The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: natasha on September 14, 2005, 11:02:09 pm

Title: Photo Contest
Post by: natasha on September 14, 2005, 11:02:09 pm
Who else thinks that we need another photo contest?!

*rant* I would say HECK YES... but I "won a prize" last year for the naked cowboy picture... except I never received my prize! I have emailed Onstad a bunch of times about this and he has replied a couple of times saying he would send it.  Its been about a year now so I am just resigned to the fact that I will never get my comic books.  :(

My answer is still HECK YES, actually.  I love t-shirt action shots and must admit I am quite the webcomic tshirt addict.

Oh, that gives me an idea... people, post humourous pics of yourself in your achewood gear.
Title: Photo Contest
Post by: pmcd9 on September 14, 2005, 11:31:08 pm
Have I met my match?

(http://www.achewood.com/rsrc/img/small_firstprize.jpg)
Title: Photo Contest
Post by: AlohaDawg on September 14, 2005, 11:31:30 pm
Who is we? I don't remember TOUAMB having a photo contest (although the no-#####-day controversy will live on forever).

I would give up on prizes at this point from Onstad, too. Clearly he has moved on.

So, also, welcome to the TOUAMB. Remember it's The Official Unofficial Achewood Message Board, so any issues you have with merchandise/prizes etc. should be taken somewhere, well, "Official".

So what's up with that naked cowboy, anyway?
Title: Photo Contest
Post by: robot_roll_call on September 14, 2005, 11:51:36 pm
I see your naked cowboy, and raise you Bruce Campbell!

(http://www.uwm.edu/~sdwarren/goodbruce2.jpg)

I am wearing my Ray shirt there. And my narcolepsy kicked in right in the middle of the air guitar solo I was performing for him.

Not really, it's just a shitty picture. Bruce looks entertained though.
Title: Photo Contest
Post by: AlohaDawg on September 15, 2005, 12:10:53 am
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Have I met my match?


Naw, neither one of them looks anything like you.
Title: Photo Contest
Post by: V-Adore on September 15, 2005, 12:34:47 am
Great picture, r_r_c. Sadly, the only assisting picture of me in Achewood gear (as far as I know) is the "me in front of my dorm with a friend, looking befuddled" picture I passed around last pic-swap, and it's not funny, except in that we're funny-looking.
Title: Photo Contest
Post by: Max on September 15, 2005, 01:21:30 am
I have a picture of me really stoned with some friends in my science shirt, and another of me putting on tefillin in my science shirt, but neither one is that spectacular.
Title: Photo Contest
Post by: andalucia on September 15, 2005, 01:29:38 am
I can't find any pictures of myself in my Special Boy shirt, however...

Back in high school, my friend Jesse took a photo of me, Avedon-style, against a white background, looking sullen and unflatteringly lit, and I was wearing said shirt, with a long-sleeved polyester shirt under it.  He got a good mark on his assignment, and then I found out this year that he'd done a gigantic painting of a party scene with all his friends, and there I am in it, wearing my ironic blouse and Achewood shirt.  I wish I had a photo to corroberate this, but it was still kinda neat.
Title: Photo Contest
Post by: pmcd9 on September 15, 2005, 02:10:46 am
You are going to have to do more than just talk about a picture in order to win this contest.

~Paul
Title: Photo Contest
Post by: antioch on September 15, 2005, 02:46:26 am
I agree. Don't dress us up and not take us anywhere, Max. I put on a good shirt and slacks after I read your post!
Title: Photo Contest
Post by: natasha on September 15, 2005, 05:39:25 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Who is we? I don't remember TOUAMB having a photo contest (although the no-******-day controversy will live on forever).

I would give up on prizes at this point from Onstad, too. Clearly he has moved on.

So, also, welcome to the TOUAMB. Remember it's The Official Unofficial Achewood Message Board, so any issues you have with merchandise/prizes etc. should be taken somewhere, well, "Official".

So what's up with that naked cowboy, anyway?


Well yes I know its UNofficial.. I was just WHINING. :)

I have no idea what is up with the naked cowboy.  He is clearly not naked.  And clearly not an actual cowboy?  I am not sure what constitutes a cowboy nowadays.  

But I did plan to wear my phillipe shirt to NYC figuring a photo op would present itself.  Now I get to have internet non-fame, in a picture that I look goofy in (to say the least) with nothing to show for it.

WHAT THE HELL PEOPLE
Title: Photo Contest
Post by: Max on September 15, 2005, 05:30:01 pm
Funny that the only two photos I have of me in achewood clothing are this bad...

'I am really high and covering my face and the whole thing is sort of last supper-ish' (http://flickr.com/photos/rock_action/43562669/)

'I am really tired because I am a camp counselor and it is 5:00 in the goddamn morning and it is also color war - triple whammy' (http://flickr.com/photos/rock_action/43562670/)
Title: Photo Contest
Post by: AlohaDawg on September 15, 2005, 05:34:39 pm
Quote from: "Max"
Funny that the only two photos I have of me in achewood clothing are this bad...

'I am really high and covering my face and the whole thing is sort of last supper-ish' (http://flickr.com/photos/rock_action/43562669/)

'I am really tired because I am a camp counselor and it is 5:00 in the goddamn morning and it is also color war - triple whammy' (http://flickr.com/photos/rock_action/43562670/)


1) Last Supperish, maybe...if the middle guy were covering his ears and the last guy his mouth, better yet.

2) What's a color war? It sounds bad in the social order sense.
Title: Photo Contest
Post by: Max on September 15, 2005, 05:37:59 pm
My understanding is that they have it at most summer camps, mine included.  Basically the whole camp is divided into a certain number of teams (in our case 4) and spends the entire day competing in different sports/relay events, and there's lots of ridiculous cheering and singing and you have to dress in your color etc. (I was on the green team, you can actually see the word 'yarok' in the background which is hebrew for 'green').  It sucks bad enough for a camper, but for a counselor it's a huge hassle because your kids basically have free reign of the whole camp all day to get into just massive amounts of shit.  14 year old boys need a tighter leash than color war can provide, in general.
Title: Photo Contest
Post by: AlohaDawg on September 15, 2005, 05:41:54 pm
Thanks. I read the sign and was too lazy to look up 'Yarok'.

After further review of your flickr site I have only one really strange question.

Assuming (evidence based) that you worked at if not a predominantly Jewish summer camp, then an excluisively Jewish summer camp, I have to wonder what the story is behind the kid named "Ho Chi" who looks pretty much as non-vietnamese as the rest of your campers.
Title: Photo Contest
Post by: Max on September 15, 2005, 07:52:08 pm
One trick to managing 14 year olds is that there is nothing they love more than vaguely insulting nicknames from their counselors.  Somehow this builds bunk unity like a charm.  Ho Chi (whose actual name is Adam) told us some weird story about his vietnamese barber, I think, so we went with the famed vietcong leader.
Title: Photo Contest
Post by: AlohaDawg on September 15, 2005, 08:32:23 pm
Weird.
He was the only one without a normal-seeming name.
Title: Photo Contest
Post by: CortJstr on September 15, 2005, 08:52:41 pm
Quote from: "Max"
One trick to managing 14 year olds is that there is nothing they love more than vaguely insulting nicknames from their counselors.  Somehow this builds bunk unity like a charm.  Ho Chi (whose actual name is Adam) told us some weird story about his vietnamese barber, I think, so we went with the famed vietcong leader.

At my camp the names never came from the counselors. One did try to give us baseball-ish names to fit with the theme of our suite (every counsellor's suite had to have a theme) but nobody ever used them. While there's a guy that we still refer to as Boston almost 10 years later. I couldn't supply his real first name if you paid me.

Dammit, now I'm all nostalgic about summer camp. I remember in 8th grade when we had a field day and regular team names were forbidden. So my suite called itself "Andre's House of Body Oil." We were soundly defeated in the silly games they make kids play at summer camp by "The Radioactive Meatballs." Shit, we had cheers and banners and everything. They even made us come up with a theme song. Good times.

I also suddenly want to play four square, spades, and egyptian rat screw. Ah summer camp, how I miss you.
Title: Photo Contest
Post by: miles on September 15, 2005, 10:14:27 pm
Quote from: "*****_roll_call"
I see your naked cowboy, and raise you Bruce Campbell!

[...]

I am wearing my Ray shirt there. And my narcolepsy kicked in right in the middle of the air guitar solo I was performing for him.

Not really, it's just a shitty picture. Bruce looks entertained though.


Bruce Campbell visited Salt Lake recently, but I was out of town.  Did you see his movie?

Oh, and it actually looks like you are making the wanking gesture at something he is saying...?
Title: Photo Contest
Post by: AlohaDawg on September 15, 2005, 10:51:23 pm
I thought maybe he was playing air guitar...
Title: Photo Contest
Post by: jough on September 16, 2005, 12:11:52 am
I saw Bruce Campbell in the Bourse Building in Philly when he was signing copies of his book, and while I didn't feel like standing in the line to get a book signed I did, like a dork, shout over to him "Hail to the king, baby." and he shot me with a gun made from his hand.
Title: Photo Contest
Post by: wombat on September 16, 2005, 01:11:30 am
Cort, what the hell is Egyptian Rat Screw, dammit.  There's no way I'm going to risk Googling that.
Title: Photo Contest
Post by: CortJstr on September 16, 2005, 01:19:41 am
Quote from: "wombat"
Cort, what the hell is Egyptian Rat Screw, dammit.  There's no way I'm going to risk Googling that.


Quote from: "[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egyptian_Rat_Screw
Wikipedia[/url]"]Egyptian Ratscrew [...] is a card game of the accumulation family, reminiscent of Slapjack and Beggar-My-Neighbour, but more complex. The game is played with a standard 52-card deck (or with multiple standard decks shuffled together with large numbers of players)