The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: V-Adore on September 21, 2005, 04:57:59 am

Title: 921 Elden -- 21 September 2005
Post by: V-Adore on September 21, 2005, 04:57:59 am
Oh my GOD. It's not over yet.

And this establishes quite firmly that it was a setup...

This may be the best arc ever. Discuss.
Title: 921 Elden -- 21 September 2005
Post by: Noah on September 21, 2005, 05:16:01 am
awesome !

it's so perfect that ray would hop in the car and follow the directions left in it. this arc is so much like a nightmare.
Title: 921 Elden -- 21 September 2005
Post by: MattFish on September 21, 2005, 05:17:19 am
So it WAS a setup. Damn you, Onstad, for toying with my emotions so!

chuggita chuggita chuggita
Title: 921 Elden -- 21 September 2005
Post by: jough on September 21, 2005, 05:26:05 am
Great artwork in this entire storyline.  

Ray thinks he has free will, but CH is showing him just how much that he is CH's plaything tonight.

Ah, the inevitibility of it all...
Title: 921 Elden -- 21 September 2005
Post by: JordanB on September 21, 2005, 05:43:37 am
I don't think CH is just toying with Ray, though.
If he has everything this well-planned,
there's got to be something more going on.
I'm terrified at what will be in this house,
and yet I can't wait to find out.

I'm starting to agree; this is probably
the best story arc yet.  Almost as gripping
as the Philippe Kidnapped arc, and far more
oneiric and unnerving.

Notice that the card with the directions
for Ray to drive to 921 Elden is the only thing
in CH's wallet (which has his monogram
stitched on it... classy!)
Title: 921 Elden -- 21 September 2005
Post by: cellardoor on September 21, 2005, 07:51:24 am
Prediction is useless as Onstad himself doesn't know (read the newest interview).
Love the artwork and the "colouring". Perfectly pitched night-time sequences. Mmmm.
Title: 921 Elden -- 21 September 2005
Post by: Ben-San on September 21, 2005, 09:33:55 am
Quote from: "JordanB"
Notice that the card with the directions
for Ray to drive to 921 Elden is the only thing
in CH's wallet (which has his monogram
stitched on it... classy!)


It's the only thing on that side but I'm pretty sure those are credit cards or membership cards or, I don't know, woe cards in the opposite facing whatever-you-call-it.
Title: 921 Elden -- 21 September 2005
Post by: southworth813 on September 21, 2005, 11:38:58 am
Anybody else notice that the car is suddenly transparent?
Title: 921 Elden -- 21 September 2005
Post by: bonaparte on September 21, 2005, 11:50:54 am
CH's slender fingers reach from beyond the grave to manipulate the strings of this poor puppet Ray (or not).  i do like the ghostly car though, very appropriate. i'm personally anticipating something unspecific and quite terrible to happen to Ray in the house a la Gorey.
Title: 921 Elden -- 21 September 2005
Post by: misterqueue on September 21, 2005, 11:59:18 am
The question here remains, is CH alive or just remains?  I love the look on Ray's face when he realizes he's not really free just yet in that little bubble panel.

C'est détail!
Title: 921 Elden -- 21 September 2005
Post by: V-Adore on September 21, 2005, 12:23:27 pm
I still don't have any idea whether or not CH is really dead. At this point it's preplanned even if he actually committed the murder act on himself. I think the only point it disproves is that whatever happened to CH was an accident, unless the car setup was intended for a gag not reached by Ray running for it.
Title: 921 Elden -- 21 September 2005
Post by: arlucasinc on September 21, 2005, 12:44:51 pm
Quote from: "southworth813"
Anybody else notice that the car is suddenly transparent?


The car is totally a ghost car! Awesome.
Title: 921 Elden -- 21 September 2005
Post by: CortJstr on September 21, 2005, 12:55:30 pm
Hey, for all we know every room in CH's place had a card in it telling Ray to take the car. Thus no matter which way Ray went it would create the illusion of prescience.
Title: 921 Elden -- 21 September 2005
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on September 21, 2005, 01:14:49 pm
I really like the font used to make the 'chuggita'. It reminds me of some sort of engraver's gothic sans serif font that I saw back in the day, but I don't remember what it is.

Lazyweb, help me here.
Title: 921 Elden -- 21 September 2005
Post by: MSC on September 21, 2005, 01:38:50 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I still don't have any idea whether or not CH is really dead. At this point it's preplanned even if he actually committed the murder act on himself. I think the only point it disproves is that whatever happened to CH was an accident, unless the car setup was intended for a gag not reached by Ray running for it.


I disagree.  This is like The Game.  The same way that Sean Penn knew Michael Douglas would jump off the building in exactly the right spot, CH knew Ray would jump out the window and take the car.  

Alternatively, this could be like The Day The Earth Stood Still (pour one out for Robert Wise, by the way).   Maybe the card is there just in case something went horribly wrong with CH's performance, as it did.  Ray is directed to the house, in which sits a large r.o.b.o.t.  Another card will instruct Ray to tell the r.o.b.o.t: "Cartilage Head barata nikto," after which the r.o.b.o.t will trudge over to the dressing room and reanimate CH.

Either of these are likely possibilities.
Title: 921 Elden -- 21 September 2005
Post by: cellardoor on September 21, 2005, 02:14:44 pm
Ray opens the door, all the Achewood guys jump out shouting "Surprise!" and "Happy Birthday!".
What do you get the man who has it all?
Cartilage Head.
Title: 921 Elden -- 21 September 2005
Post by: Max on September 21, 2005, 02:34:37 pm
That first panel needs to be a wallpaper so badly.  Chuggitas and all.
Title: 921 Elden -- 21 September 2005
Post by: arkabee on September 21, 2005, 04:57:44 pm
happy- arc continues excellently.

saddy- last comic's timing was still rushed.
Title: 921 Elden -- 21 September 2005
Post by: revdj on September 21, 2005, 06:25:30 pm
Quote from: "arlucasinc"

The car is totally a ghost car! Awesome.


GHOST CARS ILLEGAL
Title: 921 Elden -- 21 September 2005
Post by: mrchee on September 21, 2005, 07:04:21 pm
Achewood is the only comic that can be truly said to be atmospheric.  Theirin lies the appeal...
Title: 921 Elden -- 21 September 2005
Post by: Suckin_Dick on September 21, 2005, 07:43:38 pm
I love the little "sub-frame" of ray's reaction to finding the note in the wallet.  just a great face.  Also, the house number on the curb is a great little detail that i only noticed on the second time thru.  excellent strip.
Title: 921 Elden -- 21 September 2005
Post by: Capn on September 21, 2005, 08:11:43 pm
I just started reading this board again because I was enjoying this CH story so much, when I got an email saying my inactive account was going to be deleted.
Title: 921 Elden -- 21 September 2005
Post by: CortJstr on September 21, 2005, 08:22:52 pm
Quote from: "Capn"
I just started reading this board again because I was enjoying this CH story so much, when I got an email saying my inactive account was going to be deleted.

Actually we all got those. And as you can see my account is hardly inactive.
Title: 921 Elden -- 21 September 2005
Post by: jough on September 21, 2005, 09:51:38 pm
Dude, you have 24 posts - you're fine.

I'm just doing a little housecleaning before the move on Thursday to the new domain, and the computer-signed-up 0 post accounts are going to GO.
Title: 921 Elden -- 21 September 2005
Post by: mrchee on September 21, 2005, 09:54:24 pm
don't delete me, please!  i read all the time, but i rarely post...
Title: 921 Elden -- 21 September 2005
Post by: jough on September 21, 2005, 10:12:50 pm
Dude, seriously, your post count isn't a secret.  Look at your profile, or the number under your name when you post.  

If it doesn't say: "Posts: 0" then you're fine.

Basically I'm going to do this:

DELETE FROM Users WHERE postCount=0;

So if your post count != 0, you're fine.  

But I'm happy to see long lost posters coming out of the woodwork to post.  Welcome home, fellas.
Title: 921 Elden -- 21 September 2005
Post by: idealneo on September 21, 2005, 10:21:42 pm
I've just returned to the board after
a prolonged absence.  Has it been discussed
how Cartilage Head is so very similar in
atmosphere to Eraser Head?
Title: 921 Elden -- 21 September 2005
Post by: Roger on September 21, 2005, 11:44:36 pm
This arc is really one of the best, but it will only surpass the super-secret ice cream shop if Onstad comes up with a line as good and unexpected as Beef's Tori Amos bit.
Title: 921 Elden -- 21 September 2005
Post by: Islefrank on September 22, 2005, 12:07:49 am
I bitched about Ray taking over Achewood for a long time, but not anymore. It was totally the blogs that did it-- Ray's party stories are solid God damn gold, and finally made me get why I should care about this guy.

That said, I still like Ray best when he's reacting to someone else's manipulations-- he puts his own flair into it in a way that Beef, for example, does not. (Conversely Beef is more interesting when he's the one putting events into motion.) He is the perfect person to stick into the big Gothic nightmare plots (Hell/Ice Cream Parlor) because they don't tend to overwhelm his personality, and thus the plot will feel like Achewood, rather than a cool story Onstad thought up which happens to feature an Achewood character.

And now my account is saved.
Title: 921 Elden -- 21 September 2005
Post by: V-Adore on September 22, 2005, 12:13:52 am
Quote from: "Islefrank"
I bitched about Ray taking over Achewood for a long time, but not anymore. It was totally the blogs that did it-- Ray's party stories are solid God damn gold, and finally made me get why I should care about this guy.

That said, I still like Ray best when he's reacting to someone else's manipulations-- he puts his own flair into it in a way that Beef, for example, does not. (Conversely Beef is more interesting when he's the one putting events into motion.) He is the perfect person to stick into the big Gothic nightmare plots (Hell/Ice Cream Parlor) because they don't tend to overwhelm his personality, and thus the plot will feel like Achewood, rather than a cool story Onstad thought up which happens to feature an Achewood character.

And now my account is saved.

Yeah, I get you. I like Ray in the big gothic plots because it fundamentally challenges his personality but doesn't overwhelm it. I like to see Ray actually face things that he can't just ignore by virtue of being Ray, but yeah, "weird side-stories with an Achewood character in them for vague continuity" don't really work either. The CH arc is as close as we've come in strip history to Ray's personality actually being overwhelmed, and I find that interesting.

Also, for all of you who are stopping in to make one post? Feel free to stick around. Most of you seem to have excellent points about the strip, and we always like more voices contributing.
Title: I am ghost car.
Post by: dryguy on September 22, 2005, 12:23:37 am
Quote from: "southworth813"
Anybody else notice that the car is suddenly transparent?


I noticed the car is a black silhouette - not a surprise for a scene in the dark. How do you figure it is transparent?
Title: Re: I am ghost car.
Post by: CortJstr on September 22, 2005, 12:55:53 am
Quote from: "dryguy"
Quote from: "southworth813"
Anybody else notice that the car is suddenly transparent?

I noticed the car is a black silhouette - not a surprise for a scene in the dark. How do you figure it is transparent?

In panel one look down by the tires and axles, you can see the road through the car. Now look at the last panel and you can see parts of the sidewalk through the car. But on the previous day it looks totally solid. So it appear that the car is fading away.
Title: Re: I am ghost car.
Post by: takethemoneyandRUN on September 22, 2005, 01:26:49 am
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "dryguy"
Quote from: "southworth813"
Anybody else notice that the car is suddenly transparent?

I noticed the car is a black silhouette - not a surprise for a scene in the dark. How do you figure it is transparent?

In panel one look down by the tires and axles, you can see the road through the car. Now look at the last panel and you can see parts of the sidewalk through the car. But on the previous day it looks totally solid. So it appear that the car is fading away.


It's just like that to show the detail of the wheels.
Title: 921 Elden -- 21 September 2005
Post by: Noah on September 22, 2005, 02:11:11 am
i don't know if i have enough posts for you to not delete my account ?

please don't delete my account
Title: 921 Elden -- 21 September 2005
Post by: Lister on September 22, 2005, 02:20:39 am
I never had this tagged as a setup.  This just proves to me that Cartliage Head is a goddamned entertainer, the likes of which we have never seen.

And he creeps me out to no end.
Title: 921 Elden -- 21 September 2005
Post by: Emory on September 22, 2005, 03:10:59 am
Quote from: "Emory"
I doubt that this is the end of this particular story-line. 'Grand Finale' might refer more to CH's performance, not the story. Onstad leaves the end wide open. Perhaps Ray will take his car... He's been known to do things of that sort.



Oh man. I totally called this yesterday.
Title: Re: I am ghost car.
Post by: siroxo on September 22, 2005, 04:05:34 am
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "dryguy"
Quote from: "southworth813"
Anybody else notice that the car is suddenly transparent?

I noticed the car is a black silhouette - not a surprise for a scene in the dark. How do you figure it is transparent?

In panel one look down by the tires and axles, you can see the road through the car. Now look at the last panel and you can see parts of the sidewalk through the car. But on the previous day it looks totally solid. So it appear that the car is fading away.

It looks like Onstad has reposted the 921 Elden strip with a solid black silhouette, no more see through car.
Title: 921 Elden -- 21 September 2005
Post by: jough on September 22, 2005, 04:52:00 am
Damn those Illustrator opacities!
Title: Re: I am ghost car.
Post by: idealneo on September 22, 2005, 12:04:19 pm
Quote from: "siroxo"

It looks like Onstad has reposted the 921 Elden strip with a solid black silhouette, no more see through car.



damn!  i wonder if anyone stole the image before it was changed
Title: 921 Elden -- 21 September 2005
Post by: beanmom on September 22, 2005, 03:52:06 pm
Pointless (really really pointless) observation -- is it 921 Elden because it's the 9/21 strip?
Title: 921 Elden -- 21 September 2005
Post by: hello_jello on September 22, 2005, 07:15:50 pm
Quote from: "beanmom"
Pointless (really really pointless) observation -- is it 921 Elden because it's the 9/21 strip?


No.


ha ha Just kidding that is not a thing that I would know DONT DELETE MY ACCOUNT BTW I AM STILL HERE P.S. DON'T DELETE MY ACCOUNT as I'm pretty sure my post count will be at zero for a few more weeks. I don't feel like upgrading just yet.
Title: 921 Elden -- 21 September 2005
Post by: acoxcae on September 22, 2005, 07:50:52 pm
Quote from: "hello_jello"
ha ha Just kidding that is not a thing that I would know DONT DELETE MY ACCOUNT BTW I AM STILL HERE P.S. DON'T DELETE MY ACCOUNT as I'm pretty sure my post count will be at zero for a few more weeks. I don't feel like upgrading just yet.


Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but I think maybe you misunderstand the system - by posting (which you have clearly just done), your post count is raised by one.  So, if you had started with 0, you now have 1.  Which is not 0.  Therefore, your account will not be deleted.

At the time of this writing, you have 3 posts.  3!=0, so you're fine.

Carry on.

edit: After reading this post no fewer than 4 times during writing and later thread review, I still can't type.
Title: 921 Elden -- 21 September 2005
Post by: jough on September 22, 2005, 10:25:29 pm
Was there some other phrase I should have used other than post count?

I don't know - I just meant that post once, post ANYTHING, and you're fine.

Dang, people sure do get worked up about accounts that they've never actually used.
Title: 921 Elden -- 21 September 2005
Post by: hello_jello on September 23, 2005, 02:29:40 am
christ fine i will pay for the upgrade but you realize this is pretty much extortion right

paypal?





GUYS I AM JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!1 I know I'm not getting BOLEETED! Keep your I Heart Ray Smuckles size xxl BOXERS ON

<3
Title: 921 Elden -- 21 September 2005
Post by: AlohaDawg on September 23, 2005, 04:05:30 am
Jough, please consider a higher deletion standard than 0 posts.

Thanks.
Title: 921 Elden -- 21 September 2005
Post by: pmcd9 on September 23, 2005, 05:00:56 am
You must be kidding, that shit is gold.

I heart Ray Smuckles XXL boxers.

Fuck yeah!!!

~Paul
Title: 921 Elden -- 21 September 2005
Post by: jough on September 23, 2005, 07:17:04 am
Yeah, I think hello_jello has to go just on general principle.
Title: 921 Elden -- 21 September 2005
Post by: Capn on September 23, 2005, 06:07:03 pm
jough, do I have enough posts to not be deleted now?
Title: 921 Elden -- 21 September 2005
Post by: wombat on September 23, 2005, 09:05:54 pm
Why dosn't anyone trust Jough's arithmetic?
Title: 921 Elden -- 21 September 2005
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on September 23, 2005, 09:08:50 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
Why dosn't anyone trust Jough's arithmetic?


Look what happened when we trusted his spelling.
Title: 921 Elden -- 21 September 2005
Post by: AlohaDawg on September 23, 2005, 11:01:10 pm
2nd appeal. I suggest the deletion bar be raised significantly.
Title: 921 Elden -- 21 September 2005
Post by: jough on September 24, 2005, 03:47:46 am
I think I'm going to wipe the slate clean, only allow a few elite people to re-join, and then have us vote for new members to be admitted.

It's the only way.
Title: 921 Elden -- 21 September 2005
Post by: AugustWest on September 24, 2005, 04:33:03 am
I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member.

-- Groucho Marx
Title: 921 Elden -- 21 September 2005
Post by: ndpatel on September 24, 2005, 10:31:27 am
it's funny because as a longstanding lurker / sporadic poster i know too much for you to fuck with me.

CIA MOTHERFUCKERS

i would like to thank tequila for helping me write this post. also, not getting laid tonight. you're an awesome friend, not getting laid. so not afraid to get deep.