The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: mudokon on September 22, 2005, 07:28:14 am

Title: September 22, 2005 - SQUEEE POUF!
Post by: mudokon on September 22, 2005, 07:28:14 am
Well, now we can finally put all of this madness behind us.

Tomorrow: Roast Beef doesn't like Ray's new sunglasses, and also, Philippe is five.
Title: September 22, 2005 - SQUEEE POUF!
Post by: bonaparte on September 22, 2005, 08:06:54 am
wow, performance art that morphs into a moral test of an individual.  i wonder what would've happened if ray had stayed and attended to the seemingly-dying cartlidge head.  would balloons and confetti have dropped from the ceiling while scantily clad women escorted in a new orleans jazz band to symbolically bear CH and Ray away on their shoulders while steppin a lively jig and blaring out such songs as have not been heard for some time in the crescent city?  that is what i would like to think would have happened, but alas, Ray is a coward and we will never know.
Title: September 22, 2005 - SQUEEE POUF!
Post by: ndpatel on September 22, 2005, 08:08:07 am
the art deco font for the sound effects is clutch.

also: i really want a cadillac logo baseball hat. however, i look silly in hats. this is a major, major dilemma.
Title: September 22, 2005 - SQUEEE POUF!
Post by: Doc on September 22, 2005, 08:41:48 am
I still maintain that CH really did die, it's just that he is a showman and wanted to be sent off with tacky showmanship and something for his audience to remember the occasion by.
Title: September 22, 2005 - SQUEEE POUF!
Post by: misterqueue on September 22, 2005, 11:52:16 am
I think whether or not Messire CH ate the dirt is really rather up to the readers interpretation.  Personally it's much more fulfilling to me to think that he did.  The very idea that someone would go to such lengths to make a statement is such macabre theatre of the mind that it makes my vile black heart leap with utter joy... and maybe also pudding.

Still though, the caddy cap is a nice touch.
Title: September 22, 2005 - SQUEEE POUF!
Post by: Emory on September 22, 2005, 12:00:06 pm
That last panel is classic.
Title: September 22, 2005 - SQUEEE POUF!
Post by: MSC on September 22, 2005, 12:53:54 pm
Quote from: "bonaparte"
performance art that morphs into a moral test of an individual.


Well put, that's exactly what this was.

Excellent details all around.  The bird...the hat...the atmosphere of waking up in the morning.

I still don't understand why Ray sleeps in such a small bed.
Title: September 22, 2005 - SQUEEE POUF!
Post by: V-Adore on September 22, 2005, 01:08:05 pm
I'm more confused about why Ray would own a Cadillac baseball cap. That said, I love the detail, especially the whole panel dedicated to the bird.

Lovely ending. I don't really think it matters whether CH died or not, although this heavily suggests that it's a standard show for him. (Or, well, he just really wanted to do his suicide up nice.) Nonetheless, wonderful.
Title: September 22, 2005 - SQUEEE POUF!
Post by: CortJstr on September 22, 2005, 01:08:42 pm
I assume that CH was in the house. I don't think just an old-timey camera would've been enough to make Ray faint but seeing an already weird looking guy that he thought was dead probably would.

If I didn't already know that Ray drove a Cadillac I don't think I would've been able to ID that logo. So have they phased out that god awful escalade yet or what?
Title: September 22, 2005 - SQUEEE POUF!
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on September 22, 2005, 01:11:51 pm
I wonder if the premise of this week's strip (abandoning a dying man, etc.) started with Onstad watching last night's series premiere of "E-Ring," hearing the Nonpoint cover of "In the Air Tonight," and recalling the urban legend (http://www.snopes.com/music/songs/someair.htm) about it.

Guess we'll never know.
Title: September 22, 2005 - SQUEEE POUF!
Post by: miles on September 22, 2005, 02:18:03 pm
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
I wonder if the premise of this week's strip (abandoning a dying man, etc.) started with Onstad watching last night's series premiere of "E-Ring," hearing the Nonpoint cover of "In the Air Tonight," and recalling the urban legend (http://www.snopes.com/music/songs/someair.htm) about it.

Guess we'll never know.


Weird, that song (the original version) immediately burrowed in my ear after reading the strip, and I'm afraid it will stay there for some time.
Title: September 22, 2005 - SQUEEE POUF!
Post by: Turbo Ninja on September 22, 2005, 02:19:51 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I'm more confused about why Ray would own a Cadillac baseball cap.


He probably got it free when he bought his Escalade.  Cadillac likes to give away $8 promotional items with the purchase of $45,000 trucks.
Title: September 22, 2005 - SQUEEE POUF!
Post by: miles on September 22, 2005, 02:23:28 pm
Quote from: "Turbo Ninja"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I'm more confused about why Ray would own a Cadillac baseball cap.


He probably got it free when he bought his Escalade.  Cadillac likes to give away $8 promotional items with the purchase of $45,000 trucks.


I think it's probably more common with Porsche owners, but it made perfect sense to me that Ray would own Cadillac accessories to show-off.  I'm more confused about why Onstad devoted a whole panel to it.
Title: September 22, 2005 - SQUEEE POUF!
Post by: JordanB on September 22, 2005, 03:13:04 pm
The sudden change in atmosphere from the eerie noir
outside 921 Elden to the songbird whistling a chipper tune
is really quite beautiful.

Did it creep anyone else out that this change implied,
though, that someone (CH? of of his cronies?)
took Ray home, undressed him, put him to bed,
and left the souvenir photo for him to find?
If we didn't already recognize Ray's bed, the Cadillac cap
is there to prove that Ray's back at home, not in some
guest bedroom CH has already set up.
Title: September 22, 2005 - SQUEEE POUF!
Post by: Max on September 22, 2005, 03:44:43 pm
Is anyone else noticing the hand taking the photo?  Is that what CH's hand looks like?  Isn't that a paw?
Title: September 22, 2005 - SQUEEE POUF!
Post by: bonaparte on September 22, 2005, 04:08:28 pm
it does kind of bother me now that you mention it that ray is back home.  there is nowhere that CH and/or his minions cannot go.  also you have to wonder if ray woke up naked or in his thong...because depending on his state of undress, the creep factor could increase in exponential quantities.
Title: September 22, 2005 - SQUEEE POUF!
Post by: Capn on September 22, 2005, 05:26:38 pm
Quote from: "Max"
Is anyone else noticing the hand taking the photo?  Is that what CH's hand looks like?  Isn't that a paw?

I assume that is the same paw as seen on the door here (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=09202005)
Title: September 22, 2005 - SQUEEE POUF!
Post by: jough on September 22, 2005, 05:39:05 pm
The dude taking the photo is the same feller that gave Ray the original dinner invite.
Title: September 22, 2005 - SQUEEE POUF!
Post by: Golfhaus on September 22, 2005, 06:28:33 pm
Cartilage Head wins.

Quote from: "bonaparte"
wow, performance art that morphs into a moral test of an individual. i wonder what would've happened if ray had stayed and attended to the seemingly-dying cartlidge head. would balloons and confetti have dropped from the ceiling while scantily clad women escorted in a new orleans jazz band to symbolically bear CH and Ray away on their shoulders while steppin a lively jig and blaring out such songs as have not been heard for some time in the crescent city? that is what i would like to think would have happened, but alas, Ray is a coward and we will never know.


It's my opinion that CH has never had to think of what to do in this situation, as I would imagine the person in seat Z-1 ALWAYS bolts out the window. "Human" nature being what it is and all.

Also: it is still really nice to see Ray put in a situation he can't control. Now that the arc is over and he stands humiliated (if only in front of CH and himself), it makes him seem more... "believable" isn't the right word I'm looking for, and neither is "natural," but I can't put my finger on what the right word would be.
Title: September 22, 2005 - SQUEEE POUF!
Post by: Roger on September 22, 2005, 06:38:19 pm
Am I being too picky for noticing that Ray's picture on the card can't be the one taken by the camera? He's actually seen from the same angle as in panel 5. Which is our point of view, not the camera's.
Title: September 22, 2005 - SQUEEE POUF!
Post by: AugustWest on September 22, 2005, 07:03:25 pm
Quote from: "Golfhaus"
Also: it is still really nice to see Ray put in a situation he can't control. Now that the arc is over and he stands humiliated (if only in front of CH and himself), it makes him seem more... "believable" isn't the right word I'm looking for, and neither is "natural," but I can't put my finger on what the right word would be.


Human?
Title: September 22, 2005 - SQUEEE POUF!
Post by: slink on September 22, 2005, 07:18:15 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"

Human?


Vogonity?
Title: September 22, 2005 - SQUEEE POUF!
Post by: V-Adore on September 22, 2005, 07:22:49 pm
Quote from: "Golfhaus"
Cartilage Head wins.

Quote from: "bonaparte"
wow, performance art that morphs into a moral test of an individual. i wonder what would've happened if ray had stayed and attended to the seemingly-dying cartlidge head. would balloons and confetti have dropped from the ceiling while scantily clad women escorted in a new orleans jazz band to symbolically bear CH and Ray away on their shoulders while steppin a lively jig and blaring out such songs as have not been heard for some time in the crescent city? that is what i would like to think would have happened, but alas, Ray is a coward and we will never know.


It's my opinion that CH has never had to think of what to do in this situation, as I would imagine the person in seat Z-1 ALWAYS bolts out the window. "Human" nature being what it is and all.

Fair point. I was thinking about this today, and it occurs to me that whoever's seated in Z-1 probably always is the sort of person who'd have about Ray's reaction to the CH show: shock tinged with sadness and horror. Such a person is definitely going to bolt out the window when Cartilage Head shuffles off his mortal coil (or appears to).
Title: September 22, 2005 - SQUEEE POUF!
Post by: cellardoor on September 22, 2005, 08:19:09 pm
The thing i've just thought of...what if it had been Beef instead of Ray?
Oh man!
Title: September 22, 2005 - SQUEEE POUF!
Post by: AlohaDawg on September 22, 2005, 10:44:11 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
it occurs to me that whoever's seated in Z-1 probably always is the sort of person who'd have about Ray's reaction to the CH show: shock tinged with sadness and horror. Such a person is definitely going to bolt out the window when Cartilage Head shuffles off his mortal coil (or appears to).


This is how I felt about Shields and Yarnell when I was a kid, and also Mummenschanz when I was older.
Title: September 22, 2005 - SQUEEE POUF!
Post by: evan on September 23, 2005, 12:40:23 am
I think Beef would have stayed. He seems like the kind of guy who would come through in a Situation.
Title: September 22, 2005 - SQUEEE POUF!
Post by: drew on September 23, 2005, 03:54:10 am
Did any one else notice the tiny "fin" at the bottom right of the last pannel? Dramatic, No?

Also, the alt-text makes me feel very sad inside.
Title: September 22, 2005 - SQUEEE POUF!
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on September 23, 2005, 03:57:19 am
Quote from: "drew"
Did any one else notice the tiny "fin" at the bottom right of the last pannel? Dramatic, No?

Also, the alt-text makes me feel very sad inside.


Happens at the close of most story arcs.
Title: September 22, 2005 - SQUEEE POUF!
Post by: dairyquest on September 23, 2005, 07:46:05 pm
what I would like now would be an "I Proved Myself a Coward Who Would Desert a Dying Man" t-shirt
Title: September 22, 2005 - SQUEEE POUF!
Post by: MattFish on September 23, 2005, 07:49:13 pm
Quote from: "dairyquest"
what I would like now would be an "I Proved Myself a Coward Who Would Desert a Dying Man" t-shirt


Agreed. This story was awesome.
Title: September 22, 2005 - SQUEEE POUF!
Post by: wombat on September 23, 2005, 08:06:41 pm
I was afraid to post anything because what I wanted to say was that I was apparently the only one who didn't get this whole CH deal. But instead I am here to proclaim that it is true that some of the strips read better once you can read the whole story, instead of doled out in little bits from day to day.

This may be crazy but my favorite detail is the house number painted on the curbstone.  It may make it seem exotic because I have never lived somewhere where that is the tradition.
Title: September 22, 2005 - SQUEEE POUF!
Post by: AlohaDawg on September 23, 2005, 08:35:55 pm
Quote from: "wombat"

This may be crazy but my favorite detail is the house number painted on the curbstone.  It may make it seem exotic because I have never lived somewhere where that is the tradition.


Where I live now it's an option - amusingly enough, there was a flyer in the mailbox telling me that for, like, $50 some guy would paint out house number on the curb next to our driveway. Ostensibly this is a safety feature, they would use some kind of paint that glowed in the dark, withstood dog urine, and would call 911 if it sensed that the house was on fire. Or something.

At any rate, I was not about to pay ANYONE fifty dollars to paint a pair of eights on the concrete next to my mailbox.
Title: September 22, 2005 - SQUEEE POUF!
Post by: wombat on September 23, 2005, 09:04:29 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"

At any rate, I was not about to pay ANYONE fifty dollars to paint a pair of eights on the concrete next to my mailbox.


Wow, you sure have to admire the entrepreneureal spirit, though (even if you can't spell it either).
Title: September 22, 2005 - SQUEEE POUF!
Post by: Null on September 23, 2005, 09:16:23 pm
I thought the hat was Roast Beef's.  He wore something quite similar to it (sans logo) when he hacked into Yahoo.

I further thought that the hat was left there as a taunt.

I've been wrong before.
Title: September 22, 2005 - SQUEEE POUF!
Post by: Capn on September 23, 2005, 09:45:26 pm
Quote
At any rate, I was not about to pay ANYONE fifty dollars to paint a pair of eights on the concrete next to my mailbox.


You should see if you can pay him $25 to paint one 8, then just hire a kid for $5 to copy it.
Title: September 22, 2005 - SQUEEE POUF!
Post by: CortJstr on September 23, 2005, 10:25:21 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
This may be crazy but my favorite detail is the house number painted on the curbstone.  It may make it seem exotic because I have never lived somewhere where that is the tradition.

In my old neighborhood the fire deparment would do it for free. It's so incredibly useful to them that they were willing to take the loss just to get the numbers out there.
Title: September 22, 2005 - SQUEEE POUF!
Post by: jough on September 23, 2005, 10:50:16 pm
Man, this ending with the moral lesson was even more like The Game.

So was Beef in on it from the get-go?
Title: September 22, 2005 - SQUEEE POUF!
Post by: Phasma Felis on September 24, 2005, 04:21:49 am
To me the Cadillac ballcap said "improbable combination of upper crust and trailer trash," which is Ray to a T.

Quote from: "cellardoor"
The thing i've just thought of...what if it had been Beef instead of Ray?
Oh man!

I think Beef would have fled in terror immediately after getting the invitation.

In fact, I suspect that he chickened out the day before, and that "Dude so like listen uh I got plans tomorrow" was a ruse to get the ticket off his hands.
Title: September 22, 2005 - SQUEEE POUF!
Post by: Suckin_Dick on September 25, 2005, 05:57:14 pm
has anyone else seen the websnark writeup of this particular storyline?  it is a pretty good little meditation on the sorts of things we've been talking about here.

http://www.websnark.com/archives/2005/09/why_they_got_to.html
Title: September 22, 2005 - SQUEEE POUF!
Post by: robot_roll_call on September 25, 2005, 06:55:07 pm
Quote from: "Suckin_Dick"
has anyone else seen the websnark writeup of this particular storyline?  it is a pretty good little meditation on the sorts of things we've been talking about here.

http://www.websnark.com/archives/2005/09/why_they_got_to.html


Man I hate that site.

Also, I think Beef would have been excited to eat dinner with CH. Seems like the kind of thing he would get enjoyment from.
Title: I got blisters on my fingers!
Post by: dryguy on September 25, 2005, 08:50:36 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
I assume that CH was in the house.


Maybe, but the hand on the flash bulb is a paw, whereas CH had very long spindly fingers.
Title: September 22, 2005 - SQUEEE POUF!
Post by: Pedro Picasso on September 27, 2005, 08:35:22 pm
Did anybody else ever wonder whether or not Roast Beef was in on it?
Title: September 22, 2005 - SQUEEE POUF!
Post by: jough on September 27, 2005, 09:52:00 pm
Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
Did anybody else ever wonder whether or not Roast Beef was in on it?


http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?p=44767#44767
Title: September 22, 2005 - SQUEEE POUF!
Post by: side_show on September 27, 2005, 10:14:44 pm
This storyline was the most wonderful way to return to the internet.  And infact, this is why I love Achewood.  It's like a warm mug of cocoa.  

And yes, put me down for one T-shirt please.
Title: September 22, 2005 - SQUEEE POUF!
Post by: Pedro Picasso on September 28, 2005, 02:13:29 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
Did anybody else ever wonder whether or not Roast Beef was in on it?


http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?p=44767#44767


Thank you, Jough.  I suppose now is a good time to come out with it.  During my hiatus, I sustained a horrible but humorous injury to my forbrain, so while I am capable of posting, I can no longer read anything anybody else says.  The reading parts are gone, but the ego has doubled to compensate.
Title: September 22, 2005 - SQUEEE POUF!
Post by: arkabee on September 28, 2005, 06:53:18 pm
Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
Quote from: "jough"
Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
Did anybody else ever wonder whether or not Roast Beef was in on it?


http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?p=44767#44767


Thank you, Jough.  I suppose now is a good time to come out with it.  During my hiatus, I sustained a horrible but humorous injury to my forbrain, so while I am capable of posting, I can no longer read anything anybody else says.  The reading parts are gone, but the ego has doubled to compensate.


dude it's ok i've been in the internet for years now and i still can't read.

and occassionally write.

but never right.