The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: bonaparte on September 20, 2005, 06:05:07 am

Title: SNAP click WHUMP 9-20
Post by: bonaparte on September 20, 2005, 06:05:07 am
the creepiest part is how planned out this seems to be.  the door opens mysteriously right on time and the guy's car is waiting just outside the first window ray can dive out of.  i mean he put some thought into this.
Title: SNAP click WHUMP 9-20
Post by: AugustWest on September 20, 2005, 06:13:13 am
which leads one to believe that it's all planned and Ray is just tonight's audience...

Is this really the end of this storyline?  Will Ray take the Model T?  Is CH really dead?  Did CH and RB set this whole thing up?  And where is Liebot?

Tune in tomorrow (or Thursday) for answers to these and other pressing Ache-questions.  Or not.
Title: SNAP click WHUMP 9-20
Post by: cellardoor on September 20, 2005, 08:09:51 am
As HP Lovecraft said, "concerning all things mysterious, never explain".
This is one of Achewood's sweetest mysteries.
Tomorrow: Phillipe gets pushed in the tumble dryer by Lyle. Hey-o!
Title: SNAP click WHUMP 9-20
Post by: filas on September 20, 2005, 08:16:46 am
i'm glad yous doods felt that way too.  

Quote
Ray is just tonight's audience


that's a really good way to put it.  maybe to get to that next level of creepiness CH sets up an audience of one.  
on the other hand, it could be an unfortunate accident and CH took it too far or performed the trick one too many times.  but def CH was still performing at the end.
Title: SNAP click WHUMP 9-20
Post by: misterqueue on September 20, 2005, 11:28:14 am
Absolutely lovely ending.  Was Ray a captive audience for a suicide or are we just seeing more macabre theatre of the mind?  And either way, would it matter?

This series made me all tingly.. you know.. down there.
Title: SNAP click WHUMP 9-20
Post by: MattFish on September 20, 2005, 12:37:02 pm
I'm gonna believe this is all just one worst thing after another and feel at least somewhat sorry for CH here.

I think when I saw the SNAP I emitted a Philippe-like "Nooo!"
Title: SNAP click WHUMP 9-20
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on September 20, 2005, 12:38:22 pm
I think you sychophants overlook the fact that this entire arc was probably motivated by Onstad looking up 'scream' in Google's Image Search. Within the first ten results are:

(http://mike.13th-floor.org/scream.jpg)

and

(http://mike.13th-floor.org/scream.gif)

This entire arc is merely an excuse to make as many poses that replicate these two images as possible.

Conclusion:

(http://mike.13th-floor.org/onstad-shark.gif)
Title: SNAP click WHUMP 9-20
Post by: arlucasinc on September 20, 2005, 01:05:50 pm
Third row, second panel. WOW!!!! The face! Those hands! Wow.
Title: SNAP click WHUMP 9-20
Post by: arkabee on September 20, 2005, 01:23:25 pm
this arc was lot's of slooooooow and steady buildup, like the good love making.

and then, poot.

it's done.

boo to that.

you take a day off to finish a story arc about a pair of talking shoe brothers, but you rush the end of your singular macabre masterpiece?
Title: SNAP click WHUMP 9-20
Post by: Doc on September 20, 2005, 01:25:34 pm
This was truly the Grand Finale, CH's final performance for an audience or one, he was the perfect host down to the very last detail.
The thing is this doesn't feel like a once off, but obviously CH couldn't do this properly and do it more than once, and CH does things properly.
Maybe it was all planned, Ray knew how this was going to go and that's why this whole thing seemed so infamous when Beef first mentioned.
Title: SNAP click WHUMP 9-20
Post by: Null on September 20, 2005, 01:38:30 pm
I don't think CH *can* die.  

This storyline is just below the Secret Ice Cream Shop for creepy disturbingness.

Also, I bet Philippe is thrilled to have a hurricane named after him.
Title: SNAP click WHUMP 9-20
Post by: JordanB on September 20, 2005, 03:11:12 pm
The door immediately clicking back open
when CH bites the dust reminded me
of that convention of so many fantasy plotlines:
"Hurray! The person who set the spell is dead,
so the spell's effects are sudenly negated!"
This happens in science fiction, too;
the mothership is blown up, so suddenly
all the r.o.b.o.t.s shut down, etc.

P. S. Ray running in the fourth row, first panel
is one of my new favorite images. He definitely
looks the way a man of gravity does when
trying to hoof it out of a dangerous situation.
Title: SNAP click WHUMP 9-20
Post by: V-Adore on September 20, 2005, 03:38:30 pm
I'm not sure which theory I like better: that this is a normal part of the performance and CH isn't dead, or that this is CH's elaborately planned suicide. I could see either, I think, but with all the preplanning I'm definitely not inclined to call it a coincidence.

Bobby, I think you may have just JUMPED TEH SHARK.
Title: SNAP click WHUMP 9-20
Post by: sensate on September 20, 2005, 04:16:37 pm
Awesome. I love CH's pupils at the 'snap' moment, but they're kind of in opposition to his mouth--the pupils say "lights out," but the mouth says "oh, f*ck, what did I do?" Can't have both, can we?

Then again, going back <a href="http://achewood.com/index.php?date=09132005">here[/url], he made the same expression during the, uh, manipulation.

Also, the door in row 3, panel 3. Why is there a knob/lump/??? on the edge? And what's the bump on the other side? Is it the body of someone opening the door, and the knob/lump is the hand?

And in the Ray-running-away panel the door doesn't look like the same one from the inside of the room. And it opens from the wrong side.

And did Ray turn a flip in the air going out of the window to land on his butt like that? Interesting variation on a cat, that Ray.
Title: SNAP click WHUMP 9-20
Post by: robot_roll_call on September 20, 2005, 05:06:36 pm
I am fully amazed at how this made me sad. Why am I sad for Cartilage Head? Why!?
Title: SNAP click WHUMP 9-20
Post by: Golfhaus on September 20, 2005, 05:15:53 pm
Oh man... I am SO glad I waited until I got home from work to read this, as opposed to reading it at 3:30 in the morning.

I'm leaning towards the "him dead" theory at the moment, although it's certainly plausible that it's a performance piece. It just seems like it wouldn't be the "GRAND FINALE" otherwise.

My summary: Budd Dwyer, as recreated by Tim Burton. And it gives me the jibblies.
Title: SNAP click WHUMP 9-20
Post by: James on September 20, 2005, 05:18:38 pm
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
I think you sychophants overlook the fact that this entire arc was probably motivated by Onstad looking up 'scream' in Google's Image Search. Within the first ten results are:

MOVIE SCREAM

and

PAINTING SCREAM

But... the movie Scream guy is already a reference to the painting Scream guy. They're not two seperate things (sorry this was just bugging me).
Title: SNAP click WHUMP 9-20
Post by: Bozack on September 20, 2005, 06:23:52 pm
Quote from: "*****_roll_call"
I am fully amazed at how this made me sad. Why am I sad for Cartilage Head? Why!?


God, same here.

P.S.- Hi, all! I'm not actually dead! I'm just unemployed, not in school and living in a roach-infested apartment in a neighborhood where everyone hates me. So it's like being dead, only it's just my soul. Hopefully I'll convince Time Warner to let me pay them for internet (they're still not convinced that I'm "good people"), so I might be online as soon as next week, or possibly the heat-death of the sun.
Title: SNAP click WHUMP 9-20
Post by: Golfhaus on September 20, 2005, 06:57:25 pm
Something else that I've noticed that tends to convince me more that this was a planned moment instead of an accident... in the sixth panel, CH is making a facial expression closer to smiling than anything seen in the previous days.

The pupils disappearing from his eyes post-snap is an excellent touch, too.
Title: SNAP click WHUMP 9-20
Post by: safety_otter on September 20, 2005, 07:40:29 pm
Long time lurker,

I loved CH enough to make an avatar and make an account here ;)

(I don't have anything else to contribute, sorry.)
Title: SNAP click WHUMP 9-20
Post by: V-Adore on September 20, 2005, 08:33:34 pm
Welcome, safety_otter. That's the best avatar I've seen in a long time.

Also, my sympathies, Bozack, and my hope that things manage to work out.
Title: SNAP click WHUMP 9-20
Post by: Silverberg on September 20, 2005, 09:22:21 pm
CH's look of joy in panels five and six is quite possibly the most chilling and wonderful part of this arc yet. Goddamn. Awesome.
Title: SNAP click WHUMP 9-20
Post by: Polka on September 20, 2005, 09:27:04 pm
I empathize with CH so bad I want to be him.
(http://i08-7.facebook.com/pics/3/4/n1214359_9686.jpg)
Title: SNAP click WHUMP 9-20
Post by: Emory on September 20, 2005, 10:23:51 pm
Quote from: "arkabee"
this arc was lot's of slooooooow and steady buildup, like the good love making.

and then, poot.

it's done.

boo to that.

you take a day off to finish a story arc about a pair of talking shoe brothers, but you rush the end of your singular macabre masterpiece?



I doubt that this is the end of this particular story-line. 'Grand Finale' might refer more to CH's performance, not the story. Onstad leaves the end wide open. Perhaps Ray will take his car... He's been known to do things of that sort.
Title: SNAP click WHUMP 9-20
Post by: Skillator on September 20, 2005, 10:42:02 pm
This is the best thing that I could have ever hoped for...
Cartilage Head's creepy parlor trick backfires and now he is fuck*ng dead. That is so awesome.

This story was totally worth the pay-off. This painful storyline totally just brought teh funnay and that is great.
Title: SNAP click WHUMP 9-20
Post by: bonaparte on September 21, 2005, 12:27:52 am
poor CH.  i'm thinking this is his final performance and he selected ray because he knew only such a discriminating fella could appreciate it for what it truly is.  he's smiling in panels five and six because he knows the end is near, the sweet release of death from his carnival freakshow existence.  it reminds one of kafka's "the hunger artist"
Title: SNAP click WHUMP 9-20
Post by: MattFish on September 21, 2005, 01:05:34 am
Quote from: "Polka"
I empathize with CH so bad I want to be him.
(http://i08-7.facebook.com/pics/3/4/n1214359_9686.jpg)


You win!
Title: SNAP click WHUMP 9-20
Post by: robot_roll_call on September 21, 2005, 02:28:27 am
Quote from: "Polka"
I empathize with CH so bad I want to be him.
(http://i08-7.facebook.com/pics/3/4/n1214359_9686.jpg)


how did you do that.

why did you do that.
Title: SNAP click WHUMP 9-20
Post by: Todd on September 21, 2005, 02:57:04 am
I am really, REALLY sad that Cartilage Head died that way.

Seriously, seeing that totally ruined my entire day.  It's tragic.   :cry:

You think I'm kidding, but I'm not.

-Libbie
Title: SNAP click WHUMP 9-20
Post by: Boring K on September 21, 2005, 04:05:03 am
Call me cynical, but I don't think CH is dead.  Someone (something?) like that couldn't go so easily.
Title: SNAP click WHUMP 9-20
Post by: Null on September 21, 2005, 04:10:50 am
I don't think Cartilege Head CAN die.  He may want to die, he may long desperately for the sweet release of death, but he will never feel that embrace.

Weep not for Cartlege Head.  Weep for thyself.  Also, send me money.
Title: SNAP click WHUMP 9-20
Post by: DevinCybrus on September 21, 2005, 04:53:48 am
I thought it was an accident when I read the strip.

All those years of Cartilage-Heading finally took the toll on his skull, fatally wounding him when a piece of it snaps off and lodges itself in his brain.
Title: SNAP click WHUMP 9-20
Post by: MattFish on September 21, 2005, 05:18:47 am
Quote from: "DevinCybrus"
All those years of Cartilage-Heading finally took the toll on his skull, fatally wounding him when a piece of it snaps off and lodges itself in his brain.


what skull? He's fuck*ng Cartilage-Head. That's, like, his whole bit.