19, 2005, 06:36:01 pm
I hear the theme from "Curb Your Enthusiasm" playing as I watch CH.
Title: Tuesday, Sep 13 Cartilage Head
Post by: Mantonio on September 19, 2005, 08:39:05 pm
Quote from: "jough"
I hear the theme from "Curb Your Enthusiasm" playing as I watch CH.


I had just downloaded a song called "Cocaine Bill" by Eugene Ripper from iTunes and was listening to it for the first time when I read the first CH strip.

It seemed appropriate.