The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: AlohaDawg on September 21, 2005, 07:44:00 am
-
But has anyone else found the first two offerings of the Simpsons this season to be a festival of suckitudinous dreck?
I'm a dissatisfied customer.
-
Well, sure, but it's not really worth complaining about given the past five years' seasons.
-
I haven't been watching it regularly for years, but thanks to the goodness of bittorrent I'll check out the first two to see if they've really fallen on hard times or if they're just average for the Simpsons.
I did get to see a sneak peek of "Everybody Hates Chris" last week, though, and it's really really good. And for a comedy, I was a little shocked at how serious it could become on a dime.
-
I did get to see a sneak peek of "Everybody Hates Chris" last week, though, and it's really really good. And for a comedy, I was a little shocked at how serious it could become on a dime.
Really? The premise sounded kind of meh to me plus it's on UPN and I'm not exactly their target demo.
-
EHC is very stylized and obviously playing on The Wonder Years a bit, and yeah, the first show was very first-showy, but it settles into its groove pretty quickly (well, I only saw the first three episodes) and seems like a winner to me, who isn't really much of a UPN watcher either (although I just finished watching the first season of Veronica Mars which was surprisingly good, even though I'm not a teenage girl that the show was obviously made for).
-
Anybody else catch My Name is Earl? Now that was funny.
-
Anybody else catch My Name is Earl? Now that was funny.
Damn, I'd considered it just for the View Askew connection but most previews made it sound pretty blah. But Tuesdays are bad for me so I might not be able to catch that one anyway.
-
I recorded "My Name is Earl" just because I heard it was getting good reviews. The commercials for it looked REALLY insipid, though, so I don't know about that one. I'm willing to give it an episode or two, though.
I was unimpressed with "Threshold" which is just as well. When Sci-Fi is bad... man, it's *really* bad.
The Office continues to amuse me, although not as much as the original BBC version. I expect that the U.S. Office will do better once they're out of material to "translate" from the original and have to come up with new scripts.
-
i get UPN and ABC on the rabbit ears.
Veronica Mars is a rather good show.
Sadly, Girlfriends has yet to grow on me.
-
I really dug Veronica Mars, and am looking forward to the new season. Lost was pretty cool in the end (only just got round to watching it) and will be watching more.
I watched the last season of the Simpsons and did enjoy it. I think, despite my love for Homer, if I had to choose, I'd go for Family Guy though. And that isn't always on top form anymore. The new season has been pretty good though.
I was considering checking out My Name is Earl, guess I will now. And I shall check out EHC too... Hell, something else to watch!
There are a couple of other things that I was considering looking at, but I can't even remember what they were now...
Oh, I enjoy House. Nothing better than Hugh Laurie anyway, but Hugh Laurie being a cynical, smug jerk is great. It can be a bit much on the 'let's be emotional' front with the other characters though.
Also got round to downloading Look Around You last night, of which I liked the couple I saw on BBC a while back.
-
The last season was almost a bit of an upswing for The Simpsons. Nowhere near as good as the golden age of seasons 5-8, but better than recent years. But the first two eps of this season have been awful.
I did watch My Name Is Earl, and it was OK. It's no Arrested Development, but I think I'll keep watching it.
-
I find it sad that I get more excited about the reverse-seasons on Sci-Fi Friday than I do about "real" network shows.
-
Anybody else catch My Name is Earl? Now that was funny.
Sadly, I put off swimming to stay home and watch it. It was quite funny.
I do not regret this choice, but I may have to start taping future episodes. If TV makes me give up my exercise routine (pathetic as it is), I'll just have to shoot myself.
-
I forgot it was on, but MiniNova.org reminded me that I can pretty much watch any regular television program any time I want.
MNIE was okay. The Office was hilarious, though. I think they've really gotten out from under the BBC series now.
Yeah, what was up with those first two Simpsons? Simply awful. And not just awful by Simpson's standards, but just generally unfunny.