The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: misterqueue on September 27, 2005, 10:54:59 am
-
Jamie the Science friend is a terrible TV moniker, but I suppose it beats Bill Nye the Science Guy by a few metres at least.
Also, a faux Mexican chihuahua accent is not how I want to get today's latest atom and molecule news.
Further Also, I like how in the second panel you can see Ray was attempting to figure it out on his own; the basic methods of which involved a simple flashlight and the opening of a panel. Such is the explorations a la Ray.
Edit: Further astute commentary by yours truly, really I'm very sorry about this.
-
why did it take me ten minutes after i saw your post to see the actual strip? for a while it was just yesterday's, but i'd read this and assumed you were craaaazy.
funny stuff, this.
-
why did it take me ten minutes after i saw your post to see the actual strip? for a while it was just yesterday's, but i'd read this and assumed you were craaaazy.
Sometimes you gotta hit refresh.
~Paul
-
Panel four is perfect, the essence of Ray.
-
You're also assuming I'm not "craaaazy"
I mean.. I don't have a [Sane] stamp on my hand or anything. I guess I'll check and see if it's written on my underwear later.
-
What I'm wondering is was Ray's printer jammed/broken or was he just looking inside with a flashlight because he was bored and curious?
-
I say the latter. Sometimes a man just needs to Investigate.
This is funny and all, but I'm not quite feeling it. Maybe once CH isn't so fresh.
-
Ray in the last panel was the final punchline for me, just very Ray to do the (supposed) hollywood thing of 'We love you, you should do that on tv. Now here are all the things you should change.'
-
Jamie the Science friend is a terrible TV moniker, but I suppose it beats Bill Nye the Science Guy by a few metres at least.
Blasphemy!
-
So when Ray asked how it worked, and Beef started to explain how, I thought Ray was pissed because he was wondering about stuff like: how to turn it on, how to install the drivers, how to connect it to the computer. Stuff like that. But he really wanted to know how it worked. Why the fuck did he want to know that?
-
Jamie the Science friend is a terrible TV moniker, but I suppose it beats Bill Nye the Science Guy by a few metres at least.
Blasphemy!
My thoughts exactly, andalucia.
-
Blasphemy nothing! I'm a Beakman man till the day I shuffle off this something or other... WORD UP MY DROOGS!
-
I originally read this as "Jaime the science FIEND" and totally think it sounds better. Some wacky latino just FIENDING for Science, baby, FIENDING!
Also: not scandinavian hip-hop, but much much better:Bollywood Meets Beatles (http://www.bobbyisosceles.com/bollywood_beatles.wmv) (choreography: Luigi Galvani)
-
So when Ray asked how it worked, and Beef started to explain how, I thought Ray was pissed because he was wondering about stuff like: how to turn it on, how to install the drivers, how to connect it to the computer. Stuff like that. But he really wanted to know how it worked. Why the fuck did he want to know that?
Just because? I have often wondered how a laser printer works, and now, thanks to Achewood, I know.
-
Blasphemy nothing! I'm a Beakman man till the day I shuffle off this something or other... WORD UP MY DROOGS!
I have Beakman's autograph. I saw him do a show LIVE at a children's science museum. It changed my life forever (I took an introductory science course once).
Beakman is the best by far. Bill Nye was just a ripoff.
-
Does anybody else feel like this strip, coming off the CH bender, would have been better served catching up with Teodor, or Mr Bear, or someone? This 'ray has a crazy idea/beef has a quiet but clever witty assessment' thing just feels even more tired after last week's stuff.
-
Blasphemy nothing! I'm a Beakman man till the day I shuffle off this something or other... WORD UP MY DROOGS!
I have Beakman's autograph. I saw him do a show LIVE at a children's science museum. It changed my life forever (I took an introductory science course once).
Beakman is the best by far. Bill Nye was just a ripoff.
Agreed, Beakman did it with substance AND style, and seeing him live would indeed be a treat.
Plus... you know.. he always had deliciously wondrous nubile cohorts, and no I'm not talking about the guy in the ratsuit. (I think the 2nd or 3rd girl was my favorite but I was pretty young then so I'm not sure.)
-
Does anybody else feel like this strip, coming off the CH bender, would have been better served catching up with Teodor, or Mr Bear, or someone? This 'ray has a crazy idea/beef has a quiet but clever witty assessment' thing just feels even more tired after last week's stuff.
Yeah, I'm with you there. I rather wish we saw any evidence that Ray was shaken up at all by the CH thing. Even a little.
I'm not sure if I dare say it, but: MORE LYLE
-
So when Ray asked how it worked, and Beef started to explain how, I thought Ray was pissed because he was wondering about stuff like: how to turn it on, how to install the drivers, how to connect it to the computer. Stuff like that. But he really wanted to know how it worked. Why the fuck did he want to know that?
Just because? I have often wondered how a laser printer works, and now, thanks to Achewood, I know.
Who hasn't wondered? I wasn't really asking for a reason. It was a rhetorical question. I just liked imagining the scenario before the strip picks it up: Ray calling Beef and asking how it works, Beef telling Ray to figure it out, Ray looking at the cartridge and shit with a flashlight, and finally calling Beef back to ask him again.
-
Does anybody else feel like this strip, coming off the CH bender, would have been better served catching up with Teodor, or Mr Bear, or someone? This 'ray has a crazy idea/beef has a quiet but clever witty assessment' thing just feels even more tired after last week's stuff.
Yeah, I'm with you there. I rather wish we saw any evidence that Ray was shaken up at all by the CH thing. Even a little.
Yeah, I was kind of expecting/hoping that the Cartilage Head story line would end with or result in another little Ray breakdown a la the Korean restaurant from last year...
-
Bill Nye came to my company a few months ago to film footage for that 100 Greatest Inventions special and they eneded up using none of it. We have a bunch of radiologic artifacts like tubes that Roentgen actually used, some of his original images, and crap like that but the stupid Discovery channel decided to use reenactors instead. Bastards.
-
Also: not scandinavian hip-hop, but much much better:Bollywood Meets Beatles (http://www.bobbyisosceles.com/bollywood_beatles.wmv)
Ok, Wow...
I don't know if it was the Indian Mariachi Beatles doing pogo moves, the strange alternate lyrics to I Want to Hold Your Hand, the Indian Elvis and Ann Margaret, the bootycentric camera angles, Indian Elvis's Frankenstein on American Bandstand dance moves, the psychedelic freak out rave up ending or the combination of all these things, but my mind is now blown. I need to sit in a quiet place for a little while
~Paul
-
But before I go, how can you compare Bill Nye to that Beakmon guy. Beakmon was all flash and no substance, Bill Nye brought the science.
~Paul
-
It's the other way around, dude. Bill Nye was a stand-up comic who did a bit about one of those 5AM science guys that would come on before his fuck*ng cartoons in the morning. He's what we in the business would call a "hack."
Beakman was the real fuck*ng deal.
And the chicks on the show were fuck*ng HOT.
-
It's the other way around, dude. Bill Nye was a stand-up comic who did a bit about one of those 5AM science guys that would come on before his fuck*ng cartoons in the morning. He's what we in the business would call a "hack."
Beakman was the real fuck*ng deal.
I don't really know, I was past watching kiddie shows when those two came along. I just wanted to post a contrary view. And I wanted to be on Lily's side 'cos she's the coolest thing this boards ever seen. So y'all can go back to writing about who had the best science for ritilin kids show. I got my science TV from the real real deal Mr Wizard (http://www.museum.tv/archives/etv/W/htmlW/watchmrwiz/watchmrwiz.htm).
~Paul
-
But I recently saw Bill Nye on an adult Science show as the "expert" being interviewed - how can this be if he is not a scientist? ...he was wearing a regular tie, not a bow tie, so I already felt the whole situation was dubious to begin with.... so maybe it was all a set-up.
Also, for my entire professional life I have been unable to dissassociate Bill Nye the Science Guy from world renouned Stage Make-up company Ben Nye Make-up. I was singing "Ben Nye the Make up Guy!," when I was applying stage-make up to an actor during a recent production, and no one in the cast of 18, ages 12-24 knew who Bill Nye was, so they all just thought I was crazy.
-
I don't really know, I was past watching kiddie shows when those two came along. I just wanted to post a contrary view. And I wanted to be on Lily's side 'cos she's the coolest thing this boards ever seen. So y'all can go back to writing about who had the best science for ritilin kids show. I got my science TV from the real real deal Mr Wizard (http://www.museum.tv/archives/etv/W/htmlW/watchmrwiz/watchmrwiz.htm).
~Paul
booo-ya, mr. paul is here to represent.
-
I would like to add that the Rat turned around real fast and hit me in the face with his tail on accident. At the Beakman show.
Also, Beakman has a big advantage over Mr. Wizard, in that he's alive.
-
Also, Beakman has a big advantage over Mr. Wizard, in that he's alive.
you,,,, bastard.
-
It's the other way around, dude. Bill Nye was a stand-up comic...
I remember him primarily as a cast member of Almost Live, a sketch comedy show from Seattle that I believe had a brief run on Comedy Central.
-
I originally read this as "Jaime the science FIEND" and totally think it sounds better. Some wacky latino just FIENDING for Science, baby, FIENDING!
Also: not scandinavian hip-hop, but much much better:Bollywood Meets Beatles (http://www.bobbyisosceles.com/bollywood_beatles.wmv) (choreography: Luigi Galvani)
This was fuck*ng incredible.
-
I'm heartbroken that anyone could not love Bill Nye and kind of bewildered that he was once a stand up comic. But he will always have a place in my heart because without videos of his TV show, I would never have survived teaching zoo summer camp, at least not with any vestiges of sanity.
-
I'm ok with Bill Nye, but Beakmon was a much funnier, edgier show. And his sidekicks were hot. Also, Beakman's strip in the Sunday funnies is usually pretty good.
-
As far as I know, Bill Nye does a lot of work for the NASA Channel these days. But most of the time I have trouble remembering that a NASA Channel even exists.
-
It's the other way around, dude. Bill Nye was a stand-up comic...
I remember him primarily as a cast member of Almost Live, a sketch comedy show from Seattle that I believe had a brief run on Comedy Central.
Finally, someone else remembers that show! Remember how the headbangers in the "LAME LIST" were Soundgarden, before they got famous?
-
I originally read this as "Jaime the science FIEND" and totally think it sounds better. Some wacky latino just FIENDING for Science, baby, FIENDING!
Also: not scandinavian hip-hop, but much much better:Bollywood Meets Beatles (http://www.bobbyisosceles.com/bollywood_beatles.wmv) (choreography: Luigi Galvani)
This was fuck*ng incredible.
Better than sex and half as coordinated.
-
It's the other way around, dude. Bill Nye was a stand-up comic who did a bit about one of those 5AM science guys that would come on before his fuck*ng cartoons in the morning. He's what we in the business would call a "hack."
Beakman was the real fuck*ng deal.
And the chicks on the show were fuck*ng HOT.
Not entirely true. Bill Nye was a mechanical engineer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Nye) before he did TV comedy. He worked for Boeing on the 747.
Beakman (actor Paul Zaloom (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Zaloom)) was based on a comic strip character created by Jok Church (http://amuniversal.com/ups/features/beakman_jax/bio.htm) in 1991. Jok himself seems to be the real deal.
So I guess when I say "not entirely true," I mean "almost entirely false." Except for the hot chicks.
-
I remember the Beakman show was kind of cool and I saw Bill Nye once on Jay Leno but your pitiful american science pales in the presence of the venerable australian Dr. Karl (http://www.abc.net.au/science/k2/). Apart from blind patriotism I have to be behind anyone who can use the phrase 'peripherally involved with the carnival circuit' in a demonstration of scientific principles.
-
Whenever Paul Zaloom came to Scitrek, he performed the same demonstrations as we did (long vinyl pressure baloons, Van de Graff) but just totally destroyed us all in terms of performance and relating the concepts. While he was in town he did this crazy 1-man play or something at an arthaus.
I would like to add that lovers meet for a moment...usually. I would like to reiterate this 3 or 4 more times than is nessesary.
-
Oh my.. look at what I've started.
Also, after a quick peek at the archives I'm not sure if I'm relieved or frightened that Jough has my back.
Maybe relieved but in that Kraftwerk kinda way... you know.. with pee.
-
It's the other way around, dude. Bill Nye was a stand-up comic...
I remember him primarily as a cast member of Almost Live, a sketch comedy show from Seattle that I believe had a brief run on Comedy Central.
Finally, someone else remembers that show! Remember how the headbangers in the "LAME LIST" were Soundgarden, before they got famous?
It was on Comedy Central for a while and even appeared on my NBC affiliate a few times. Usually opposite a football game or after Showtime at the Apollo or something. Mind Your Manners With Billy Kwan!
If Comedy Central dropped it's 19 Daily Show knock-offs and brought back Almost Live, Viva Variety, and The Vacant Lot I might never have to change the channel.
-
I didn't really watch Beakman or Bill Nye, as I was too busy with the wonderful and frightening world of college at the time.
Mr. Wizard, though, I remember fairly well before kicking off to school. More than anything, I remember a magnificent obsession the show had with dry ice.
And that's really all I gots.
-
I didn't really watch Beakman or Bill Nye, as I was too busy with the wonderful and frightening world of college at the time.
Mr. Wizard, though, I remember fairly well before kicking off to school. More than anything, I remember a magnificent obsession the show had with dry ice.
And that's really all I gots.
It was thanks to Mr. Wizard that I discovered how cool liquid nitrogen was. Who knew it was possible to shatter something like a Gummy Bear or air with a hammer?
-
It's the other way around, dude. Bill Nye was a stand-up comic...
I remember him primarily as a cast member of Almost Live, a sketch comedy show from Seattle that I believe had a brief run on Comedy Central.
Finally, someone else remembers that show! Remember how the headbangers in the "LAME LIST" were Soundgarden, before they got famous?
LAAAAAME!
That show was kind of a big deal up in Seattle, so I think a lot of people around my age and older would know it. I think Bill Nye was the only cast member that went on to really do something, although Pat Cashman was a popular radio personality in the area.