The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Suckin_Dick on September 16, 2005, 07:26:00 am

Title: wine? (16sept05)
Post by: Suckin_Dick on September 16, 2005, 07:26:00 am
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=09162005

man can i say i am enjoying this storyline far more than most of the recent ones.  good to see achewood getting back to this offbeat, creepy humor that is the heart of the series.  i almost think i want to see some other characters other than ray interact with ch but on the other hand i'd like to see where this goes first.
Title: wine? (16sept05)
Post by: Noah on September 16, 2005, 07:38:10 am
oh man i hope after this ch teaches ray some more ocular shenanigans
Title: wine? (16sept05)
Post by: cellardoor on September 16, 2005, 08:03:12 am
The wine distribution panels are absolutely lovely to behold.
Great, great artwork.
Other thoughts, what is leaking from Cartilage Head's eyes?
Is that even wine in the glass?
Has Onstad recently watched The nightmare before christmas?
Title: wine? (16sept05)
Post by: ndpatel on September 16, 2005, 08:23:18 am
can someone just quickly explain to me what the fuck is going on?
Title: wine? (16sept05)
Post by: lrobertjones on September 16, 2005, 09:45:50 am
Quote from: "ndpatel"
can someone just quickly explain to me what the fuck is going on?

i do not believe that anyone can.
Title: wine? (16sept05)
Post by: Ben-San on September 16, 2005, 10:14:48 am
Quote from: "ndpatel"
can someone just quickly explain to me what the fuck is going on?


The cat has felt himself obliged to accept an ever-escalating series of tickets and offers pertinent to the deformed stage actor's reinterpretation of the vaudevillian freak-performer schema and lifestyle as persistent and audience-participatory surrealist art.
Title: wine? (16sept05)
Post by: MattFish on September 16, 2005, 11:59:54 am
Quote from: "Ben-San"
Quote from: "ndpatel"
can someone just quickly explain to me what the fuck is going on?


The cat has felt himself obliged to accept an ever-escalating series of tickets and offers pertinent to the deformed stage actor's reinterpretation of the vaudevillian freak-performer schema and lifestyle as persistent and audience-participatory surrealist art.


Not to mention that despite the fact that the deformed actor's manner is as polite and amiable as is possible despite his lack of eyelids and speech, and though a devoted fan would be immensely pleased for such an opportunity as to partake of a meal in his company, the cat's unpleasant reaction to the show continues to keep him on edge and make this a particularly harrowing experience.
Title: wine? (16sept05)
Post by: CortJstr on September 16, 2005, 12:47:39 pm
Quote from: "Ben-San"
Quote from: "ndpatel"
can someone just quickly explain to me what the fuck is going on?

The cat has felt himself obliged to accept an ever-escalating series of tickets and offers pertinent to the deformed stage actor's reinterpretation of the vaudevillian freak-performer schema and lifestyle as persistent and audience-participatory surrealist art.

Was that an audition to write the alt text?
Title: wine? (16sept05)
Post by: mudokon on September 16, 2005, 01:03:38 pm
So, today we find out that Cartilage Head is just some sort of wacky magician.
Title: wine? (16sept05)
Post by: MSC on September 16, 2005, 01:10:52 pm
Quote from: "cellardoor"
Great, great artwork.
...Is that even wine in the glass?


I think Ray is wondering the same thing.

I agree that this series has shown nice forays into some new artwork in achewood...Cartilage Head, his surroundings, and accouterments are all new territory, as are many new reactions and poses by Ray.
Title: wine? (16sept05)
Post by: sjlimmer on September 16, 2005, 02:18:31 pm
Truly, this arc has been beautiful.  Lovely, lovely artwork, and the alt-text is the best one-character summation of this craziness I could imagine.  The eagerness with which Ray hands over his wine glass ("Fuck yes, I'll have some wine...this is too creepy to deal with sober!") makes his trepidation in the last panel absolute comic gold.
Title: wine? (16sept05)
Post by: V-Adore on September 16, 2005, 03:26:17 pm
Yes, I love the contrast between Ray's speed in handing over the wine glass ("holy shit, get some liquor in me, CH!") and his trepidation about the wine afterwards. I also love the wine dispensing device, which appears to work on magic. Absolutely beautiful.

Have I mentioned I love this arc?
Title: wine? (16sept05)
Post by: Golfhaus on September 16, 2005, 04:58:53 pm
My SO fails to be in the slightest way creeped out by CH. She, as of yet, doesn't get it.

Me, on the other hand... I want a CH wallpaper. If Trouble Man and No-No can have one, certainly Mr. Head, on stage, performing, can be rendered in big-screen.
Title: wine? (16sept05)
Post by: jough on September 16, 2005, 05:13:25 pm
Yeah, I love the dialogue-less strips.  The wine dispensery is wonderful.  I hope that Ray can chill out, be his usual Ray self, and enjoy CH's company, get to know what makes the man tick, etc.

But how come in the previous strip the glass already has wine in it, and in this one it is on the other side of the table, and empty?  Did Ray already drink the first bit?
Title: wine? (16sept05)
Post by: Golfhaus on September 16, 2005, 05:16:25 pm
Quote from: "jough"
I hope that Ray can chill out, be his usual Ray self, and enjoy CH's company, get to know what makes the man tick, etc.


I actually kinda don't. I think I'll like Ray more knowing that there are some times, some situations, where he can't do The Ray Thing.
Title: wine? (16sept05)
Post by: V-Adore on September 16, 2005, 05:30:06 pm
I, too, am having a good time watching Ray not be suave and Ray-ish. I like seeing that there are still things entirely beyond his ken.

Yet another beloved detail about this strip: CH's notecard monogram. He does this right.
Title: wine? (16sept05)
Post by: Roger on September 16, 2005, 05:39:31 pm
Was there water in the glass in the beginning? And CH's Miracle Bottle turned it into wine? Where have I heard this story before?...

Oh, and sorry I didn't say Hi everyone in my first post. Hi everyone!
Title: wine? (16sept05)
Post by: ferocious j on September 16, 2005, 06:57:03 pm
Re: Ray's glass: That's not water.  It's just the articulation of the glass.  Light going through it makes lines.

Re: The previous strip: CH is already drinking wine out of his own glass.  The one in today's strip is Ray's glass.  Which is different.
Title: wine? (16sept05)
Post by: JordanB on September 16, 2005, 07:20:34 pm
My first response to this arc is a quite plausible,
if somewhat oversimplified guess as to
what this Cartilage Head fellow is about...





Lie Bot!
Title: wine? (16sept05)
Post by: robot_roll_call on September 16, 2005, 07:26:20 pm
Quote from: "JordanB"
My first response to this arc is a quite plausible,
if somewhat oversimplified guess as to
what this Cartilage Head fellow is about...





Lie Bot!


I like this arc a lot, so I will be very pissed if we get a Liebot copout.

I am feeling a little more at ease about Cartilage Head. He is either going to turn out to be a nice guy, or this is going to get really fucked up before the end. Either way, keep it coming, Onstad.
Title: wine? (16sept05)
Post by: jough on September 16, 2005, 07:43:26 pm
Quote from: "ferocious j"
Re: Ray's glass: That's not water.  It's just the articulation of the glass.  Light going through it makes lines.


That's true of today's strip, but yesterday's (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=09142005) obviously contains a small amount of something dark, which Ray could have drank between strips.
Title: wine? (16sept05)
Post by: miles on September 16, 2005, 10:03:58 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Quote from: "ferocious j"
Re: Ray's glass: That's not water.  It's just the articulation of the glass.  Light going through it makes lines.


That's true of today's strip, but yesterday's (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=09142005) obviously contains a small amount of something dark, which Ray could have drank between strips.


Looks like maybe CH was enjoying a glass (does he enjoy?) before Ray got there.
Title: wine? (16sept05)
Post by: Roger on September 16, 2005, 11:01:23 pm
Quote from: "ferocious j"
Re: Ray's glass: That's not water.  It's just the articulation of the glass.  Light going through it makes lines.


OK, so there's no Jesus thing going on here. Phew. I was already thinking CH was constantly weeping over our sins or something.
Title: wine? (16sept05)
Post by: Suckin_Dick on September 16, 2005, 11:04:34 pm
i think we're dodging the central issue at hand here, which is that, "how would one come up with the concept of a creature whose head is made completely of cartilage in the first place?"

seriously, onstad proves that he is either freaky creative or just on a lot of drugs, which is a very bad example for the baby.


Quote
baby update: The baby swung upside down from the ceiling attached by a thin strand of hope to the naked gorilla with the pan of butter.


possibly?
Title: wine? (16sept05)
Post by: Skillator on September 16, 2005, 11:49:21 pm
I wonder if CH's head makes popping noises like knuckles.

I hope so because I want to punch him in the head repeatedly and make popping sounds... Seriously... Cartilage head gets me so mad. His dancing was nice but now the creepy guy thing who doesn't get alt text is just boring.

I wish he would go away and hang out with Trouble man and no-no and never come back. You may not see why I don't like him... but then, I don't see why you do.
Title: wine? (16sept05)
Post by: AugustWest on September 17, 2005, 02:50:53 am
I don't think it's that we like CH per se.  None of us are aching to go have dinner with him (I'd prefer Nightlife Mingus, I think).  I think we like CH for what he makes the strip -- intriguing, surreal and not gag driven.
Title: wine? (16sept05)
Post by: V-Adore on September 17, 2005, 03:23:56 am
Quote from: "AugustWest"
I don't think it's that we like CH per se.  None of us are aching to go have dinner with him (I'd prefer Nightlife Mingus, I think).  I think we like CH for what he makes the strip -- intriguing, surreal and not gag driven.

Put better than I could have.

Yes, a lot of Achewood strips have been gags, and many of them have been very good gags. However, I would argue that the strip is at its best when it has a fascinating edge of melancholia and strangeness. That, and the art is gorgeous.
Title: wine? (16sept05)
Post by: JordanB on September 17, 2005, 03:57:01 am
Quote from: "Suckin_Dick"
i think we're dodging the central issue at hand here, which is that, "how would one come up with the concept of a creature whose head is made completely of cartilage in the first place?"


When babies are first born, the bones of their head
are not fused together and are thus extremely malleable.
Not like cartilage, exactly, but not nearly as solid as adult heads.
(I have a friend who has a vague but noticable crease
down the middle of his forehead, precisely because,
well, I forget how the story goes, but he got it because
of the fact that babies' heads aren't very solid.)

Maybe having a new baby had a part in the creation of CH.
But more likely I just pulled that explanation out my ass.
Title: wine? (16sept05)
Post by: AugustWest on September 17, 2005, 05:36:17 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
I don't think it's that we like CH per se.  None of us are aching to go have dinner with him (I'd prefer Nightlife Mingus, I think).  I think we like CH for what he makes the strip -- intriguing, surreal and not gag driven.

Put better than I could have.


Gosh. Thanks.

Quote
Yes, a lot of Achewood strips have been gags, and many of them have been very good gags. However, I would argue that the strip is at its best when it has a fascinating edge of melancholia and strangeness. That, and the art is gorgeous.


Don't get me wrong.  I love gags.  Gags are great and Onstad does gags well.  But CH gives me goosebumps and reminds me of Dr. Lao.  CH makes me laugh and cry at the same time.  CH makes me highly respectful and deeply jealous.

I'm glad Onstad doesn't make this stuff all the time.  I'm afraid we'd get jaded and not appreciate it for what it is.  Bravo.
Title: wine? (16sept05)
Post by: filas on September 17, 2005, 08:26:21 am
i like the progression too, doods; in each strip ray gets more CH than he was comfortable with.  that's sort of CH's thing, and ray is getting a lot of it.  
from sitting in the audience, to going to dinner, to sitting at the table, to drinking weirdo wine.  
each time there is more CH to deal with a little closer.   back up, softie!  
ray could have said "no" to going and "no" to dinner, and he wouldn't have to really disappoint CH, but for the wine CH looks at ray like it'll hurt CH's feelings if ray turns it down.  

also i like that the CH cards carried over.  it makes sense to get a message on a card in the audience, b/c the performer can't talk at that moment, but CH uses a card to offer wine face to cartilage.
Title: wine? (16sept05)
Post by: jough on September 17, 2005, 04:34:26 pm
I'm just throwing some snaps out there for "face to cartilage," because I know you thought that was funny and clever when you wrote it and clever should always be noticed and appreciated.
Title: wine? (16sept05)
Post by: filas on September 18, 2005, 05:31:28 am
thanks, and props to your perspicacious analysis.
Title: wine? (16sept05)
Post by: char * on September 18, 2005, 05:42:33 am
Quote from: "filas"

also i like that the CH cards carried over.  it makes sense to get a message on a card in the audience, b/c the performer can't talk at that moment, but CH uses a card to offer wine face to cartilage.


I'm guessing CH can't actually talk (perhaps due to the cartilageness), and has to rely on the cards.
Title: wine? (16sept05)
Post by: Paisley on September 18, 2005, 10:07:11 pm
Quote from: "Suckin_Dick"
i think we're dodging the central issue at hand here, which is that, "how would one come up with the concept of a creature whose head is made completely of cartilage in the first place?"


Besides the brilliant theory postulated by JordanB regarding cartiliginous baby heads, I'm thinking the character owes something to the animations of Max Fleischer (didn't someone on the old forum have an animated .GIF of a similar character that seemed to tickle Onstad's fancy?). If Cartilage Head isn't directly based on the Koko's ghost character in the St James Infirmary sequence in Fleisher's Snow White, CH certainly must have been inspired by it:

http://www.archive.org/details/bb_snow_white

I'm thinking maybe Edvard Munch's The Scream might also be source material.
Title: wine? (16sept05)
Post by: Beatrice on September 19, 2005, 10:14:02 pm
Quote from: "JordanB"


When babies are first born, the bones of their head
are not fused together and are thus extremely malleable.
Not like cartilage, exactly, but not nearly as solid as adult heads.
(I have a friend who has a vague but noticable crease
down the middle of his forehead, precisely because,
well, I forget how the story goes, but he got it because
of the fact that babies' heads aren't very solid.)



This is poetic in a highschool-creative-writing-class-annual-publication sort of way.
Title: wine? (16sept05)
Post by: arkabee on September 20, 2005, 01:24:28 pm
Quote from: "Beatrice"
Quote from: "JordanB"


When babies are first born, the bones of their head
are not fused together and are thus extremely malleable.
Not like cartilage, exactly, but not nearly as solid as adult heads.
(I have a friend who has a vague but noticable crease
down the middle of his forehead, precisely because,
well, I forget how the story goes, but he got it because
of the fact that babies' heads aren't very solid.)



This is poetic in a highschool-creative-writing-class-annual-publication sort of way.


try advil.
Title: wine? (16sept05)
Post by: hytmal on September 21, 2005, 05:45:49 pm
waaah i just want to keep my account...!

but also i think that the tale of CH is not over yet.  like that bankrobber from "O, Brother, Where Art Thou"

Additionally, why the fuck would roast beef have gotten some tickets for a show like this ???

i mean, it seems like maybe Pat would have been the culrpit... it's something weird enough that i can see him hating people for being weirded out by the whole thing  ;-)

 -- hytmal **name is not related to Achewood canon**
Title: wine? (16sept05)
Post by: Thousand Sons on September 21, 2005, 07:22:53 pm
Chris never ceases to amaze me with his creativity.  I love the fact that Achewood has never been pigeonholed into just a comic about 'funny animals'!  :wink:
Title: wine? (16sept05)
Post by: ndpatel on September 22, 2005, 08:24:57 am
Quote from: "Thousand Sons"
Chris never ceases to amaze me with his creativity.  I love the fact that Achewood has never been pigeonholed into just a comic about 'funny animals'!  :wink:


You are either Onstad's wife, or his mother.

I vote mom, because I think moms are rad.
Title: wine? (16sept05)
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on September 22, 2005, 01:12:55 pm
Quote from: "Thousand Sons"
Chris never ceases to amaze me with his creativity.  I love the fact that Achewood has never been pigeonholed into just a comic about 'funny animals'!  :wink:


It's also about funny stuffed toys.
Title: wine? (16sept05)
Post by: Thousand Sons on September 22, 2005, 05:39:46 pm
Quote
It's also about funny stuffed toys.


And Roomba vacuum cleaners.
Title: wine? (16sept05)
Post by: Null on September 22, 2005, 05:44:45 pm
Quote from: "Thousand Sons"
Quote
It's also about funny stuffed toys.


And Roomba vacuum cleaners.


And rollerskates.
Title: wine? (16sept05)
Post by: Golfhaus on September 22, 2005, 06:30:11 pm
Quote from: "Null"
Quote from: "Thousand Sons"
Quote
It's also about funny stuffed toys.


And Roomba vacuum cleaners.


And rollerskates.


And education.
Title: wine? (16sept05)
Post by: Thousand Sons on September 22, 2005, 06:47:56 pm
And hugs.

(http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/thousandsons/huuugs.jpg)

"Hug the fuck out of 'em Phillipe!"