The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: nationwide on September 14, 2005, 09:39:54 am

Title: Sep. 14, 2005 - The Usher With The Robin's Egg Gloves
Post by: nationwide on September 14, 2005, 09:39:54 am
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=09142005

Will Ray teach Cartilage Head how to Love? Will someone explain why it looks like CH is eating at a desk?

For some reason, I half-expect Robert Johnson to show up in this arc. Great to see Onstad's back into this kind of mood.
Title: Sep. 14, 2005 - The Usher With The Robin's Egg Gloves
Post by: AugustWest on September 14, 2005, 02:41:50 pm
This is the creepiest thing since the super-secret ice cream parlor.

Eep.
Title: oh fuck
Post by: Suckin_Dick on September 14, 2005, 02:42:35 pm
oh fuck oh fuck oh fuckoh fuck oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck

that is probably the creepiest thing i've seen in forever

oh holy fuck...

wait i forgot, fuck get's filtered don't it...

oh well.

still!  creepy!

[EDIT]

oh wait no it doesn't.
Title: Sep. 14, 2005 - The Usher With The Robin's Egg Gloves
Post by: Mantonio on September 14, 2005, 02:48:06 pm
Ain't no better Achewood than Achewood Noir.
Title: Sep. 14, 2005 - The Usher With The Robin's Egg Gloves
Post by: JordanB on September 14, 2005, 03:06:15 pm
Who WAS that fellow who passed Ray the invitation?
Was he wearing a yarmulke?
Did he leave a trail of dust behind him?
Title: Sep. 14, 2005 - The Usher With The Robin's Egg Gloves
Post by: Max on September 14, 2005, 03:09:57 pm
Is cartilage head offering Ray the empty plate?  Or apologizing for it being empty, or something?  What the hell is going on there?

Also, check out Ray's flustered eyebrow in the last panel.  Detail props for Onstad.
Title: Sep. 14, 2005 - The Usher With The Robin's Egg Gloves
Post by: MSC on September 14, 2005, 03:21:47 pm
It's very Roast Beef-like to have the cheapest seat ... back of the house (row Z-1).  But maybe you need to be near the door when seeing Cartilage Head.
Title: Sep. 14, 2005 - The Usher With The Robin's Egg Gloves
Post by: V-Adore on September 14, 2005, 03:35:39 pm
I don't think there's an interpretation of this strip that isn't creepy as all Hell. But you know what? I love it. I feel like I'm reading a webcomic that matters. And I like it when Onstad creeps me out.

I think the creepiest thing for me may be that Cartilage Head can't stop crying. Not that I can blame him, mind.
Title: Sep. 14, 2005 - The Usher With The Robin's Egg Gloves
Post by: agnes on September 14, 2005, 04:02:23 pm
As granny used to say: Them's ain't tears, them's synovial fluid.
Title: Sep. 14, 2005 - The Usher With The Robin's Egg Gloves
Post by: andalucia on September 14, 2005, 04:28:25 pm
Yeah, so I thought this was a six-panel strip, so I scrolled to the bottom of the second row, paused, and thought AAAGH., but henceforth realized there was more, and scrolled down to the end, and so, on reflection,

AAAGH.
Title: Sep. 14, 2005 - The Usher With The Robin's Egg Gloves
Post by: Golfhaus on September 14, 2005, 05:06:11 pm
Also - I realize I should have mentioned this yesterday, but I really like Ray in the turtleneck. For a guy who spends most of his days wearing a thong, the dude can dress.
Title: Sep. 14, 2005 - The Usher With The Robin's Egg Gloves
Post by: jough on September 14, 2005, 05:11:29 pm
Well, he's gesturing at the plate, and then to Ray, so maybe he is going to eat Ray for dinner, but is very sad about that.
Title: Sep. 14, 2005 - The Usher With The Robin's Egg Gloves
Post by: evan on September 14, 2005, 05:11:59 pm
Did Roast Beef bail on this ticket because he knew what he was getting into?
Title: Sep. 14, 2005 - The Usher With The Robin's Egg Gloves
Post by: antioch on September 14, 2005, 05:21:14 pm
I think CH is going to watch Ray sit at the empty place-setting. Creepy. My skin is crawling for the second time today.

The first time was when I saw a slug on a turtle.
Title: Sep. 14, 2005 - The Usher With The Robin's Egg Gloves
Post by: Turbo Ninja on September 14, 2005, 06:37:16 pm
I agree with Jough - Ray appears to be what's for dinner.
Title: Sep. 14, 2005 - The Usher With The Robin's Egg Gloves
Post by: CortJstr on September 14, 2005, 07:26:57 pm
But the utensils are set-up for Ray's use, not CH's.
Title: Sep. 14, 2005 - The Usher With The Robin's Egg Gloves
Post by: AlohaDawg on September 14, 2005, 08:07:17 pm
is Ray <weeping. in the first row of panels?

Interesting that CH isn't eating but wishes to dine with Ray.

The usher looks weirdly human - is this some underground/human interface and that's why it's secret? Or is the usher just a weird looking rabbit?
Title: Sep. 14, 2005 - The Usher With The Robin's Egg Gloves
Post by: CortJstr on September 14, 2005, 08:18:48 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
The usher looks weirdly human - is this some underground/human interface and that's why it's secret? Or is the usher just a weird looking rabbit?

I thought rabbit or dog based on the ears. In the past rabbits were smaller than the other animals (Hollandaise) but Onstad's not one for continuity
Title: Sep. 14, 2005 - The Usher With The Robin's Egg Gloves
Post by: Mantonio on September 14, 2005, 09:58:29 pm
I immediately thought the usher might be related to Trouble Man when I first saw him.

Speaking of which, I don't think it's entirely a coincidence that this whole Cartlidge Head sequence reminds people of Trouble Man and No-No. Since Beef didn't get the tickets on open market, where did he get them, hmmm? Is he still in touch with that creepy duo?
Title: Sep. 14, 2005 - The Usher With The Robin's Egg Gloves
Post by: Suckin_Dick on September 14, 2005, 10:42:27 pm
i'm afraid trouble man and no-no have absolutely nothing on cartilige head.  this is amazingly creepy, and i really like it, it's good to see onstad getting back to the just sheer oddity that made the strip so charming in the first place.
Title: Sep. 14, 2005 - The Usher With The Robin's Egg Gloves
Post by: MattFish on September 14, 2005, 10:49:07 pm
I love this arc. This is awesome.
Title: Sep. 14, 2005 - The Usher With The Robin's Egg Gloves
Post by: sam_spade on September 15, 2005, 02:10:00 am
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synovial_fluid

Note:
Quote
weeping lubrication


Musical references: "Chromakey Dreamcoat" by Boards of Canada, pretty much anything by Coil.
Title: Sep. 14, 2005 - The Usher With The Robin's Egg Gloves
Post by: Beatrice on September 15, 2005, 12:47:24 pm
i am not so hyped.
Title: Sep. 14, 2005 - The Usher With The Robin's Egg Gloves
Post by: James on September 15, 2005, 02:37:13 pm
Presumably Cartilage Head makes a habit of this. "To The Recipient In Seat Z-1" - does he have a card ready-printed for every seat in the house? Just in case? I say "yes".
Title: Sep. 14, 2005 - The Usher With The Robin's Egg Gloves
Post by: Polka on September 15, 2005, 04:18:13 pm
Especially in this strip, I think cartilage head might be influenced by an avatar a lady once had.

(http://www.automatedredemption.com/julie/dumbrella/cab-anim.gif)

Ain't it cute? I don't know what the avatar is about so maybe they are both based on the same thing.
Title: Sep. 14, 2005 - The Usher With The Robin's Egg Gloves
Post by: Polka on September 15, 2005, 04:43:43 pm
Thanks for the info! Hooray for the fact that it's still on her webspace. I was not sure how well Julie was known around these parts. Also since the name is  Cab.gif you may very well be right.
Title: Sep. 14, 2005 - The Usher With The Robin's Egg Gloves
Post by: MSC on September 15, 2005, 05:19:08 pm
Cab Calloway was "animated" into a ghost for a Betty Boop cartoon.  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0023227/.  I believe that's where that avatar came from.

On a totally unrelated note regarding whether Cartilage Head has pre-printed cards.  Perhaps he always invites seat Z-1 to dinner.  The person who sat there figured they'd be safer sitting in the back...but think again!  They're punished for their fear by having a private audience with the man (?) himself.
Title: Sep. 14, 2005 - The Usher With The Robin's Egg Gloves
Post by: V-Adore on September 15, 2005, 05:24:05 pm
Quote from: "MSC"
On a totally unrelated note regarding whether Cartilage Head has pre-printed cards.  Perhaps he always invites seat Z-1 to dinner.  The person who sat there figured they'd be safer sitting in the back...but think again!  They're punished for their fear by having a private audience with the man (?) himself.

You know, I could buy that. It's the "sadistic professor" impulse writ large. That, and it'd explain why Beef seemed nigh-on desperate to unload the ticket once he found out. (Because, you know, otherwise he would feel obliged to use it, and then...)

The irony of the situation is that I'm sure Beef would enjoy dinner with Cartilage Head way more than Ray will. I could see them getting along.
Title: Sep. 14, 2005 - The Usher With The Robin's Egg Gloves
Post by: Roger on September 15, 2005, 05:52:09 pm
Cartilage Head has now become THE face of despair for me.
Title: Sep. 14, 2005 - The Usher With The Robin's Egg Gloves
Post by: sam_spade on September 15, 2005, 06:50:19 pm
It's rotoscoped (I think) Cab Calloway performing "St. James Infirmary Blues" in a Betty Boop cartoon. Look it up, it's fantastic.
Title: Sep. 14, 2005 - The Usher With The Robin's Egg Gloves
Post by: jough on September 15, 2005, 06:50:42 pm
I remember Julie - she was straight up INDIGNANT about the mere existence of this board.  Plus, I think she has the hot wee-wee for Onstad.
Title: Sep. 14, 2005 - The Usher With The Robin's Egg Gloves
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 15, 2005, 06:57:11 pm
Quote from: "jough"
I remember Julie - she was straight up INDIGNANT about the mere existence of this board.  Plus, I think she has the hot wee-wee for Onstad.


Wasn't she the chick who posted a picture of herself with her hair cut like Molly?
Title: Sep. 14, 2005 - The Usher With The Robin's Egg Gloves
Post by: Skillator on September 15, 2005, 07:17:23 pm
Dear Cartilage Head,
I hate you. Fuck you. Go away.

Sincerely,
    Skillz
Title: Sep. 14, 2005 - The Usher With The Robin's Egg Gloves
Post by: CortJstr on September 15, 2005, 08:06:29 pm
Hey, Julie sent me a postcard made of paint samples stitched together with magazine snippets glued on. So you'll hear no bad-mouthing from me.
Title: Sep. 14, 2005 - The Usher With The Robin's Egg Gloves
Post by: arkabee on September 15, 2005, 09:01:08 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Hey, Julie sent me a postcard made of paint samples stitched together with magazine snippets glued on. So you'll hear no bad-mouthing from me.


indeed, it might be best to stay on that one's good side.
Title: Sep. 14, 2005 - The Usher With The Robin's Egg Gloves
Post by: jough on September 15, 2005, 09:15:06 pm
Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"

Wasn't she the chick who posted a picture of herself with her hair cut like Molly?


Oh, dude.  DUDE.  Link?
Title: Ahem
Post by: misterqueue on September 16, 2005, 04:14:12 pm
Here you go. (http://www.archive.org/details/bb_snow_white)

Oh and by the way, hello world!

and you're welcome.
Title: Sep. 14, 2005 - The Usher With The Robin's Egg Gloves
Post by: V-Adore on September 16, 2005, 05:27:28 pm
Welcome. Stay a while, we're rad.
Title: Sep. 14, 2005 - The Usher With The Robin's Egg Gloves
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 16, 2005, 07:08:46 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"

Wasn't she the chick who posted a picture of herself with her hair cut like Molly?


Oh, dude.  DUDE.  Link?


Can't help you, unless Ye Dumbrella Borde of Olde is archived somewhere.