The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: V-Adore on August 27, 2003, 06:40:27 am

Title: In the vein of the exploratory thread in Sounds...
Post by: V-Adore on August 27, 2003, 06:40:27 am
Okay, I'm curious. I'd like to see what all you people read.

Post the strips you read today (or "so far this week/month" or whatever for less-frequently-updated strips), any you usually do but didn't today, or whatever. Reasoning/excuses welcome and encouraged; feel free to discuss, though, although really heated discussions of anything should probably go to new threads.

To start things out:

Read today: Narbonic, Wigu, DS, and Achewood.

Usually read, but have fallen behind on: Goats, Bob the Angry Flower, Ozy & Millie, Owlie, a few others.

You?
Title: In the vein of the exploratory thread in Sounds...
Post by: Nabubrush on August 27, 2003, 08:02:14 am
Read today: Achewood, DS.

Usually read, way behind: WiGU (and I'm ashamed to have let this lapse, but then again, it's going to be lots of love when I catch up).

Have read on occasion, but let pile up: Goats, Sluggy Freelance, Elftor, Sexy Losers (slightly ashamed, as it's not really very good).

Print comics that I usually read online: Tom the Dancing Bug, Red Meat, Partially Clips.

Print comic that I read online and in print because it's that good: Maakies.
Title: In the vein of the exploratory thread in Sounds...
Post by: jay-ell on August 27, 2003, 02:41:22 pm
Dailys (in order):

Achewood, of course (http://www.achewood.com)

DS (http://www.dieselsweeties.com)

Kevin and Kell (http://www.kevinandkell.com)

Sluggy Freelance (http://www.sluggy.com)

The Bleat (http://www.lileks.com/bleat) (not a comic)

Weekly or less frequently (not necessarily webcomics):

The Onion (and the AV Club, viz. Savage Love, Red Meat and PGS (http://www.theonion.com)

Things my Girlfriend and I have Argued About (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mil.millington/things.html)

Dribbleglass (http://www.dribbleglass.com)

The Urban Legend Reference Pages (http://www.snopes.com)

Slow Wave (http://www.slowwave.com)

That's my web reading list.  Oh, and I also read Carolyn Hax's advice column and live chat in the Washington Post.  But you'll have to find that link on your own because, frankly, I'm lazy.
Title: In the vein of the exploratory thread in Sounds...
Post by: slink on August 27, 2003, 03:52:37 pm
I read relatively few. I think it's down to how bad my memory is; I can only remember to check a couple of places daily.
So Achewood is my daily one.
I check up on Drew Weing's Journal Strip (http://www.drewweing.com) and Pup over at serializer every few days.
I used to read Elftor fairly regularly but then it introduced me to Achewood.
Title: In the vein of the exploratory thread in Sounds...
Post by: V-Adore on August 27, 2003, 07:04:56 pm
Yeah, the Journal Comic is on my "read ever so often and dive the archives" list. It's very archive-readable, which I like a lot.

Oh! And Cat and Girl (http://www.catandgirl.com) is also excellent and weekly, although I haven't read Monday's strip yet.
Title: In the vein of the exploratory thread in Sounds...
Post by: AlohaDawg on August 27, 2003, 08:33:44 pm
Achewood
Lileks.
Scary Go Round.

Then it gets weird:

National Review Online's Corner.
Hunter S Thompson's  column on ESPN page 2
The Onion
Dave Barry's Blog
MulletsGalore.

Most of these I look at every day although I got behind on Scary Go Round.
Title: In the vein of the exploratory thread in Sounds...
Post by: andalucia on August 27, 2003, 11:09:38 pm
Every Day Comic:
Achewood

Every Week Comics:
salon.com:
Lynda Barry
Tom the Dancing Bug
onion av club:
Red Meat
Pathetic Geek Stories

Occasionally:
BoaSaS
Title: In the vein of the exploratory thread in Sounds...
Post by: sjlimmer on August 28, 2003, 02:49:59 am
Daily:

Achewood
Diesel Sweeties (http://www.clango.org)
Exploding Dog (http://www.explodingdog.com) (Even though it updates infrequently, I check every day, just hoping that Sam has posted some new goodness)
Sluggy Freelance (http://www.sluggy.com)
Urban Legend Reference Pages (http://www.snopes2.com)
Arts and Letters Daily (http://www.aldaily.com)

Weekly:
Serializer, for Achewood, Pup, Red Eye Black Eye and a few others
The Onion (including the AV club, and my weekly dose of Red Meat)
The Striaght Dope (http://www.straightdope.com)
Brunching Shuttlecocks, before they died

Less often:
WWWF Grudge Match (http://www.grudge-match.com/current.html)


Then there are also the technical journals I read online almost every week, but I'll spare you.
Title: In the vein of the exploratory thread in Sounds...
Post by: andalucia on August 28, 2003, 03:11:48 am
ah!  I forgot explodingdog existed!

*rushes madly to explodingdog for huge fix of lo-fi comic goodness*
Title: In the vein of the exploratory thread in Sounds...
Post by: Nabubrush on August 28, 2003, 07:05:47 am
Quote from: "sjlimmer"
. . . but I'll speare you.

Please don't.

Anyway, I thought this was just looking for strips, but I also read pretty much everything on ESPN's Page 2, especially Tuesday Morning Quarterback. Also, most of the columnists at CNNSI (now SI.com), the Onion, Straight Dope, Dan Savage, anything I can find online by David Sedaris, and sometimes FeroJ's whatever it is.
Title: reading list
Post by: satchel on August 28, 2003, 01:43:48 pm
Yesterday, I read in this order:

Penny Arcade
qwantz.com
PvP
Drew Weing (archives, he hasn’t had a new one in a while)
StripCreator (http://www.stripcreator.com) (I’ve got some on there, under ‘satchel.’)
Mall Monkeys
Sinfest
Scary-go-round
Title: In the vein of the exploratory thread in Sounds...
Post by: side_show on September 01, 2003, 05:07:31 am
today: usually a M-F thing with me:

achewood
www.americanelf.com
www.engrish.com

weekly:

www.slowwave.com
http://www.moderntales.com/series.php?name=fancyfroglin&view=current
www.theonion.com

wish they were still around:

www.plif.com (the parking lot is full - great archieve)
www.notasource.com/strip