The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: satchel on August 26, 2003, 02:55:53 pm

Title: Dinosaur comics at qwantz.com
Post by: satchel on August 26, 2003, 02:55:53 pm
These ‘Dinosaur comics’ are pretty funny. I’d start with the first one (http://www.qwantz.com/20030201.html). As with many comics, the early strips are best, including some strange but funny postmodern observations on humor and storytelling. They drop off after that, but I was impressed with many of them.
Title: Dinosaur comics at qwantz.com
Post by: Ryan on August 26, 2003, 09:17:41 pm
If by "drop off" you mean "become extremely awesome", then I agree!
Title: Re: Dinosaur comics at qwantz.com
Post by: slink on August 26, 2003, 09:33:32 pm
Quote from: "satchel"
These ‘Dinosaur comics’ are pretty funny.


They don't even exist according to my browser - just show a broken image link icon...

Cue extinction jokes...
Title: Dinosaur comics at qwantz.com
Post by: andalucia on August 26, 2003, 10:16:17 pm
Yep, extinct in my browser (mozilla firebird) too.  Most distressing.
Title: Dinosaur comics at qwantz.com
Post by: jough on August 27, 2003, 02:29:48 am
Works for me, but they SUCK SIX KINDS OF ASSHOLE.
Title: Dinosaur comics at qwantz.com
Post by: AlohaDawg on August 27, 2003, 03:32:43 am
I wouldn't put it as bluntly as Jough, but these seem to be dinosaurs exchanging dialog translated word-for-word from English to Japanese to Basque and then back to English. It makes sense, but it makes NO F'inG SENSE if you get my meaning.

That said, the idea of a giant green dinosaur interrupted in his stomping of a log cabin (in a white field with nothing growing, no horizon and white all around) by the realization that he has unknowingly or forgettingly had a homosexual tryst with his former roommate (a UtahRaptor)....well, I guess that is something we all have had to face from time to time.

yeah.

I don't like it either. But god bless the brave soul expressing him/herself. It goes to show you that there is a market for EVERYTHING.

Like this, found at the same site,  for instance: http://www.cafeshops.com/qwantz.4687190
Title: Dinosaur comics at qwantz.com
Post by: V-Adore on August 27, 2003, 06:26:55 am
IMHO, it's the kind of thing that can be best enjoyed if you only do a handful of strips at a shot. The gag is sort of funny, sort of, but it wears thin after the 20th strip or so of the day.
Title: creator
Post by: satchel on August 27, 2003, 02:57:51 pm
Welcome to Ryan, the strip’s creator.

I disagree with most of the opinions expressed here. The static artwork is a statement itself, part of the aesthetic. The runnings observations on storytelling are ironically broken up by the seemingly banal personal experiences of the characters. But these experiences (for example, an alleged homosexual affair) and the characters’ reactions to them are subtle indictments of dramatic cliches.

The physical structure of the strips are identical because the strips are transcending traditional presentation/interpretation. Their texts and the postmodern self-examinations of the strip are the gist.

It’s not only a comic, but a statement on comics, modern art, and modern life.
Title: Dinosaur comics at qwantz.com
Post by: Ryan on August 27, 2003, 03:19:16 pm
Thank you satchel for your excellent observations and kind words!  

I find that people will either be able to accept that the pictures don't change, or they won't.  If they do, there's suddenly this running joke that they're let in on, where they know the pictures don't change, but the characters don't - and they can play with that.   A good time is had by all!

But if they don't, then they tend to think things like "sucks six kinds of ass" (which is a pretty awesome way to describe something sucking, I must admit).

Actually I am a little surprised that more people here don't like it - I would have thought the people who like Achewood would have a better chance of liking my comics?
Title: Dinosaur comics at qwantz.com
Post by: Ryan on August 27, 2003, 03:32:44 pm
Actually, wait - he said "six kinds of assHOLE".

That's just crass!
Title: Dinosaur comics at qwantz.com
Post by: slink on August 27, 2003, 03:55:02 pm
I quite liked the few I've looked at so far. I thought the dialogue was amusing, well written and such. It had good meter to it, might be because I like Japanese fiction!?
What I have a slight problem with is the lack (to me) of emotion and characterisation allowed by the art style, but it may just be me.
Title: Dinosaur comics at qwantz.com
Post by: jay-ell on August 27, 2003, 04:19:46 pm
I like these comics.  They are extremely awesome.  

Ryan, you have my blessing.

Edit: SHIT!  I just realized that I've read thirty strips without checking the alt text!
Title: Dinosaur comics at qwantz.com
Post by: Ryan on August 27, 2003, 05:08:59 pm
Wait till she realizes what happens when you click the "comments" link!
Title: Dinosaur comics at qwantz.com
Post by: jough on August 27, 2003, 06:15:41 pm
Ryan, I retract my earlier statement.

I found myself going back and reading more than the first five of them.  And they get progressively better as you get past the obvious jokes and find your groove.

I haven't read all of the archives, but that you've made a new strip consistently every day and that many of them are better than Onstad's "Variety Hour" makes me have to give you at least a half-hearted "thumbs sideways".

As a fan (perhaps "fan" isn't the right word) of postmodernism and social engineering, I must applaud your efforts - especially your stamina.

And I'm sure the ladies do, too. ;)

So I amend my statement to say that these strips only suck 3 1/2 kinds of ass.

-- Jough
Title: Dinosaur comics at qwantz.com
Post by: V-Adore on August 27, 2003, 07:02:32 pm
To amend my earlier statement: although I find the repetition tiresome in long-haul reading, this is really only a problem going through the archives and presumably is fine if you're reading one strip a day, as God intended.

Also, I really can't say anything bad about a strip that contains dinosaurs talking about Discrete Math. That's just plain LEGIT.
Title: Dinosaur comics at qwantz.com
Post by: slink on August 27, 2003, 07:17:47 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"

Also, I really can't say anything bad about a strip that contains dinosaurs talking about Discrete Math. That's just plain LEGIT.


Yea, as I said, I love the writing, which genuinely makes me laugh (or smirk which is laughing to me when I'm alone in a room), and I will continue to check em out.
Title: Dinosaur comics at qwantz.com
Post by: AlohaDawg on August 27, 2003, 08:11:33 pm
Hey, Ryan, it's not that I think you suck, I just don't get it and/or it doesn't appeal to me. My opinion is based on my reaction. It's as meaningless (and meaningful) as every opinion here.

But being a sort of failed (or unstarted or not restarted) writer myself I'm really glad you are out there doing you're thing. Because I'm not, which sucks six kinds of ass in and of itself.

Do your thing, wildman.
Title: Dinosaur comics at qwantz.com
Post by: Ryan on August 27, 2003, 08:45:02 pm
Holy cow guys!  You can think what you want of my comic; I know it's not for everyone!  

THAT BEING SAID, all these compliments are nice!  More please.

legit wildman,
Ryan
Title: Dinosaur comics at qwantz.com
Post by: jay-ell on August 27, 2003, 09:27:30 pm
I GUESS THERE IS A LESSON HERE FOR US ALL
Title: Dinosaur comics at qwantz.com
Post by: slink on August 27, 2003, 11:20:29 pm
Quote from: "Absentee Landlady"
I GUESS THERE IS A LESSON HERE FOR US ALL


Lessons!? Here!?
Dear me what has become of us!
Title: Dinosaur comics at qwantz.com
Post by: andalucia on August 28, 2003, 12:12:05 am
I actually think these are turbo-rad, if you will pardon the modern slang that I just made up.  I'm really looking forward to reading through the archives.

I'd go so far as to buy a shirt if it wouldnt end up costing like 50 of my meagre canadian dollars.
Title: Dinosaur comics at qwantz.com
Post by: jay-ell on September 10, 2003, 01:58:51 pm
I couldn't help myself.  

(http://mywebpage.netscape.com/jldunston/dinosaur.jpg)
Title: Dinosaur comics at qwantz.com
Post by: jough on September 10, 2003, 04:02:59 pm
JL, you need to make your own web comics.
Title: Dinosaur comics at qwantz.com
Post by: jay-ell on September 10, 2003, 04:39:03 pm
Quote from: "jough"
JL, you need to make your own web comics.


Why, because I'm good at it, or to keep me from messing with other people's strips?
Title: Dinosaur comics at qwantz.com
Post by: jough on September 13, 2003, 12:16:18 am
Quote from: "jldunston"
Quote from: "jough"
JL, you need to make your own web comics.


Why, because I'm good at it, or to keep me from messing with other people's strips?


Just to keep you busy.  You seem to have too much time on your hands.

P.S. You misspelled "achewood" at the bottom of it.
Title: Dinosaur comics at qwantz.com
Post by: jay-ell on September 13, 2003, 01:44:08 am
AUGH!  I'm a moron!  

I'll fix it as soon as Spouse gives me my computer back.
Title: Dinosaur comics at qwantz.com
Post by: Thak on November 24, 2003, 09:37:08 am
Oh man, I love these Dinosaur comics.

Great work, Ryan.
Title: Dinosaur comics at qwantz.com
Post by: Ryan on December 12, 2003, 09:37:57 pm
Hooray for me!

Also I put Jamie's guest comic up (a long time ago).

Can you believe I forgot my password here?
Title: Dinosaur comics at qwantz.com
Post by: conure on January 05, 2004, 02:15:59 am
Quantz is wonderful- for a variety of reasons. The writing is inventive and stays fresh, and the repetetiveness of the pictures just becomes funnier with time. Also, I find it odd how I start to put expression and character into the T-Rex's face, when it has so little.
Title: Dinosaur comics at qwantz.com
Post by: jay-ell on January 05, 2004, 03:05:49 pm
Lesbians!
Title: Dinosaur comics at qwantz.com
Post by: ferocious j on January 07, 2004, 07:20:13 pm
This comic has made it onto my bookmark list, which at present only contains about seven or eight.  It's the first one to do so since Patches (http://www.hingos.com/patches/).