The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: MattFish on September 26, 2005, 06:20:01 am

Title: Sept. 26th: Don't Ya Steal Mah' Hat
Post by: MattFish on September 26, 2005, 06:20:01 am
Apparently Roast Beef has very well-defined taste in music.

I need to have a variety of music in my car such that Kraftwerk and Lyle Lovett can live in dissonant harmony.
Title: Sept. 26th: Don't Ya Steal Mah' Hat
Post by: JordanB on September 26, 2005, 06:48:14 am
Evidently Beef subscribes to the attitudinal theory
of evaluative language, but not so much
that he isn't willing specifically to point it out.

Even so, A.J. Ayer would be proud.
Title: Sept. 26th: Don't Ya Steal Mah' Hat
Post by: jough on September 26, 2005, 07:43:55 am
I don't know.  I like the idea of these petty disputes with the Missus, but a joke about Germans being into people going to the bathroom on them?  Ho hum.
Title: Sept. 26th: Don't Ya Steal Mah' Hat
Post by: arlucasinc on September 26, 2005, 10:53:00 am
To me, it seemed like he was saying that he doesn't need to say he'd go to the bathroom on Kraftwerk because there were already people willing to do so, i.e. already a bunch of others who hate them.

I never even considered that he was saying the liked that sort of thing. But maybe that's because it's really early.

Either way, is Roast Beef saying that he doesn't like Kraftwerk? I find that hard to believe.

Also, the topic for this thread shoulda been "Don't Ya Steal Mah Hat."

I'm just sayin'.
Title: Sept. 26th: Don't Ya Steal Mah' Hat
Post by: misterqueue on September 26, 2005, 12:13:47 pm
Definitely put me in the "I don't like Molly" camp.  I'm not entirely certain why she's with my main man Beef there, but hell, if I could figure out some of my friends relationships then I'd probably be involved in such as some other business for working.

For the record, Kraftwerk does hire guys to come pee on them; they're called SQUAD.P#, and they have impeccable aim (so as not to hit the *****s).
Title: Sept. 26th: Don't Ya Steal Mah' Hat
Post by: V-Adore on September 26, 2005, 12:32:00 pm
I think the alt text is easily the funniest thing about this strip.

Also, why does Molly like Lyle Lovett at all? Irony value?
Title: Sept. 26th: Don't Ya Steal Mah' Hat
Post by: JorgeFabregas on September 26, 2005, 12:39:20 pm
I unironically like Lyle Lovett. It's not difficult.
Title: Sept. 26th: Don't Ya Steal Mah' Hat
Post by: southworth813 on September 26, 2005, 02:10:08 pm
Mattgiraffe, you totally caved on changing the thread subject. Don't let that pushy jerk arlucasinc push you around! Stick by your internet guns, man!

Besides, everybody knows the thread should have been called "agh!".

Obviously.
Title: Sept. 26th: Don't Ya Steal Mah' Hat
Post by: jough on September 26, 2005, 03:42:18 pm
I like the current subject better, as it doesn't give away the "punchline" for those who checked here before reading the strip.
Title: Sept. 26th: Don't Ya Steal Mah' Hat
Post by: southworth813 on September 26, 2005, 03:58:44 pm
You used to be cool.
Title: Sept. 26th: Don't Ya Steal Mah' Hat
Post by: CortJstr on September 26, 2005, 05:01:35 pm
Quote from: "southworth813"
You used to be cool.

When was this?

Man, I'm practically beggin to be banned. Or at least to get an insulting title.
Title: Sept. 26th: Don't Ya Steal Mah' Hat
Post by: jough on September 26, 2005, 05:14:06 pm
Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye is punishment enough for you, Cort.
Title: Sept. 26th: Don't Ya Steal Mah' Hat
Post by: Roger on September 26, 2005, 05:42:30 pm
Quote from: "arlucasinc"
Either way, is Roast Beef saying that he doesn't like Kraftwerk? I find that hard to believe.


How could Beef NOT like Kraftwerk? They wrote songs about pocket calculators, for pete's sake!
I think his last remark was totally out of respect for them Krauts.
Title: Sept. 26th: Don't Ya Steal Mah' Hat
Post by: Beatrice on September 26, 2005, 11:18:51 pm
I don't see how that's not Beef's Lovett tape that already in the dash.  Dude likes to have an odd mix of music in the car even if it's stuff he don't like.  He wouldn't let Molly put it in for the first place if she brought it from other areas.  This also is a painfully jolting jump from CH.  

Cartilidge Head >>>>> Lyle Lovett.   (???)  



Other asinine comments:

I ordered a hoodie from achewood finally.  I'll post a picture when it gets here in TEN YEARS.
Title: Sept. 26th: Don't Ya Steal Mah' Hat
Post by: MattFish on September 27, 2005, 01:00:17 am
Quote from: "Beatrice"
I don't see how that's not Beef's Lovett tape that already in the dash.  Dude likes to have an odd mix of music in the car even if it's stuff he don't like.


I find it likely he keeps it in there just to skip through, as that action is oddly comforting.

I changed the title because not only was Jough right in that the punchline was rather compromised, but Mah' Hat is so much funnier
Title: Sept. 26th: Don't Ya Steal Mah' Hat
Post by: arlucasinc on September 27, 2005, 02:37:26 am
Quote from: "southworth813"
Don't let that pushy jerk arlucasinc push you around!


Dang, yo... That's harsh.
Title: Sept. 26th: Don't Ya Steal Mah' Hat
Post by: miles on September 27, 2005, 04:06:11 am
Quote from: "JorgeFabregas"
I unironically like Lyle Lovett. It's not difficult.


Me too.  It was hard to accept because my Mom likes him, and when I was younger I had lumped him with other "Mom Music" musicians--you know:  Peabo Bryson, Michael Bolton, etc.  I only really know his earlier stuff, but it ain't bad.
Title: Sept. 26th: Don't Ya Steal Mah' Hat
Post by: antioch on September 27, 2005, 04:25:37 am
Quote from: "misterqueue"

For the record, Kraftwerk does hire guys to come pee on them; they're called SQUAD.P#, and they have impeccable aim (so as not to hit the *****s).


 This thing you have written, it is beautiful.

I thought Beef was suggesting Kraftwerk are so rich that they have servants to do thee deed. The only rich person he knows probably would hire people to do that, if it suited him (I'm not implying any kind of fetish here. That's just crass. I mean if Ray found out that waste is a great natural exfoliant, etc).
Title: Sept. 26th: Don't Ya Steal Mah' Hat
Post by: pmcd9 on September 27, 2005, 10:36:25 am
My original interpretation coincides with arlucasinc that Beef is suggesting Kraftwerk is hated by many, but the German pee fetish actually makes better sense.

As for Lyle Lovett, being from Texas I have tried to no avail to like him.  He's got a good idea with his "large band" concept but he writes terribly boring songs.  Take for instance the song Beef and Molly are listening to.  It's a mildy funny concept, you can steal my girl, I don't care about her, but don't fuck with my hat.  But the song has like 10 verses (maybe it just seems like it) and they all say basically the exact same thing.   He did an album of covers by other Texas Trubadors that's pretty good.

~Paul
Title: Sept. 26th: Don't Ya Steal Mah' Hat
Post by: AlohaDawg on September 27, 2005, 06:33:15 pm
For whatever reason I've always put ol' Lyle in the K.D. Lang category - kind of it's own category - and I can't get excited about either one.

I <do> like Dwight Yoakam, though. So go figure.
Title: Sept. 26th: Don't Ya Steal Mah' Hat
Post by: AugustWest on September 28, 2005, 01:13:08 am
I used to work with Dwight Yoakum's dad.  And Cameron Crowe's uncle at the same place.